Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by docr775
"A maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be awarded per Marriott Loyalty Program member even if the Marriott Loyalty Program member has more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card account or is a member of more than one Marriott Loyalty Program."

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards

So no matter how many cards we have, it will be capped at 15 nights.
I'm hoping that that quote was issued directed at people with multiple cards. Otherwise, they'd be taking away a large incentive for people to spend much on the card.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think I've qualified too. I'm interested to see what, if any difference, ambassador makes. I don't care about a slice of cake or a fruit plate in my room. Bathrobe and slippers in every room is something I would want. I would also want individual bottles of toiletries. A bottle of champagne every now and again would also be appreciated, especially when I redeem points for my yearly week in London and yearly week in Paris.

I would like to see the new terms and conditions clearly define the upgrade order with platinum premier ambassador taking a codified precedence over platinum premier and platinum premier clearly given a codified precedence over platinum.

I actually wonder if the ambassador service is all smoke and mirrors in that many people don't really use it. It's like credit cards that offer concierges. I don't know anyone who has ever used it. I suspect that many high-rollers have a travel agent or manager, executive assistant, or junior staffer who helps with their air travel and hotel reservations. Regardless, I also suspect that in many cases it's just easier to make a booking yourself and then just let the ambassador know you have a special request for that upcoming stay.
Congrats if you did, indeed, qualify!

Your preferences seem pretty appropriate and reasonable to me! Your suggested preferences are exactly what you can and should share as priorities with your Ambassador. Your Ambassador then can share those with the hotels at which you stay. My priorities differ from yours, and my Ambassador knows that.

Of course, it’s up to the hotels to execute the Ambassador requests for us, and some hotels execute better than others. Most hotels do get it right...but then some others miss the mark. That tends to be more about a failed execution on the hotel’s part. But it also can be from an Ambassador who isn’t as proactive or effective as others.

Your Ambassador knowing more about what you want and expect will help. Your Ambassador knowing when you are disappointed is also helpful. They can’t try to fix what they don’t know isn’t working for you.

It’s also possible to ask for a new Ambassador if you really find yours isn’t getting things done as you expect (and your expectations aren’t unreasonable).

I also tend tend to book my own reservations and then let my Ambassador know only when I have special requests or special occasion stays where I’m really hoping for a great upgrade or something unusual. I also copy my Ambassador whenever I’m contacting a hotel so she is aware what’s up and what I’m working to get. Sometimes she is able to help in the background without me ever being the wiser. I think we may be similar in that approach, actually.
hockeyinsider and txpenny like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dingjie
Good news! Marriott Gold will be Marriott Platinum this August!
The article doesn't quite add up with what David Flueuk said in his interview on TPG earlier. Basically if you've earned Marriott Gold from staying 50 nights then you'll go to Platinum in August. If you've earned it through being matched to SPG Gold through the Amex Platinum then you'll stay at Gold. Annoying for me as I've got Marriott Gold through matching to my SPG card, have made a few bookings at Marriotts for December and January presuming I'd get lounge access and free breakfast as my gold status doesn't expire until February. Alas it seems that this isn't the case unless Marriott makes an exception and honours benefits for existing bookings :-(
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Getting some conflicting info. Will keep it simple. Have Marriott Gold & SPG Gold. Under the revised plan am I correct in assuming that it becomes Marriott Platinum?
Is one of those earned and the other linked? Linked status is only in effect while there are still separate programs.

If SPG status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/spg/ and you'll see that Gold Preferred Guest today becomes Gold Elite in August.

If Marriott Rewards status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/ and you'll see that Gold Elite today becomes Platinum Elite in August.

It makes sense that the two are different. Marriott Rewards Gold Elite requires 50 nights, just like Platinum Elite in the combined program.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:21 am
Company Representative, Marriott Rewards

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Thanks for joining the conversation. I can only imagine how many enquiries you have at the moment. I hope that the terms and conditions will be unveiled soon as so many of these questions could be answered by the terms, like:

1) Is the new "breakfast offering" conditioned beyond the exemption for Ritz-Carlton, Design, Edition, Vacation Club and Executive Apartments?
2) Is "breakfast" defined so a property can't claim toast, coffee and juice is breakfast?
3) Is there a clearly defined order for upgrades? In word others, platinum premier ambassadors take precedence over platinum premiers and platinums and platinum premiers takes precedence over platinums for upgrades.
4) Is Rewarding Events staying as-is?
5) What is the policy on resort fees that charge for benefits (like internet access) that are supposed to be complimentary for elites? Will elites get a resort fee waiver or, at the least, a resort fee discount to compensate?
6) Can you fix the US version of the Marriott website? It doesn't recognize anyone with the current Rewards platinum premier status. Marriott UK, Marriott Japan and other versions of the website recognize platinum premier status. It's a HTML coding error.
7) If a St. Regis has a club lounge do platinum, platinum premier and platinum premier ambassadors get access?
Thanks to everyone for giving us your first impressions on the upcoming single loyalty program. You can all be assured that your comments have been passed along to the loyalty team. We will endeavor to catch up to some specific questions as we are able to do so. In the meantime, members.marriott.com will be your best source of information for the time being.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm hoping that that quote was issued directed at people with multiple cards. Otherwise, they'd be taking away a large incentive for people to spend much on the card.
I suppose the loophole to the 15-night limitation on Chase-issued cards is that the new American Express-issued premium card comes with 50 nights and platinum status, if you spend $75,000.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
The article doesn't quite add up with what David Flueuk said in his interview on TPG earlier.
Frankly, nothing but the terms and conditions actually matter. Especially with so many asterisks on the chart of benefits.
itsallgood likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:30 am

I am currently Hhonors Diamond (only takes 30 stays) but am thinking of switching to Marriott. I have SPG/Marriott Gold through AMEX Plat. I can probably make it to 35 nights next year in order to make Marriott Plat in 2020, if I get one of the 15 night credit cards.

