Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So if you upgrade your current card, you skip a year of getting the free certificate? (since it is on your anniversary, not upon application)...how can that be worth it since the only thing of value to me is the 1-5 certificate I currently get (and I don't usually have any problems getting (much) more than the annual fee value out of it.

Or am I reading it wrong and you don't skip a year on the certificate?
I assume the anniversary remains the same (i.e., the one when you originally applied for the old card).

My renewal is in Oct. I have already used (applied, but not stayed) my certificate from the last anniversary. My assumption is that if I upgrade now (20k points), I would get a certificate for 35k in October.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Any idea whether you will get a new card with a new number if you upgrade? Or will the card number stay the same and only the card appearance will change? I’d like to upgrade as I got a decent offer but I won’t be home to get the new card for about 10 weeks. When Chase did away with the Fairmont card, the replacement CSP had the same number on the new card and I still used the old Fairmont card until I got around to activating the CSP. If I can continue using my existing card, I’ll do it.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by linsj
I clicked the website link upstream in this thread.
Thanks. Think I'll wait until I receive something from Chase. I assume they'll contact us individually if they want us.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hilton HHonors Gold
My anniversary for the Marriott Rewards premier was April 1. That was the date they charged me the $85. Like the rest of you I was waiting to see what they would offer me to upgrade instead of cancelling the card. They offered 10,000 pts which is an insult compared to 100,000 pts for a new card. I'm under 5/24 and it's been over 2 years since I last got a sign-up bonus. So I called tonight (5/4/18) to see if I could cancel the card and get my membership fee refunded. He said you have 30 days and after looking at my account he said, yes, you have until 5/5 to get a refund. Then he offered me a $90 statement credit if I stay. I said okay, since I was afraid someone would notice I was over 30 days and not refund the membership fee. I still want to cancel and get the new card with the 100,000 points. Does anyone know how long I have to wait after the statement credit to cancel the card? Also, how long will they be offering the 100,000 pt new card offer?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Maxie1101
My anniversary for the Marriott Rewards premier was April 1. That was the date they charged me the $85. Like the rest of you I was waiting to see what they would offer me to upgrade instead of cancelling the card. I'm under 5/24 and it's been over 2 years since I last got a sign-up bonus. So I called tonight (5/4/18) to see if I could cancel the card and get my membership fee refunded. He said you have 30 days and after looking at my account he said, yes, you have until 5/5 to get a refund
If you cancel and are refunded the $85, won't you lose the Cat. 1-5 cert?

I'm in a very similar situation, only my $85 annual fee and Cat. 1-5 cert was just issued a few days ago.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I assume the anniversary remains the same (i.e., the one when you originally applied for the old card).

My renewal is in Oct. I have already used (applied, but not stayed) my certificate from the last anniversary. My assumption is that if I upgrade now (20k points), I would get a certificate for 35k in October.
I saw your post, and looked at the terms of the offer.

Please note that completing this product change may result in a change to the month you receive your annual Marriott Free Night Award e-certificate. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. For the list of participating hotels where you can redeem the 35,000 points, log on to MarriottRewards.com/Use or call 1-800-321-7396. Please see your rewards brochure, which arrives within 7-10 days of your new card, for more details.
It is unclear to me if that means that the statement date on the upgraded card might be different, or the account open date changes.

Edited to add: After talking to a rep on the phone, the anniversary date changes when there is a product change, and the Premier Plus is a different product than the Premier. For example, my annual fee is billed in January. If I upgraded in May, then I would still pay the annual fee in January, but wouldn't get the free night until May.

Last edited by jeanie; May 4, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I got the 10K offer ! I just opened up my Marriott Visa on Dec. 8/ 2017 under the special offer of 10x points on my first $12K of ALL purchases, which I just maxed out last week. As of now I have 28 night credits incl. 4 from my $12K spending + 1 coming in Aug. from my lone SPG stay this Feb. I expect to stay 6 nights this year to hit 35. If I keep my old card till Dec. 2018, I'll get the 15 Visa annual night credits to hit New Platinum. If I switch to the new card now, I won't get them until Feb. 2019!
LF72 likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jeanie
I saw your post, and looked at the terms of the offer.

It is unclear to me if that means that the statement date on the upgraded card might be different, or the account open date changes.

Edited to add: After talking to a rep on the phone, the anniversary date changes when there is a product change, and the Premier Plus is a different product than the Premier. For example, my annual fee is billed in January. If I upgraded in May, then I would still pay the annual fee in January, but wouldn't get the free night until May.
See, that's what irks me. If it is a "different" product, why can't those of us who have the existing card apply for this new, "different" product and get the 100,000 points?

