Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Originally Posted by pinniped
My questions:

- What is the last date on which to redeem an award under today's rules? (Specifically, a Category 5 Travel Package.)
- What happens to certificates sitting in our account, unattached to a hotel stay, that have an existing Marriott Category on them? Examples include the annual CC certs, Megabonus certs, and unused Travel Package certs. If these certs have an expiration date beyond August, what categories can they be redeemed for?
- When we pull the trigger on our final Travel Package, will we be able to extend it an extra year in 2019, redeeming it in 2020? Or is that option dead as the TP's are retired for good?
These are my exact questions as well. Anyone know?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:30 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
So those who stay 100+ nights with SPG but spend below $20k: we keep AMB in 2019 and have to push spend to $20k during 2019 in order to keep AMB in 2020? Or the $20k spend is effective in 2018 so we now have 8 months left to increase spend if we want to keep AMB in 2019?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Singapore Airlines Gold and a bunch of others
Has anyone been able to see what the 40+ airline transfer partners will be? I just see the numbers, but, can’t see the list.
Also it appears that if you get both the Visa and the Amex cards you still only get 15 nights credit (not 30), is that right?Lastly, no foreign waiver for the ambassador minimum spend. That sucks for south east Asia. My corporate rate at the Ritz Carleton in Kuala Lumpur last week was $116 USD (including breakfast for 1)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Figured we'd get a $450 card. This one stacks up pretty favorably to both Citi Prestige and Hilton Aspire (IMHO) and is significantly better than most of the premium airline cards. Also looks a smidge better than the Ritz card *unless* you actually do your share of paid Ritz stays. Only thing I was somewhat expecting from a super-premium Amex was primary rental car insurance, which isn't mentioned. But at least this card's $300 credit is super-easy to claim for anyone who stays at hotels and the annual award covers significantly better hotels than today's Marriott Visa certificate.
I disagree. The Aspire provides a $250 airline incidental credit (easy to use) and a $200 resort credit, AND its status includes breakfast and lounge access. Starwood offering seems paltry in comparison.

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Nobody AFAIK has yet provided a definitive answer to whether those who have Gold via Amex Plat will have Gold or Platinum on August 1st (since they are simultaneously Gold Preferred Guest and Marriott Gold Elite). My guess is that they could still get Platinum till year end but 99.99% certain that they will be Gold in 2019.
There was a NYTimes article linked in another thread that said Amex Plat cardholders would receive gold in the new program.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAL123
It's my understanding that it will convert to Marriott Gold. Under the new program current SPG Gold becomes Marriott Gold. Current Marriott Gold becomes Platinum. I don't think that they will use your current Marriott Gold status since the status was only obtained because of status matching. I think they will look at your SPG Gold status. Just a guess though. FYI... I'm in the same boat and was hoping that we could at least keep the current Marriott Gold benefits through the end of the year.
In another thread somewhere here on FT (sorry, I lost the post/tab in catching up on all of today's news!) someone fairly emphatically confirmed your statement - that if your status comes via Amex Platinum, you will have Gold on 08/01.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hilton’s program has been the most devalued major hotel program in the FT era, and here we have Marriott aping Hilton. Not good for consumers in the main — and that’s an understatement.
Not sure how you can compare Hilton’s massive and constant devaluations with few increased benefits with the new loyalty program for Marriott.

Hilton’s devaluation from 5 years ago was so big that even this slight devaluation of Marriott points doesn’t even come close. Lame Hilton hotels routinely cost more than 100,000 points/night and have for years. Marriott’s top StR, RC, and LuxColl hotels usually wont even cost that many points!

Hilton just offered breakfast at its top Conrad and WA brands. Marriott has StR, W, and LuxColl hotels which have been doing that all along since 2012.

Hilton doesn’t guarantee suite upgrades despite all that, even now. Marriott finally with its new program will offer suite upgrades to Platinums, something its SPG hotels have been doing all along.

Hilton sucks. Marriott doesn’t. Marriott has many enhancements BECAUSE it wants to appeal to the SPG elites like me—that’s how Marriott got guaranteed 4 pm late checkout in the first place. Marriott has many more enhancements now. Suite upgrades. Airline transfers without worrying about lame hotel awards. Up to 4 pm late checkout. Your24 and Ambassador perks.

Marriott also has the most aspirational group of hotels in the world, combining StR, RC, LuxColl, and even a few Design Hotels. Hilton doesn’t come close.

