Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by orca15
Again, CJ, I appreciate your help, but I'm still stuck on this.
I saw the Lurker's response as well, but it literally just says the first half of the answer- that you have until Dec 31 to complete the old LTP.
Still doesn't say that that will transfer over to LTPP after August. You could ASSUME this based on the fact that this was the question asked, but IMO the Lurker didn't respond to the question.
RECAP: My question was if I make LTP by Dec, under the old system, will I get LTPP...

Found it! from this page, near the bottom, number 5.

In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Hi a slightly related question. Does anyone know if the Marriott Gold elites will still be allowed free breakfast and lounge access after 1 August 2018? This has some bearing on whether I keep my existing October booking at a Marriott hotel. thanks in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:41 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Ellice
Hi a slightly related question. Does anyone know if the Marriott Gold elites will still be allowed free breakfast and lounge access after 1 August 2018? This has some bearing on whether I keep my existing October booking at a Marriott hotel. thanks in advance.
Current MR Gold will become the new MR Plat, hence you will get Breakfast at lounge or at the restaurant depending the property arrangement.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
NO! Only platinum elites will receive free breakfast/lounge access at most properties (NOT Ritz...etc)

However, you can pay a fee to upgrade your room for lounge access (if it's worth it!)

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
Current MR Gold will become the new MR Plat, hence you will get Breakfast at lounge or at the restaurant depending the property arrangement.
Assuming Elice is a full Marriott Gold with 50 EQN in Marriott in 2017 or who has qualified in 2018.

If you were MR Gold thanks to a few SPG stays and a status match over to Marriott, I believe that ends on Aug 1.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I have over 100 nights this year, mainly from rollover nights and meetings. Will I get Suite Night Awards or Choice Benefit after the two programs are merged ?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:40 pm

I currently have Marriott Gold status as a result of being given a soft landing from the Marriott Platinum status I held last year (didn't have enough nights to requalify). Come August will this automatically convert to Platinum or will my new status be solely based on the number of nights last year? Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ
I currently have Marriott Gold status as a result of being given a soft landing from the Marriott Platinum status I held last year (didn't have enough nights to requalify). Come August will this automatically convert to Platinum or will my new status be solely based on the number of nights last year? Thanks!
Expectation is you will get what is due Golds at the time your account(s) are merged. MPG has not outlined every possible case. If your risk tolerance is low, then if you can get your 50 MR nights in before the merge, you will be in better shape.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Expectation is you will get what is due Golds at the time your account(s) are merged. MPG has not outlined every possible case. If your risk tolerance is low, then if you can get your 50 MR nights in before the merge, you will be in better shape.
Thanks very much!

I'll definitely have 50 nights in by year end, but could potentially rearrange things to achieve it by August. Will give it a wee think, but worse case is I have the new Gold level for a few months. Thanks again.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Do we have an answer yet on elite nights for credit cards in 2018? I've got two cards, one biz and one personal, which cycle in Oct/Nov. Not sure if the 15 elite nights per year maximum kicks in this August or in 2019. Thanks.

I tried calling Marriott, and it was an exercise in max frustration. Spoke to five different people over two calls, got called the wrong name twice, hung up on once, etc. There are some kinks in the system.

Mike
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mikeef
Spoke to five different people over two calls, got called the wrong name twice, hung up on once, etc. There are some kinks in the system.

Mike
Not that it is any excuse, nobody should give you a wrong name or hang up on you, but you have to feel bad for the phone agents. It's a low paying job and there must be so much confusion and pressure right now.

My niece is in college and has a summer job as a phone agent for a different chain. On Sunday she and one of her friends who is also working there asked me about the merger. They are working for a different chain but people are calling them demanding answers. I gave them a very high level three minutes and they were very thankful. If in one week of working for a different hotel chain they were already frustrated by this one can only imagine how bad it must be for the phone agents at Marriott.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Not that it is any excuse, nobody should give you a wrong name or hang up on you, but you have to feel bad for the phone agents. It's a low paying job and there must be so much confusion and pressure right now.

My niece is in college and has a summer job as a phone agent for a different chain. On Sunday she and one of her friends who is also working there asked me about the merger. They are working for a different chain but people are calling them demanding answers. I gave them a very high level three minutes and they were very thankful. If in one week of working for a different hotel chain they were already frustrated by this one can only imagine how bad it must be for the phone agents at Marriott.
I was a phone representative for a financial services company for two years. I know exactly what they're going through.

For the most part, I don't blame the individuals. The company should make sure that they are prepared to answer questions or, in the alternative, know who to send me to to get those answers. That is Marriott's fault.

The only time I get annoyed at an individual is when they try to guess at an answer, rather than simply saying, I don't know, but let me find somebody who can help.

What they really need is a team dedicated to new MR program. Doesn't need to be big, but they're wasting more resources by not having a centralized knowledge base.

Mike
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I have over 100 nights this year, mainly from rollover nights and meetings. Will I get Suite Night Awards or Choice Benefit after the two programs are merged ?
Curious if anyone knows this answer as well. We'll be made Platinum Premier for sure but wondering if we'll get those suite night awards immediately in August.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Curious if anyone knows this answer as well. We'll be made Platinum Premier for sure but wondering if we'll get those suite night awards immediately in August.

I know this isn't absolute, but so far other than status match levels, pretty much anyway you earn actual status in 2018 looks like it will fly for 2018 (and by proxy 2019) however to get SNA in 2019, you will have to earn them using the new rules which probably won't be quite a generous with meetings and such, as they are under a separate program for Marriott.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
If you are over 75 nights in the current MR when new program kicks in it should trigger emails within a few days asking you to choose your 50 night and 75 night gift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.