Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:36 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by getagb

Nobody knows the answer to this for sure, but I am pretty sure it will combine lifetime nights. In my thinking, it really depends on whether, when your SPG Account is migrated to a new Marriott account on August 18, the lifetime nights are migrated. Once you then have two Marriott accounts which get merged when you “combine” your accounts, the lifetime night counts will simply be added together.

One counterargument to this is that Marriott might only use the combined total for qualification under the new rules.

I’m in the same boat as you, just with more stays on the Marriott side, so I’m looking forward to post-merger reports to see if I can safely combine my accounts and still qualify under old criteria.

Your SPG lifetime gold will get you lifetime new-gold, which is better than old-silver but worse than old-gold. Your United 1K status might get you new-gold or new-Platinum next year; nobody’s really sure.
from what i understand:

because it is made clear that earnings based on our respective programs will retain their rules thru calendar year 2018 (ie: 25 stays at spg properties any time during 2018 = spg/marriot platinum), i really doubt they will combine. that would be AMAZING but i am thinking my ~230 spg lifetime + 28 marriott lifetime will count towards the 400 for the new marriott lifetime gold status and not the legacy spg 250 lifetime. it seems like they are keeping the two brands segregated after switchover solely for the purpose of the two programs disparate earning programs. but hey maybe we'll find a glitch when we check our accounts morning of 19 august or whenever.

i'm a few stays away from spg plat so i'll have it thru end of 2019, but i will be ~20 nights short of spg lifetime gold. so looks like a mattress run will be in order, but i only wonder if $2000usd is worth lifetime marriott gold, where the benefits are "enhanced internet" (worth $0 to me, during our lifetime wifi will only get better and better, plus i can just tether to my 4g lte phone), late checkout (4pm was amazing, now i stay at priceline express deal hotels and they'll give me 1pm with 0 status and a polite asking, so the "2pm based on availability" is really stupid, and will probably get worse with time), and knowing marriott, "enhanced room" probably just means a room on the "marriott rewards floor" on a higher floor, so longer waits for elevators. no lounge, no breakfast, and i doubt i'll ever hit lifetime plat (10 consecutive years of spending at minimum 13.6% of my nights in a marriott hotel room? uhhhh). lucky for those who previously hit 500 spg stays but yeah, i think i'm out of marriott, i'll just transfer everything to united, do a few business class flights around the world with bae where we will go with lowest available beach side shack/priceline name your price and air bnb. a good life lesson for me on the fluidity "loyalty" programs. not a huge issue but meh, we had it great with spg. #fwp #adiosstarwood
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
While I am all for waiting unless there is an immediate status benefit - let others experience any potential glitches - suggesting there might be an issue with qualifying under legacy rules if accounts are combined is baseless. It's been contradicted by the company's agent. If it mattered Marriott would include that information in its instructions to merge. Your thinking someone might have said this who you claim to trust despite not even knowing who it is defies logic.
The company's agent has said it will be possible to do it after combining, but has never said whether it will be harder (for example, will only one program's tlegacy racking be displayed once you combine, but both program's tracking displayed if you don't combine). You could still call them up and get all the info after you combined for whatever isn't showing, but it might be easier if you don't combine if that means you get more info online than after combining. (I'm not saying whether you will or will not get less info by combining, but I don't see anyone who's promised that you won't lose any info online by combining.)

And since I don't remember anyone showing us the new post-Aug-18 website interface, I don't know how anyone can know for sure whether combining will change what you see vs not combining.

So there could be a difference between what happens behind the scenes (which Starwood Lurker has commented on) and what you might see the user interface (which I don't recall Starwood Lurker commenting on much).

