Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jrothenb
As far as I'm concerned, and I sincerely hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.
They don't agree b/c SPG didn't have a 75 night LT PLT level. If you chose to spend 250+ nights past 500 at SPG properties (when you knew there was not another SPG LT level to be achieved), you did that of your own prerogative. Why should you expect to get combined program LT at a 75 night level? You weren't expecting that, operated under SPG T&C knowing the rules for over 10 years, and now its unfair?

I suspect the bellyaching is more so b/c MR LT PLTs will be ahead of you (right or wrong). You were already behind SPG 75 PLTs and Ambassadors annually.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I haven't earn anything to suggest that if you have earned SPG Gold for 2018 that they will be cancelling it in August. I'm assuming for 2019, you'll have to meet qualification standards.

When does your card renew? Has Amex emailed anything about Sheraton Club access through the time of renewal? That seems surprising if they haven't. Alternatively, have you checked to see if they will give you a partial refund of your annual fee if Sheraton Club access terminates before the time of renewal?

If they have, I haven't seen it yet. I imagine they will be reaching out about changes in the card soon though.

I have a Marriott Business that renews in the fall, an SPG business that just renewed this month and an SPG personal that renews shortly after the new year... Which is a bit larger time spread for certificate acquisition/ and therefore availability than I'm happy with, as I'll pick up 3 over about 5 months.

I am sympathetic to the argument that loyalty programs change and credit card benefits get withdrawn and that that is just the way it is. There is no way to please everyone and the highest number of stays should be king (unlike Hilton where you can now buy Platinum for the price of one higher end night ... that... is bound to affect service everywhere benefits are granted)

I'm not looking for free breakfast at Marriott, but I do feel deprived of benefits I was told I had achieved through February 2020...

From emails I have received:

Congratulations — you’re Gold with SPG®. Your status is valid through
February 29, 2020.

Remember to book directly with SPG to receive these benefits and more, including Member Exclusive Rates, at hotels and resorts participating in SPG:
EARN MORE.
3 Starpoints® per US$1 spent on eligible purchases
STEP UP YOUR STAY.
Upgrades to enhanced rooms at check-in1
STAY LONGER.
4 p.m. late checkout2

Dear 'an mec',
Congratulations! Your Gold Preferred Guest® status has been renewed because you spent $30,0001 on your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express.
You will continue to enjoy all of the rewards of being an SPG® Gold member:
•3 Starpoints® per eligible U.S. dollar spent at participating hotels and resorts, a 50% bonus over Preferred level.2•Upgrades to enhanced rooms at check-in, when available.3•4 p.m. late checkout, when available.4•Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay. Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access or a complimentary drink.
Plus, all award stays count toward elite status, making it easier to earn Platinum status even faster. With all of the enticing benefits, it's a great year to travel with The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express.
Visit americanexpress.com/starwood to learn more.
Sincerely,
Starwood Preferred Guest

C'est la vie.

Last edited by an mec; Apr 18, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've hit 100 nights for the year and through the spend requirement for Ambassador

I had $35,000 spend in 2017. Not sure of my spend so far in 2018. If I'm at $15,000 in spend in August for YTD but have well over 100 nights credit, do I get an ambassador or do I wait until I hit the $20,000.

And I already had an ambassador on the Marriott side as I was a charter member so wondering if that goes away in the future if I don't hit $20,000. Not that I know what to do with an ambassador ...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I would be happy if we do. Imagine those who complete 75 nights by August, receiving 10 SNA's at transition plus another 10 in 2019, or even better 10 SNA's and 2 free night awards.
I had assumed that SNAs would expire at the end of a calendar or elite year but hopefully they would rollover as long as you maintained the appropriate status.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I called the Marriott PLT desk one hour ago to respectfully advocate that SPG LTP either be grandfathered as the new LTPP, or offered an avenue to earn that status. The PLT agent said that they had received a number of similar calls, and that she believed there was new guidance from above, and asked me to wait on hold while she checked with Marriott Rewards supervisors. I will share exactly what I was told, and please ask that readers treat me as Sgt. Joe Friday, and know I am only sharing the facts as I received them, without any hyperbole added.

