Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
How to see your lifetime nights and points without having to call Marriott: Best way to see your Lifetime points and nights
Print Wikipost

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dcchi
Sorry if this is painfully obvious to some but how does one transfer United miles into MR? Is it via United’s website (I couldn’t see anything)? Also, can someone confirm that such an inbound transfer ups MR lT points? Thx.
I got LT points on a test run of 1K United points.

If you are willing to buy retail and sell wholesale, you can move Marriot-to-SPG-to-Marriott and get LT credit for 50K.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Yes.

https://members.marriott.com/benefits/

I'm not sure how this can be interpreted any differently. Listed right underneath the new Lifetime tiers:

"NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August"
I guess the question is whether combining lifetime activity in August retroactively counts towards the legacy requirements of Marriott Rewards.

I have 750 Marriott nights and 1.75 million Marriott points.
I have a small number of Starwood nights (<200), but probably have around 500,000 LT Starwood points, primarily from the Amex.

Is that LTPP by itself? (I don't have 10 years of Platinum.)

I've been led to believe, so far, that it is not enough. I need 2.0MM Marriott points by July 31.

If my transfers via my wife work (in conjunction with redeeming an award), I won't have any hard costs to get to 2.0MM, so I'll go for it just to be sure. But if we interpret the rules as loosely as possible, then there are going to be a ton of LTPP's out there on January 1.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JackE
I got LT points on a test run of 1K United points.

If you are willing to buy retail and sell wholesale, you can move Marriot-to-SPG-to-Marriott and get LT credit for 50K.
How does MR > SPG > MR increase your lifetime MR points unless you do something more complicated and send the points through another person's account too? Just transferring SPG to MR doesn't affect your lifetime point count with MR.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does all United-to-Marriott transfer activity require Premier status on United?
Old May 16, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I guess the question is whether combining lifetime activity in August retroactively counts towards the legacy requirements of Marriott Rewards.

I have 750 Marriott nights and 1.75 million Marriott points.
I have a small number of Starwood nights (<200), but probably have around 500,000 LT Starwood points, primarily from the Amex.

Is that LTPP by itself? (I don't have 10 years of Platinum.)

I've been led to believe, so far, that it is not enough. I need 2.0MM Marriott points by July 31.

If my transfers via my wife work (in conjunction with redeeming an award), I won't have any hard costs to get to 2.0MM, so I'll go for it just to be sure. But if we interpret the rules as loosely as possible, then there are going to be a ton of LTPP's out there on January 1.
My understanding is unfortunately, no. I'm reading it as you can qualify with either 750 nights + 2 million points with the legacy Marriott rules, or 750 nights and 10 years Platinum with Marriott + Starwood.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Does all United-to-Marriott transfer activity require Premier status on United?
Yes, Premier Silver or higher, which includes Marriott plats.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
My understanding is unfortunately, no. I'm reading it as you can qualify with either 750 nights + 2 million points with the legacy Marriott rules, or 750 nights and 10 years Platinum with Marriott + Starwood.
That's actually my understanding as well. Get to 2 million points in July. That's my "sure" path.

I think I've been MR Plat for about 4 or 5 total years and SPG Plat for 3 and change. The SPG Plat years were also Marriott Plat years. I truly have no idea how this is counted, whether I have 4, 5, 8, or even 9 total years. (I'm just assuming it's less than 10.) If I was sure I was on 9, then maybe I'd have until December 31 to complete Plat in the combined program? That part is confusing - I'm just going to get my points by July.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's actually my understanding as well. Get to 2 million points in July. That's my "sure" path.

I think I've been MR Plat for about 4 or 5 total years and SPG Plat for 3 and change. The SPG Plat years were also Marriott Plat years. I truly have no idea how this is counted, whether I have 4, 5, 8, or even 9 total years. (I'm just assuming it's less than 10.) If I was sure I was on 9, then maybe I'd have until December 31 to complete Plat in the combined program? That part is confusing - I'm just going to get my points by July.
Please keep us posted.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

Do you have any MR Gold years? One thing I haven’t seen for sure is if the years need to be “old” Platinum or “new” Platinum.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:22 pm

In the FAQ it says the years is based on the night qualification of status, so years of the 50-night status will be that with the combination and going forward.

HOW ARE YEARS AT TENURE CALCULATED FOR LEGACY MR AND RCR MEMBERS?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Making it on nights

As it stands now, i will qualify under the concession method for Lifetime Platinum Premier effective in January. If I get cute with moving some points around, I could qualify as of August – my question is if there is any advantage of trying to qualify in August over waiting until January? (I am also currently “earned” platinum in Marriott for 2018 if that makes a difference).
Old May 17, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
In the FAQ it says the years is based on the night qualification of status, so years of the 50-night status will be that with the combination and going forward.
I wonder whether this means that for some SPG elites, years of Plat earned on the basis of 25 stays rather than 50 nights won't count as Plat years.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by COMike78

As it stands now, i will qualify under the concession method for Lifetime Platinum Premier effective in January. If I get cute with moving some points around, I could qualify as of August – my question is if there is any advantage of trying to qualify in August over waiting until January? (I am also currently “earned” platinum in Marriott for 2018 if that makes a difference).
It is my understanding that they will run the LTPP qualification through their computer twice. The first time will be in August, 2018, then a second time on an unspecified date in January, 2019.

The main advantages I can see on making the cut in August would be the peace of mind that it is done and over with, and you will have a few months to fix any problems if something doesn't compute right.

There is a much lower probability that if someone is LTG in MR in August, and then earned LTP in MR before 12/31/18, they would be platinum in the new program for a few months until the second round of processing occurs in January. But I don't think that would apply for most people. Even if it did, there isn't a huge difference between Platinum and Platinum Premier in the new program anyway.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by jeanie; May 17, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 5:38 pm

Personally, if I were in this situation, I would also want to get LTPP nailed down in August so I would try if at all possible to complete requirements in time even to fix stuff if everything hasn't posted by the last week of July.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, if I were in this situation, I would also want to get LTPP nailed down in August so I would try if at all possible to complete requirements in time even to fix stuff if everything hasn't posted by the last week of July.
This. My husband could easily reach the 2MM points by Dec 31, not so easy by Aug 1 (he's already met the 750+ nights and it's just points that he needs). So he'll be applying for the new credit card shortly to try to add the 100k bonus to his balance by Aug 1. Combined with his stays for the next 3 months, he'll reach LTPP by July 31.
I know Marriott has changed their tune since the original announcement, but it still makes me nervous to wait until 12/31. They're making so many changes and having so many IT problems. We just want to get it done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.