Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by crimsona
Domes of elounda was the headliner devalued property, that's category 8
Correct - I must have had a filter on the data - post has been corrected. Thanks for checking, my mistake.

(I have 25, not 26 in Cat 7.)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I suspect the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London, the Marriott London County Hall, and the Paris Marriott Champs Elysees will be among those at category 8 in the new chart.
Strike one, strike two, and strike three.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Why is this labeled "SPECULATION"?

It is 100% certain even by Marriott's own admission.

The only question left is the choice of the preceding adjective: HORRIFIC, MASSIVE, EXPLOSIVE, UNREAL or HORRENDOUS

Because there is no other word that is appropriate hen you go from 45k per night to 95k per night for the same room with the same points.
The correct word is NON-EXISTENT.

No 45k property went to 95k, as 95k isn't even a value on the award chart.

However, as noted above., less than 1/4 of 1% of properties that were 45K might be over 95k for some peak period of the year. So maybe 1/8 of 1%. I guess PRACTICALLY NON-EXISTENT will have to do.

(I'm still curious where Marriott's "own admission" of 45k to 95k ever existed)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:06 pm

The place where they do the devaluation is availability, the same way the airlines did it.

i haven’t checked in the last four or five days, but aloft Bangkok had zero rooms available

for every date at the current chart (3k weekend, 4 k weekday). They are going up to 17,500 marriott

so roughly 6000 spg equivalent. They will sell you an award room now, but they will describe the room as

non standard, and get at least another 1000 for those words (There is very little difference in the aloft rooms, other

than floor number and views).

Now four points is going down to 12500, unless there is a last minute change to that plan. When 4p Bangkok was

lowest tier before , they also rarely had rooms at only the chart level, but one could get a room by paying extra points.

No matter, hotels in Bangkok will not stay at the 12500 level for long, and for the time that they are at category two

they will almost always be at peak season rates.

This is of course not as good as first half 2018, but second half 2018 will soon be considered the good old days, by

2021 I expect we will have full on dynamic pricing, with a point gravitating to two thirds of a cent, making it worth

arguably six tenths of a cent, as one does not earn points on point stays, and cash is good for many things, points

not so much.

i have other thoughts as well, but I don’t want to give anyone nightmares. The words “fair” and “enhancement” will

become part of the language. Not sure if you noticed, but since 1984 we have been living in a brave new world, and

words have opposite their original meaning. Chairman Kim is our best friend, Canada vile enemies.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:24 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
I collected all the data - it's really not that hard to collect 4000+ data points when the company provides a web page with 4000+ data points. Copy and paste.

All data was adjusted for SPG's 3:1 - it's really not that hard either.

If you take every single property and make it Peak every single day of the year, with post-2019 categories, and assumed every single SPG Cat 5+ property would be peak 0 days of the year, the increase is <15%, still way under the claims above.

You can send your check to Make-a-Wish Foundation, which provided wonderful services to my niece.

Or you can ignore the data and find a reason to back out. Your choice.
I think I love you. ❤️
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:36 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
This is part of the reason why fears of devaluation are overblown. Marriott elites aren’t used to properties in SPG Cat 6 and 7 that typically command much higher ADRs and therefore need to command higher award prices. The reset will push a lot of Marriott properties lower on the new Cat 1-8 scale than was true in the older Cat 1-9 scale.
That's such an arrogant statement. What next: Let them eat cake?
Ah, it’s not arrogant; it’s actually and obviously true. SPG Category 6 and 7 hotels include some of the world’s best hotels. Old Marriott Category 8 and 9 hotels are nice but rarely anything special properties. There isn’t much comparison. The difference in ADR between the two hotel groups is substantial.

The truth hurts.

Marriott’s non-RC portfolio—even at the top categories 8 and 9–had almost no aspirational and wold-class hotels. Compare that to SPG’s portfolio which had its top category 6 and 7 hotels among the world’s best in far more case than need to be discussed. The comparison is painful.

The proof is in the pudding. Marriott agreed, and that’s why the overwhelming majority of new Category 7 and 8 hotels in the New Marriott portfolio are former SPG hotels with a few RC properties. That’s also why the overwhelming majority of former Marriott Category 8 and 9 hotels are in the New Marriott Category 5 and 6 hotels.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 3, 2018 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Strike one, strike two, and strike three.
No, but they went up 15,000 points per night and as much as 25,000 points per night at the yet-undefined "peak." So, it might as well be category 8.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
No, but they went up 15,000 points per night and as much as 25,000 points per night at the yet-undefined "peak." So, it might as well be category 8.

