Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I have a question, which blogs have answered this way and that, but I was wondering if anyone has more definitive information on.

I've been Starwood Platinum for 7 years. I have 477 nights. I have 72 nights with Marriott, and I've been Platinum only since they began status matching SPG, so not long at all. I still probably have around 30 nights organically before end of year, which would put me at 579 nights. I don't know how much 2 million Marriott points is (I suspect there's no real way to check) but let's say I have that through SPG, having stayed in generally "better" properties over the years. If I go ahead and host a dozen meetings or so to get me to 750 nights combined, do I still have a shot at Platinum Premier, or has the boat sailed for me?
The Platinum Elite Years at Marriott would only count if you actually stayed 75+ nights at Marriott. Marriott status awarded via matching will not count. If you did stay at Marriott and earned Platinum on your own, you may have enough years combined.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by edcho
The Platinum Elite Years at Marriott would only count if you actually stayed 75+ nights at Marriott. Marriott status awarded via matching will not count. If you did stay at Marriott and earned Platinum on your own, you may have enough years combined.
Right, I don’t expect my _years_ at Marriott would count. But if I did exceed 750 nights and 2M points using the combined count, would I get the LT status, or not?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:38 pm

Right, I don’t expect my _years_ at Marriott would count. But if I did exceed 750 nights and 2M points using the combined count, would I get the LT status, or not?
Depends on who you ask -- If you have 2M Marriott Rewards points (shown on the Marriott site) and combined 750 nights (both SPG + MR), then maybe. SPG Lurker on the SPG forum says yes while others say no. Looking at the rules, it doesn't say clearly state that it will count. The agents are going off the same text we are so it's equally confusing. You aren't going to get a clear answer on here so I would just hope for the best but plan for the worst.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Starwood Lurker has repeatedly said that SPG does not keep track of points earned, so the 2 million points has to come from Marriott side only. Sorry
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
so after aug 18, plats with 100 nights and 20k spend get an ambassador. how is the revenue determined?
What I was told on the phone with a rep....they will combine your nights from starwood and Marriott come August 18th. To determine your 20,000k spent is based off of your base rate you spent at the hotel. She said tax was not included toward the 20,000. She didn't know if other things would be included like if you spent money in the restaurant.

Now you would of had to accumulate 100 nights and 20k spent in 2018. Then you will be ambassador in 2019.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15
What I was told on the phone with a rep....they will combine your nights from starwood and Marriott come August 18th. To determine your 20,000k spent is based off of your base rate you spent at the hotel. She said tax was not included toward the 20,000. She didn't know if other things would be included like if you spent money in the restaurant.

Now you would of had to accumulate 100 nights and 20k spent in 2018. Then you will be ambassador in 2019.
given their crap IT i'd be really impressed if they managed to aggregate base spend from both programs
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
given their crap IT i'd be really impressed if they managed to aggregate base spend from both programs

That's what I am worried about! I created a excel spreadsheet with each stay from marriott and starwood with confirmation numbers if they try not to add all of them together! Very time consuming but worth it! Again I don't see a bid difference between platinum and ambassador!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Need a little advice?

Just made lifetime gold but hubby is lifetime platinum so I thought I kinda knew my way around the reward system. Now with the new changes I am not sure what I need to do. I have 2, 5 night certificates one a category 8 another cert a category 7. Do I need to attach them to a reservation before tomorrow or by August 17? One of the hotels I have been eyeing is a category 9! My reward account is pretty depleted at this point. If I change the dates after the changes I am assuming my old reservation will not be honored? Not sure what to do now! Have been reward members for almost 30years but these changes are so hard to understand!
Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tatmtr7
I have 2, 5 night certificates one a category 8 another cert a category 7. Do I need to attach them to a reservation before tomorrow or by August 17?
You need to attach them by the 17th if you want to be certain to redeem them for face value (5 nights hotel at the designated level). If you wait until after the 17th you risk Marriott replacing the certificates with a new certificate or simply rebating you a certain number of points (value unknown).

