Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:09 am

Does the status change happen at any specific time on the 18th (US time?)? Checking into a hotel on the 18th so just wondered..
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by smithyr4
Does the status change happen at any specific time on the 18th (US time?)? Checking into a hotel on the 18th so just wondered..
This is a huge project so expect some delays. I would expect property updates to be phased in during the week. The hotels get populated at time of reservation so you should be good to check in. When they will do the sweep to update individual account status probably won't be until later in the day or the next day. If you are counting on a status change before you merge your accounts, then you may be able to ask nicely at check in if they will extend the desired benefits (the properties are allowed but may refuse). I suggest not rushing to merge your accounts so things can settle out and errors resolved, the decision is yours.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is a huge project so expect some delays. I would expect property updates to be phased in during the week. The hotels get populated at time of reservation so you should be good to check in. When they will do the sweep to update individual account status probably won't be until later in the day or the next day. If you are counting on a status change before you merge your accounts, then you may be able to ask nicely at check in if they will extend the desired benefits (the properties are allowed but may refuse). I suggest not rushing to merge your accounts so things can settle out and errors resolved, the decision is yours.
Many thanks for the reply

I am actually checking in on the 18th in Hong Kong (9pm local time), my status is SPG-linked MR Gold at the moment, hence why I was hoping it will not happen before

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by smithyr4
Many thanks for the reply

I am actually checking in on the 18th in Hong Kong (9pm local time), my status is SPG-linked MR Gold at the moment, hence why I was hoping it will not happen before

Thanks!
Given you will likely be checking in as they are just starting the process, I would guess you're golden (so to speak). Keep in mind those behind the desk are probably just as confused about how everything will work out as we are. I always find a pleasant conversation gets me much further than demands.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I contacted the Marriott hotel I'm staying in from August 21st to ask whether their status benefits would be the same post-merger as they are now. Their response corrected a misunderstanding I had that Marriott and Starwood were merging:

"As you heard that from 18th August 2018, Marriott Reward and Sherwood Preferred Guest..."
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Given you will likely be checking in as they are just starting the process, I would guess you're golden (so to speak). Keep in mind those behind the desk are probably just as confused about how everything will work out as we are. I always find a pleasant conversation gets me much further than demands.
You might be OK, that is 6am eastern time, but if things go smoothly it could quite possibly have transitioned. I suspect they will start the transition around 9PM to midnight EST on the 17th. They have already delayed almost 3 weeks and I expect everything to be pretty much ready to go by the 18th. You may have noticed your account going offline a few nights this week...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You might be OK, that is 6am eastern time, but if things go smoothly it could quite possibly have transitioned. I suspect they will start the transition around 9PM to midnight EST on the 17th. They have already delayed almost 3 weeks and I expect everything to be pretty much ready to go by the 18th. You may have noticed your account going offline a few nights this week...
We've only been warned about what will happen with the central website and back office systems going down starting on the 18th. Each and every property system will need to be sync'd following the central systems. Nothing has been said about how long that will take and what timeframe they are expecting to start that process. I have no doubt each property will be able to operate locally with whatever reservations have been loaded and can add new ones as needed. It's trying to book via Marriott.com and SPG.com will be down for now.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Does anyone have a link to the new terms and conditions?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
They have not been published yet, and I don't see why they would publish them until the 18th.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:07 am

Told by a Marriott Manager at the Omaha office yesterday to expect a announcement of a fall megabonus on August 18th as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see them do a huge fall megabonus. Wouldn't mind the 2,000 extra bonus points like last summer!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Told by a Marriott Manager at the Omaha office yesterday to expect a announcement of a fall megabonus on August 18th as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see them do a huge fall megabonus. Wouldn't mind the 2,000 extra bonus points like last summer!
Awesome. Got 21 nights planned for September so really looking forward to a great promotion this time compared to recent.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Preview of New Program T&Cs?

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Originally Posted by sdsearch
They have not been published yet, and I don't see why they would publish them until the 18th.
Preview: New Program’s T&Cs
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Changes With Elite Tiers in August

Dumb question, but do qualifying nights earned before the change count towards the new status tiers?

I have 16 nights this year, so I only need to earn 9 more nights to make gold when they make the change?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ewrfll77
Dumb question, but do qualifying nights earned before the change count towards the new status tiers?

I have 16 nights this year, so I only need to earn 9 more nights to make gold when they make the change?
Yes, all nights you have this year count.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I had a question regarding the new Marriott program and Suite Night Awards earned from SPG.

I have unused Suite night awards earned in 2017 (expiring Dec 2018). With the merge occurring on August 18, once the website comes back up, am I able to start attaching/utilizing these Suite Night Awards on Marriott Properties as well? I have a booking late August at a JW Marriott that I'm planning to stay at and the property is known for only upgrading Plat members to +1 of their category booked. I'd like to try for a suite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.