They also address that there is a set number of time they can set peak, off peak etc....

In addition you will also be earning many more points on stays
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
They also address that there is a set number of time they can set peak, off peak etc....

In addition you will also be earning many more points on stays
We need the terms and conditions to see what the terms define as "peak" and "off-peak."
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:16 am

We need the terms and conditions to see what the terms define as "peak" and "off-peak."
Yeah, i don't think anything has come out, but it was either the interview or a FAQ by the lurker where they said that there has to be X weeks of normal and x weeks of off peak each year.

Someplace like maldive or HNL couldn't make it peak year round - which was the question "What stops a hotel from making it peak rates year round?"
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yeah, i don't think anything has come out, but it was either the interview or a FAQ by the lurker where they said that there has to be X weeks of normal and x weeks of off peak each year.

Someplace like maldive or HNL couldn't make it peak year round - which was the question "What stops a hotel from making it peak rates year round?"
No, but I could see properties in Hawaii, Paris, London and the like trying to claim they are "peak" for 10 months out of the year. I suppose the question is who determines "peak" and "off-peak": The hotel themselves or corporate Marriott?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:34 am

No, but I could see properties in Hawaii, Paris, London and the like trying to claim they are "peak" for 10 months out of the year. I suppose the question is who determines "peak" and "off-peak": The hotel themselves or corporate Marriott?
I found the excerpt:

Q: How will Marriott determine when to use Off-Peak/Standard/Peak award pricing?

A: This will largely be based on expected seasonal or event-driven demand at a hotel. During TPG’s live Q&A session with Marriott’s head of loyalty, we learned that Marriott expects to have roughly the same number of peak and off-peak award nights available across the entire portfolio at any given time. While this might not help you get a cheap summer getaway to Hawaii, it means you’ll be able to get a good deal on other properties elsewhere in the world during the same time.

from here; https://thepointsguy.com/news/faqs-n...yalty-program/

May not be what you want to hear, but for me, i was personally OK with it as i tend to vacation off the beaten path, so i am personally looking forward to enjoying quite a bit of "off Peak" hotels
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is concerning: "same number of peak and non-peak award nights available across the entire portfolio at any given time." The reality is that, worldwide, it should probably be about 10% peak and 90% off-peak most times of the year, with a few notable exceptions (Christmas / New Year's, etc.).

Half of the world is not having a major event or extreme demand right now.

We already pay for generally high award demand locations like London, Paris, and Hawaii through the very high categories on often-average hotels that would be much lower categories elsewhere. They shouldn't be using "peak" to stack on top of that just because.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
This is concerning: "same number of peak and non-peak award nights available across the entire portfolio at any given time." The reality is that, worldwide, it should probably be about 10% peak and 90% off-peak most times of the year, with a few notable exceptions (Christmas / New Year's, etc.).

Half of the world is not having a major event or extreme demand right now.

We already pay for generally high award demand locations like London, Paris, and Hawaii through the very high categories on often-average hotels that would be much lower categories elsewhere. They shouldn't be using "peak" to stack on top of that just because.
It would be interesting to know to what degree a hotel can influence its category ranking since I've seen brand new properties start at category 7 or 8.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I collected all the data - it's really not that hard to collect 4000+ data points when the company provides a web page with 4000+ data points. Copy and paste.

All data was adjusted for SPG's 3:1 - it's really not that hard either.

If you take every single property and make it Peak every single day of the year, with post-2019 categories, and assumed every single SPG Cat 5+ property would be peak 0 days of the year, the increase is <15%, still way under the claims above.

You can send your check to Make-a-Wish Foundation, which provided wonderful services to my niece.

Or you can ignore the data and find a reason to back out. Your choice.
I'll go back and see what I agreed to and gladly sent a check to MAW if I'm wrong.

Put aside all the macro data analysis aside though. I retired from 20 years of business travel and 100% Marriott 3 years ago and was left with 400,000 in points and LTP.

True story, for a year now I was planning on taking my new Greek wife to the Domes for week when our baby got just a bit older and a week at he NYC JW Essex where I had a few nice one night stays on business . Guess which 2 properties got slammed? If you are able to or want to travel to some 4000+ properties the data may make sense. My situation is screwed, as predicted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.