Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

So will Marriott Plats that have 75 nights already this year get 10 SNA's in the new program that starts Aug 1? Or do we have to wait?
And if you're SPG P50 already with 10 night SNA's, do you keep them in the new program?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
My Starwood American Express card goes from $100.00/year to $450.00/year in August 2018.
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Thank you bhrubin for the clarification, which means if I have 7 night in one stay and apply 5 SNAs I will have to move 2 nights to downgraded room?
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. It means you can't apply the SNAs.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Can you make back to back reservations? If I want to use two SNAs on a five day trip can I make a two and a three day reservation with and without the SNAS? I actually had to do this at a non-Marriott hotel in Greece recently when I could not get the same room type for all four nights and actually had to change rooms in the middle of the stay. Family was staying at the hotel with me and they had already made their reservations so I had to take what was left.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I think you already know that any consecutive back to back stays are actually one longer stay. That doesn’t qualify officially for SNAs unless have enough for the entire stay—unless you want to risk gaming the system and hoping the system doesn’t notice.

IMO if you game the system like that and lose, you don’t get to complain.
Originally Posted by CPRich
I see no issues making a 5 night reservation to apply 5 SNAs and then a 2 night reservation without them, knowing I would need to pack up, check-out, etc. I've made reservations on consecutive nights with different room types in the past, for various reasons, and had no issues.

"Gaming" implies something nefarious, avoiding rules, etc. I'm not aware of any policy that a member can't make multiple reservations. People here often say they break stays into multiple one-nights stays (for some reason). I don't recall hearing objections.
I linked all of these to highlight the last of them. You can absolutely make back-to-back reservations. You can have different room types on back-to-back reservations. You can apply Suite Night Awards to either reservation assuming it's <= the number of nights for which you have SNAs in your account.

You can not expect that the hotel will let you stay in your suite if you do this on the first half of the back-to-back. But some might (will?) because with status you will be entitled to some (space available) upgrades and some of those are suites.

You should also know that the property could also make you check out and check back in, enforcing any times that are permitted for that, depending on where your "second" room will be.

Essentially, someone with 5 SNAs who wants a 7-night stay and is willing to split the reservation to greatly enhance the chance the first 5 nights will be in a suite is gambling, which is a form of "gaming" to be sure. But there is no apparent rule against this nor even the spirit of one. You could just as easily have a 2-night reservation standalone as a platinum and hope for a suite. Just because you had literally just stayed at the hotel beforehand will not be considered any sort of program violation.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rogo
I linked all of these to highlight the last of them. You can absolutely make back-to-back reservations. You can have different room types on back-to-back reservations. You can apply Suite Night Awards to either reservation assuming it's <= the number of nights for which you have SNAs in your account.

You can not expect that the hotel will let you stay in your suite if you do this on the first half of the back-to-back. But some might (will?) because with status you will be entitled to some (space available) upgrades and some of those are suites.

You should also know that the property could also make you check out and check back in, enforcing any times that are permitted for that, depending on where your "second" room will be.

Essentially, someone with 5 SNAs who wants a 7-night stay and is willing to split the reservation to greatly enhance the chance the first 5 nights will be in a suite is gambling, which is a form of "gaming" to be sure. But there is no apparent rule against this nor even the spirit of one. You could just as easily have a 2-night reservation standalone as a platinum and hope for a suite. Just because you had literally just stayed at the hotel beforehand will not be considered any sort of program violation.
I think you will find that both Starwood and Marriott terms consider consecutive stays to be one longer stay. That the technology has limits that might still allow one to arrange such stays does not preclude that being a violation for trying to using Suite Night Awards for partial stays.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The amazing Starwood Lurker has started to answer many of the merger questions in the Wiki here.

(I sure hope the Marriott forum starts to use Wikis a bit more.)
CLEguy and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I would think a new forum would be created, and the sub-forums would be locked, as has happened in previous airline mergers.

Either way, I'm sure we'll train everyone
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

I'm confused about something (well a lot of things).

I'm currently Platinum Elite with Marriott. In the "What's New" details it says that Platinum Elite member tier will change in August and I will become Platinum Premier Elite. If I don't requalify on nights alone will I soft land back down to Platinum Elite (one tier lower) status for 2019?

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by schwimmair
I'm confused about something (well a lot of things).

I'm currently Platinum Elite with Marriott. In the "What's New" details it says that Platinum Elite member tier will change in August and I will become Platinum Premier Elite. If I don't requalify on nights alone will I soft land back down to Platinum Elite (one tier lower) status for 2019?

