Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Horace
The phrase "massive devaluation" might be from another thread here on FlyerTalk's Marriott Rewards forum. The original topic name of that thread was "Massive Points Devaluation Coming In August."

The OP based this incendiary statement entirely on speculation after seeing Marriott's new Award Chart for free nights, effective in August. The chart simply showed that there would be 7 categories in August, and that an 8th category and peak/off-peak would be added in 2019. The chart had nothing about specific hotels.

The only clue from Marriott at that point had been the initial announcement on April 16, 2018, carried live on Facebook. David Flueck, Senior Vice President, Global Loyalty, said, "We're moving to one combined award chart, that's even better value for your points. As we move to one award chart, the amazing thing is we have more hotels that are going down in cost than are going up in cost."

The topic name was changed by a moderator to "SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?"

The thread continued to include assertions of a massive devaluation. There was even a complaint about having "SPECULATION" as part of the topic name.

When Marriott published Preview August Redemption Rates yesterday, it showed some hotels going down, some staying the same, and some going up. Yes, only a tiny fraction of Marriott's properties were listed (after all, it's just a preview), but it seems likely that it's indicative of what to expect.

Honestly, doing a "massive" one-time devaluation -- alienating those who have been loyal to SPG and Rewards -- would be bad business. Marriott is smarter than that.

Category creep over time works much better.

It's always a good idea for members to use points rather than letting them sit and lose value. I've earned over a 3 million Rewards points, but my current balance is below 300,000 (and that includes points I transferred from SPG). I've used travel packages to stay at top hotels in London back when they were category 6.
Thank you so much for your intelligent, polite post showing where that phrase came from. I agree that such a devaluation would be bad for business and it would be better done by category creep over time (which I'm pretty sure they'll do). I have also accumulated millions of Marriott points over the years but currently have less than 400k because as soon as I accumulate enough for the redemption I want then I use them. Honestly, this devaluation probably won't be quite so bad with the new earning rates as long as I can use my existing points and those I accumulate before Aug 1 at the current rates.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I'm quite happy with this peak and off peak redemptions .... I can arrange my trips according to these off peak times and can get lower point redemption

I guess its a way from Marriott to encourage members (who can) to book on off peak period to balance the vacancy rate of their properties
Some people have no choice due to work commitments (if the meeting is tomorrow then surely business travellers must reach the place at that date .. not a week after)
or their holiday is following kids holidays

But there are people who have the freedom to go on holiday at any time
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
[QUOTE=smgainey;29678733I have also accumulated millions of Marriott points over the years but currently have less than 400k because as soon as I accumulate enough for the redemption I want then I use them.[/QUOTE]

My goal is less than 10K total (MR + SPG) by 1 Aug. No need to save MR/SPG points when earning them will be easier starting 1 Aug.
Once I burn those points, it'll be time for burning IHG, Hilton, and Hyatt points. I'm tired of watching my loyalty points diminish in value every year.
smgainey likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I'm quite happy with this peak and off peak redemptions .... I can arrange my trips according to these off peak times and can get lower point redemption
I agree in theory. However, it remains to be seen what will constitute peak vs. off-peak. The same people who were yelling about the massive devaluation are certain that all properties will always be peak season except for the Residence Inn Quad Cities. Personally, I expect it to be somewhat more nuanced, at least at first. Eventually, shifting more of the season to 'peak' might constitute a stealth category change, but I'd like to see the results first.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:35 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by smgainey
Of course the devaluation hasn't happened yet, because the new program hasn't started yet. Whenever a devaluation is announced then people who are upset start complaining, they don't wait until it takes effect to complain.
Except no devaluation has been announced yet. Your are speculating that certain properties MAY go up in redemption level without any evidence to support that premise. Yet you are complaining about that which hasn’t even happened.

I don't want my points devalued at all, so if even one hotel that currently costs 70k will cost up to 100k in the new program, then that makes me unhappy. I agree that a devaluation was probably going to happen eventually, even without a merger, and I would still be just as unhappy.
You are entitled to be unhappy with any devaluation. I am entitled to point out that far more hotels will be revalued than devalued by the coming but as of yet unannounced award chart. I also point out that far more hotels are revalued than devalued by the announced award chart options thus far.

Honestly, this devaluation probably won't be quite so bad with the new earning rates as long as I can use my existing points and those I accumulate before Aug 1 at the current rates.
Above, you’re unhappy with a putative devaluation that largely hasn’t even been announced. Now you’re saying that devaluation probably won’t be quite so bad. My head is spinning.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
They're giving Marriott members perks that we may not necessarily want or care for. I'd much rather NOT have my points devalued than to have an Ambassador or Your24.
I have to agree here.
joshua362 and smgainey like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Except no devaluation has been announced yet. Your are speculating that certain properties MAY go up in redemption level without any evidence to support that premise. Yet you are complaining about that which hasn’t even happened.

