Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cscasi
Glad to see folks posting the bullet points concerning the merger of the Starwood and Marriott programs. However, I noticed that one bullet point :
"Plus, starting in August, we’ll add 15,000 points for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles, providing you with a total of 25,000 miles in the airline program of your choice".
Is this fuzzy math? Doesn't adding 15,000 points for every 60,000 points one transfers to airline miles add up to 75,000 miles and not 25,000?
Does anyone read through these things before reposting?
You left off the part where 3 Marriott points = 1 airline mile.

So divide 75,000 by 3, and you get 25,000 airline miles.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cscasi
Glad to see folks posting the bullet points concerning the merger of the Starwood and Marriott programs. However, I noticed that one bullet point :
"Plus, starting in August, we’ll add 15,000 points for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles, providing you with a total of 25,000 miles in the airline program of your choice".
Is this fuzzy math? Doesn't adding 15,000 points for every 60,000 points one transfers to airline miles add up to 75,000 miles and not 25,000?
Does anyone read through these things before reposting?
15k+60k=75k which then transfers at 3:1 to 25k airline miles.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
I have an authoritative answer from the head of the Ambassador programme, who kindly emailed me last night.

For the purpose of elite requalification, members will only receive 'night' credit for one room (as per Marriott), rather than multiple rooms (as per SPG).

A paying member will however be awarded points over relevant revenue for multiple rooms (as per both Marriott and SPG). I did not ask about Ritz Carlton.

A paying member will also be awarded revenue recognition for multiple rooms for the purposes of Ambassador $20k revenue threshold.

For SPG members like me, who regularly have multiple concurrent rooms (for which I personally pay), not getting 'night' recognition is a major blow, the consequences of which I am still considering.

I am also more generally concerned that by not making 'Ambassador' a separate tier, it will largely be ignored by the hotels and seen as a 'nice call centre add-on' rather than something that will trigger better treatment. Time will tell...
As for RC, RC rewards have double night credit for stays at RC properties. I wonder if this continue as a bonus to attract people stay at RC since RC extending limited benefits to the members
After the merge, it is not surprising if RC market share chipped away by StR and Luxury Collections especially if those other brands extend better benefits for the members
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kaizen7
It seems like all St R are participated in SPG

Another interesting point is RC Singapore (and RC Reserve properties) is not participated at all and yet still shown on MR/RCR apps

Maybe they pay ludicrous amount of money to hq so they can get access to the booking platform and leverage MR members booking channel but dont have to extend benefits
My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the owners of the Ritz-Carlton in Singapore, which opened in 1996, have an agreement that pre-dates the legacy Ritz-Carlton Rewards program. Such an agreement could preclude a loyalty program. Remember, Ritz-Carlton didn't have a loyalty program until 2010. I guess we will have to wait for the full terms and conditions of the new, unified program to see if this property continues to get an exemption.

I don't know who manages the Ritz-Carlton Singapore for its owner, Pontiac Land. I do know that Pontiac Land also owns the Conrad Centennial Singapore. I presume Marriott International manages it, as I've always been under the impression that most or all Ritz-Carlton properties are managed by Marriott International. The only exception that I know if is the Ritz-Carlton Kuala Lumpur, which is managed by YTL. YTL also manages the J.W. Marriott, which is attached to the Ritz-Carlton.

I do, however, know that the St. Regis Singapore, J.W. Marriott Singapore and W Singapore--Sentosa Cove are all owned by the same owner (Hong Long) and managed by Marriott International.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:01 am

change in sign up promotions

For quite awhile now, SPG has not allowed one who has received a sign-up promotion for a new credit card in the past to receive another one.

I wonder if that will change. If so that will be a big plus. Any ideas?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I'm kind of confused with the Annual Gift Choice. I understand it will be awarded when we complete 50 and 75 nights, but will these be awarded in August as well as in 2019?
Asked a few times in various threads and I think most agree it's an open question. My assumption is that SPG members who stay 50 nights in SPG properties will get the 10 they earned, under the guidance that anything earned under the existing program rules will be honored.

As MR members had no such program....I suspect new PLT's will get 5 and New PP/Ambass will get 10. But that's just a guess.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flapster
Sorry, my question my have been lost in the frantic number of posts.. wondered if anyone knew the answer to this?
Points transferred from SPG to MR will not count for earning MR LT status under the existing program rules, as you state.

Future LT status criteria do not have points requirements. So I'm unclear on the concern/question on how they "count towards lifetime".
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by an mec
Boy this deteriorated.

