Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Post Announcement Credit Cards Comparison for US residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I thought it might be worthwhile commencing a thread comparing the new credit card options to we can make better informed decisions without lamenting what was or might have been ...

As I see it, there are at least three main credit card options. Two versions of the Chase Visa and an Amex. Not really sure why the Amex has an a SPG label -- perhaps because of a contract with Chase for now.

All three cards offer 15 nights.
Unclear to me whether there are additional qualification nights for spend with the $95 card but the $85 card gives one night per $3000 in spend.
They provide limited status which is unimportant to those of us with lifetime status.
The Chase cards are $85 and $95 and offer either 5X or 6X points on Marriott spend.
The $85 card offers a 25,000 point night and the $95 card offers a 35,000 point night.
The Amex Card is $450 but gives a $300 Marriott credit so that really makes the cost $150. It allows an global entry credit every four years which reduces the annualized cost further.
The Amex Card gives 6x credit and a 50,000 point night.
The Amex Card gives Boingo wifi and Priority Pass Access (if you already have an Amex plat then you already have this)

So the $95 card over the $85 card seems a no brainer unless I'm missing something. For $10 I get 6x instead of 5x and a better room.

As for the Amex Card, its $55 a year more than the $95 card after the $300 credit. For that, you get a 50,000 point room instead of a 35,000 point room and a global entry credit every four years. I have an Amex plat so already have the Boingo and Priority Pass so that's not of value. As noted above, I have lifetime status so the status issues don't apply. Both have 15 point annual night credit and 6x earning. In essence, seems like I'm paying $55 a year for 15,000 points.

Any other relevant factors for comparison?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
It allows an global entry credit every four years which reduces the annualized cost further.
I always found it riduculous that they'll pay for Global Entry, but won't pay for Nexus, which includes Global Entry but costs half as much.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I thought it might be worthwhile commencing a thread comparing the new credit card options to we can make better informed decisions without lamenting what was or might have been ...

As I see it, there are at least three main credit card options. Two versions of the Chase Visa and an Amex. Not really sure why the Amex has an a SPG label -- perhaps because of a contract with Chase for now.

Unclear to me whether there are additional qualification nights for spend with the $95 card but the $85 card gives one night per $3000 in spend.
They provide limited status which is unimportant to those of us with lifetime status.
The Chase cards are $85 and $95 and offer either 5X or 6X points on Marriott spend.
The $85 card offers a 25,000 point night and the $95 card offers a 35,000 point night.
The Amex Card is $450 but gives a $300 Marriott credit so that really makes the cost $150. It allows an global entry credit every four years which reduces the annualized cost further.
The Amex Card gives Boingo wifi and Priority Pass Access (if you already have an Amex plat then you already have this)

So the $95 card over the $85 card seems a no brainer unless I'm missing something. For $10 I get 6x instead of 5x and a better room.

As for the Amex Card, its $55 a year more than the $95 card after the $300 credit. For that, you get a 50,000 point room instead of a 35,000 point room and a global entry credit every four years. I have an Amex plat so already have the Boingo and Priority Pass so that's not of value. As noted above, I have lifetime status so the status issues don't apply. Both have 15 point annual night credit and 6x earning. In essence, seems like I'm paying $55 a year for 15,000 points.

When you say 5X and 6X points, I suspect that you really mean five extra points per dollar and six extra points per dollar, not five or six times the points you would otherwise receive.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

There is also a $95 AmEx, which seems to be exactly the same as the $95 chase card.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
There is also a $95 AmEx, which seems to be exactly the same as the $95 chase card.
I think the $95 AmEx includes Boingo which the Chase card doesn't.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you say 5X and 6X points, I suspect that you really mean five extra points per dollar and six extra points per dollar, not five or six times the points you would otherwise receive.
Yes. As a Plat Premier, I'd be earning a total of 23.5 points per dollar (vs 15 now) on purchases with one of the better cards.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yes. As a Plat Premier, I'd be earning a total of 23.5 points per dollar (vs 15 now) on purchases with one of the better cards.
23.5 vs. 21. You should be getting 21 today if you're Marriott Plat using SPG Amex.

