Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:06 am

still no award chart released???
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by yerffej201
still no award chart released???
i found this just now. Has this page always been there? Probably yes, and i just never looked for it. Sorry if this is not helpful.
https://members.marriott.com/redeem/
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
i found this just now. Has this page always been there? Probably yes, and i just never looked for it. Sorry if this is not helpful.
the issue is list of properties, biggest question is spg 'above' cat 7 (require up to 140k spg / 420k mr per night)

marriott released examples for paris and dubai, and dubai did not include the spg 'above' cat 7 (al maha)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yerffej201
still no award chart released?
Patience. There are still three days to go.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:44 am

Called this morning...

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I had to call in for a reward reservation yesterday. With all the posts, I was fearing the worst. My call was answered quickly (within a minute) and the rep was very competent.
Hope the are rounding a corner...
I called this morning and had a quick answer but the agent, a supervisor, only gave less than definitive answers and only pointed me to the members site which she described as what might happen in the merger. What's the point of having a customer service number if the agents can't answer questions.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Patience. There are still three days to go.
Now available. There's a new thread on it.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would love to be wrong. Prove me wrong, Marriott by making sure hotels like the Newark airport Marriott or Marriott County Hall in London aren't category 7 and category 8, respectively, in the new chart.
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott - Cat 5
Marriott County Hall - Cat 7

Proven wrong?

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by torontotravel
From April 16

“Flueck indicated that we’d be seeing which hotels map to which categories in 4 to 6 weeks, and that they’re “hoping to share the top markets very soon” and far in advance of that. He also let me know that these charts do not account for pricing at premium all suite properties.”
So we have a story from a blogger with no affiliation to the program, not even a quote but an interpretation of what one person "indicated", vs. the official information from an authorized representative of the company. Hmmmm - I'll go with the latter.

That official source said by the end of June and, hey, it's not yet the end of June and .... they're published. Well how about that!

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 28, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VisaW
I think anyone who doesn't see the massive impending devaluation in redemptions is blind. Does anyone really believe that the highest level Marriott properties (think JWs in New York City) that are currently 45,000 won't jump to 70,000 off-peak? .
Originally Posted by CPRich
And no, I don't think 45K JW's in NYC will go to 70K off-peak.
Guess what...

JW Marriott Essex House New York: Category 7 - 50K off-peak

I can see!!!!!

(98.9% of "highest level Marriott properties" - Cat 9 properties that were 45K - did not jump to 70K off-peak. I.e., there was one)

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:35 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:31 am
Company Representative, Marriott Rewards

Maximize your points as our programs become one this August.

As you may already know, SPG®, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® will become one program this August. You’ll be able to redeem for free nights and unforgettable experiences at over 6,500 participating hotels across 29 brands.

Our Free Night Award Chart will be updated and give you more power to redeem your points. Even better: More hotels are moving down in redemption rates than up – so chances are that you’ll be able to redeem fewer points for free nights at the hotels you love.

Here are our top eight tips to help you maximize your points:
Plan ahead. Explore the full list of hotel category changes and decide if you want to plan your trip before or after the updates take effect. Here are just a few examples of hotels that are moving to a lower category in August:
- REDEEM FREE NIGHTS FOR 10,000 FEWER POINTS
Hotel Talisa in Vail, Le Méridien Barcelona, W Punta de Mita, The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, The Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, and Le Méridien San Francisco

- REDEEM FREE NIGHTS FOR 5,000 FEWER POINTS
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, Renaissance Paris Republique Hotel, The St. Regis Princeville Resort, Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, Autograph Collection’s Hotel Punta Islita, and Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel in Napa Valley

See the complete new award chart here.

Take advantage of future Category 8 hotels. Future Category 8 hotels will be available at Category 7 rates from August until 2019. Redeem now to save up to 20% and guarantee your rate even if the stay occurs after new rates take effect. Explore future category 8 hotels.
Use Cash + Points. Stay for as little as $55 and 3,500 points at more hotels than ever. Your next vacation may be closer than you think. See the Cash + Points Chart.
Stay five nights, pay for four. Get a complimentary night when you redeem four consecutive nights.
Save more with PointSavers. Enjoy up to 20% off when you redeem points at top destinations. All 29 brands participate, all you have to do is enter the city, state or country along with your dates to find participating hotels. See the PointSavers Chart.
Upgrade your stay. Use points to upgrade your room (think suite or a room with a picture-perfect view) during your stay.
Enjoy Travel Packages. Travel Packages now include all SPG hotels. Until now, SPG Nights & Flights applied only to SPG Category 3 and 4 hotels. Starting in August, Marriott Rewards and SPG members can redeem points for airline miles and hotel stays at any of the 6,500 participating hotels. This offer continues to be one of the richest offers among travel loyalty programs.
Get instant gratification. Instantly redeem points for cocktails, meals, spa treatments or anything else you can charge to your room at participating hotels. Each US$1 is valued at 250 points, so if you would like a spa treatment worth US$50, you would redeem 12,500 points.

Explore all the changes happening in August and read FAQs now by visiting members.marriott.com.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Ouch. The categories themselves aren't bad, but that Travel Package devaluation is pretty major.

EDIT: I'm starting to do some math. I may have overreacted: starting to look like a more minor devaluation, based on increased earnings and the fact that on the surface the TP's appear to allow "peak" booking at these prices.

Last edited by pinniped; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CPRich
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott - Cat 5
Higher than it should be! But the location must trump it being the hotel it is.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:32 am

Can you now confirm what happens to 7-night certificate of a Marriott travel package? Will they carry over, and if so, will they retain their assigned category? Or will they be converted to points, and if so, what is the conversion factor?
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, location drives demand which drives cost. I think that's true across all similar programs. The Palacio del Inka I stayed in last summer probably would be a new Cat 8 in NYC, and I garden-variety Cat 4 4Points in a big city would be Cat 1 in rural China. Or Iowa .

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Can you now confirm what happens to 7-night certificate of a Marriott travel package? Will they carry over, and if so, will they retain their assigned category? Or will they be converted to points, and if so, what is the conversion factor?
Yea, I believe this is the key question that is still unanswered..
It becomes very hard for us to plan/redeem if these terms are still unclear..
lingecw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.