Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:54 pm

Is there a soft landing in the new program?

As above, it would be very great if you could clarify if there are soft landings in the new program.

The answer to this will determine whether we bother spending money on achieving the next tier.

Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
This has probably already been addressed, but I really wish they would have come up with a better name than Platinum Premier for the level above Platinum. I guarantee hotel staff are going to be confused, just as they already are today with the current PP unpublished status.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I think that most rational people here recognise that merging two large corporations is a hugely complex and difficult task. This one is no different, and is following the same trajectory as many others I've worked on, a kind of 'Rumsfeld' model :

1) The knew about a load of stuff and decided on the solution before the announcement.
2) They know about a load of other stuff that they know they will have to decide on a solution after the announcement.
3) Following the announcement, a whole load of other stuff, that they didn't even know they had to think about, has emerged, mainly through places like FT.

MR have done 90% of the work, yet are only 50% there.

They have a huge 'to-do' list of things that need sorting, bigger than they ever thought, and a very pressing, self-imposed deadline.

How 'good' or 'bad' the launch is depends on what happens in the next few weeks, not what happened in the last few.
Which is why they should have delayed the launch until January 2019 to give them almost 8 months to get everything right.
unclepants and CLEguy like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jtmann05
This has probably already been addressed, but I really wish they would have come up with a better name than Platinum Premier for the level above Platinum. I guarantee hotel staff are going to be confused, just as they already are today with the current PP unpublished status.
Don't forget about platinum premier ambassador. Then you have folks who are platinum but have the premier credit card, so they're platinum premier but not the real platinum premier. Moreover, there appears to be no order of precedence for the three levels of platinum when it comes to upgrades.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by kilo

I do agree Its almost laughable the suggestion that splitting your reservation to use an SNA is gaming the system or even gambling.

It is the only way it can be used for stays that are not in multiples of 5. The only ‘gambling’ that takes place is whether you get to stay in your suite for the rest of the stay. One can book the suite with cash or points for the extra days, but you will still need a split reservation.
The only reason I called it gambling was that very thing -- some properties will just let you keep the room in the event that it's still available.

It's a gamble worth taking if you want 5 suite nights (of a 7-day stay) to take those nights first and see how it goes. Or to check the availability of suites and split the reservation accordingly.

What remains absurd is the idea you will be punished for doing this. There is no term or condition that says you cannot book multiple consecutive stays at a property. Of course, Marriott could consider them "one stay" for any reason it chooses (this seems irrelevant in the new program, but maybe it isn't).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK no announcement so far.

Past policy seems to be NO on the Starwood side and SOMETIMES with Marriott, where a positive outcome seems to have been more likely if the customer had earned the status for several years, etc. I don't think there was ever a rule or published standard for soft landings, so even if the new program does sometimes give soft landings, there's no guarantee that this courtesy would be extended to a given individual.

In other words, do not assume but YMMV.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rogo
What remains absurd is the idea you will be punished for doing this. There is no term or condition that says you cannot book multiple consecutive stays at a property. Of course, Marriott could consider them "one stay" for any reason it chooses (this seems irrelevant in the new program, but maybe it isn't).
There is nothing wrong with booking multiple consecutive stays, but Starwood terms DO officially count those consecutive stays as ONE longer stay.

As a result, I am aware of several incidences where people tried to game the SNA system as suggested by creating multiple consecutive stays to try and avoid the SNA rules (requiring one to have enough SNAs for every night of a stay)—and had their SNAs canceled out entirely.

Proceed as you wish, but know that booking multiple consecutive stays in an attempt to bypass the SNA rules IS a violation of the SNA rules for Starwood. I would expect that Marriott would adopt those same rules, since the Marriott SNA terms already publicized indicate the exact same restriction.

Trying to do what you’re suggesting IS gaming the SNA system. Whether or not Marriott adopts the same rules or even cares or catches you and cancels out your SNAs is another matter. Proceed with caution.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 21, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mingzie
As above, it would be very great if you could clarify if there are soft landings in the new program.

The answer to this will determine whether we bother spending money on achieving the next tier.

Thanks.
"Soft landings" (dropping down only a single elite level despite not even qualifying for that level) has traditionally been an undocumented feature of Marriott Rewards.

I don't think anyone can say if there will be soft landings in early 2019. Even if there are soft landings, there's no way of knowing what the algorithm will be for who stays at their 2018 level despite not re-qualifying, who get a one-level soft landing, and who drops to a level that only reflects the actual nights stayed. And algorithm could consider many factors.

