Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Bravo to the Marriott PR team and their blogger shills..
I don't think it was Marriott P.R. as much as the credit card-pimping bloggers -- Gary Leff is an exception, but pretty much everyone else who isn't a real journalist is just a paid salesman for the credit card companies -- afraid to be honest about the devaluation of award-redemptions because they don't want aspirational travelers not to sign-up for credit cards through their miles-and-points blogs.
joshua362 and yurtripper like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Except at Resorts which is a loss to all the past SPG loyalists, who had that, even though I recognize that it was always a MR rule.
But that doesn't mean individual properties can't opt-in and provide it. For example, many of the legacy Starwood properties in Hawaii have club lounges.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fizzer
When I read the terms on the Marriott site they were identical to those of the SPG SNA .
Where did you find the terms?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yurtripper
It may be that they were allowing for the possibility that there are members in either scheme who have not yet linked their accounts. For FTers, this idea seems so outlandish that one could scarcely countenance it; for members of the general public, it may actually be more common than we think.
My boss's boss is a Marriott lifetime platinum and a SPG gold. He's never linked. We've him instructions. He says he can't be bothered.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I listened to the VP on TPG video. I may have heard incorrectly but I thought he said that they didn’t want to take away anything from current elites . However , by mapping SPG Gold and RC Credit Card Gold to NEW Gold on 8/1 , aren’t they indeed taking away lounge access and breakfast from current Golds who mapped from SPG or earned via the Ritz card ? Yes , Gold will still be Gold but with far less benefits .
You heard correctly. The VP said that in 2018 that they were not going to make any changes to take anything away from their existing members.

But they are.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I listened to the VP on TPG video. I may have heard incorrectly but I thought he said that they didn’t want to take away anything from current elites . However , by mapping SPG Gold and RC Credit Card Gold to NEW Gold on 8/1 , aren’t they indeed taking away lounge access and breakfast from current Golds who mapped from SPG or earned via the Ritz card ? Yes , Gold will still be Gold but with far less benefits .
The point carefully made over and over again is you are not losing any benefits earned. You will still receive the same benefits you were receiving as an SPG Gold. There will no longer be a need for a status match wherein you were given MR Gold benefits but never were actually a MR Gold. People somehow thought they were MR Gold because of the status match which was never the case. MR Gold shared the same metal name but the two were always different tiers with different qualification requirements and different benefits.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

However , by mapping SPG Gold and RC Credit Card Gold to NEW Gold on 8/1 , aren’t they indeed taking away lounge access and breakfast from current Golds who mapped from SPG or earned via the Ritz card ? Yes , Gold will still be Gold but with far less benefits .
Technically, no if only because Ritz-Carlton golds never had lounge access at Ritz-Carlton. Remember, it was Ritz-Carlton Rewards.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
You heard correctly. The VP said that in 2018 that they were not going to make any changes to take anything away from their existing members.

But they are.
Thank you for confirming what I thought I heard . Very disingenuous declaration that they are not taking away benefits from current elites in 2018.

Will be be very interesting to see if any properties are allowed to opt out of breakfast benefit and give 1000 points instead as some hotels are allowed to do now . Also , will be interesting to see if there are exemptions to suite upgrades (both space available and via suite night certs).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:28 pm

But they are.
No, you are still receiving the same benefits you earned as an SPG Gold. If you look back, you will see the marketing materials always said if you link your account you could enjoy the same benefits as a MR Gold when you stayed at Marriott. You were never told you are a Marriott Gold although it seems some people misinterpreted that. Since there will no longer be a need for a status match once the programs are combined in Aug you will be treated the same as you earned.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
No, you are still receiving the same benefits you earned as an SPG Gold. If you look back, you will see the marketing materials always said if you link your account you could enjoy the same benefits as a MR Gold when you stayed at Marriott. You were never told you are a Marriott Gold although it seems some people misinterpreted that. Since there will no longer be a need for a status match once the programs are combined in Aug you will be treated the same as you earned.
But that's not what the website says:

Link your accounts and get your status matched, instantly. Then enjoy the benefits you've come to expect in not just one program but two.