So, it seems that a reasonable strategy is:
Now-July (stay in Hilton, where my Diamond is worth more than Marriott Gold)
August-December (stay wherever, as I'll have Marriott Plat)
2019 Suffer through a year of Marriott Gold in order to make it to Plat late 2019/2020

Unless the devaluation hits hard, it just seems that 15 marriott points per $ is worth much more than 20 Honors points per $. The Honors points are worth 8 cents, while 15 Marriott points gets me 6.25 miles, or about 10 cents of value at hotels (unless there's devaluation).

Am I off on my analysis?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
Is one of those earned and the other linked? Linked status is only in effect while there are still separate programs.

If SPG status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/spg/ and you'll see that Gold Preferred Guest today becomes Gold Elite in August.

If Marriott Rewards status was earned, go to https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/ and you'll see that Gold Elite today becomes Platinum Elite in August.

It makes sense that the two are different. Marriott Rewards Gold Elite requires 50 nights, just like Platinum Elite in the combined program.
What you say makes sense and I can see why they've done it. It would perhaps have been better to let status year ends before moving people. My Marriott Gold status matched from SPG expires at the end of Feb. Briefly allowing me to keep my current Marriott status benefits until my card expires at end of Feb would seem fairer to me. I've got a few Marriott stays booked on the assumption I would have late checkout and lounge access etc. I'll be cancelling them if it does turn out that I will no longer have the benefits, not in a fit of pique but because losing the late check out and other benefits on those bookings makes them less valuable and I've got other options.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cooperhs
I am currently Hhonors Diamond (only takes 30 stays) but am thinking of switching to Marriott. I have SPG/Marriott Gold through AMEX Plat. I can probably make it to 35 nights next year in order to make Marriott Plat in 2020, if I get one of the 15 night credit cards.

So, it seems that a reasonable strategy is:
Now-July (stay in Hilton, where my Diamond is worth more than Marriott Gold)
August-December (stay wherever, as I'll have Marriott Plat)
2019 Suffer through a year of Marriott Gold in order to make it to Plat late 2019/2020

Unless the devaluation hits hard, it just seems that 15 marriott points per $ is worth much more than 20 Honors points per $. The Honors points are worth 8 cents, while 15 Marriott points gets me 6.25 miles, or about 10 cents of value at hotels (unless there's devaluation).

Am I off on my analysis?
Yes, there's an error in the analysis.

Linked status goes away when the programs are combined in August. Only earned Marriott Rewards Gold Elite (earned by achieving 50 elite nights) becomes Platinum Elite in August.

SPG Gold Preferred Guest becomes Gold Elite in August.

There are more details in my post a few posts above this reply.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
For once, I actually learned about the changes via the email announcements, rather than via FT.

Overall, I feel that Marriott have threaded the needle better than I expected,

Platinum is the “new gold”; but it was always thus in the SPG world. (50/75/100)

PP with ambassador, I’m not convinced it’s worth the effort; which ought to be a good thing

Marriott are saying what hotels in Vegas have done for many years - we treat whales better.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I, for one, will be looking forward to my lifetime Silver Status in the new program. I have the five years, and I just made the 250 nights, but I would likely have never gotten close in points.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wickersley
PP with ambassador, I’m not convinced it’s worth the effort; which ought to be a good thing

Until I see terms and conditions, I'm not entirely convinced that anything above platinum is worth it, especially if you're on spending your own money. Among other things, I want to see how the upgrades are conditioned and whether there is an order of precedence to ensure platinum premiers or platinum premier ambassadors get priority over a platinum for an upgrade. I also want to see how the "breakfast offering" (Marriott's words) is conditioned.

I don't think it is all doom-and-gloom for gold. Upgrades are going to be difficult to come by, particularly in big cities and at resorts. Plus, there are so many plain vanilla Sheraton, flagship Marriott, Westin, Delta and Renaissance properties with limited or no suites. And then the suites they do have often are nothing to write home about.

If you're paying cash there are often member rates with lounge access or breakfast in the restaurant for a nominal amount. For many people being a free agent with gold or platinum status could be a better value.

If I do, in fact, have platinum premier ambassador after August and it turns out to be nothing much between then and January 2019 then I may not care about pursuing it in the future. I should have lifetime platinum premier status if all goes well, so I could just become a free agent. As I said, so much depends on terms and conditions, which Marriott has not released.

The problem is there isn't much competition. IHG is worthless, Hilton is devalued and Radisson/Club Carlson is only a consideration in some parts of Europe. Hyatt is the only one that could compete with Marriott International, notwithstanding its small footprint.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:55 am

@Marriott Rewards Insider

Why merge three programs into "one powerful program" (new name to be announced later) but card offerings for 3 distinct brands (Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG) none of which is the new TBA powerful program? A tad confusing.

ETA: also is spg.com and spg number going away?

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:56 am

Horace, thanks for your response, although your opinion seems to be in the minority. I am Marriott Gold. I am also SPG Gold. One links to new Plat, one links to new Gold. Where does it say that "Only earned MR Gold Elite become Plat Elite in August?" I don't see any asterisks on the Marriott chart that says I become Plat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.