My guess is that Marriott will be reasonably generous with soft landings in early 2019. After the transition and disruption of 2018, soft landings could be a way to cultivate and keep customers who might initially be alienated by all the changes.

Then again, Marriott might want to cut members who failed to qualify. Some of the status matching of 2016 through 2018 was quite generous, so 2019 might be an opportunity to cut back to only those who genuinely qualify (eliminating the expense of the higher level of benefits).

In short, if you want to be at a particular elite level, it's probably better to qualify for it than to rely on a soft landing.

Qualification rules for 2019 have been published. Elite levels are based on the combined total of Rewards nights and SPG nights added together (although qualification will also be possible one final year under the old SPG rules, relying entirely on SPG properties for qualification based on stays, not nights).
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by cruisr
In order to establish the status level for 2019 are the stays for both hotel chains going to counted together?
Stays is not a criteria for any status level in the merged, 2019 program.

Your total nights earned in both chains will be combined to determine 2019 status.
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
August 1, 2018.
Source?

there appears to be no order of precedence for the three levels of platinum when it comes to upgrades.
Source?

Which is why they should have delayed the launch until January 2019 to give them almost 8 months to get everything right.
I would much prefer they announce things well in advance, allowing time for feedback and adjustments, and announce different aspects of the program at different times to allow for focused feedback on specific areas vs. widespread chaos.

This merger was announced 2.5 years ago. They've been working on it for most of that time. If you think waiting another 9 months, until the very day everything took effect, to announce how it works and expecting every single details to be completely identified and solved to everyone's satisfaction, so it works perfectly on the co-incident announcement day and operational Day 1, I have a vastly different opinion. And having worked through multiple F100 merger integration project, I'm fairly confident in this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by jtmann05
Why would you assume they would have the full name shown to them on their system? What if all the guest screens use something like P1, P2 and P3 internally? All they have to remember is P3 is the best / highest. No confusion.

EDIT- staff arent nessecarly confused about PP benefits. 1) there are no published benefits above regular plat. 2) many may not have even been told what the status is to begin with. At least now, all staff will presumably be required to read up on this new program so at least for some amount of time everybody will be on the same page on the new program. As months and years go on things will become fractured again.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
In my early days as an SPG Platinum,which were also the early days of the SPG Platinum program , the suite upgrade benefit often became a far too prevalent “discussion” at check in. Without smart devices , I often had to get to my room to plug in or call reservations to check availability. That being said , SPG had an excellent guest services hotline . One call to guest services to express my disappointment at not receiving the published suite benefit usually resulted in then calling the property on my behalf . That was typically followed by a call to my room from the duty manager to inform me that they had “found” a suite for me and I could return to get my new keys or have a bellman come up with my new keys and move me. As the SPG Platinum developed , I did find that most properties became more compliant and calls to guest services became a rarity. Of course , there were still rogue properties but they were few and far between . I actually found the luxury properties to be the most accommodating, compliant , and welcoming .
I recall going through the exact same experience and over-time it did get better. I was told by SPG corporate that properties get fined when a guest contacts customer care and the property is found not to be in compliance. She also told me that the hotel needs to respond within a certain timeframe or they will be fined as well.

I always found SPG customer care to be more responsive vs. Marriott.

This might be of interest to some: My Predictions About Marriott’s New Platinum Suite Upgrade Benefit

David Flueck, told me that the new policy is intended to mirror Starwood’s policy rather than Marriott’s policy. That was in response to me asking whether suite upgrades were at the hotel’s discretion (like Marriott), or whether they were guaranteed subject to availability (like Starwood).

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....grade-benefit/
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by imverge; Apr 22, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Transferring pts to someone in your household?

I haven't been able to read the entire thread, so please forgive if it's been addressed.

Is there any mention about transferring the new Marriott points to another members account (with the same address) the way you can now transfer Starwood points?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Member

AmEx (and Marriott) Credit Card Free Nights Awards - Transferable?

Might anyone know if these certificates will be transferable?

Thanks.

Last edited by birdyy; Apr 22, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by birdyy
Is there any mention about transferring the new Marriott points to another members account (with the same address) the way you can now transfer Starwood points?
I haven't seen this addressed, but I hope they continue with the Marriott paradigm where you can transfer as many points as needed for an award to anyone. Otherwise, one can transfer 50K points to their spouse/SO annually. I am unfamiliar with how it currently works for SPG. I hope that info helps in understanding how it currently works at Marriott. - Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.