1. After checking with two separate MR supervisors and a hold time of nearly one hour, the PLT agent said she was told that SPG LTP will be grandfathered as LTPP. She said that it wouldn’t be right to not grandfather SPG LTP as LTPP when the other two LT groups (MR LTP and RC LTP) are

2. She looked specifically into my own account (with SPG LTP, only modest MR history), and assured me that I would be grandfathered into LTPP

3. She said that it’s important that SPG LTP link their status to their MR account, as this online match is apparently necessary in order to be eligible for the grandfathered status.

4. I asked if she could send me an email confirmation of this for my records. She said that she would be glad to. I have included that email below, and have redacted her personal information since she was very helpful, and I have no desire to get anyone in trouble.

This will be cross posted to both the SPG and MR FT appropriate threads. Wishing all well during these uncertain times!

“Mr. XXXXXXX,

First off, I would like to thank you for your patience today and the extreme long wait you had to endure.

Your question to me was: why under the Marriott account are the Platinum Lifetime elite members going to grand-fathered in as Platinum Lifetime Premier?

I spoke with a representative in Marriott Rewards and they explained that as of today, if a Marriott member and also SPG, and you have linked your accounts together that as of now, you are considered a Marriott Reward member, where as you will also be grand-fathered in Rewards as a Platinum Lifetime Premier.

I hope this helps.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

XXXXX Platinum Desk
XXXXX###
[email protected]

Last edited by jrothenb; Apr 18, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

I called the Marriott PLT desk one hour ago to respectfully advocate that SPG LTP either be grandfathered as the new LTPP,
You must be new to Marriott CS. Call back two more times and you will get two more different answers.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I called the Marriott PLT desk one hour ago to respectfully advocate that SPG LTP either be grandfathered as the new LTPP, or offered an avenue to earn that status. ...
This is not what most were asking for and if true will set up a new inequality. Many of us thought it was unfair that SOME SPG LTP were not being grandfathered into the new LTPP, specifically those with 750+ stays and enough years or points. If they were to include ALL SPG LTP the problem would shift to some Marriott LTG members being treated differently than those from SPG who stayed the same or more nights. Hopefully if there is a correction it won't be this, which would set up a new inequality, but only apply to the SPG LTP who are presently being treated differently than their MR counterparts.

MR Gold was always similar to SPG P50 except for the name, and MR Plat shared nothing but a metal name with SPG P50. P75 was what SPG called what Marriott called Plat. To treat Marriott Gold differently than SPG P50 is just as bad as what the program is planning to do now.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

I called the Marriott PLT desk one hour ago to respectfully advocate that SPG LTP either be grandfathered as the new LTPP, or offered an avenue to earn that status. The PLT agent said that they had received a number of similar calls, and that she believed there was new guidance from above, and asked me to wait on hold while she checked with Marriott Rewards supervisors. I will share exactly what I was told, and please ask that readers treat me as Sgt. Joe Friday, and know I am only sharing the facts as I received them, without any hyperbole added.

1. After checking with two separate MR supervisors and a hold time of nearly one hour, the PLT agent said she was told that SPG LTP will be grandfathered as LTPP. She said that it wouldn’t be right to not grandfather SPG LTP as LTPP when the other two LT groups (MR LTP and RC LTP) are

2. She looked specifically into my own account (with SPG LTP, only modest MR history), and assured me that I would be grandfathered into LTPP

3. She said that it’s important that SPG LTP link their status to their MR account, as this online match is apparently necessary in order to be eligible for the grandfathered status.

4. I asked if she could send me an email confirmation of this for my records. She said that she would be glad to. I have included that email below, and have redacted her personal information since she was very helpful, and I have no desire to get anyone in trouble.

This will be cross posted to both the SPG and MR FT appropriate threads. Wishing all well during these uncertain times!

“Mr. XXXXXXX,

First off, I would like to thank you for your patience today and the extreme long wait you had to endure.

Your question to me was: why under the Marriott account are the Platinum Lifetime elite members going to grand-fathered in as Platinum Lifetime Premier?

I spoke with a representative in Marriott Rewards and they explained that as of today, if a Marriott member and also SPG, and you have linked your accounts together that as of now, you are considered a Marriott Reward member, where as you will also be grand-fathered in Rewards as a Platinum Lifetime Premier.

I hope this helps.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

XXXXX Platinum Desk
XXXXX###
[email protected]

Can you call back and ask them to move my 2pm late check out back to 4pm?