As to "nothing being taken"

Sheraton club lounges for SPG Business card holders and 4pm check out and 50% earning bonus for SPG gold isn't nothing. It may not be that tremendous to some, but it is not nothing.

I completely understand if Marriott wants to restore order among the elite program, but SPG gold was earned by some agreed upon terms as well and that also deserves respect. Until the end of the calendar year or the card renewal.

I haven't earn anything to suggest that if you have earned SPG Gold for 2018 that they will be cancelling it in August. I'm assuming for 2019, you'll have to meet qualification standards.

When does your card renew? Has Amex emailed anything about Sheraton Club access through the time of renewal? That seems surprising if they haven't. Alternatively, have you checked to see if they will give you a partial refund of your annual fee if Sheraton Club access terminates before the time of renewal?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fayraree
Are people being too literal when they see “MR LTP = LTPP” and not accounting for the published comment that follows, which mentions the (vague) combining effect of LT nights from both programs?[/left]
I believe people are reading the published rules of the program.

You have until 12/31/2018 to earn 2M points and 750 nights in Marriott Corp properties to earn LTP status under the Marriott Reward program terms, and be grandfathered to LTPP status in the new program.

I'm unclear as to what "too literal" means.

When you refer to a "vague" statment, do you mean:

If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.
I don't see anything vague there.

"Previously achieved", "in Rewards or SPG" - historically, program specific. (spellcheck had histrionically - maybe I should have left it )

"In addition" (i.e., this is different, supplemental, new)

"when you combine...in the new combined program"

Is there other terminology you are referring to?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
AC hotels

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Interesting, as the U. S. AC's I've stayed at have been very clear about recognizing status, first time was as Gold.
I found it depends - only stayed in them in Europe - some acknowledged, some didn’t, some gave breakfast, some didn’t. I did get a few upgrades to their junior suite. I had learned just not to expect anything from them - nice to know that should change a bit.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Just because I might have missed it, what is the logic on properties like the Ritz-Carlton and the EDITION? In what way are they different to St Regis properties in that they should not offer breakfast? The only thing I can think of is that Marriott are worried that the property owners wouldn't wear it, but otherwise what is a Ritz-Carlton other than a larger, more globally Americanized St Regis?
I'm not a fan of the Ritz-Carlton brand in any case, but I do like Editions, and as the top tier properties in many cities I travel to, I will inevitably begin using these brands more than before.
I think it’s a missed opportunity for both RC and Edition, but I’m willing to bet that the current exemptions from breakfast are written into the management contracts. For RC, I’m willing to bet that owners (and perhaps Marriott, too) don’t want the breakfast benefit to cannibalizes their Club revenue. For Edition, it’s just a silly pretense as far as I can tell, in much the same way that RC originally thought being part of a loyalty program would somehow impugn their prestige. Just ask St Regis about that and you have an answer.

I suspect going forward that the more breakfast conscious will find W more appealing than Edition. Thus far, Edition hasn’t impressed me as anything more than a slightly less trendy version of W with a little more neighborhood character.

I suspect going forward that the Club and lounge set might still find the RC brand standard worth the upsell to a Club Level. I also suspect that eventually Marriott will cave and offer Club Level or breakfast benefit to Platinum Premier with Ambassador elites—that being a true benefit that no one else enjoys.

I suspect St Regis will do better than RC expects, with many more future Platinums considering it over RC it for the breakfast value add. Time will tell.

I honestly don’t care about lounge or Club benefits, as I always prefer room service or dining in a proper restaurant. Clubs and lounges always feel like havens for families with small children trying to maximize value, and that just isn’t what I want to deal with!

When comparing St Regis to Ritz Carlton, I honestly most care about the StR butler service, including the morning coffee service and the packing/unpacking service. That will almost certainly keep me choosing the StR over the RC in any market that has both—barring other factors.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Lounge access at SPG properties before August 1 for MR Gold

This may be not the most relevant question to the new MR program.
I thought that I read somewhere that (old program) MR Gold elite is allowed to access lounges at SPG hotels, which is effective immediately, rather than after August 1 when those MR Gold elites become Platinum elites in the new program. Am I right or wrong?

I have read the entire thread. But nobody has answered questions related to the RewardPlus program, ie., the status match between United Airlines MileagePlus program and the new MR program.
Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it’s a missed opportunity for both RC and Edition, but I’m willing to bet that the current exemptions from breakfast are written into the management contracts. For RC, I’m willing to bet that owners (and perhaps Marriott, too) don’t want the breakfast benefit to cannibalizes their Club revenue. For Edition, it’s just a silly pretense as far as I can tell, in much the same way that RC originally thought being part of a loyalty program would somehow impugn their prestige. Just ask St Regis about that and you have an answer.