I currently have 2 Marriott Visas, 1 SPG Amex, 1 Hyatt Visa, and 2 Hilton Amex Ascend cards (their $95 card). Also the Citi Prestige card (my premium card - net $200 af with Priority Pass, GE, and some other Citi stuff)

Haven't locked in on my 2019 CC strategy, but I *think* I'm going for the following, assuming that the value of 1 Marriott point stays at about 1 cent or a little above. (This implies Travel Packages staying structured as today and accepting a little bit of category devaluation.)

- Keep both $95 MR Visas. General spend Visa and use at Marriotts. More than pays for itself with the free nights, even if Card #2 sits in a drawer.
- $450 SPG Amex. $150 net cost, and a 50k hotel night in the new program should always be worth well more than $150. This will become my Priority Pass source.
- Keep one $95 HH Amex. Maybe spend a little there to get the free night. Keeps HH Gold status. No point in the 2nd one - not really worth doing two separate spends to get HH free nights.
- Keep the HY Visa. $85 buys a Category 4 Hyatt night. That's still easily worth it.

Will drop Citi Prestige and the 2nd HH Amex.

The super-premium HH Amex has too many strings on the credits. I don't spend money on airline incidentals and I don't always visit the short list of Hiltons eligible for the 2nd $250 credit. I can live with HH Gold instead of Diamond as long as I have a good LT Marriott status.

I don't stay at enough Ritzes to make the Ritz $450 card worth it. It's too bad, because that card is super boss for people who do.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't stay at enough Ritzes to make the Ritz $450 card worth it. It's too bad, because that card is super boss for people who do.
Actually it is a great card if you travel more than a little - the $300 rebate is not automatic but easy to get, the $100 off flights as Visa Infinite is also very useful, and it used to be a very easy way to get Gold status.

In the several years I've got the card, the retention offers more than paid for the card itself (last year they actually paid me to keep it open).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
If you're going to compare the cards, you might also want to bring in Ritz-Carlton Rewards card at $450, as a comparison to the Amex SPG $450 AF card.
Brendan and Nash_Andrew like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I always found it riduculous that they'll pay for Global Entry, but won't pay for Nexus, which includes Global Entry but costs half as much.
I applied for GE and Nexus at the same time and was covered for both however if you apply for Nexus and GE then you get nothing....
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Can we add the Chase Marriott Business card into the mix? I seem to be paying $4 ($99) more for less benefits of the $95 card !!! There's an asterix saying changes coming but I wonder what they may be?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United

For those who do NOT have lifetime status at the Plat level, and who are status hunting.... it should be noted that the old $85 Card does provide 1 elite credit per $3k spend. The new $95 Card does not (or at least it doesn’t appear to).

So so if you opt for the $95 Card, you miss out on those night credits for every $3k of spend.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kavok

For those who do NOT have lifetime status at the Plat level, and who are status hunting.... it should be noted that the old $85 Card does provide 1 elite credit per $3k spend. The new $95 Card does not (or at least it doesn’t appear to).

So so if you opt for the $95 Card, you miss out on those night credits for every $3k of spend.
I wonder if that's a typo. Seems odd.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:14 pm

The trade seems to be that if you spend $35k on the $95 card you get automatic gold.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by ROCAT
The trade seems to be that if you spend $35k on the $95 card you get automatic gold.
If you spend $30k on the old $85 card, you by default have the new Gold status of 25 nights, as you would have earned the base 15 night credits for having the card + 10 night credits (10 x $3k spend). So effectively, $30k spend on the old $85 card gets you Gold, even if you never set foot in a Marriott hotel. Better deal than spending $35k on the new $95 card.

And lets face it... the new Gold doesn't get you very much. Platinum is where the real benefits start kicking in. Thus the night credits become of much more value then, as they help you get there faster. As someone who will not have lifetime status, I am planning to keep the old card for the reasons mentioned above.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:03 pm

If you spend $30k on the old $85 card, you by default have the new Gold status of 25 nights, as you would have earned the base 15 night credits for having the card + 10 night credits (10 x $3k spend). So effectively, $30k spend on the old $85 card gets you Gold, even if you never set foot in a Marriott hotel. Better deal than spending $35k on the new $95 card.

And lets face it... the new Gold doesn't get you very much. Platinum is where the real benefits start kicking in. Thus the night credits become of much more value then, as they help you get there faster. As someone who will not have lifetime status, I am planning to keep the old card for the reasons mentioned above.
What Gold are they referring to is the million dollar question. The new card starts May 3rd so are they referring to May 3rd Gold (future Plat) or August Gold.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.