Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
How to see your lifetime nights and points without having to call Marriott: Best way to see your Lifetime points and nights
Print Wikipost

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

Old May 9, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ncgator
can you confirm that your lifetime Marriott points did not drop 48,000 points when you transferred them to United miles?
Anyone know the answer to this? I am wanting to transfer UA>>MR>>UA if it will increase my LT points, otherwise I will try MR>>SPG>>UA>>MR. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old May 10, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Remember that both of these lifetime status schemes remain in effect for this year, but here’s the best part: We’ve received confirmation from Marriott that your activity for the rest of the year at both Marriott and SPG hotels will count toward both of the legacy programs’ qualification criteria.
As someone gunning for LT Plat on Marriott but primarily staying at SPG hotels for the remainder of the year, this is huge (if true). Anyone hear the same?

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lifet...riott-program/
Old May 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by sam2k2002
As someone gunning for LT Plat on Marriott but primarily staying at SPG hotels for the remainder of the year, this is huge (if true). Anyone hear the same?

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lifet...riott-program/
I'm assuming "remainder of the year" means Aug 1st->Dec 31st? It would be great as I have a few SPG stays and would love to count towards my Marriott count.

However, i'd like to see that officially somewhere rather than on a blog.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
The Marriott site currently shows you get LTPP if you previously had Marriott LTP or have 750 nights and 10 years Platinum status. This was done to appease the SPG crowd. So is the 2.0 MM points not a requirement any longer? Seems unfair if SPG members only need the 750 nights, but Marriott members need both nights and points.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
For legacy Marriott members, is it possible to buy 30K SPG points and then in August, when they convert by 3x, those points will turn into 90K. Will those 90K count towards LIfetime Status under the legacy lifetime criteria?
Old May 10, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by jacca83
For legacy Marriott members, is it possible to buy 30K SPG points and then in August, when they convert by 3x, those points will turn into 90K. Will those 90K count towards LIfetime Status under the legacy lifetime criteria?
SPG point transfers dont affect LT points
Old May 10, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacca83
Directly transferred SPG points haven't counted towards Lifetime Points up to now, and we see no reason to expect them to suddenly count in August.

The only possible way to have them count (if you haven't used the transfer from someone else yet) is to have someone else buy the SPG points (with your money), transfer them to their Marriott account (this other person must not care about lifetime points obviously), and then transfer them from their Marriott account to your Marriott account. But that's limited to 50k, so you couldn't use that workaround for the whole 90k.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Directly transferred SPG points haven't counted towards Lifetime Points up to now, and we see no reason to expect them to suddenly count in August.

The only possible way to have them count (if you haven't used the transfer from someone else yet) is to have someone else buy the SPG points (with your money), transfer them to their Marriott account (this other person must not care about lifetime points obviously), and then transfer them from their Marriott account to your Marriott account. But that's limited to 50k, so you couldn't use that workaround for the whole 90k.
It looks like you could if you booked a 90k award at the same time you transfer the points.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
I just got off the phone with a Marriott customer service rep, he had to look for the answer for probably 20 minutes, but I wanted to know about the ten year thing. I'm Marriott Rewards, I couldn't see a way to find that out. He said that the ten years platinum have to be for the entire year. He said that if you missed platinum during a year, then made it the next year, the next year did not count, as you were not platinum the whole year. He also said that I was the first to ask him that, how to find out how many years I've been platinum with Marriott, so I think I'm not going to take that as gospel. I'd love to know if anyone else has heard the same thing.

As it happens he said I'd been seven full, three more partial, so that will make a difference to me, I'm at 1.5M points and 800 nights, I'll get to 1.6M, won't get to 2.0M. Honestly to me it looks like not much difference at all between platinum and the coming platinum premier, all I care about is executive lounge/breakfast and late check out. Maybe it will get diluted in the future as was pointed out earlier..
Old May 10, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Because it would count twice then. They said they will merge the LT achievements in August ... so it makes sense it does not count when you transfer and then again in August. But yes, they do need to clarify that officially.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will SPG points count in August for MR LTP status under the legacy MR rules? I'm not convinced.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will SPG points count in August for MR LTP status under the legacy MR rules? I'm not convinced.
At this point I’m convinced the lack of clarity is intentional
stc likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I am expecting that SPG points that get merged will never increment your MR Lifetime points counter. On August 1, either they will do an auto-merge or we will have to go in and click on something, but when we do that the counter won't increase just because we had a bunch of SPG points sitting in the account.

Otherwise, all Marriott members within striking distance of LTPP would simply transfer all existing MR points to SPG on July 31 and then have them come back on August 1 and double-dip on LT points.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Otherwise, all Marriott members within striking distance of LTPP would simply transfer all existing MR points to SPG on July 31 and then have them come back on August 1 and double-dip on LT points.
Unless of course SPG accounts don't get their "LT points" balance updated by transferring points from your Marriott account. In which case, your SPG LT points balance would not be affected by transferring points between your two accounts (just like your Marriott account isn't affected.)

If that is the case, then they could, if they so desired, add your LT SPG account point balance (maybe multiplied by 3) to your LT Marriott point balance and get a fairly accurate final number. (This of course assumes that Starwood is able to accurately calculate your LT SPG points balance.)
Old May 11, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Major G
The Marriott site currently shows you get LTPP if you previously had Marriott LTP or have 750 nights and 10 years Platinum status. This was done to appease the SPG crowd. So is the 2.0 MM points not a requirement any longer? Seems unfair if SPG members only need the 750 nights, but Marriott members need both nights and points.
If I'm reading https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ correctly it's basically:

1. Get MR LTP by 12/31/18 (750 nights, 2 million points)
2. Have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the combined program by 12/31/18

So for MR members, I believe it's basically you need 750 nights plus EITHER the points or the years.
Major G and getagb like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.