Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Originally Posted by lexdevil
My guess is that unused certificates will be converted to points based certificates on August 1. See my earlier post here.
I would be happy to exchange my cat 1-5 free night certificates to points. As per the new redemption chart, I should be earning 35k MR points for each night cert. I would make a nice profit...hopefully they stick with that conversion.
Points-based certificated are not the same thing as actual points!

Points-based certificates will simply be certificates that say "good for any hotel that requires NN,NNN points or less" rather than "good for any hotel at category N or less".

You can tell that by looking at the credit card certificates info. They no longer say "cat 1-5", the current $85 card says "up to 25k points" hotels, while the new $95 card says "up to 35k" points hotels.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
So what will happen if I book 3 rooms in a SPG property from August this year to December this year? Do I just only get 1 room night/stay credit ?
one can still qualify as plat with 25stays in spg for nxt year but unsure how are they awarding for 3 rooms in SPG.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Does LT Plat Premier (grand farthered from Lt Plat) get the 5 suite upgrades?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Points-based certificated are not the same thing as actual points!

Points-based certificates will simply be certificates that say "good for any hotel that requires NN,NNN points or less" rather than "good for any hotel at category N or less".

You can tell that by looking at the credit card certificates info. They no longer say "cat 1-5", the current $85 card says "up to 25k points" hotels, while the new $95 card says "up to 35k" points hotels.
That's kinda lame. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The only carrot I see in the new program are the guaranteed suite upgrades (assuming they function like SPGs currently do). Otherwise a massive devaluation on the award prices for top tier properties.

It never ceases to amaze me how cheapo hotel executives are with their highest revenue customers. No breakfast at resorts or RC - supposedly will be included for St. Regis but would not hold my breath. So basically if you want breakfast when you go on that once-a-year vacation you better take your family to a Fairfield or Courtyard.
So... your talking about being a "highest revenue customer" and staying at St Regis' and Ritz Carlton... but on vacation with your family your choice of accommodations will be based on free breakfast? Seriously?!

Aye carumba....

Regards
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I'm retired, currently MR Plat with LTG underneath. I will have to wait and see how my Lifetime status is determined under the new rules. I doubt I can manufacture enough points under the old rules between now and year-end to qualify for LTP under the old rules. If I am bucketed as LTG going forward, the implication is clear: in the new program you're a schmuck unless you're Platinum. Yes, Golds still get free Internet, but the loss of free breakfast and lounge access is a relationship killer.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Sure looks like a significant point devaluation with the merging... and after we just went through the annual hotel cat changes also.

Those higher end hotels are going to end up being cat 7 or 8 and peak, so will be in the 90-100k/nt range now.
My thoughts as well. I'm shocked this isn't being talked about more. I commend Marriott for all the enhancements they've rolled out (esp for lifetime status), but the #1 loyalty reward (IMO) for the entire program, award redemption, is probably getting severely devalued. Those cat 8/9 hotels that were 40k/45k pts a night are probably 60k+ (at minimum) now and more likely in the 80-100 range after you factor in peak times. Heck I stayed at the Ritz Cancun a few weeks ago for 50k a night. No chance that award is anywhere near that in 2019.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Whats the point earnings for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite at Residence Inn and Townplane suites?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ceber
Is it just me? the way I read this, my million points with starwood are worth a whole lot less after this merger? transfer to airline prior?

thoughts?
The email from SPG I just got says that we will get 3x the MR points for our SPG points, so looks like they did address this! I'm surprised they are giving a fair valuation conversion rate, so that's fair.

Last edited by alchemista; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:36 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by cova
Does LT Plat Premier (grand farthered from Lt Plat) get the 5 suite upgrades?
+1 That would be a great benefit if we do. Not holding my breath.... Will see soon enough I guess...

--Jon
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
As much as i want to be as optimistic as you are i suspect the reality is that MR is heading in hilton direction.

Plat level is not even remotely exclusive - it's a new mid tier (with infux of merged LT elites) and upgrades for plat will be very limited at any interesting places. So benefis will be similar to Hilton Gold/Dia which can be obtained with CC. In order to get meaningful recognition one needs to go way to PP or Amb and that's a lot of nights.

Pretty sure once new re categorization happens it will be very painful - it just doesnt go the other way in this game.

I agree that M has better hotels though.
Marriott Plat has never been exclusive! They have always had wayt too many who had 30 nights from the 2 credit cards, not to mention those who could spend to get extra elite nights on the cards.

SPG Plat has never been so exclusive, either, though it was never as bad as for Marriott Plat. There still were plenty of SPG Plats who earned it through 25 stays of 1 night each at cheap midscale properties in very inexpensive markets.

Those have been nixed. The new Plat will be a lot harder to earn...and therefore more exclusive. That and a much bigger portfolio makes it even more exclusive, I'd say.

Even the new Plat 100 spend requirement nixes those Plats who were staying at cheaper midscale and upscale properties to get their 100 nights. Those were most of the people whining in the SPG Forum Ambassador threads that their Ambassadors didn't do much for them. Well, they spent little, and so they got little. They also tended to stay at hotels that don't exactly offer much in the way of better service or amenities--but they were too foolish or too ignorant to ever notice or care.

Now we see the truth of the matter with the $20K spend requirement for Ambassador Plat Premier 100 status. And let me tell you--having the Ambassador and staying at great hotels makes ALL the difference in the world. As it were, I already have hit my 101 nights (helped by the 2 SPG Amex cards 10 elite nights, as well as earning 3 elite nights for paying for 3 rooms) and the $20K spend--and it's April. I also have had some incredible Ambassador upgrades and assists, including saving me a non-refundable StR Bora Bora night ($2000) from an airline cancellation, while also getting me upgraded to the StR Bora Bora 2 bedroom Royal OWV with private pool from a regular OWV! Including specialty suite upgrades at the Gritti Palace Venice in 2016 (from an award entry level room), the Excelsior Gallia Milan in 2016, the Hotel Imperial Vienna in 2017 (from an award entry level room), the Prince de Galles Paris (from an award entry level room), the StR San Francisco a dozen times since 2015 (from entry level paid and award rooms), the StR New York last month (on entry level paid room), and even the StR Atlanta in a week--already pre-upgraded to a St Regis Suite despite not using any SNAs and well before the SNA window opens! I just came back from the W Boston, where I was pre-upgraded to a Wow Suite 2 weeks before I arrived.

Those who spend more do better in the SPG Ambassador program. Those who spend more and stay more with Marriott will be rewarded in kind, it seems.

Those who were able to manufacture status before cannot do so as easily now--and I'm sorry for them,. But they aren't paying as much as others, and those who pay more are the ones who the program should most reward. The new program seems to do that. The Hilton program doesn't even come close.

The new Marriott program isn't perfect..but it's pretty good so far.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
+1 That would be a great benefit if we do. Not holding my breath.... Will see soon enough I guess...

--Jon
I'm guessing only active 50/75 nighters each year will get the certificates...since this is modeled after the SPG SNA benefit, SPG LT Plats never got them (had to actually stay 50 nights)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Marriott Gold status and August

Just looking for confirmation. I have marriott gold status. I have heard that in August when the new changes take place that Golds will be changed to Plat until the end of 2018. Is this accurate?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CJKatl
To qualify for an Ambassador in 2018 you will need to have had $20k in spend during the qualification period, which is this year.
This is false.

Originally Posted by escape4
So those who stay 100+ nights with SPG but spend below $20k: we keep AMB in 2019 and have to push spend to $20k during 2019 in order to keep AMB in 2020?
This is correct
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.