Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by marauders4
Marriott: 670 Nights, 2 Million Points, Credit Card valid through 10/18
Starwood: 197 Nights, 5 Year Status

I'm trying to reach the LTPP on Marriott legacy because I don't believe I will have the 10 years of combined status (Will be confirmed in August)

When my credit card comes up for renewal later this year do you think I will get 15 nights in Oct/Nov or will they not hit until 2019?
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands
I am in a similar situation with LTPP on the line.

Currently I have:

SPG - 566 Lifetime nights and 11 years of Platinum.
Marriott - 162 Lifetime nights and 1 year of Platinum.

I also have future bookings of another 6 nights with SPG and another 8 nights with Marriott. This takes my combined total to 566 + 162 + 6 + 8 = 742. Now my personal Marriott legacy card is up for renewal in early December. If I get the 15 nights that I have been getting for the last 4 years then I am easily getting over 750 nights. If not then I need to come up with another 8 nights. I don't have the option of the meetings since I am currently in a city with no Marriott property and will be here till mid September.

It would be great to get confirmation from those whose legacy cards have been up for renewal recently. If the 15 nights are still posting then I have nothing to worry about. If not then I need to book another 8 nights.
I have a legacy Marriott personal card from 2016, my 15 elite night credit posted to my Marriott account 2 days after my anniversary date of card approval (note: I did not get instant approval on that card, there was a 25 day delay from my application to approval and Marriott/Chase counts my anniversary date from the day it was approved, not applied for). 15 nights credited in May this year.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Has anyone who cancelled the old card and subsequently applied for, and received, the new one seen an additional 15 nights credit in their account? I have no idea if this would occur but potentially intrigued by it.
I guess anything is possible but the details for the new card clearly state the 15 night credit is "coming in 2019"
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The upgrade offer is back. The link in the email I received today is:
https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewa...;lk=1000280442
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by linsj
The upgrade offer is back. The link in the email I received today is:
https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewa...;lk=1000280442
I'm still offered a measly 10k points to upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Us too. Don't you think that if you offer someone 10K points half a dozen times, and they continue to ignore you, that you'd sweeten the pot instead of offering 10K yet again?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If we upgrade, does Chase charge the $95 annual fee right away?

I figure that Marriott points are worth about 1/2 a cent per point/ So 10K to upgrade doesn't justify a $95 annual fee charge in my mind.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I guess anything is possible but the details for the new card clearly state the 15 night credit is "coming in 2019"
I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
If we upgrade, does Chase charge the $95 annual fee right away?

I figure that Marriott points are worth about 1/2 a cent per point/ So 10K to upgrade doesn't justify a $95 annual fee charge in my mind.
Good question on the timing of the charge. I might assume that it's not until either January 1 or March 1, since that's when they will now credit the 15 nights, but that's a huge assumption (aka guess). But I wouldn't want to be charged twice in 1 year so there must be some delay.

I think your increase is only $10, if you're paying $85/year currently like I am.

I might be looking at it too simply, but it seems to boil down to this for your $10:
- 10,000 bonus points (means nothing)
- More points per purchase on the new card (this could be significant depending on your spend)
- Free night cert is one level higher on the new card (low importance to me)
- Lose the elite night per each $3,000 spent (this could be significant depending on your spend)

For me, I'd likely never make 75+ nights without the 15 free + 1 per $3000. My work trips tend to be one night at a time, so they just don't add up that way. Those extra 7-10 nights I get for the spend put me over the top. The extra points on the new card are nice, and once I'm certain of my LT status, I may switch to the new card, or just scrap the Marriott card completely and find a new one that's more meaningful to me.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Good question on the timing of the charge. I might assume that it's not until either January 1 or March 1, since that's when they will now credit the 15 nights, but that's a huge assumption (aka guess). But I wouldn't want to be charged twice in 1 year so there must be some delay.

I think your increase is only $10, if you're paying $85/year currently like I am.

I might be looking at it too simply, but it seems to boil down to this for your $10...
The elite nights post by March 1, but it posts for cardmembers who held the card as of 12/31: https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...4R8&iCELL=6C1Y
So if the fee were tied to the elite nights, it would be charged in Dec or Jan. But that's not how card fees usually work, they post on or around the card anniversary date.