You are entitled to be unhappy with any devaluation. I am entitled to point out that far more hotels will be revalued than devalued by the coming but as of yet unannounced award chart. I also point out that far more hotels are revalued than devalued by the announced award chart options thus far.

Above, you’re unhappy with a putative devaluation that largely hasn’t even been announced. Now you’re saying that devaluation probably won’t be quite so bad. My head is spinning.
On the TPG blog post you were the one who assured me that the Tier 5 Ritz Carlton properties were probably going to be Category 8 in the new program (when you incorrectly claimed that I said current Category 9 Marriott properties would), now you're backtracking.

I want to use the points I've already earned at the current award rate, and once the new program starts with a higher earning level then it won't be so bad to use more points for a redemption (although I would prefer not to) since those points will have been earned at a higher/faster rate? Would you like me to do a mathematical example?

Last edited by smgainey; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Furthermore, existing Chase Marriott cards give an extra elite night for every $3000 in spend. That is not mentioned on any of the new cards. So again, if you want more elite night through spend, you have to have (or get) an existing card AFAIK.
Not true. The new Marriott Rewards Premier Visa is the same as the current one. Here is a link to the official page. Click on the second card from the left, Marriott Premier Visa, and scroll down to the Benefits and the third line item is 1 Elite Night Credit per $3000 spent on purchases.
The second card from left, Marriott Premier Visa is the current card, which I already said has that benefit. There is no new version of this card, it's going to be discontinued (for new applications, at least).

I said none of the new cards have that. The site you linked shows both the old and new Marriott cards from Chase (despite a confusing "Arriving Soon" headline that implies it's all new cards). They simply listed the old and new cards together so that you could compare them.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps neither!

Ie, on at least one of those new cards, I saw them say "15 elite nights per year (staring in 2019)". So that implies that the new cards won't give you any 15 nights in 2018, they'll wait until 2019 to give them.

So if you want a chance at 15 more nights this year, you may have to apply for any existing Chase Marriott cards you qualify for.

Furthermore, existing Chase Marriott cards give an extra elite night for every $3000 in spend. That is not mentioned on any of the new cards. So again, if you want more elite night through spend, you have to have (or get) an existing card AFAIK.
Thanks! I've got both the existing Premier Visa Card and the Business Card. As of now, no changes to those. Hoping it stays that way for the $3000 in spend equaling one night...

Mike
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:42 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Has anyone seen / heard whether Amtrak will continue to be one of the transfer partners after August 1?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
On the TPG blog post you were the one who assured me that the Tier 5 Ritz Carlton properties were probably going to be Category 8 in the new program (when you incorrectly claimed that I said current Category 9 Marriott properties would), now you're backtracking.

I want to use the points I've already earned at the current award rate, and once the new program starts with a higher earning level then it won't be so bad to use more points for a redemption (although I would prefer not to) since those points will have been earned at a higher/faster rate? Would you like me to do a mathematical example?
Wow... arguing non-stop on one website isn't enough, you guys are literally arguing on two different websites?

Aye carumba... I actually remember a day when FT was at least somewhat focused on the joy and excitement of... you know... traveling to and experiencing places...

This game is not as fun as it once was...

Regards
dayone and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Wow... arguing non-stop on one website isn't enough, you guys are literally arguing on two different websites?

Aye carumba... I actually remember a day when FT was at least somewhat focused on the joy and excitement of... you know... traveling to and experiencing places...

This game is not as fun as it once was...

Regards
Sorry, I felt compelled to defend myself against his lies about me.

Kind regards 🙂

Last edited by smgainey; Apr 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Lifetime Status not treated fairly

I am very disappointed with the new Lifetime status for SPG members. I don't think it is fair that SPG members like me will only receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status instead of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status when I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum member with (1) 879 SPG lifetime nights (actual nights), (2) $179,626 lifetime revenue spent at SPG properties, (3) 1.5 million Starpoints, (4) 112 lifetime nights with Marriott, and (5) 332,010 Marriott points.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by inflight_irish
I am very disappointed with the new Lifetime status for SPG members. I don't think it is fair that SPG members like me will only receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status instead of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status when I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum member with (1) 879 SPG lifetime nights (actual nights), (2) $179,626 lifetime revenue spent at SPG properties, (3) 1.5 million Starpoints, (4) 112 lifetime nights with Marriott, and (5) 332,010 Marriott points.
Get in line, everybody around here these days seem to feel treated "unfairly" about one thing or another...

Regards
Twickenham, KevSki and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Among many elites, there's a perplexing belief that all of them are above average.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.