Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Garbage - 10k 'bonus' to upgrade.
The increased cost and reduction in benefits for the 3k/elite nite and trip insurance are not made up by getting 1 additional point per dollar spent at Marriott.

They can keep their new card.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv

I'm being offered 50,000 points after my first purchase. Is it worth it?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Shounak
Do you need/want 50K points? Do you want more than that?

David
Old May 3, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
There's no easy answer to that. Depends on your stay patterns.

You could theoretically apply separately for the new card rather than converting and get a higher bonus, but it may come with minimum spend, and that's a new inquiry/new account on your credit report.
If you don't spend a lot on the card regularly 50,000 points sounds easy. If you are clearing a lot of spend, you have to weigh the loss of the travel insurance benefit and 1 elite night per $3,000 in spend moving across the card against the slightly higher earn rate on everyday purchases, 1 extra point per dollar on marriott purchases, and the certificate being good for up to 35K point redemption rather than a 25K one on the old card.

With my current patterns (0-20% travel per month, old lifetime plat/new lifetime premier plat, not moving much if any spend on the card right now) I'd convert for 50K points. This is an individual consideration though, I don't need to chase nights anymore to re-qualify for current status or to qualify for any higher lifetime tier.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, DL Medallion, MR Plat
For people who have done this before, If you cancel the card, how long to do have to wait to apply for the new card?
(assuming you are not 5/24)
Old May 3, 2018, 10:13 am

So a couple notes. I called up Chase to get more details around the pts bonus. They said they are having system issues and the user can only see the bonus if they go to their website (it's targeted).

If you tell them you are considering cancelling the card they will offer you a $90 statement credit right there on the spot with no restrictions (score!).

I am going to keep the card open for a couple months. My card anniversary is next month so I want the free room certificate and 15 nights bonus. Then after that I plan to cancel the card and get the new one to try and get the 100k bonus offer. Hopefully it's still around.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:24 am

Yes. That's a killer offer. I would've been happy with 20K.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
... you have to weigh the loss of the travel insurance benefit ...
I missed that. Does the new card not have the same Travel coverage?
Old May 3, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by BobNoxious
I missed that. Does the new card not have the same Travel coverage?
Found it.

New card: https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...ravel_benefits
Old card: https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...ravel_benefits
Old May 3, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jakers3200
Yes. That's a killer offer. I would've been happy with 20K.
Just curious - you wouldnt rather cancel and sign up for the 100k?
Old May 3, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Just curious - you wouldn't rather cancel and sign up for the 100k?
Yeah, I'd rather get the new card for 100K (rather than 20K). But I don't want to blaze that trail-- I'd first like to see reports of people cancelling their card, applying for their new card and getting the bonus. I'm still not 100% sure I'd get the bonus. Happy to be proven wrong.

And I would rather upgrade for 50K rather than reapply for 100K, in large part because my anniversary date is coming up, so upgrading effectively gets me a free hotel night (worth 35K).
Old May 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Also just realized that I'm at 5/24 until 5/24 (no, seriously). Which, because I write farces in my spare time, is the 2 year anniversary of the current Marriott Chase card. Thought I was in the clear until I remembered the Lowe's card (FFS!) I opened this year. So no new card until at least June, and if I get one now, might be locked out of any new Chase cards for a while.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Just a heads up. The terms and conditions say you can't get the bonus if you have the old card or have gotten the bonus for the old card in the last 24 months.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Just a heads up. The terms and conditions say you can't get the bonus if you have the old card or have gotten the bonus for the old card in the last 24 months.
Correct however there is nothing that says you can't cancel the card then sign up for the new card to get the bonus. I've talked to a couple Chase reps and both confirmed you can do this but to the above poster's pt, it would make you feel better if someone responds to the forum and said they applied this and it worked (probably won't know for some time).
Old May 3, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I got offer for 20K points on first spend. My existing premier plus has anniversary in November (I have had card for 2+ years so 2 year thing is taken care of. I am also under 5/24)

I am thinking of keeping my card until end of November to get my free night (25k points). By then we will also know what 25k and 35k points mean and if I can live with 25k point night
Once I get my anniversary free night and and elite nights post, cancel the card and start the new card. If I find no use for 25k point night, then I will convert in August and get 35k point free night voucher

The question I have is. Let's say I cancel the existing card in December and open the new card in January 2019, will I get 15 elite nights again in January 2019? If yes, that may be my best bet.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.