If you know the hotel you want and its cost in points will increase or remain the same after the 17th, you should attach the certificate now to protect the certificate's value and the redemption price of the hotel.

If the hotel you want will decrease in cost, you may want to wait, but you will be risking however Marriott chooses to dispose of/convert the old certificates. There is some indication that you will be able to call in and arrange a point refund/adjustment if the point cost goes down in the new system, so I think you are still most prudent to attach.

If you don't know the hotel you want or it is an SPG property, you'll have to wait and see.

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
If I change the dates after the changes I am assuming my old reservation will not be honored? Not sure what to do now! Have been reward members for almost 30years but these changes are so hard to understand!
Thanks
The price in points will go up if you alter the reservation after the 17th. You will need to pay the difference between the point value of your old certificate and the point value required by the new chart. If you change the reservation in 2019, there's a good chance you may also be hit with a peak season surcharge of 5-15K points per day. So try to get your dates right!

This table gives the points price of most properties in the old and new programs. It should help you figure out whether the properties you have in mind are increasing in cost after the 17th.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I searched but could not find the thread on what happens to Megabonus free night certificates (cat 1-5) after the merger. I read that they will be converted into points, but am not clear how many points and if it is a better idea for me to attach it to a reservation now or just let it be converted into points.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I searched but could not find the thread on what happens to Megabonus free night certificates (cat 1-5) after the merger. I read that they will be converted into points, but am not clear how many points and if it is a better idea for me to attach it to a reservation now or just let it be converted into points.
My understanding is they do not convert into points that will be deposited into you account, but into certs which can be used up to a certain points value. It is not clear, but it also appears you will not be able to add additional points to stay at a higher level hotel nor carry forward unused points for a second night; ie use a 25k point cert for a 15k night and then apply 10k to another night. We will not know for sure about any of this until the certs are actually converted into the new program as Marriott has not given specifics, only dropped hints and sometimes hints which point to competing explanations.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by CJKatl
My understanding is they do not convert into points that will be deposited into you account, but into certs which can be used up to a certain points value. It is not clear, but it also appears you will not be able to add additional points to stay at a higher level hotel nor carry forward unused points for a second night; ie use a 25k point cert for a 15k night and then apply 10k to another night. We will not know for sure about any of this until the certs are actually converted into the new program as Marriott has not given specifics, only dropped hints and sometimes hints which point to competing explanations.
FWIW, here's what happened with the Japanese American Express cards, which give a Cat6 SPG 1-night cert: they are being converted to a Marriott "up to 50K points" certificate, where you CANNOT add any points to make it a higher end redemption, and you cannot split the points into different ones. So basically exactly as you describe, except that's the official position on that particular certificate type.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Thanks for that information. So is it best to try to book a cat 5 hotel with this now, attaching the reservation, if I have one in mind? I would assume they would still honor it if attached to a reservation?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Thanks for that information. So is it best to try to book a cat 5 hotel with this now, attaching the reservation, if I have one in mind? I would assume they would still honor it if attached to a reservation?
That is my understanding and the Lurkers are encouraging us to attach thee certs before the 18th,
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will concerted to points certs, not actual points.

While Marriott has not said how they'll be converted, Chase has said that the card that currently earns cat 1-5 certs will earn 25000 point certs after August. So that's the best guess at what existing cat 1-5 certs would convert to as well.

What you need to know to interpret that: In 2019, cat 4 will be 25000 points nominally, but that can go a bit up or down based on season. And when it goes up in high season, you won't be able to use a 25000 point cert for that hotel, even though will be able to use a 25000 point cert for that hotel the rest of the year. And we don't know how long "high season" will last at any hotel.

Other than that, there is a new chart available, so you can see which hotels are going down and which are going up. But it's a hard co maneuver around on the Marriott website, since you can't jump to any page, you have to increment page by page by page, and there are something like 56 pages . I think someone may have converted that to a spreadsheet, but if so I'm not sure which thread has a link to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.