Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I should have lifetime platinum premier status if all goes well, so I could just become a free agent. As I said, so much depends on terms and conditions, which Marriott has not released.

The problem is there isn't much competition. IHG is worthless, Hilton is devalued and Radisson/Club Carlson is only a consideration in some parts of Europe. Hyatt is the only one that could compete with Marriott International, notwithstanding its small footprint.
Under the new terms, I have the lifetime status you will earn (Grandfathered in), so I’m already a free agent.

My point is (for now), Marriott have taken a considered view & have taken the best of both worlds to create a rewards programme which on face value, is the best in the market.

It would have been very very easy to immediately devalue status levels

* we all know what “dynamic pricing” means - I fully expect my redemptions to double in cost once things are announced. But hey, if it’s still the best value out there - then it’s the best value

bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by cooperhs
Horace, thanks for your response, although your opinion seems to be in the minority. I am Marriott Gold. I am also SPG Gold. One links to new Plat, one links to new Gold. Where does it say that "Only earned MR Gold Elite become Plat Elite in August?" I don't see any asterisks on the Marriott chart that says I become Plat.
So if I'm reading this correctly, you're MR Gold through stays (50 nights with Marriott). If that's the case, you'll be Plat on 1 Aug. If you're MR Gold through the SPG Gold to MR Gold match, you will stay Gold on 1 Aug.

The charts only apply to how you earned your original status, not match between the two programs.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Horace
Is one of those earned and the other linked? Linked status is only in effect while there are still separate programs.

If SPG status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/spg/ and you'll see that Gold Preferred Guest today becomes Gold Elite in August.

If Marriott Rewards status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/ and you'll see that Gold Elite today becomes Platinum Elite in August.

It makes sense that the two are different. Marriott Rewards Gold Elite requires 50 nights, just like Platinum Elite in the combined program.
And if, after linking from Gold Spg, one is successful in the Platinum Marriott Challenge before August, will be Platinum or Premier, (or Gold) after August?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
If it has been answered, please pardon this question. Will Resorts now provide breakfast for elites?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Looks like only 1 room will earn elite credit moving forward!

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....323.1428926485

Where do you see the following? Thanks.

The charts only apply to how you earned your original status, not match between the two programs.[/QUOTE]

Programs: AAdvantage LT Gold, SkyMiles Platinum, Marriott LT Titanium, EX-Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yrs
I currently have all four credit cards:
1) MR Personal Visa
2) MR Business Visa
3) SPG Amex Personal
4) SPG Amex Business

Since the 15 night annual bonus seems to be limited to one per account, I am wondering which card to keep, and which ones to cancel. Would appreciate suggestions based on the information available so far.
I'm looking for this info too, although I only carry the personal cards. As another poster pointed out, it seems strange to merge the program but keep separately-branded cards. And since I'm no longer allowed by company policy to use personal cards for business travel, it doesn't seem worth it to keep paying the annual fee on the SPG Amex if I can't gain any additional nights credit beyond what the Marriott Visa will give.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by HookEm
If it has been answered, please pardon this question. Will Resorts now provide breakfast for elites?
see post #7 in this thread, quick answer - I’m afraid not.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dingjie
Good news! Marriott Gold will be Marriott Platinum this August!
Except that Lucky jumped the gun, and admitted half way down the comments that he hadn't even realised there was a contradiction between the SPG table and the MR table. He said he was 'confused' and would seek clarification (probably better to do that BEFORE you post the article but we're talking bloggers here).

Originally Posted by pinniped
18-hour news grenade...
Of a statement that was neither accurate nor definitive, because it was made prematurely by someone (Lucky) who did not have full grasp of the facts or issues when he posted it.

Is one of those earned and the other linked? Linked status is only in effect while there are still separate programs.

If SPG status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/spg/ and you'll see that Gold Preferred Guest today becomes Gold Elite in August.

If Marriott Rewards status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/ and you'll see that Gold Elite today becomes Platinum Elite in August.

It makes sense that the two are different. Marriott Rewards Gold Elite requires 50 nights, just like Platinum Elite in the combined program.
There are at least two Marriott VPs who have admitted today that they don't know the answers to the questions posed about status conversion in August (one of them was referred to by Raffles on his HFP website, I forget where I heard about the other one). Maybe you should fill them in if you know something they don't and you know it definitively.

