Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
How to see your lifetime nights and points without having to call Marriott: Best way to see your Lifetime points and nights
Print Wikipost

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Here's a better question:

Are there any points that don't count toward Lifetime status other than transfers (directly) from SPG?

Plus points which you already have but transfer to someone else deduct from your lifetime points, and thus count against your Lifetime status.
I don't believe there's anything that doesn't count towards or against lifetime points minus the conditions you stated above.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Are there any points that don't count toward Lifetime status other than transfers (directly) from SPG?
For anyone not aware of it, a reminder that indirect transfers (e.g. SPG>UA>MR) become lifetime.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JackE
For anyone not aware of it, a reminder that indirect transfers (e.g. SPG>UA>MR) become lifetime.
To a max of 50k/yr
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:46 pm

Like a lot of people I have the nights but short 150K points for LTP and don't have enough travel to cover the points by August 1st. I just applied for the Chase sapphire and will transfer the 50 K points but still looking for ideas and will keep an eye on this thread. Keep the ideas coming.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Manufactured spending will can get you a lot of points on the MR credit card. I don't know the latest on MS, but it can be time consuming.
The 'common' way to do this used to be buying Simon Malls Visa gift cards, then going to Walmart and buying money orders with the gift cards. I don't know if that still works.
Beware, cards like AMEX may / may not give any "credit" towards Somons cards. Read that yesterday on a Walmart m/o thread somewhere...cannot swear to it, but do double check.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by jztelemark
Like a lot of people I have the nights but short 150K points for LTP and don't have enough travel to cover the points by August 1st. I just applied for the Chase sapphire and will transfer the 50 K points but still looking for ideas and will keep an eye on this thread. Keep the ideas coming.
If you are under 5/24, you can get the new Premier Plus CC to get the 100k bonus (to be released on May 3rd). If you have an existing Marriott Premier card, you need to close that one out.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Major G
One additional - Convert Chase UR on a 1 for 1 basis to Marriot points. That's a pretty poor use of UR points, but another avenue if you are desperate.
Are transfers from Chase UR limited to 50,000 per year? While there are substantially better uses of UR points, it still "costs" the same (or less) to acquire the points as using the Chase MR rewards card. i.e., I can spend $1 on everyday spending and get 1x Chase UR which transfer to 1x MR points versus spending $1 on the Chase MR rewards card to get the same 1x MR points. Other than Marriott stays themselves, the earning is same or higher using the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x travel/dining vs 2x flights).

Last edited by flightrisk; Apr 20, 2018 at 7:05 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Can anyone confirm that you are permitted to exceed the 50k transfer cap if you are redeeming an award?
I have done it a number of times with both my wife's account and other family and friends. Though I will state I haven't done it this year with all the turmoil around the program merger happening.

One thing to note, Marriott has historically reduced the LT point balance for the account transferring points out and increasing the LT points of the account receiving the points. And also note that moving points between your SPG account and Marriott account doesn't affect your LT point balance at all. So moving points from your spouse's Marriott account to their SPG account, then transferring the points to your SPG account (Starwood only requires the two accounts have the same address, no annual transfer limit), and finally transferring points from your SPG account to your Marriott account won't have any "current' affect on your Marriott LT points amount. (Note I added "current" as I have no idea how/if LT points balances are counted on the SPG transfers and thus how that might affect LT balances after your SPG and Marriott accounts are combined.)
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Are transfers from Chase UR limited to 50,000 per year? While there are substantially better uses of UR points, it still "costs" the same (or less) to acquire the points as using the Chase MR rewards card. i.e., I can spend $1 on everyday spending and get 1x Chase UR which transfer to 1x MR points versus spending $1 on the Chase MR rewards card to get the same 1x MR points. Other than Marriott stays themselves, the earning is same or higher using the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x travel/dining vs 2x flights).
You are not limited in the number of points you can transfer from Chase UR. I transferred more than 50 K to achieve what I needed to become LT Platinum. I saw no other way. I realize it was not the best use of UR but it got me what I wanted.
flightrisk likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Are transfers from Chase UR limited to 50,000 per year?
The 50K limit is on transfers between Marriott accounts and a separate 50K limit on annual points purchases.
flightrisk likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by edcho
If you are under 5/24, you can get the new Premier Plus CC to get the 100k bonus (to be released on May 3rd). If you have an existing Marriott Premier card, you need to close that one out.
That new card sounds good. Has there been confirmation you have to close the current one to get the new one?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The 50K limit is on transfers between Marriott accounts and a separate 50K limit on annual points purchases.
Thanks hhoope01 and tbrein! Transfers from UA MileagePlus are also limited to 50K, so wasn't sure if Marriott was somehow limiting all transfers to 50K.
tbrein likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
So what about the points earned from the Spring Mega Bonus, that just posted to my account? Do these points count toward my lifetime points total? My current Mega Bonus also earns points; 750 per night starting with the third night, up to 36,000 points (which would be fully earned after 51 nights in a 95 night earning period). If they are included, they could be a factor in lifetime point totals.

Also what about bonus points a property gives to a MR member as a courtesy? I just received some after my last stay, which the property manager offered after we discovered how dirty it was under the pull-out sofa.Do these count toward lifetime point totals? Obviously, these point can not be counted on for any point earning strategy.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
So what about the points earned from the Spring Mega Bonus, that just posted to my account? Do these points count toward my lifetime points total? My current Mega Bonus also earns points; 750 per night starting with the third night, up to 36,000 points (which would be fully earned after 51 nights in a 95 night earning period). If they are included, they could be a factor in lifetime point totals.

Also what about bonus points a property gives to a MR member as a courtesy? I just received some after my last stay, which the property manager offered after we discovered how dirty it was under the pull-out sofa.Do these count toward lifetime point totals? Obviously, these point can not be counted on for any point earning strategy.
Yes. All of those count toward your Lifetime Point Total.

-mvitale
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Some properties will have promotional rates that give extra points. Most of the time, they will cost more than buying points directly from Marriott, but there are occasionally some good deals. These extra points are not subject to the 50k yearly limit when you buy points from Marriott.

There are also property specific promotions that give an extra 500-3000 points per day. You have to go into Marriott’s website to pull them up since they usually need a specific rate code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.