Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I had a question regarding the new Marriott program and Suite Night Awards earned from SPG.

I have unused Suite night awards earned in 2017 (expiring Dec 2018). With the merge occurring on August 18, once the website comes back up, am I able to start attaching/utilizing these Suite Night Awards on Marriott Properties as well? I have a booking late August at a JW Marriott that I'm planning to stay at and the property is known for only upgrading Plat members to +1 of their category booked. I'd like to try for a suite.
I do believe that should work. Just be prepared, being one of the first to use and SNA at a legacy MR property, there may be a hiccup or two.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Now that the programs have officially been combined, do nights earned at the old SPG properties count towards Marriott status renewal? Trying to plan my remaining stays and I want to ensure that I'll hit the Plat Premier threshold.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by tryanjordan
Now that the programs have officially been combined, do nights earned at the old SPG properties count towards Marriott status renewal? Trying to plan my remaining stays and I want to ensure that I'll hit the Plat Premier threshold.
​​​​​​Have you combined your MR & SPG accounts? If you are trying to earn status based upon legacy MR rules, then only MR nights will count (and the same for SPG). If you are shooting for MPG rules, then both count. Theory is that even if you have combined your accounts, you can still earn based upon legacy rules, but legacy properties must be used.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
​​​​​​Have you combined your MR & SPG accounts? If you are trying to earn status based upon legacy MR rules, then only MR nights will count (and the same for SPG). If you are shooting for MPG rules, then both count. Theory is that even if you have combined your accounts, you can still earn based upon legacy rules, but legacy properties must be used.
I have linked but not combined yet. I have earned plat premier for 2018 with Marriott based on 2017 travel and am now working towards 2019 status. Am I correct in thinking that I should continue staying with legacy Marriott properties until I hit 75 nights? Appreciate the help and guidance!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by tryanjordan
I have linked but not combined yet. I have earned plat premier for 2018 with Marriott based on 2017 travel and am now working towards 2019 status. Am I correct in thinking that I should continue staying with legacy Marriott properties until I hit 75 nights? Appreciate the help and guidance!
No reason not to stay at SPG in your circumstances. 75 nights combined by 12/31 from either side will be sufficient to requalify for PP.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by swag
No reason not to stay at SPG in your circumstances. 75 nights combined by 12/31 from either side will be sufficient to requalify for PP.
Great, thanks for the help! Not sure how I got so confused with all of this
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As the August 18th program merger is now well behind us, we'll close this announcement thread. There are no doubt still lingering issues for many members, so please take those up in one of the many threads in the new forum for the consolidated program:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program-766/

Thank you,
The Marriott Forum Moderator Team
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.