Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Troopers
You are separating status with published benefits. Status and it's associated benefits are exclusive.

That's not status matching. You enjoy the benefits on Czech because of your status in that alliance...not because your Czech Diamond (or whatever their elite tiers are called). If you logged onto your Czech account, does it say Czech Diamond or equivalent?
You are spot on.

It appears some people want to believe what he wants to believe. I read and craft various contracts, agreements and statements every day to earn a modest wage, and am puzzled at his logic, which blatantly ignores the fact that when your status is shown in Marriott account as Gold, the most reasonable presumption is simply that you are MR Gold, since Marriott has effectively made that representation and common folks will
have relied on the rrpreeentation. Wordings such as “you enjoy the benefits of....” does not mean I am not Gold. It is not contradictory to the reasonable conclusion that I am MR Gold. If anything, it is a nice correlation.

I am not wishful - it’s simply a reasonable and the most likely and logical conclusion. I don’t really care for Plat benefits since I mostly stay at Hyatt now, it’s simply that I like to
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Good news! I just looked at the link posted above to the benefits of the various credit cards. The new Marriott Premier Visa card will offer an Anniversary Free Night at a 35K hotel, so New Cat. 5. IF most Present Cat. 7s make it in, it will be worthwhile to keep the card. Also, I like the 2 pp$ earning on a Visa, which is almost as good as 1 Hyatt pp$ on the Chase Hyatt Visa or Sapphire! Although I wish they would offer double-earnings merchant categories, meaning 4 pp$.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by an mec
Sheraton club lounges for SPG Business card holders and 4pm check out and 50% earning bonus for SPG gold isn't nothing. It may not be that tremendous to some, but it is not nothing.
Shouldnt the beef be with AmEx then since they are the ones that promised you specific features of the card to get your business? They pay for these points and amenities to enhance their card offerings over other cards to get your business. If AmEx is selling a feature that doesnt even exist anymore and can not be used, why not let them know?
an mec likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
Shouldnt the beef be with AmEx then since they are the ones that promised you specific features of the card to get your business? They pay for these points and amenities to enhance their card offerings over other cards to get your business. If AmEx is selling a feature that doesnt even exist anymore and can not be used, why not let them know?
In the case of the Sheraton club access, that was outside of elite statuses and tied to card holding status. The SPG gold was from card holding (Platinum), card spending, (the SPG cards) and earned SPG status. So Amex and SPG share the responsibility for some of it and there are presumably those with SPG gold who never held an Amex card. I think when Marriott bought SPG they bought the promise... At least through the agreed life of the earned benefit.

From the perspective of an "Amex" SPG earner, the real value was the earning rate, and the other benefits we're just gravy. I only had 4 stays in the past year, two Sheraton and two Residents Inn, but I used late check out 3 times and the Sheraton club twice. The changes are what they are, but I think the best move from a PR angle is to fulfill your promises. If you tell a customer "if you buy or complete these criteria, you receive X", you should deliver X.
​​​​

Last edited by an mec; Apr 18, 2018 at 5:58 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think I've qualified too. I'm interested to see what, if any difference, ambassador makes. I don't care about a slice of cake or a fruit plate in my room. Bathrobe and slippers in every room is something I would want. I would also want individual bottles of toiletries. A bottle of champagne every now and again would also be appreciated, especially when I redeem points for my yearly week in London and yearly week in Paris.

I would like to see the new terms and conditions clearly define the upgrade order with platinum premier ambassador taking a codified precedence over platinum premier and platinum premier clearly given a codified precedence over platinum.

I actually wonder if the ambassador service is all smoke and mirrors in that many people don't really use it. It's like credit cards that offer concierges. I don't know anyone who has ever used it. I suspect that many high-rollers have a travel agent or manager, executive assistant, or junior staffer who helps with their air travel and hotel reservations. Regardless, I also suspect that in many cases it's just easier to make a booking yourself and then just let the ambassador know you have a special request for that upcoming stay.
I think a few of us have answered this, but once again.

Currently (who knows what Marriott will tell them in the future) you develop a relationship with your Ambassador, they will interview you for your detailed preferences and be your advocate for upgrades and special tweaks on trips. Anyone that thinks they are their personal assistant have delusional expectations. You are not the only person they work with, so like most things, use them where it matters. Want a suite on your special trip? Sure, Try to get them to get you a suite every business trip you'll just dilute their effort when it really matters.