Nice work Joe.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
This is not what most were asking for and if true will set up a new inequality. Many of us thought it was unfair that SOME SPG LTP were not being grandfathered into the new LTPP, specifically those with 750+ stays and enough years or points. If they were to include ALL SPG LTP the problem would shift to some Marriott LTG members being treated differently than those from SPG who stayed the same or more nights. Hopefully if there is a correction it won't be this, which would set up a new inequality, but only apply to the SPG LTP who are presently being treated differently than their MR counterparts.

MR Gold was always similar to SPG P50 except for the name, and MR Plat shared nothing but a metal name with SPG P50. P75 was what SPG called what Marriott called Plat. To treat Marriott Gold differently than SPG P50 is just as bad as what the program is planning to do now.
I would be fine with the 750 combined night and 2MM combined point threshold too, and have said as such, but if we're going to compare apples to apples, then the MR folks should also have had to accrue 10 years elite status, and demonstrated that status by actual physical stays as the SPG side did, not credit card, meetings, etc. Starwood had a much smaller footprint than does Marriott, and those who were loyal from nearly the beginning of Starwood's inception by earning 10 years of elite status and at least 50 true nights per year have shown true loyalty, along with real revenue to the hotels.

We are now all part of the Marriott family, and I think the best way to move forward is for all of us, both legacy SPG and legacy MR customers to look out for each other in this transition, and ask how we would feel if we were in our cousin's shoes. Marriott is a time-honored respected company backed by truly admirable core values. I believe those values will shine through in the end and that fairness will win out.

I truly believe the right and just thing is for all three LTP programs (MR/RC/SPG) to be grandfathered as LTPP. All programs LTP was difficult to earn for different reasons, and all deserve to be on equal footing in the new system.

And if that means that the LTG get bumped up to LTP, then I'm fine with that too. In a few years, all these grandfathered statuses will be curiosities, relics of those who were fortunate enough by age and profession or personal travel habits at the time to have demonstrated the required loyalty before the merger.

May it be so.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I would be fine with the 750 combined night and 2MM combined point threshold too, and have said as such, but if we're going to compare apples to apples, then the MR folks should also have had to accrue 10 years elite status, and demonstrated that status by actual physical stays as the SPG side did, not credit card, meetings, etc. Starwood had a much smaller footprint than does Marriott, and those who were loyal from nearly the beginning of Starwood's inception by earning 10 years of elite status and at least 50 true nights per year have shown true loyalty, along with real revenue to the hotels.

We are now all part of the Marriott family, and I think the best way to move forward is for all of us, both legacy SPG and legacy MR customers to look out for each other in this transition, and ask how we would feel if we were in our cousin's shoes. Marriott is a time-honored respected company backed by truly admirable core values. I believe those values will shine through in the end and that fairness will win out.

I truly believe the right and just thing is for all three LTP programs (MR/RC/SPG) to be grandfathered as LTPP. All programs LTP was difficult to earn for different reasons, and all deserve to be on equal footing in the new system.

And if that means that the LTG get bumped up to LTP, then I'm fine with that too. In a few years, all these grandfathered statuses will be curiosities, relics of those who were fortunate enough by age and profession or personal travel habits at the time to have demonstrated the required loyalty before the merger.

May it be so.
I agree we should look out for each other, That being said, it's fairly clear to me from recent postings that that many SPG gold/plat members acquired status because they were able to get credit for up to 3 rooms per night which wasn't available to Marriott members. Of course, MR members had ways to gain nights as well such as 15 per year for the Marriott CC and rollover nights. In my case, I have nearly 3000 nights but have had the Marriott CC for 10 years and normally significantly exceed the 75 nights per year so have had some rollover. So ... taking that into account, I probably only have 2500-2700 actual nights. I suspect there will be very few SPG members with those kind of nights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
I believe people are reading the published rules of the program.

You have until 12/31/2018 to earn 2M points and 750 nights in Marriott Corp properties to earn LTP status under the Marriott Reward program terms, and be grandfathered to LTPP status in the new program.

I'm unclear as to what "too literal" means.

When you refer to a "vague" statment, do you mean:

I don't see anything vague there.

