Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

I am new to this (got MR Gold recently after linking SPG Gold which came with CA Amex Plat) but I read fine print carefully, out of professional habit. Nowhere did I read, that by linking my MR account with SPG Gold, I would be getting anything different from a true “earned” MR Gold. I am MR Gold when I log into Marriott, statements from Marriott show that I am Gold. For all intent and purposes, there is no distinction, either superficial or in substance, between my MR Gold and Gold that has been earned by staying 50 nights.

Based on the content on the webpage linked from my email from Marriott, I will get MR Plat in August.
You did not get anything different during the status match, but nowhere did it say you would become a MR Gold. You were treated as Gold because of your status match but you remained an SPG Gold with a status match, not a MR Gold. Could it have been clearer? Yes. Now that there is no need for status match those parameters are done and the new parameters, qualification for the new program, is based on your earned tier, not your status match.

David Flueck made it very clear today that people in your situation will be Gold in the new program in the following video, around the ten minute mark. The point is made and repeated for clarity.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
For those Starwood elites who “lose” something or feel cheated,...

For those Marriott elites who “lose” something or feel cheated...
And let's remember that Marriott can contractually change the program at any time in any way. We all know that.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes it is. Neither quote says you become a Marriott Gold member. The first quote makes it clear that when you status match you can, "enjoy the benefits" of Marriott Gold. The second just clarifies who is eligible to enjoy the benefits. There is a big difference between actually getting MR status and enjoying the benefits because you have SPG status. Sorry if you read what you wanted to be there instead of what was actually there, but MR obviously wrote it in a way for you to believe what was not there.
Every communication (social media, website, confirmations, etc) from Marriott states/displays a Gold member. I can show you if don't believe me. I've been welcome to hotels as a Gold member. I've have never been addressed as anything else (post status match).

Can you point to me where the "big difference between actually getting MR status and enjoying the benefits because you have SPG status" is specified, defined and where/how the distinction is determined? If it is a "big difference" it surely must be defined, no? English is not my first language...can you kindly define "status match" in context of hotel/airline loyalty programs? Or can you point where "status match" as you defined it occurs elsewhere?

And, of course, David Flueck has made this point very clear in the new video.
Did he? I think he contradicted himself.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 17, 2018 at 6:38 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Can you point to me where the "big difference between actually getting MR status and enjoying the benefits because you have SPG status" is specified, defined and where/how the distinction is determined? If it is a "big difference" it surely must be defined, no? English is not my first language...can you kindly define "status match" in context of hotel/airline loyalty programs? Or can you point where "status match" as you defined it occurs elsewhere?
It is defined within the marketing materials where it never says you become MR Gold but, instead, you enjoy the benefits. It's right there. Your choosing to ignore it and read something else into it does not change what it says. Yes, it was written in a way to confuse the issue, but it was written with the definition within.

Airlines within the same alliance use a similar type of status matching. If I am DL Diamond and I fly Czech I do not suddenly have status on Czech but I enjoy elite benefits like free luggage and lounge access.

Originally Posted by Troopers
Did he? I think he contradicted himself.
Yes, he clearly states this and reiterates it for clarity. The link is on another post nearby. But no, he does not contradict himself as he makes clear in the video that those with a status match enjoyed the benefits while the status match period lasted. MR is moving into a new program and there will no longer be a status match, Members will be treated based on their qualification level. (Post #345 )
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:46 pm

David Flueck made it very clear today that people in your situation will be Gold in the new program in the following video, around the ten minute mark. The point is made and repeated for clarity.
There's an article from the Australian Business Traveller that says otherwise: https://www.ausbt.com.au/five-things...tm_source=hero
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
There's an article from the Australian Business Traveller that says otherwise: https://www.ausbt.com.au/five-things...tm_source=hero
David Flueck is in charge of the program. Marriott International’s Chief Sales and Marketing Officer for Asia Pacific, Peggy Fang Roe, is not in charge of the program and did not make the decisions on qualification. I actually emailed the Australian author an hour or so ago. He is aware the information is incorrect.

If you watch the video it is very clear that as of Aug 1 people who qualified as SPG Gold will be Gold in the new program. It comes from the person in charge of the program's mouth, is clear and is repeated for accuracy. He discusses the rational in detail, making it clear the thought and facts that went into the decision.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:05 pm

It is defined within the marketing materials where it never says you become MR Gold but, instead, you enjoy the benefits. It's right there. Your choosing to ignore it and read something else into it does not change what it says. Yes, it was written in a way to confuse the issue, but it was written with the definition within.
You are separating status with published benefits. Status and it's associated benefits are exclusive.

Airlines within the same alliance use a similar type of status matching. If I am DL Diamond and I fly Czech I do not suddenly have status on Czech but I enjoy elite benefits like free luggage and lounge access.
That's not status matching. You enjoy the benefits on Czech because of your status in that alliance...not because your Czech Diamond (or whatever their elite tiers are called). If you logged onto your Czech account, does it say Czech Diamond or equivalent?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:08 pm

If you watch the video it is very clear that as of Aug 1 people who qualified as SPG Gold will be Gold in the new program. It comes from the person in charge of the program's mouth, is clear and is repeated for accuracy. He discusses the rational in detail, making it clear the thought and facts that went into the decision.
I agree. Where it is unclear to me, is that he starts by saying in 2018 that they are not making any changes to take anything away.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:12 pm

Bottom line, you can think it is unfair but in today's video David Flueck made it very clear that your status in the new program will be granted based on your qualifying status and program and that the status match allowed you benefits but did not grant you status in the other program. He sets the rules. He has given the clear answer.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Maybe country-issued based benefit?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:17 pm

Bottom line, you can think it is unfair but in today's video David Flueck made it very clear that your status in the new program will be granted based on your qualifying status and program and that the status match allowed you benefits but did not grant you status in the other program. He sets the rules. He has given the clear answer.
Fair or unfair, doesn't bother me...it is what it is. I'm just trying to figure out if I should stay in Marriotts this fall/winter.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by OtherDave
Haven't seen anything about rollover nights. I heard they were going away. I have 45 rollover nights from 2017... wondering how those will be handled for my 2019 status.
I have 23 rollover nights, as as I understand it, those nights are included to calculate status for this year, and for the remainder of 2019. So I would assume that means you'll have Plat status through 2019. But...It's still not clear to me if 2019 status ends in Feb 2019 or December 2019...anyone know?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if this will have any effect on some of the hotels that are not part of the program like the St. Regis Singapore. I am hoping they come in now.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:47 pm

Point of contention is, do SPG golds get Platinum for the rest of the year, 5 months to be exact or may be 6? I have a feeling that they would extend Platinum to ALL Golds irrespective, not because its fair/unfair but because of goodwill. They look at how many people they would piss off if they don't. Again, there are SPG Golds that took Amex route. AMEX made certain promises when they sold their product, for example lounge access for Business card holders, how would they deal with them? To avoid all these headaches MR will simply extend Platinum for the rest of the year, IMO. From 2019 onward things are clear.
an mec likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:08 pm

Boy this deteriorated.

As to "nothing being taken"

Sheraton club lounges for SPG Business card holders and 4pm check out and 50% earning bonus for SPG gold isn't nothing. It may not be that tremendous to some, but it is not nothing.

I completely understand if Marriott wants to restore order among the elite program, but SPG gold was earned by some agreed upon terms as well and that also deserves respect. Until the end of the calendar year or the card renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.