In any case, I think the concern isn't over a $10 increase, it's whether you would pay both the old $85 fee and the new $95 fee if you upgrade shortly after your old anniversary date.

In my case, my old card anniversary is in November, and I'll likely need the 15 2018 nights to qualify for plat, so I have to wait until late November or December to upgrade. But I have to upgrade before 12/31 or I'll miss out on the 15 nights for 2019. Will I have to pay $180 total over those few weeks? Or is a prorated portion of the old fee rebated when you upgrade?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by swag

In any case, I think the concern isn't over a $10 increase, it's whether you would pay both the old $85 fee and the new $95 fee if you upgrade shortly after your old anniversary date.

In my case, my old card anniversary is in November, and I'll likely need the 15 2018 nights to qualify for plat, so I have to wait until late November or December to upgrade. But I have to upgrade before 12/31 or I'll miss out on the 15 nights for 2019. Will I have to pay $180 total over those few weeks? Or is a prorated portion of the old fee rebated when you upgrade?
Yes, I believe this is the real question. I'm also a November anniversary, but don't see any reason to switch. I suppose you could switch cards after your anniversary and then ask for a refund of the $85. However, a case could be made that we are paying for the elite nights and the room cert. So if you get those benefits in November and again in March, you should pay both fees. I don't agree with this, especially since the new card doesn't seem like an upgrade to me, but it could happen.

I'm fairly certain I'll be LT Plat early next year anyway (depends on how many years they count for me), so the credit card simply becomes a point generator -- something to think about if you are close to achieving LT, those Chase elite nights may not mean as much.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:48 am

Yes, I believe this is the real question. I'm also a November anniversary, but don't see any reason to switch. I suppose you could switch cards after your anniversary and then ask for a refund of the $85. However, a case could be made that we are paying for the elite nights and the room cert....
Here's my experience. My old Chase Marriott Premier (personal) card had an anniversary in early April. I received the "free" night certificate and promptly applied it to an upcoming stay in Bangkok in late 2018. I paid the $85 annual fee.

My upgrade offer for the new Premier Plus card was zip, nada, and zero points.

So in late May, I decided to cancel my old Premier card, wait a bit, and then apply for the 100K offer for a new Premier Plus personal card. When I canceled the old card, I was both surprised and pleased that Chase refunded the $85 annual fee. I didn't have to ask - the phone rep told me that I would receive a check in the mail.

Thinking back about the dates, when I closed the old account, I may have been just within 30 days after the statement closing date for the April statement that contained my $85 annual fee.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Here's my experience. My old Chase Marriott Premier (personal) card had an anniversary in early April. I received the "free" night certificate and promptly applied it to an upcoming stay in Bangkok in late 2018. I paid the $85 annual fee.

My upgrade offer for the new Premier Plus card was zip, nada, and zero points.

So in late May, I decided to cancel my old Premier card, wait a bit, and then apply for the 100K offer for a new Premier Plus personal card. When I canceled the old card, I was both surprised and pleased that Chase refunded the $85 annual fee. I didn't have to ask - the phone rep told me that I would receive a check in the mail.

Thinking back about the dates, when I closed the old account, I may have been just within 30 days after the statement closing date for the April statement that contained my $85 annual fee.
Did you pay the new $95 fee immediately (first month's bill) when you got the new card?

Good point though...if I do stick with the Marriott card, I'm more likely to cancel and take the 100k offer. Unfortunately, I'll have a lot of auto-pays to unwind from the current card. Another reason I don't see a lot of value in switching.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I'd imagine there is reason to believe that if the 100k offer is not extended, that it will probably come back in the near future (such as in August when the programs officially combine), right?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:39 am

Did you pay the new $95 fee immediately (first month's bill) when you got the new card?
Haven't received my first bill yet. (I canceled the old card in late May, then I applied for the new card in the latter half of June. I got the "we'll let you know" message when I submitted my app online, so I called in a few days later to obtain approval for the new card. Working on the minimum spend and expecting my first bill at the very end of this month or maybe early August.)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I'd imagine there is reason to believe that if the 100k offer is not extended, that it will probably come back in the near future (such as in August when the programs officially combine), right?
I suppose it depends on what kind of uptake they get on switches and new applications. Regardless, there's always going to be some kind of sign up offer that's more substantial that the ridiculous 10k points they're offering for switching cards now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.