I suspect going forward that the more breakfast conscious will find W more appealing than Edition. Thus far, Edition hasn’t impressed me as anything more than a slightly less trendy version of W with a little more neighborhood character.
You may have a point on the RC Club revenue protection. A membership scheme can always cross charge breakfast to a loyalty programme with internal transfer pricing, but I can see that if lounge revenue is a big driver for RC properties, then free breakfast could be seen to cannibalize that. It sounds to me like Marriott may have decided to pick their battles on this one - We are perhaps relatively lucky that the breakfast wasn't taken away from St Regis's.

The Edition brand is not universally successful (it is no Rosewood), but I do think it occupies a useful space distinct from the W. While both brands have some breadth which means that making definitive statements about their differences is hard, I would guess the average night rate at an Edition to be 50-100% more than the average W night rate. This corresponds with higher quality fittings, larger rooms, better service and more quality F&B. There is no Edition like the weaker W's in Chicago or Atlanta. Editions do not serve Pineapple flavoured Mojitos made out of a paper carton. As a Millennial, the explicit New York upper East brand of the St Regis doesn't always work for me, though I have always preferred it to what to me feels like the tacky wealthy white baby boomer focus of many RC's.

I kinda hope this will change for me to enjoy the benefits of Marriott membership, but given a city with the full range of luxury brands at similar prices and quality my ranking would probably be: Luxury Collection -> St Regis -> Edition -> Ritz-Carlton. Does JW Marriott even belong on the list?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
While your statement might be correct to those who brought the status over from SPG - you have replied to a member talking about the Ritz credit card which grantee a Gold status (in both the Ritz program and the Marriott program - while we can quibble whether they are the same, for me having one number means they are the same).

There will always be winners and losers. I'm OK with being a loser, but not OK with providing my side of the deal, and not getting anything in return.
My wife earned SPG Gold through credit card spend on her biz card. She matched to Marriott. Whenever we open her Marriott account it clearly states Gold Elite. Technically she may not be a Marriott Gold, but Marriott keeps telling us she is. Not that she enjoys the benefits but isn't... that she is

I too am not that upset if we become losers in the deal. We'd like breakfast for our remaining status after August, but it's not going to keep us from using our well- earned points And Marriott can obviously deny us Platinum for the remainder of 2018 if they so choose. But the fact that so many here are arguing profusely that Marriott Gold isn't actually Marriott Gold is. . weird. Perhaps they too are seeing what they want to see.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You may have a point on the RC Club revenue protection. A membership scheme can always cross charge breakfast to a loyalty programme with internal transfer pricing, but I can see that if lounge revenue is a big driver for RC properties, then free breakfast could be seen to cannibalize that. It sounds to me like Marriott may have decided to pick their battles on this one - We are perhaps relatively lucky that the breakfast wasn't taken away from St Regis's.

The Edition brand is not universally successful (it is no Rosewood), but I do think it occupies a useful space distinct from the W. While both brands have some breadth which means that making definitive statements about their differences is hard, I would guess the average night rate at an Edition to be 50-100% more than the average W night rate. This corresponds with higher quality fittings, larger rooms, better service and more quality F&B. There is no Edition like the weaker W's in Chicago or Atlanta. Editions do not serve Pineapple flavoured Mojitos made out of a paper carton. As a Millennial, the explicit New York upper East brand of the St Regis doesn't always work for me, though I have always preferred it to what to me feels like the tacky wealthy white baby boomer focus of many RC's.

I kinda hope this will change for me to enjoy the benefits of Marriott membership, but given a city with the full range of luxury brands at similar prices and quality my ranking would probably be: Luxury Collection -> St Regis -> Edition -> Ritz-Carlton. Does JW Marriott even belong on the list?
Nice analysis.

Certainly a good comparison between the Edition and the W. I like the W and stay at them often but there is often a crowd there sneaking in six people to a room and suitcases full of alcohol. Plus, GM's at W's often care more about the bar revenue than room revenue and seem to often prefer non-guests hanging out by the pool to Platinum SPG members. That being said, I don't get breakfast at LC/StR and no breakfast at RC/Edition. While I'm not a fan of the RC/StR hotel, I'll try some StR and see if my mind is changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.