Compared to the Marriott Platinum Premier, which I was for 8 years, the Ambassador is many times better. Call a 'special' number with Marriott vs. having a direct line to the same person, I think it's obvious. One example to show their ability (and nothing is guaranteed, they can only advocate for you with the hotel)

Westin Excelsior in Florence.
- Award stay for standard room
- Upgrade to a suite over looking the river - upgrade was confirmed before we arrived
- A room service table filled with snacks delivered to the room with wine
- Staff was very attentive and recognized our status when we arrived

I never communicated with the hotel before hand all I did was make the reservation and let my Ambassador know it was our anniversary, she did the rest. Pretty darn sure this is nothing like a credit card concierge. Are all AMB as good as mine, no, but if you are really unhappy you can get them changed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:40 pm

Anyone know what the UA status will be with the new program?

Currently my parents get Marriott Gold through lifetime UA gold so will they be getting new Gold rather than new Platinum and lose free breakfast? I qualify for Marriott Gold through Marriott nights which currently doesn't entitle me to UA silver but I know that's a Platinum benefit. Because I'll become a new Platinum, I was just wondering if I could occasionally fly Economy Plus with UA.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Where did you find the terms?
https://members.marriott.com/faq/#wh...te-night-award
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by estedman
I wonder if this will have any effect on some of the hotels that are not part of the program like the St. Regis Singapore. I am hoping they come in now.
do you mean Ritz Carlton Singapore? I hope they participate now
As St Regis Singapore is part of SPG
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:36 pm

I'm kind of confused with the Annual Gift Choice. I understand it will be awarded when we complete 50 and 75 nights, but will these be awarded in August as well as in 2019?
svo242 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:13 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by Vulcan
What happens to my Starwood Business Amex card that provides me with Lounge access at all Sheratons. I got this card and paid for renewals on this express promise. Can/will Marriott simply void it?
According to TPG, they will do away with access at the Sheraton lounges and instead, implement 4x earnings for restaurants/gas/telecommunications/shipping.

Last edited by DeltaFlyer IntrepidClass; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:25 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by I Fly Delta Jets
Point of contention is, do SPG golds get Platinum for the rest of the year, 5 months to be exact or may be 6? I have a feeling that they would extend Platinum to ALL Golds irrespective, not because its fair/unfair but because of goodwill. They look at how many people they would piss off if they don't. Again, there are SPG Golds that took Amex route. AMEX made certain promises when they sold their product, for example lounge access for Business card holders, how would they deal with them? To avoid all these headaches MR will simply extend Platinum for the rest of the year, IMO. From 2019 onward things are clear.
Here in the UK, there was a press conference for bloggers that Raffles went to and posted that:

Marriott’s European VP of loyalty confirmed that any Amex Platinum member who has matched their SPG Gold to Marriott Gold will become Marriott Platinum until the end of 2018.
This does seem contradict what David Fleuck said although perhaps not. You’d think they’d have had made sure everyone was on the same page though

Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:19 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by yrs
I will qualify for MR LTG next month, which I understand will become LTP in the new program. I can not go higher than LTP in the new program.

My question is about a credit card strategy:

I currently have all four credit cards:
1) MR Personal Visa
2) MR Business Visa
3) SPG Amex Personal
4) SPG Amex Business

Since the 15 night annual bonus seems to be limited to one per account, I am wondering which card to keep, and which ones to cancel. Would appreciate suggestions based on the information available so far.
I have those 4 cards as well and even though you can't stack those 15 elite night credits, you'll still get 4 free nights every year. So I might keep all of them. Add in the new Chase and Amex cards, and you'll get 6 free nights with those 6 cards, one of which (Amex SPG luxury card) is eligible to be applied for a stay valued at up to 50k points.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
I have those 4 cards as well and even though you can't stack those 15 elite night credits, you'll still get 4 free nights every year. So I might keep all of them. Add in the new Chase and Amex cards, and you'll get 6 free nights with those 6 cards, one of which (Amex SPG luxury card) is eligible to be applied for a stay valued at up to 50k points.
Would my stays in SPG and Marriott be combined in Aug? eg 25 nights in SPG and 25 nights in Marriott becomes 50 nights under the new program?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:41 am

It is good to see these changes at least being clarified.
I sure hope that AC Hotels get roped into them in particular recognition of elite status.
I had booked AC Hotels for recent trips to Europe mainly Spain and have been grossly disappointed at the lack of recognition or any perks associated with my Gold Elite status.
Foolishly, I stuck with the Marriott chain as I assumed that there would be some recognition for an Elite member.
As late of last week, I stayed at the Marriott Hotel Puerto Atocha in Madrid and received nil above the basic level of service let alone being told thanks for staying.
Maybe things will change ??
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by Flapster
I didn't see this question answered, so apologies if it's a repeat:

I previously converted SPG points to Marriott. These do NOT show up as counting towards lifetime status. Do we know if following the merger, both new points in, and old points previously transferred will count towards lifetime?

Thank you.
Sorry, my question my have been lost in the frantic number of posts.. wondered if anyone knew the answer to this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.