Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Wiki Link
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Old May 9, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT PPE, Hilton ♢, Hyatt Disc, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jakers3200 View Post
You're right. I asked more clearly, he flat out said I wouldn't get a certificate this year. I told him I would cancel rather than pay $85 annual fee, and that was that-- no offer of a statement credit, retention or anything else. I may reapply in September since it will be 2 years since I got the original bonus. Still have the SPG card, amongst others.
So just so I understand... if we take the upgrade offer - we have to wait until our next anniversary date which will be 1 year from acceptance of the upgrade offer to get the annual cert?
Old May 9, 18, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
So just so I understand... if we take the upgrade offer - we have to wait until our next anniversary date which will be 1 year from acceptance of the upgrade offer to get the annual cert?
That's what I was told, so I cancelled the card on the spot. (That wasn't my plan... the rep pushed me into it a little bit. It's clear they don't value my business.)
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 9, 18, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
See, that's what irks me. If it is a "different" product, why can't those of us who have the existing card apply for this new, "different" product and get the 100,000 points?

We both got the 10,000 offer, not worth upgrading to me.
If you received the bonus for your current card >24 months ago you can cancel it and apply for the 100K card, assuming you are under 5/24.
Old May 9, 18, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT PPE, Hilton ♢, Hyatt Disc, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus View Post
Another downside of the old card is that it may only award an annual "free night" certificate for a hotel up to 25K points. The new card will be for a hotel up to 35K points.
I'm trying to understand the differences in the e-certs.

The old card gives a cert up to 25,000 points, issued at renewal.
The new card gives a cert up to 35,000 points, issued at renewal.

Are these assumptions correct?

The new award chart starting in 2019 will add off peak and peak levels to the standard redemption options. https://members.marriott.com/redeem/
This effectively means that the legacy card will allow us to redeem a Standard or lower Cat 4 hotel and the new card will allow us to redeem a Standard or lower Cat 5 hotel (which basically adds Peak Cat 4 and Off Peak & Standard Cat 5) for an add'l $10 USD. The card also offers increased spend for in-hotel stays and everyday spend (by increasing those categories 1 point).

I received this card 6 months ago and just completed earning my bonus points last month. So I'm 24 months out from any new bonus. I am a LTPP member so have no need of the elite credit spend option. So for me, it appears the decision point is either to cancel altogether and wait 25 mos to reapply, or accept their 10k upgrade offer and get the slightly increased e-cert (although I also lose 6 months of time towards it), as the old legacy card e-cert would arrive Nov 18 and the new upgraded card would arrive May 19. Am I thinking about all this correctly?

It appears that we must pay one AF in yr one before receiving an e-cert (May 19 being the first one) and then I'll get another in May 20. Assuming a $250 value that's $500 in e-certs less 3 annual fees of $95 each ($285). So I'd get $215 in value + 10k points - BUT if I cancel and wait to reapply I'd receive an incremental 90k points (assuming the 100k offer is still around then), which at an estimated devalued .7 cents per is still in $630 in incremental value.

Since I'll have the Starwood card (legacy or luxury) I really can't see why I should keep this card rather than cancel/re-apply. In fact, I can't see why anyone would (unless you need the elite credits towards status). What am I missing? Why would anyone keep this card rather than cancel and reapply when 5/24 is up?
Old May 9, 18, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
I'm trying to understand the differences in the e-certs.

The old card gives a cert up to 25,000 points, issued at renewal.
The new card gives a cert up to 35,000 points, issued at renewal.

Are these assumptions correct?
The free night certificates are issued on the anniversary date. The product change will also change the anniversary date. So if you upgrade, the annual fee might not be assessed at the same time as the free night certificate is issued.

For example, if you upgrade on May 15, 2018, your next certificate will be issued on May 15, 2019, because that will be your new anniversary date.
Old May 10, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, New Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold
My offer is 10K which is BS, but my card is new (applied in January) and it says:
"Upgrading will increase your annual fee to $95.If your current Marriott Rewards credit card has been open less than 12 months and you areupgrading to the new Premier Plus credit card, we will issue a one-time annual fee credit of $95 to your account to cover your first annual fee membership"Now that begins to make the deal interesting. Upgrade, get the $95 credit, then wait a year for the free night to post and then cancel in time to not pay a fee in a year. Then wait until the original 24 months is over (Feb 2020) and then apply to get whatever bonus is being offered.

Any issues with this strategy?

P.S. I currently have two SPG Amex cards (biz & personal) and 2 Chase Marriott cards (biz & personal) primarily to get elite nights. Based on the most recent announcment, I will achieve Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite at year end so will no longer need elite nights, so I will be cancelling most of these cards, except when I can get large bonuses. My experience with "free night" awards is that they are hard to find the right hotel at the right time so it is hard for me to justify keeping a card for these. Sometimes I get good value and sometimes they expire unused.

I will definitely keep the SPG Amex Biz card for the 6 hotel points and the 4 restaurant points. Besides that, I haven't decided if I'll keep any of the others.

