Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by northernstar84
A question:

In August I will be SPG Gold and Mariott Gold (through linking accounts)

What will be my new status in August Platinum or Gold ? How long will the status be vaild (My SPG Gold is to 02/2020) ?

Thanks
As I understand it, the EARNED status is what is matched, so the linked one doesn't count. But I haven't seen that officially, just was mentioned in one of the gazillion opinion posts.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by CPRich

Yes, I did.
How will multiple rooms booked at the same time be treated under the combined program with respect to night status? Will only one room be counted for nights status or up-to-three?
OliverB likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by sillysailor

How will multiple rooms booked at the same time be treated under the combined program with respect to night status? Will only one room be counted for nights status or up-to-three?

This to me is the key question. Unfortunately I'm travelling so am not able to get to the London ambassador launch party tonight and ask. Does anyone know the answer to it?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by afurlong
In another thread somewhere here on FT (sorry, I lost the post/tab in catching up on all of today's news!) someone fairly emphatically confirmed your statement - that if your status comes via Amex Platinum, you will have Gold on 08/01.
I've certainly seen no 'emphatic' confirmation so far, just a bunch of guesses (including my own) based on what appears to make sense. Until I see someone like the Starwood Lurker post about this, or see a note on the website, I'd consider the issue unresolved.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I didn't see this question answered, so apologies if it's a repeat:

I previously converted SPG points to Marriott. These do NOT show up as counting towards lifetime status. Do we know if following the merger, both new points in, and old points previously transferred will count towards lifetime?

Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
I have tried to get clarity from my Ambassador but I believe I got this right.
If I am Lifetime Platinum in Marriott with 750 Nights and 2M points, I get Lifetime Platinum Premier in the new combined program.
If I am Lifetime Platinum in SPG with 1600 nights and way in excess of 2M points equivalent, I get lifetime Platinum.

Do I get this right? Why would Marriott want to piss off the faithful long time SPG lifetime plats?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:54 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Sorry if a dumb question - but is there a way to tell from the Marriott website how many years a person has been Gold (in current program) to check on Lifetime Platinum (new program) status accumulation?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Those who were able to manufacture status before cannot do so as easily now--and I'm sorry for them,. But they aren't paying as much as others, and those who pay more are the ones who the program should most reward. The new program seems to do that. The Hilton program doesn't even come close.

The new Marriott program isn't perfect..but it's pretty good so far.
This is one of the key changes here to me, whilst in the old Marriott programme the stated requirements seemed high compared to SPG, given the much larger Marriott portfolio and also multiple ways of earning elite nights / status without actually staying in hotels I think it was probably just as easy, if not easier, for a US resident to make Marriott Platinum than SPG Platinum. The new programme has, IMO, taken a fairly sensible approach by reducing the nights required to earn Platinum status but also reducing the number of 'backdoor' ways of doing this, which I'm sure were great if you lived in the US but basically made the Marriott programme relatively unattractive to anyone based outside of the US. I imagine the new combined programme will have more appeal in Europe / APAC than the old Marriott Rewards did.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Not sure how you can compare Hilton’s massive and constant devaluations with few increased benefits with the new loyalty program for Marriott.

Hilton’s devaluation from 5 years ago was so big that even this slight devaluation of Marriott points doesn’t even come close. Lame Hilton hotels routinely cost more than 100,000 points/night and have for years. Marriott’s top StR, RC, and LuxColl hotels usually wont even cost that many points!

Hilton just offered breakfast at its top Conrad and WA brands. Marriott has StR, W, and LuxColl hotels which have been doing that all along since 2012.

Hilton doesn’t guarantee suite upgrades despite all that, even now. Marriott finally with its new program will offer suite upgrades to Platinums, something its SPG hotels have been doing all along.

Hilton sucks. Marriott doesn’t. Marriott has many enhancements BECAUSE it wants to appeal to the SPG elites like me—that’s how Marriott got guaranteed 4 pm late checkout in the first place. Marriott has many more enhancements now. Suite upgrades. Airline transfers without worrying about lame hotel awards. Up to 4 pm late checkout. Your24 and Ambassador perks.

Marriott also has the most aspirational group of hotels in the world, combining StR, RC, LuxColl, and even a few Design Hotels. Hilton doesn’t come close.

Case closed.
The Marriott aping is just beginning with this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
not sure about the original Marriott situation but for SPG we are able to earn points from dining, without being a hotel in-house guest, at SPG hotel restaurants. from the current wording of the combined program, it seems like we will only be able to earn points when charged to room in the future? thanks
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm not sure if this has already been asked. Will the new combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz Carlton program continue to offer the Look No Further - Best Rate Guarantee?
I haven't seen anything or heard anything...
Thanks.

Newman

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: Fixed Signature to fit FT guidelines.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I’m shocked at how many Marriott apologists post in this forum. The main unanswered question is: How will all 6500 properties be reclassified under the new category system.

I’m not sure why so many of you assume Marriott will leave most properties unchanged, but if past is prologue, most properties will cost more. I do not give Marriott the benefit of the doubt. I believe they will widely devalue most of their properties, especially on the high end.

Time will tell, but I am surprised how many of y’all give Marriott the benefit of the doubt.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

So what’s the problem?
If a hotel brand is going to participate in the program then it should have to comply with all of the benefits. If you're going to give a property an opt-out on breakfast, which frankly makes no sense because Marriott International manages most or all Ritz-Carlton properties (you'd think Marriott could force itself to comply), then where does it stop? It's much easier for a high-end property that gets an exemption from breakfast to also thumb their nose at upgrades, which they will be required to provide, unless the new terms and conditions exempt them.

Ritz-Carlton, Edition and Design might as well join Bulgari and be exempt from whatever the new, unified program is called.

Of course, they won't do that because all three hotels, while sticking it to top-level elites, still depend on the room nights that legacy Rewards and legacy SPG customers give them.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by JW6130

The popular Caribbean properties that are sitting at 40-45k for a dumpster/limited dumpster view currently will go to 50k minimum. That is a devaluation. That's on top of the cash and points fees implemented in the past few years if you want a partial ocean view, and resort fees at some locations.
What Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico properties aren't charging a resort fee? Heck, even city hotels in New York now charge it. The Sheraton in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, even had a "housekeeping fee" when I stayed there in 2017.

It would be different if you got something for these fees. But often the tangible benefits like internet access are already provided because of elite status. Marriott could have eliminated resort fees for platinum premier ambassador. Or provided lounge access at resort-designated properties with proprietary lounges.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I've certainly seen no 'emphatic' confirmation so far, just a bunch of guesses (including my own) based on what appears to make sense. Until I see someone like the Starwood Lurker post about this, or see a note on the website, I'd consider the issue unresolved.
I also haven't seen anything definitive on this yet, but logically if Marriott Gold received via matched SPG Gold status from credit cards becomes Platinum for six months, that could also mean that Marriott Platinum via matched SPG Platinum will become Platinum Premier for six months. What a weird situation if so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.