We both got the 10,000 offer, not worth upgrading to me.
jeanie likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:03 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Yeah, I'd rather get the new card for 100K (rather than 20K). But I don't want to blaze that trail-- I'd first like to see reports of people cancelling their card, applying for their new card and getting the bonus. I'm still not 100% sure I'd get the bonus. Happy to be proven wrong.

And I would rather upgrade for 50K rather than reapply for 100K, in large part because my anniversary date is coming up, so upgrading effectively gets me a free hotel night (worth 35K).
I canceled yesterday, after calling 2 reps and also asking for a supervisor. I am reapplying in 60 days like I was told to wait, and I will report back asap whether or not I got the 100,000. We r going to get a new mattress and buy airfare, so the $5000 will go on pretty quick. Then I always have timeshare maintenance fees I can prepay if the airfare isn't looking too good. I should have the money on the card in less then a week.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:08 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
I was told yesterday by 2 different reps PLUS a supervisor , so 3 people that if I cancel, wait 60 days and reapply I can get the 100,000 points, so I cancelled
Brendan likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mav
I canceled yesterday, after calling 2 reps and also asking for a supervisor. I am reapplying in 60 days like I was told to wait, and I will report back asap whether or not I got the 100,000. We r going to get a new mattress and buy airfare, so the $5000 will go on pretty quick. Then I always have timeshare maintenance fees I can prepay if the airfare isn't looking too good. I should have the money on the card in less then a week.
if it’s been 24 months since your last bonus when you reapply, you’ll get the 100k. Your exact cancel date is irrelevant so long as you cancel at some point before your application date
Old May 5, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by getagb

if it’s been 24 months since your last bonus when you reapply, you’ll get the 100k. Your exact cancel date is irrelevant so long as you cancel at some point before your application date
I agree, and waiting 60 days is dangerous because the offer might not be around that long.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
These upgrade offers are not so great. My wife was offered 20K and I was offered zip. (Maybe that's understandable. She's a lot better looking than me.)

We've both had our Chase Marriott cards for many years and do put some spend on them.

I'm going to sit tight for now and wait to see what develops, for 3 reasons.
1. If not enough people take the upgrade bait, perhaps there will be a better offer down the road?

2. We have a trip planned for April 2019, so I don't want to risk changing the date we receive our annual free night certificate (which we currently both get in March). I'll just cross my fingers and wait to see how many points will be required for the hotel we plan to stay at. Thats an unknown until August 1.

3. With the old card, I'd still have the option of picking up a few elite night credits if we needed them to maintain our status level.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Thanks for sharing this useful info!
A very sutle difference I noticed when comparing, which I think may get easily overlooked, is the difference in earned status, On the old card you get 15 eqn per year + 1 additional per every 3K spend; so this can easily put you halfway if not closer to the 50 for Gold ( AKA new plat ). However, on the new card while you do get "automatic silver status," I am not seeing anything abou eqn? So I am assuming to get to the 50 it means 50 buts in beds?? Really something to keep in mind for the long haul as while that 100K sounds good now, that'd be gone quick in one vacation, while the 15 eqn per year is an important thing if you're like me plugging along slolwy but surely for that 10 years to get lifetime.

BTW Chase does have a reputation to honor grandfathered in cards and I am hoping they do hang onto this old one for a few more years as that 15 eqn per year will be very useful, especially if my travels slows
Old May 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Brendan
I got the 10K offer ! I just opened up my Marriott Visa on Dec. 8/ 2017 under the special offer of 10x points on my first $12K of ALL purchases, which I just maxed out last week. As of now I have 28 night credits incl. 4 from my $12K spending + 1 coming in Aug. from my lone SPG stay this Feb. I expect to stay 6 nights this year to hit 35. If I keep my old card till Dec. 2018, I'll get the 15 Visa annual night credits to hit New Platinum. If I switch to the new card now, I won't get them until Feb. 2019!
Waiting until your 15 nights and the free certificate post in December, and then considering the upgrade to Premier Plus sounds like the best plan in your situation. Then your new anniversary date will be close to the old one. I'm probably going to cancel the card before my next annual fee posts. I wanted to get the free night certificate before cancelling. If I upgrade, that won't happen. I already have over 750 nights. So the nights don't matter to me as much anymore.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.