Last edited by RobUAIntl; May 10, 18 at 11:55 am
Old May 10, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, New Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold
Has anyone gotten any offers on the Marriott Biz Card? I just tried mine and got "no offers"
Old May 10, 18, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl View Post
Upgrade, get the $95 credit, then wait a year for the free night to post and then cancel in time to not pay a fee in a year.
I don't see how this would work. People are reporting that doing the upgrade will change their anniversary date, so you'd owe the annual fee in January but wouldn't get a free night certificate until May.
Old May 10, 18, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone gotten any offers on the Marriott Biz Card? I just tried mine and got "no offers"
Why would you? You can't convert a Chase biz card to a Chase personal card, so why there be upgrade offers for a conversion that's impossible?
Old May 10, 18, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My offer is 10K which is BS, but my card is new (applied in January)
One of the blogs out there determined that the size of the offer is related to how long you've had the existing card. No one with a card opened in January is going to get a much bigger offer. It's just that people reporting upgrade offers here on FT didn't realize the age of the existing account mattered and thus didn't report the age of their existing account most cases.

Keep in mind that you can't get the bonus for applying for the new card until it's been two years since you got the bonus on the existing card, so they realize that the upgrade is your only option for an existing card open less than 2 years and a couple months, and so of course they give those cards the lowest offers. They realize anyone with an existing card open 2.5 years or longer has the option of cancelling and applying for the new card outright, so they give those cards better offers.
Old May 10, 18, 2:04 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
My offer is 10K which is BS, but my card is new (applied in January) and it says:
"Upgrading will increase your annual fee to $95.If your current Marriott Rewards credit card has been open less than 12 months and you areupgrading to the new Premier Plus credit card, we will issue a one-time annual fee credit of $95 to your account to cover your first annual fee membership"Now that begins to make the deal interesting. Upgrade, get the $95 credit, then wait a year for the free night to post and then cancel in time to not pay a fee in a year. Then wait until the original 24 months is over (Feb 2020) and then apply to get whatever bonus is being offered.

Any issues with this strategy?

P.S. I currently have two SPG Amex cards (biz & personal) and 2 Chase Marriott cards (biz & personal) primarily to get elite nights. Based on the most recent announcment, I will achieve Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite at year end so will no longer need elite nights, so I will be cancelling most of these cards, except when I can get large bonuses. My experience with "free night" awards is that they are hard to find the right hotel at the right time so it is hard for me to justify keeping a card for these. Sometimes I get good value and sometimes they expire unused.

I will definitely keep the SPG Amex Biz card for the 6 hotel points and the 4 restaurant points. Besides that, I haven't decided if I'll keep any of the others.
I'm doing the same but I will keep my old chase card for the 15 Nights in addition to the Starwood business card. If I ever slow down those extra 15 nights will keep me at the Ambassador level..
Old May 10, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, United - Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
One of the blogs out there determined that the size of the offer is related to how long you've had the existing card. No one with a card opened in January is going to get a much bigger offer. It's just that people reporting upgrade offers here on FT didn't realize the age of the existing account mattered and thus didn't report the age of their existing account most cases.

Keep in mind that you can't get the bonus for applying for the new card until it's been two years since you got the bonus on the existing card, so they realize that the upgrade is your only option for an existing card open less than 2 years and a couple months, and so of course they give those cards the lowest offers. They realize anyone with an existing card open 2.5 years or longer has the option of cancelling and applying for the new card outright, so they give those cards better offers.
dont think this is accurate - Iíve had my card for many years and got no offer.
Old May 10, 18, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jtp1947 View Post
For those trying to qualify for SNAís, the elite night credit for 3K spend will get you there faster.
Absolutely. I'm used to having them with SPG so it'll be nice to have with the combined program.
Old May 10, 18, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, SPG & Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I asked this on Twitter, they say there may be other changes but more voices may be helpfull.

"The new $95 Premier Marriott and the two $95 SPG cards will get a free 35K points night per year. The $99 Chase Marriott Business gets a free 25K points night per year. Seems very lopsided, I'm sure there is something in the works to even this out right? Otherwise why hold the card?"

After their reply,

"I saw that the other day, that's how I saw the discrepancy! Hopefully you all are working to equalize the annual free night at 35K, otherwise there won't be any reason to hold the Marriott Business card, especially at $99 per year."
Old May 11, 18, 3:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Had an interesting call with a CSR yesterday related to this. I called in and asked about cancelling my new card and applying again because my upgrade offer was so bad. She stated, based on her experiences, that offers like this tend to last 3-5 months, but no guarantees. It's up to the marketing department. Also, the 60 day thing is related to the amount of time it could take for the closure of the first card to hit your credit report. I'm not sure why that would matter if the chase people are looking up if I have an active card or not. My anniversary for the current card is June 9, so my current plan is to cancel the card on the 16th and probably apply again around 7/4. I don't want to lose the 15 elite nights and the cat 5 cert is still useful to me. With the 50 night threshold for the suite night awards, I want to make sure I get them the first year (I'm lifetime plat).

Search this Thread