Case closed.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by escape4
So those who stay 100+ nights with SPG but spend below $20k: we keep AMB in 2019 and have to push spend to $20k during 2019 in order to keep AMB in 2020? Or the $20k spend is effective in 2018 so we now have 8 months left to increase spend if we want to keep AMB in 2019?
To qualify for an Ambassador in 2018 you will need to have had $20k in spend during the qualification period, which is this year.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chutchins
These are my exact questions as well. Anyone know?
My guess is that unused certificates will be converted to points based certificates on August 1. See my earlier post here.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SLC 4217
Lastly, no foreign waiver for the ambassador minimum spend. That sucks for south east Asia. My corporate rate at the Ritz Carleton in Kuala Lumpur last week was $116 USD (including breakfast for 1)
It doesn’t suck. It’s just fair.

You are welcome to stay more or to spend more for a nicer (i.e. higher priced) room to qualify for the Ambassador status—and still you benefit from comparatively lower rates than we have in N America and Europe.

You can enjoy cheaper corporate rates...or you can stay more and spend more to enjoy Ambassador status. You just can’t do both: have your cake and eat it, too.

Those who spend more should get more. It’s pretty simple.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:44 pm

Did anyone see/hear information about premium room redemption options? This was one of the great things about SPG. Paying 32,500 points for a premium room at a category 7 property was always a no brainer over 30,000 points. I do have platinum status from a residence club ownership, but relying on an upgrade to be in a room you will like is really unappealing.

In looking at Marriott’s website, it often displays a cash co-pay option for a premium room. Were there any other options under the existing program (at SPG you had to call or chat with a rep)?

Overall, like most, I have mixed emotions. I currently hold a little over 4.5 million SPG points. I feel like they are worth as much or more under the new program since my stays are typically category 6 or 7. So these will be cheaper for a time. However, most of my points are earned with business spending so the cut in earnings on the Amex SPG is a negative. But at least they didn't take anything from me. What was previously earned still holds the same or more value. So I applaud them on this. And then it's just up to me to decide if I want to switch some spend to a cash back card or value their points at 2 per dollar spent.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
In all the years with SPG, I’ve stayed at nearly every W in the USA, which historically aren’t the strongest worldwide (because most are the oldest in the brand)—and I’ve never experienced what you describe. You can get full breakfast at most Ws now, and have been able to do so for years at almost all of them. And Westins are more of the same. Even the most basic continental breakfast guarantee since 2012 at all Starwood hotels is far more than what you describe.

Me’thinks you may be confused, remember wrongly, or suffer some form of brand mis-identification.

Ritz Clubs are a hallmark brand standard, distinct from lounges. No issue there for me, as that makes sense. I’ve never been much of a fan of lounges or Clubs, anyway.

I am surprised that Ritz Carlton and Edition won’t be offering a breakfast benefit, however. It seems such a fairly easy and obvious addition, at least even for Platinum 75 and 100 level. But the owners probably balked. So perhaps St Regis and W will be preferred by more elites looking for that breakfast benefit.
I don't think the Ritz-Carlton club lounges are that nice. Many of the Marriott and J.W. Marriott lounges in Europe and Asia were as nice, at least for breakfast and at night. I've never seen Moet champagne in a Ritz lounge, not that I've seen it in a Marriott or J.W. Marriott lounge.

As far as I know, Marriott manages most or all Ritz-Carlton properties. You would think if Marriott managed a property it would have an easier time extending the benefit. Do hotel owners actually get to veto a breakfast benefit offering, especially if it's just a "choice"?

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 16, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
To qualify for an Ambassador in 2018 you will need to have had $20k in spend during the qualification period, which is this year.
I'm still wondering how spend will be calculated/tracked and what spend will count.

1. I assume I will, at the very least, be credited for spend on the up to three rooms for which I earn points.

2. Will I be credited for spend on rooms 4 - ∞ (assuming my Marriott Rewards number is connected to all of them)?

3. Will I be credited for some percentage of spend made by guests who book into a block that I contract for an event?

4. Will I be able to receive credit for restaurant, bar, and gift shop credit that I do not charge to my room?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hts
Is there any level that will allow BOTH the welcome amenity (ie, points) AND comp breakfast, or are they all still pretty much either/or? Yes, I can eat a crap breakfast in the lounge of the FS properties I stay at (when they even offer a lounge) but that's not what I'm looking for.

Also, I didn't see any change to lounge/breakfast access at resort properties--something I was really hoping for at the top tiers (75+ nights).
You're up a creek without a paddle. Or, poop out of luck.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:51 pm

Anyone know if you can transfer points btw accounts (with same address) in new program?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
Is it just me? the way I read this, my million points with starwood are worth a whole lot less after this merger? transfer to airline prior?

thoughts?
alchemista likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.