Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dank0014
After reading their page, i see they state Platinum in August will become Platinum premier. It then states those with 100 nights and $20k spend with become PP with ambassador.

what do the current Platinum Premiers become then?
I think one of the big questions that remains is whether Marriott will have unpublished statuses or sub-statuses with the new, unified program. Platinum premier and platinum five-star are currently unpublished. Platinum five-star is basically, depending on reports, for Marriott corporate board members, ex-board members, friends of Marriott and maybe some top-dollar customers. `

Marriott's poor naming convention -- platinum, platinum premier, platinum premier ambassador -- doesn't make it any easier. Do you think a front desk clerk or assistant duty manager is going to know the difference, especially if there's a complaint about upgrades?

As I've said elsewhere, someone can be a platinum premier and someone else can be a platinum with premier, the difference being a platinum with premier is someone with platinum status who holds the Marriott premier credit card. And yes, it does show up in the system whether you hold the credit card. It's inevitable that folks will insist they're "platinum premier" when they're only platinum with premier.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Different levels that have the same "platinum" title has been one of my gripes as well. (In another thread I recently offered to send Marriott a thesaurus.) After talking to a front desk about this last week, I now believe the FDCs are just as frustrated by the multiple levels of platinum as we are.
Marriott should have just called the levels silver, gold, platinum, premier, and ambassador.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Where do you find your qualifying spend?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hnewman
Where do you find your qualifying spend?
I read an interview with a Marriott executive that it will show up on Marriott.com beginning in August.

I wish Marriott would publish the new terms and conditions so everyone could see what qualifies as spending. Since Marriott made a big deal about all on-property spending, including incidentals, counting for points I suspect it may be a commonsense qualified spending definition. After all, if you're going to make room service charges eligible for points it's difficult to say those charges shouldn't then count toward the $20,000 threshold.

What's potentially concerning is that Marriott could raise the $20,000 threshold every year or two.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I read an interview with a Marriott executive that it will show up on Marriott.com beginning in August.

I wish Marriott would publish the new terms and conditions so everyone could see what qualifies as spending. Since Marriott made a big deal about all on-property spending, including incidentals, counting for points I suspect it may be a commonsense qualified spending definition. After all, if you're going to make room service charges eligible for points it's difficult to say those charges shouldn't then count toward the $20,000 threshold.

What's potentially concerning is that Marriott could raise the $20,000 threshold every year or two.
Given Marriott's stellar IT department I would ask August of what year? :-) Anyway thanks for the update.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If a hotel brand is going to participate in the program then it should have to comply with all of the benefits. If you're going to give a property an opt-out on breakfast, which frankly makes no sense because Marriott International manages most or all Ritz-Carlton properties (you'd think Marriott could force itself to comply), then where does it stop? It's much easier for a high-end property that gets an exemption from breakfast to also thumb their nose at upgrades, which they will be required to provide, unless the new terms and conditions exempt them.

Ritz-Carlton, Edition and Design might as well join Bulgari and be exempt from whatever the new, unified program is called.
Sometimes I get the impression Ritz doesn’t want regular MR members staying at Ritz. They want to be special.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:22 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
I will qualify for MR LTG next month, which I understand will become LTP in the new program. I can not go higher than LTP in the new program.

My question is about a credit card strategy:

I currently have all four credit cards:
1) MR Personal Visa
2) MR Business Visa
3) SPG Amex Personal
4) SPG Amex Business

Since the 15 night annual bonus seems to be limited to one per account, I am wondering which card to keep, and which ones to cancel. Would appreciate suggestions based on the information available so far.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BarryL

Sometimes I get the impression Ritz doesn’t want regular MR members staying at Ritz. They want to be special.

I stopped staying at Ritz-Carlton a while ago because I think the best J.W. Marriott hotels are as good as most Ritz-Carlton properties. Plus, the J.W. Marriott looks better on expense reports.

Now that the St. Regis and Luxury Collection brands are included on more favorable terms than Ritz-Carlton I'll go to those properties before I stay at a Ritz-Carlton.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Of course it doesn’t. RC owners don’t want the hordes of MR members spending their CY and FI hard-won points at their properties, mingling with $500/night revenue guests.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:59 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
Of course it doesn’t. RC owners don’t want the hordes of MR members spending their CY and FI hard-won points at their properties, mingling with $500/night revenue guests.
[Moderator edit: I removed the characterization as "total bunk." Can't you just say something reasonably polite, like "I disagree"? Play nice, please.] SPG’s St Regis owners have always had plenty of midscale hotel point earners from Element, Four Points, Aloft, and even Sheraton still being able to stay at St Regis properties. They mingle just fine. It’s more of an aspirational award for most, but they are welcome like everyone else.

Your comments come from people who probably have never stayed at a RC or St Regis and don’t know what theyre talking about. That’s envy and resentment talking, not reality.