"Previously achieved", "in Rewards or SPG" - historically, program specific. (spellcheck had histrionically - maybe I should have left it )

"In addition" (i.e., this is different, supplemental, new)

"when you combine...in the new combined program"

Is there other terminology you are referring to?
Thanks for the detailed breakdown! Happy to clarify my intent a bit more...based on the posts I quoted below, I think I understand now why it's important for you to already be a LTP (MR or SPG-->hopefully) because you've earned it before the deadline. People who were unlucky and were unable to earn by the timeframe provided (such as me right now with LTG in both programs) need to pick up our game in 2018 or just settle with the lower status, which we earned and justly deserve. I now see the logic that trying to be bumped up the ladder from LTG to LTPP just by virtue of the combining effect of both programs (exceeding 750 nights and 2MM points) doesn't make sense because we weren't entitled to that level before.

At first, I thought the combined effect is all that matters, but no, that's secondary to the LT status level.
I believe the concise argument why an SPG LTP with 750 combined nights by 8/1/18 (or 12/31/18 as some others have argued) should be mapped to the new LTPP, rather than the new LTP is as follows.

1. By staying 750 combined nights, the SPG LTP has achieved the same requirements as the legacy MR LTP.

2. Now, given that MR LTP also required 2MM added points over the course of the program membership (not taking into account spending), if Marriott can manage from an IT standpoint, it would also be reasonable for Marriott to take LT SPG points earned, multiply that figure by 3 (given the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), and add that number to the same member's MR account points total.

As far as I'm concerned, and I sincerely hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.
Originally Posted by mooper
Thank you - very much appreciated by all!

Nicely done, I agree. My concern is that some SPG LTPs were arguing that all SPG LTPs should be mapped to the new LTPP, and that would be extremely dilutive and unfair to MR LTPs. If it's just for 750 nights + 2MIL point SPG LTPs, then I think quite reasonable and fair for all.

Hopefully Marriott Rewards insider and Starwood Lurker are passing along the feedback.
Agreed with both above. Here's sending some hope and wishes for you SPG LTPs...I'm hoping I can hit MR LTP by August 1 (I realize I may not need to) but why not get a nice mid-year ego boost!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:41 pm

I agree we should look out for each other, That being said, it's fairly clear to me from recent postings that that many SPG gold/plat members acquired status because they were able to get credit for up to 3 rooms per night which wasn't available to Marriott members. Of course, MR members had ways to gain nights as well such as 15 per year for the Marriott CC and rollover nights. In my case, I have nearly 3000 nights but have had the Marriott CC for 10 years and normally significantly exceed the 75 nights per year so have had some rollover. So ... taking that into account, I probably only have 2500-2700 actual nights. I suspect there will be very few SPG members with those kind of nights.
And there is a perception that most MR LTP loaded up on cc nights (not that many as most of us did not charge hundreds of thousands or manufacture spend) and rollover nights (only granted for a few years) and have only been in the MR program for three years (Plat for 14 here which seems very common among MR LTP). The only similarity between SPG P50 and MR P is the name of the color used as the title. Putting ourselves in shoes I agree with the inequality but would hate to see it replaced with a different inequality. If SPG people with 500 credited nights can become LTPP then the same should be given to MR LTG who have the same number or nights.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:44 pm

Certainly take your points, but consider also that Marriott Rewards goes back to 1983. Starwood Preferred Guest wasn't even rolled out until (I believe) 2000. One would have had to earn SPG PLT in 10 of the program's 18 year history in order to qualify for SPG LTP! I'm no company insider, but I can't believe there are very many of us SPG LTP given the fact that one would have had to have been loyal nearly from the start, and for the first few years, no one even knew what/who Starwood was anyway. We've been super duper loyal, and have (perhaps almost evangelically) been directly responsible for a lot of the growth and success that caused Marriott to want to acquire Starwood in the first place. We're just asking for a fair shake in the new scheme, and for our place to be recognized and appreciated.
paolo64 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If SPG people with 500 credited nights can become LTPP then the same should be given to MR LTG who have the same number or nights.
THIS was my point, thank you! But I think I see the logic because SPG LTP had more benefits that MR LTG, based on our prioritization. I'm LTG in both, so I thought it might have counted for something...alas, no freebies in life!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:48 pm

In a few years, all these grandfathered statuses will be curiosities, relics of those who were fortunate enough by age and profession or personal travel habits at the time to have demonstrated the required loyalty before the merger.
My neighbor recently invited me to dinner because he was having an elderly friend over whom he thought I would hit off with. My neighbor was right. The friend was a Delta Flying Colonel. The super-premium level was discontinued twenty-something years ago but for those grandfathered in it is still honored.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.