Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I hit 101 nights for the year combined between the programs today. I have almost 3000 lifetime nights so I'll be grandfathered in at a LT PP.

I suppose at this point there's no harm in being program agnostic (recognizing there are currently some differences in benefits at particular hotels between the programs), right?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm guessing only active 50/75 nighters each year will get the certificates...since this is modeled after the SPG SNA benefit, SPG LT Plats never got them (had to actually stay 50 nights)
That is the crux of the question. I generally have >60 BIB nights per year, > 75 with rewards stays included, and > 100 including the credit card nights. I haven't had time to totally digest the new rules yet to see if credit card nights still count.

--Jon
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ceber
Is it just me? the way I read this, my million points with starwood are worth a whole lot less after this merger? transfer to airline prior?

thoughts?
I think you are incorrect. As are others who have done the math and projected categories.

What make you think you lost value? Especially when no one has any idea what category any properties will be?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VisaW
I think anyone who doesn't see the massive impending devaluation in redemptions is blind. Does anyone really believe that the highest level Marriott properties (think JWs in New York City) that are currently 45,000 won't jump to 70,000 off-peak?
Just like everyone "knew" that promises about lifetime statuses being honored would be broken with this horrible terrible (unannounced) program and started seeking class action layers.

And no, I don't think 45K JW's in NYC will go to 70K off-peak.

Originally Posted by rylan
Sure looks like a significant point devaluation with the merging... and after we just went through the annual hotel cat changes also.
How many properties went up significantly? I must have missed the list. Please provide a link.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:09 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is absolute death for me. I've got 402 nights at Marriott properties in the past three years. I could hit LT Plat in three more years under the old rules, and may never hit it now as my travel will dry up at the end of 2020. But I realize my travel is somewhat unique.
I'm 50 nights short of lifetime platinum, which as I understand it will be lifetime platinum premier. However, I already have lifetime gold, which I believe will transfer as lifetime platinum.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I think anyone who doesn't see the massive impending devaluation in redemptions is blind. Does anyone really believe that the highest level Marriott properties (think JWs in New York City) that are currently 45,000 won't jump to 70,000 off-peak? And does anyone really believe that there will be more than a handful of off-peak nights in any major metropolitan area? Come on. We'll be paying "Peak" pricing nearly year-round.

And remember the category changes Marriott announces every year? Remember how, like, 90% of the properties move up in category and only a few drop down? Does anyone really believe that most Marriott properties will not cost more? Come on. We'll be paying higher rates up and down the board.

Precisely this.
This is how they were able to get the owners and franchisees on-board with expanded benefits. Miami, San Francisco, New York, Paris, London, Rome, the Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, Hawaii, the South Pacific -- all of the Ritz-Carlton, J.W. Marriott, St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Edition, and Design hotels in those markets will be category 7 or category 8. Probably a good number of Marriott, Westin, Autograph Collection and Renaissance properties as well.

Better get used to Paris in the second or third weeks of January for any savings.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The only carrot I see in the new program are the guaranteed suite upgrades (assuming they function like SPGs currently do).
Don't get overly excited about the equivalent of SPG SNA's. They don't even apply until 5 days before a stay. I used 0 last year and 1 so far this year.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I will confess I haven't read through every post here. But I'm confused on my lifetime status situation.

I'm currently at 500 nights and >7 years as Marriott Gold. Currently I'm Platinum.

But for the new program, will I automatically qualify for LT status? If so, it looks like I would be the new Gold. However, under the new scheme, >50 nights is Platinum. So if I had 600 nights, and >10 years with 50+ nights, would I be LT Platinum? I guess I'm confused on if they're using the metal status or the # of nights to count past status years.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
Does LT Plat Premier (grand farthered from Lt Plat) get the 5 suite upgrades?
You get these when you earn them, at 50 and 75 nights each year (assuming it's the same as SPG SNAs). You won't "get" them just by a status match.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm 50 nights short of lifetime platinum, which as I understand it will be lifetime platinum premier. However, I already have lifetime gold, which I believe will transfer as lifetime platinum.
Can you at least complete the remaining 50 nights through meetings? It will be a shame to miss out on the LTPPE, which will only be grandfathered once.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alchemista
That would be fair if Marriott would give us 3x MR for each SPG, but I see nothing to say that.

So before our SPG get devalued by 1/3, I'm also looking for good ideas to burn them.
You haven't looked too hard. 3:1 conversion was announced long ago and was re-confirmed today.

I'd be glad to exchange your "devalued" SPG's for MRs. Heck, I'll even give you 2:1.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
It never ceases to amaze me how cheapo hotel executives are with their highest revenue customers. No breakfast at resorts or RC - supposedly will be included for St. Regis but would not hold my breath. So basically if you want breakfast when you go on that once-a-year vacation you better take your family to a Fairfield or Courtyard.
What amazes me is Marriott puts in a revenue requirement for its new top-level, platinum premier ambassador. So, you'd think for $20,000-plus per year in spend that Marriott could afford to provide a croissant, coffee or tea, juice, oatmeal, yogurt parfait, and an omelette for five mornings.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
So if I am currently marriott gold, but have that status from being plat and then getting a soft landing to gold where I did not qualify on stays last year will I be stuck at gold come august or will they bump me up to plat until the end of 2018?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Can you at least complete the remaining 50 nights through meetings? It will be a shame to miss out on the LTPPE, which will only be grandfathered once.
I have two signed event contracts for after August 1. That's 20 nights, if Marriott honors it. I'm in negotiations for two events in June/July. That's 40 nights. I have 12 nights at Westin hotels in mid-August.

I have a 5-night road trip in May that I unfortunately have to spend at independent hotels. I'm trying to schedule 4-5 nights around that trip at Marriott properties. That would give me 45-46 nights.

I should hit 50 nights, but it could be close. I lost a couple clients this year so my travel is way down.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu
So... your talking about being a "highest revenue customer" and staying at St Regis' and Ritz Carlton... but on vacation with your family your choice of accommodations will be based on free breakfast? Seriously?!

Aye carumba....

Regards
I think you are twisting what he said just to have a dig at him. He didn't say he would not stay at a RC or resort since there was no free breakfast, he just said that he was disappointed that to avail of the free breakfast benefit he would have to stay at one of the lesser brands.

Your attitude is not much different to saying something like: "you can afford to stay at a hotel 25 or 35 or 50 nights a year(or have a job that pays for you to do so) so why would you need status and the free benefits that come with it?". Answer: everyone likes loyalty benefits, it is a large part of why this forum exists.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.