And in case anyone missed it, the St Regis properties tend to be more highly rated in most markets with both StR and RC. In fact, St Regis properties usually are the ones that tend to rate near or better than Four Seasons when in the same markets. Clearly, St Regis having mingling guests from less pricey properties hasn’t bothered the St Regis. It shouldn’t bother the RC, either.

Last edited by bdschobel; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:09 am Reason: removed unnecessary condescension
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
We should remember that actually everyone has his Gold SPG automatically matched to a Gold Marriott Rewards, except for those who are not member of Rewards.
So, if everyone is also Marriott Gold (as per status match T&C), technically everyone will be Plat in the new programme, and no Golds will exist.
This is from a legal point of view.
And the Marriott VP never said what is being attributed to him. The VP made the first statement. Bob interpreted that to mean the status match counted, which is in italics but that is not clear in the quote box. The VP never said the new level would be based on status match level from SPG to Marriott, and as you state, that would make no sense.

I have not seen people work so hard to keep their heads in the sand, to avoid the truth, since I told my parents I am gay. If you earned SPG Gold status you were able to status match and be treated as a Marriott Gold when staying at Marriott, but you are still and SPG Gold with a status match. not a Marriott Gold.

Why would Marriott have matched SPG Gold to new Gold if they intended for present SPG Golds to be considered Marriott Gold from status match thus being new Plat? The assumption the PTB at Marriott are that unaware of their own program is hard to swallow.
bennos likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:13 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

lol
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bhrubin

SPG’s St Regis owners have always had plenty of midscale hotel point earners from Element, Four Points, Aloft, and even Sheraton still being able to stay at St Regis properties. They mingle just fine. It’s more of an aspirational award for most, but they are welcome like everyone else.

Your comments come from people who probably have never stayed at a RC or St Regis and don’t know what theyre talking about. That’s envy and resentment talking, not reality.

And in case anyone missed it, the St Regis properties tend to be more highly rated in most markets with both StR and RC. In fact, St Regis properties usually are the ones that tend to rate near or better than Four Seasons when in the same markets. Clearly, St Regis having mingling guests from less pricey properties hasn’t bothered the St Regis. It shouldn’t bother the RC, either

Can we please permanently retire the unwarranted condescension? They assumption that people who choose to stay at whatever property are the unwashed masses who could "be able" to stay at St Regis makes an assumption that someone who pays more for hotel rooms is richer. The richest man I knew (built the library at one of the largest universities on the planet, named after him, among other things) always stayed at CYs and explained he was rich because he was not "foolish" with money. The idea that there are "envy and resentment" implies people care about those paying more for a hotel room,, which is not likely the case. The idea that someone who is superior enough to stay in an SR would have to "mingle" with those who often pay less for hotel that meets their needs for that stay is hysterical.

For the record, I think Marriott made a mistake by not granting LTPP to Starwood LTPs who had more than 750 nights. The silver lining though is that after months of hearing that SPG members are smarter, prettier, richer and more desirable than the Marriott scum we now know that Marriott, which has the data, obviously does not agree.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Last edited by bdschobel; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:10 am Reason: edited quote only
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black

they must have really hate me during my stay at RC CGK then, since almost a third of the points I used (9k) came from replying marriott on twitter
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:23 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Can we please permanently retire the unwarranted condescension? They assumption that people who choose to stay at whatever property are the unwashed masses who could "be able" to stay at St Regis makes an assumption that someone who pays more for hotel rooms is richer. The richest man I knew (built the library at one of the largest universities on the planet, named after him, among other things) always stayed at CYs and explained he was rich because he was not "foolish" with money. The idea that there are "envy and resentment" implies people care about those paying more for a hotel room,, which is not likely the case. The idea that someone who is superior enough to stay in an SR would have to "mingle" with those who often pay less for hotel that meets their needs for that stay is hysterical.

For the record, I think Marriott made a mistake by not granting LTPP to Starwood LTPs who had more than 750 nights. The silver lining though is that after months of hearing that SPG members are smarter, prettier, richer and more desirable than the Marriott scum we now know that Marriott, which has the data, obviously does not agree.
I think you’re throwing the condescension charge to the wrong person! I’m the guy arguing that it’s perfectly fine for people who stay most often at less expensive hotels to stay at a StR or RC. I’m the guy arguing that any presumption that RC owners don’t want “others” or “less wealthy” staying at RC properties is bunk, since SPG has for years had plenty of those same types of customers who normally stay at less expensive hotels also use awards to splurge and stay at St Regis and Luxury Collection hotels without any issue—and they offer free breakfast if they had Plat status, too.

I’m someone who can afford to stay at StR and RC properties...and I think it’s great that points allow people who otherwise might not be able to afford such properties to enjoy them, too! We might be able to afford those hotels, but we also use points to get maximum value for our dollar—just like everyone else!

Otherwise. I’m afraid that it is more likely that one who stays more often at such expensive properties is more likely to be wealthier/more affluent. Not sure what that has to do with the current discussion, though—but you’re jumping on that as it isn’t true. It isn’t always true, of course...but it usually is going to be true. You know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.