Thanks so much!
Nobody can give you a definitive answer. Marriott Rewards has traditionally given soft landings (one elite tier down) to members who failed to re-qualify. But this is a new program with new elite qualifications and revised elite benefits. It all depends on how Marriott wants to move forward.

However, be aware that the new (August 2018) Platinum Elite corresponds roughly to SPG's lowest tier of Platinum Preferred Guest, which is somewhat similar to the current Marriott Gold Elite. So, moving "back down to Platinum Elite" is not quite the same returning to the Platinum Elite tier you're in now.
schwimmair likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The amazing Starwood Lurker has started to answer many of the merger questions in the Wiki here.

I found the answer on the "breakfast offering" interesting. Particularly this: "Properties that offer a Food & Beverage credit will offer credits in the amount of $10 USD."

I suspect the $10 coupon will be the Courtyard "breakfast offering." It will barely cover the cost of a coffee and yogurt parfait or bowl of oatmeal.

Then there was this: "Concierge lounge offerings will continue to be based on what the property offers today."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but most new or renovated flagship Marriott properties have M Club lounges, not concierge lounges. Hopefully, the SPG representative was using "concierge lounge" in the colloquial sense. But regardless, the current policy is when a property of a brand that requires a lounge (concierge, executive, M Club, club -- whatever you call it) doesn't have a lounge or closes it on the weekend, it has to offer you the option of breakfast in the restaurant. In North America, that breakfast is, at the minimum, "continental." Internationally, it's defined simply as "breakfast." It remains unclear if this will continue or whether the new choice of a "breakfast offering" at check-in is in lieu of it.

As for access to lounges at legacy Starwood resort-designated hotels, the Starwood representative said eligible elites would continue receiving access as they do now. I sincerely hope that is defined in the terms and conditions because a plain reading of what Marriott has released thus far would indicate this is not the case.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that the breakfast description is still vague.

Am ecstatic that we keep lounge access at Sheraton Waikiki and Moana Surfrider!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:47 am

Agree that the breakfast description is still vague.

Am ecstatic that we keep lounge access at Sheraton Waikiki and Moana Surfrider!
it will be interesting to see if there will still be properties that can substitute 1000 points in lieu of breakfast when lounge is closed .

I am am also curious to see if certain properties will be exempted from suite upgrades.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

it will be interesting to see if there will still be properties that can substitute 1000 points in lieu of breakfast when lounge is closed .

Watch for that list to grow and grow.

Also massive confusion at the front desk as they try to remember the levels and decipher who gets what, interpret it the way they want and generally bicker with the guests when challenged. Its as if none of these decision makers ever spent an hour observing a busy front desk check in event.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mister Nice

Right now, Starwood mandates that Sheraton lounges must remain open (and stocked) 7 days a week. (Does not apply to Westin or other lounges.) I sure hope we don't lose that. Very annoying to stay at a Marriott on a weekend and the lounge is CLOSED!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I think you will find that both Starwood and Marriott terms consider consecutive stays to be one longer stay. That the technology has limits that might still allow one to arrange such stays does not preclude that being a violation for trying to using Suite Night Awards for partial stays.
Yes, they will be credited as one stay. That doesn't mean you can't reserve/SNA 5 nights and reserve/move to a regular room for the next 2 nights, which was the question.

I suspect no one at SPG would support that this very twisted, pedantic reading of definitions is a "violation" of their intended program terms and conditions.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think you'll have more luck here .

(Hopefully. SO far the only response is confirming what's written and William has already confirmed about 12/31 date to earn legacy program LT status. But it's a start, and there's a commitment to post answers. Marriott is much more active on MI than FT)
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by rogo
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, they will be credited as one stay. That doesn't mean you can't reserve/SNA 5 nights and reserve/move to a regular room for the next 2 nights, which was the question.

I suspect no one at SPG would support that this very twisted, pedantic reading of definitions is a "violation" of their intended program terms and conditions.
CPRich, I suspect your question was not directed at the poster you quoted as he/she was actually saying the same thing as you, in response to the post that suggests it’s gaming/ gambling to split a reservation to use an SNA.

I do agree Its almost laughable the suggestion that splitting your reservation to use an SNA is gaming the system or even gambling.

It is the only way it can be used for stays that are not in multiples of 5. The only ‘gambling’ that takes place is whether you get to stay in your suite for the rest of the stay. One can book the suite with cash or points for the extra days, but you will still need a split reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.