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
And if, after linking from Gold Spg, one is successful in the Platinum Marriott Challenge before August, will be Platinum or Premier, (or Gold) after August?
This is related to one of the questions left for the Lurker on the Starwood WIKI. At present, it remains unresolved (unconfirmed by anyone with official status, rather than FT posters making educated guesses). There are currently four questions on the Starwood Wiki concerning these issues.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HookEm
Yes! For Platinum Elite (and higher), according to https://members.marriott.com/faq/ (bold and red text to highlight text from the FAQ):

Is complimentary breakfast available for Platinum Elite members?

After 50 nights across the portfolio, members will achieve Platinum Elite status. As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option. A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and resorts. Brands that are currently offering lounge access will continue to offer complimentary breakfast as part of the lounge offering.

Originally Posted by Wickersley
see post #7 in this thread, quick answer - I’m afraid not.
Resorts are excluded from lounge access, which is a separately listed benefit.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:44 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Rewards

Originally Posted by Troopers
@Marriott Rewards Insider

Why merge three programs into "one powerful program" (new name to be announced later) but card offerings for 3 distinct brands (Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG) none of which is the new TBA powerful program?...
We are working to bring together the best of both programs. And we wanted to give members even more opportunities, so we’re aligning our Elite status tiers, benefits, currency, and digital platforms.

As for the credit cards, some will have new, enhanced benefits that take effect between August and early 2019. Beginning in August, you’ll be able to earn and redeem points across all participating SPG and Rewards hotels with one loyalty account. If your credit card gives you Elite status, your status will be recognized across all our hotels. If you have an SPG credit card, the rate at which you earn points will change. For more specific details on how your card benefits will change in August, click here.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
Looks like only 1 room will earn elite credit moving forward!

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....323.1428926485
I had a feeling. I used the 3 elite nights for staying and paying for 3 rooms at a time a LOT. That’s how I reached 103 nights already this year. But I can’t say I’m surprised. It hurts, but that’s the way it goes. Marriott likely did the math and figures it won’t lose that much business (if at all) from that change (from SPG). I had hoped they might offer a compromise of earning up to 2 elite nights for staying and paying for 2 rooms at a time, but it wasn’t in the cards. At least, not yet.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:00 pm

Sorry - I hope this was not asked before:

Two of my Amex SPG cards have AF dropping now, will they give me a free anniversary night for this year with the AF, or only NEXT year. So, I would have to pay the AF and get no anniversary night??

Also, will the basic Marriott card that exists today (I have the Biz flavor) give me 15 nights next year? If so, then I would keep that card when its AF comes up again next year.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:25 pm

Yes, there's an error in the analysis.

Linked status goes away when the programs are combined in August. Only earned Marriott Rewards Gold Elite (earned by achieving 50 elite nights) becomes Platinum Elite in August.

SPG Gold Preferred Guest becomes Gold Elite in August.

There are more details in my post a few posts above this reply.
From reading at tpg and one miles at a time, it seems that you don't have to earned 50 elite points to convert into Platinum Elite

If you are Marriot Gold due to your linked account with SPG, you will automatically become Marriott Plat Elite August 1st.

Last edited by metoo; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Yes! For Platinum Elite (and higher), according to https://members.marriott.com/faq/ (bold and red text to highlight text from the FAQ):

Is complimentary breakfast available for Platinum Elite members?

After 50 nights across the portfolio, members will achieve Platinum Elite status. As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option. A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and resorts. Brands that are currently offering lounge access will continue to offer complimentary breakfast as part of the lounge offering.

Resorts are excluded from lounge access, which is a separately listed benefit.

Not sure if it matters since we have breakfasts. The quality of lounges at resorts vary wildly. For example, the Westin PVR has a lounge that they use which is a fairly basic lounge with slightly lower quality than what you would find at a typical Marriott. Hardly worth paying for. In contrast, I understand the Marriott Cancun has a "Club 91" lounge and know the JW Marriott at Cabo has an excellent Griffin Club. The Griffin Club, at least, is significantly above a US lounge and I wouldn't expect that as a regular benefit unless I'n staying in the Griffin Club or paying for it. Its more like a RC Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.