Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Newman
Am I correct that beginning in August when I log into my account on the Marriott website and enter a location (let's say Miami, Florida) and a date (let's say Jan 15-21, 2019), I will be offered a choice of not only the usual Marriott family brand hotels, but the Starwood brand hotels in the area as well?

Thanks.

NEWMAN
Are you... manually signing your posts???

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:29 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The details, as they exist now, is ONCE they merge the reservation systems you will be able to choose from all the MR, RC, SPG properties from a single point. However, they have not published a hard date as to when they expect to have that ready to roll out. Should they hit any major issues (maybe existing system coded to handle up to 25 brands), the August date may get pushed out further.

We are all guessing and those that know the facts aren't here to tell us.
There is also an issue with merging all the discount codes (and potentially having two discount codes stored in your FF account; I know my SPG account keeps track of my corporate discount code). I would not be surprised if this didn't all happen in August or even by the end of the year. As a data point, Hilton still hasn't fully integrated their (reservation) systems; while it looks transparent to the guest, Hilton Hotels and Doubletree Hotels are on different systems and you get radically different confirmation numbers.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by stc
There is also an issue with merging all the discount codes (and potentially having two discount codes stored in your FF account; I know my SPG account keeps track of my corporate discount code). I would not be surprised if this didn't all happen in August or even by the end of the year. As a data point, Hilton still hasn't fully integrated their (reservation) systems; while it looks transparent to the guest, Hilton Hotels and Doubletree Hotels are on different systems and you get radically different confirmation numbers.
Very true. I am sure there are many other minor issues we haven't considered yet either. All this sounds simple on the surface but a lot of work. I stand by my suggestion to wait and read what they release and decide what works for you. Ultimately, we will all be under one program, but not day one.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stc
There is also an issue with merging all the discount codes (and potentially having two discount codes stored in your FF account; I know my SPG account keeps track of my corporate discount code).
Praying the SPG SET codes last as long as possible...Marriott's are terrible IME.
stc and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
On top of everything else, the full service properties use Marsha as the reservation system while the lower tier properties have a different reservation system. As a description "MARSHA is a powerful reservation network and demand-management tool. MARSHA powers an industry-leading distribution system and is fully integrated with Marriott’s revenue management, eCommerce, customer loyalty, and property-management systems, as well as the Global Distribution Systems (GDS) used by travel agents and systems of e-Intermediaries."

Integrating points seems easy. Coming up with a name seems even easier. Moving all the SPG hotels off of one platform and making sure it all connects into their property management systems, and all the different GDS systems, and making sure everyone is trained so there is no revenue loss -- that seems complex.

And we know well they are doing with the name
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And we know well they are doing with the name
As far as I can tell, it may be done. Here's an excerpt from the T&C of the new Marriott Visa under the section where they describe the 15 elite night bebefit. I've bolded the references to the new program name. They went the boring route. Of course, this could be just a placeholder name...
Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the “Marriott Loyalty Program”) on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:22 am

Mariott gold via SPG match (credit card)? Downgrade =(

Hi all,

From everything I've read, it now seems that anyone who matched to Marriott gold via SPG credit card gold status, will not be being bumped up to Platinum in the new program, even temporaril.

Which sucks, as I have a stay planned for end August/early September that I really wanted to use the benefits for.

So, firstly, please confirm its true?

Secondly, what can i do to somehow quickly get platinum status, as I really would like the benefits associated with the old gold/new platinum
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
Hi all,

From everything I've read, it now seems that anyone who matched to Marriott gold via SPG credit card gold status, will not be being bumped up to Platinum in the new program, even temporaril.

Which sucks, as I have a stay planned for end August/early September that I really wanted to use the benefits for.

Secondly, what can i do to somehow quickly get platinum status, as I really would like the benefits associated with the old gold/new platinum
Depends on how many night you have/need. Book 10 rooms for 5 nights! Pay for an upgrade to your stay into a room that gives you the benefits you are looking for. Book a single meeting in August for 10 Elite Nights. Max out 15 Elite Nights with credit cards.

In theory, if you can squeeze in a few meetings before the end of the month you could do it but will the time, effort & expense justify the benefits?

James
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Depends on how many night you have/need. Book 10 rooms for 5 nights! Pay for an upgrade to your stay into a room that gives you the benefits you are looking for. Book a single meeting in August for 10 Elite Nights. Max out 15 Elite Nights with credit cards.

In theory, if you can squeeze in a few meetings before the end of the month you could do it but will the time, effort & expense justify the benefits?

James
thanks. its a point stay, so upgrade wont work help

from what ive read, it seems that smoeone with a ritz carlton card who gets gold that way will be bumped up to platinum...true?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

from what ive read, it seems that smoeone with a ritz carlton card who gets gold that way will be bumped up to platinum...true?
I can't say for sure. It does make sense though. SPG Gold is like MR Silver so you were getting out-sized value on the match.

James
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Hi all,

Third Option: Reach out to the hotel, let them know when you made your reservation you had lounge access and nicely ask if they will extend it to you despite the program parameters changing. I know three people who have successfully done this including a relative. The worst that can happen is the hotel says no and you will be no worse off than you are without asking. I would imagine less chance of success at some of the megahotels with crowded CLs, like the NYC Marquis or the SF Marquis and a better chance of success with the more relaxed, remote properties. While I don't want to name properties and put the properties or future guests in an awkward position, one of the people that had this work will be staying in a European property but not one located in Paris or London. The other two are in a meh North-Central Marriott and a Southern tourist destination hotel.
Horace and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

A lot of hotels are actually honouring the lounge access until end of Dec if you book way before Aug. when the news didn't come out yet (gold from amex personal plat won't be matched to plat in Aug). Just email or call them and ask nicely, I am sure they will honour it if you are staying there this year.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by musicscrip

A lot of hotels are actually honouring the lounge access until end of Dec if you book way before Aug. when the news didn't come out yet (gold from amex personal plat won't be matched to plat in Aug). Just email or call them and ask nicely, I am sure they will honour it if you are staying there this year.
this is good information

i reserved earlier this month...not sure if its long enough in advance, but worth a shot
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Merger of Starpoints to Marriott Points

Does anyone know on which date the Starpoints will be merged into Marriott Points.
I read that the conversion rate will be: 1 Starpoint = 3 Marriott Points.

Thanks
G
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Does anyone know on which date the Starpoints will be merged into Marriott Points.
I read that the conversion rate will be: 1 Starpoint = 3 Marriott Points.

Thanks
G
Based on Marriott's announcement in April of this year, Starpoints will not automatically be merged with Rewards Points, even if you've linked your accounts.

In August, each Starpoint in your account will become 3 points in the new program. At that time, earning, redemption, benefits, participating brands, and the value of points will be the same for SPG, Marriott Rewards, and RC Rewards.

Marriott only announced August -- not a specific date in August. August is easily interpreted as August 1, so you see lots of references to August 1 on this forum. But it could be different date.

"Starting in August" (Marriott's words), Marriott will notify those of us who have an SPG account and a Rewards account when we can combine them into a single account.

I recommend spending some time studying the details, including the FAQ, at https://members.marriott.com/
RogerD408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.