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...my-accounts.mi

Furthermore, per the T&C (https://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/):

Status Match
  1. Status Match Eligibility. At any time at or after having linked his or her applicable Program member accounts, if a Linked Member has Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status (as defined in the SPG Terms) in the SPG Program or has Elite memberships status in the Elite Membership Program (as defined in the Rewards Program Rules) of the Rewards Program, the Operators will match his or her highest elite membership status, if applicable, as follows:
    1. If a Linked Member has achieved a higher elite membership status in the SPG Program than in a Rewards Program, the Linked Member will receive matched status in Marriott’s Elite Membership Program as set forth in the below chart:If a Linked Member has the following Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status in the SPG Program:The matched status in Rewards’ Elite Membership Program will be:Platinum Preferred GuestPlatinumGold Preferred GuestGoldPreferred Plus* GuestSilverPreferred GuestMember
Apologies for formatting, I simply cut and pasted from website.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 17, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by dennypayne
I'm looking for this info too, although I only carry the personal cards. As another poster pointed out, it seems strange to merge the program but keep separately-branded cards. And since I'm no longer allowed by company policy to use personal cards for business travel, it doesn't seem worth it to keep paying the annual fee on the SPG Amex if I can't gain any additional nights credit beyond what the Marriott Visa will give.
I'm hoping to get an analysis on this topic, however, some of the card updates (e.g., Ritz Carlton card) haven't been revealed yet.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We really are witnessing the “see only what you want to see” phenomenon in a major way with this loyalty program announcement. People are grasping for straws even when it’s obvious the straws aren’t there. It truly is mind-blowing to see how may people really got to game the system and now are shocked and/or outraged when the system catches on and up.

Karma is a beautiful thing. Entitlement isn’t.

For those who “lose” something or feel cheated, let’s not forget that everyone expected all of this to come down a year ago! So you had an extra year to enjoy your unexpected benefits. Call it a win and enjoy that you had it for a while longer than you expected.

For those Starwood elites who “lose” something or feel cheated, let’s not forget that Marriott bought Starwood. So Starwood elites keeping any benefits is better than almost everyone expected when this acquisition/merger was announced. It’s still a big win thus far, and Starwood elites are more or less keeping all of the major benefits of the SPG program. Pretty incredible, all things considered.

For those Marriott elites who “lose” something or feel cheated, let’s not forget that there’d be no guaranteed suite upgrades, no guaranteed late checkout, no increased breakfast benefit options, etc without the Starwood takeover. Most of the new benefits are completely new to you. Some hotels cost you more soon? Well, you have many more benefits at them to enjoy now, too. And many more aspirational hotels you never before could dream of.

For those who “win” something, let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

For those who cannot accept that change is the only constant in this world, I’m sorry to say you need to wake up.
C17PSGR, getagb and Kiara like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The point carefully made over and over again is you are not losing any benefits earned. You will still receive the same benefits you were receiving as an SPG Gold. There will no longer be a need for a status match wherein you were given MR Gold benefits but never were actually a MR Gold. People somehow thought they were MR Gold because of the status match which was never the case. MR Gold shared the same metal name but the two were always different tiers with different qualification requirements and different benefits.
I am new to this (got MR Gold recently after linking SPG Gold which came with CA Amex Plat) but I read fine print carefully, out of professional habit. Nowhere did I read, that by linking my MR account with SPG Gold, I would be getting anything different from a true “earned” MR Gold. I am MR Gold when I log into Marriott, statements from Marriott show that I am Gold. For all intent and purposes, there is no distinction, either superficial or in substance, between my MR Gold and Gold that has been earned by staying 50 nights.

Based on the content on the webpage linked from my email from Marriott, I will get MR Plat in August.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:10 pm

But that's not what the website says:
Yes it is. Neither quote says you become a Marriott Gold member. The first quote makes it clear that when you status match you can, "enjoy the benefits" of Marriott Gold. The second just clarifies who is eligible to enjoy the benefits. There is a big difference between actually getting MR status and enjoying the benefits because you have SPG status. Sorry if you read what you wanted to be there instead of what was actually there, but MR obviously wrote it in a way for you to believe what was not there.

And, of course, David Flueck has made this point very clear in the new video.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

I am new to this (got MR Gold recently after linking SPG Gold which came with CA Amex Plat) but I read fine print carefully, out of professional habit. Nowhere did I read, that by linking my MR account with SPG Gold, I would be getting anything different from a true “earned” MR Gold. I am MR Gold when I log into Marriott, statements from Marriott show that I am Gold. For all intent and purposes, there is no distinction, either superficial or in substance, between my MR Gold and Gold that has been earned by staying 50 nights.

Based on the content on the webpage linked from my email from Marriott, I will get MR Plat in August.
You did not get anything different during the status match, but nowhere did it say you would become a MR Gold. You were treated as Gold because of your status match but you remained an SPG Gold with a status match, not a MR Gold. Could it have been clearer? Yes. Now that there is no need for status match those parameters are done and the new parameters, qualification for the new program, is based on your earned tier, not your status match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.