And keep in mind the IT is presumably mostly from the Marriott side, which brings us lovely things like lifetime points counter disappearing for a month (a couple months ago), and every Megabonus cycle some (even Platinum) Marriott members not getting a promo showing online and having to call in for it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
While I am all for waiting unless there is an immediate status benefit - let others experience any potential glitches - suggesting there might be an issue with qualifying under legacy rules if accounts are combined is baseless. It's been contradicted by the company's agent. If it mattered Marriott would include that information in its instructions to merge. Your thinking someone might have said this who you claim to trust despite not even knowing who it is defies logic.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I will never deny that. As you know the internet is full of data, and for me, a lot flies by and getting back to fleeting data points is not always doable (just searching Lurker posts is a hefty task). I have been looking for the posts that I have seen but I don't know if they are still online or the links that got me there aren't anymore. I still believe my advice is solid in that unless there is a valid reason, do not merge your accounts until it is truly known what will happen and not just seculative hopes that IT has done what marketing has said they will/won't do. And I point out, the denials are they don't recall saying it and not that my claims are false. I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but I have had instances where what we were told was not how things actually ended up working, so I prefer the cautious route than being sorry. Everyone is able to make up their own minds, let's present the options and let it be an informed decision rather than a follow-the-crowd choice.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It is not advising people to wait to merge accounts that is the issue. It is needlessly spreading a rumor that combining accounts may have an impact on qualifying based on legacy rules that is troublesome. It has been repeatedly stated by Marriott that Is incorrect, but for some reason you keep repeating it. Even you can find no evidence of this. It is irresponsible to keep repeating this as though it is fact or even possible. Even if there is a computer glitch, the rule is pretty clear, combining accounts will have no impact on whether somebody can qualify under the legacy rules. Any glitch will be corrected.
CPRich and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:20 am

Did a quick search through this forum and could not seem to find anything. But I have a question:

I currently have Marriott Gold Elite through a product match with SPG; do not have nearly enough stays. I've read that those who have gold elite through product matches will not be eligible for the currently gold elite perks in the new program (i.e. free breakfast, etc.)

I booked a hotel back in February for mid-September 2018 purely so I can get these perks.. Am I still going to be eligible for them? I called Marriott and they seemed clueless about it. But man, that would suck if they don't honor those perks.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by leafs123
Did a quick search through this forum and could not seem to find anything. But I have a question:

I currently have Marriott Gold Elite through a product match with SPG; do not have nearly enough stays. I've read that those who have gold elite through product matches will not be eligible for the currently gold elite perks in the new program (i.e. free breakfast, etc.)
The details about what SPG members should expect, including the mapping of SPG status, are at https://members.marriott.com/spg/

SPG Gold Preferred becomes Gold Elite in the new program.

Elite breakfast varies by hotel brand. In the new program, as in today's SPG program, most brands provide some form of complimentary breakfast for elite+1 at the Platinum level, but not at the Gold level.

Linked status was a good deal, while it lasted, especially for SPG Gold Preferred members who got today's Gold Elite level benefits at Rewards properties. Essentially, for almost two years, it was like being an elite level higher with Rewards than with SPG.

I booked a hotel back in February for mid-September 2018 purely so I can get these perks.. Am I still going to be eligible for them? I called Marriott and they seemed clueless about it. But man, that would suck if they don't honor those perks.
The hotel will honor the benefits for your elite level at the time of your stay.

If you've stayed at SPG and Rewards properties this years, you'll want to combine your accounts beginning August 18. If the combined total is 50 nights or more, you'll be Platinum Elite in the new program.

It remains to be seen if Marriott will give some SPG Gold Preferred members Platinum Elite in the new program, even they did not quite achieve enough nights. I wouldn't count on it, but you never know.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Horace
The hotel will honor the benefits for your elite level at the time of your stay.
This is correct but I know several people who have reached out to hotels, explained the situation and been told the benefits will be honored for the stay. I would not just show up and expect charm to win over the hotel, but asking ahead of time seems to work.
eracerblue and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:16 am

This is correct but I know several people who have reached out to hotels, explained the situation and been told the benefits will be honored for the stay. I would not just show up and expect charm to win over the hotel, but asking ahead of time seems to work.
Once the situation becomes a bit clearer I will email the hotel directly and ask just that. Seems like not a lot of employees know exactly what's going on from my experience and conversations with them of late.

Cheers
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The details about what SPG members should expect, including the mapping of SPG status, are at https://members.marriott.com/spg/

Elite breakfast varies by hotel brand. In the new program, as in today's SPG program, most brands provide some form of complimentary breakfast for elite+1 at the Platinum level, but not at the Gold level.

Linked status was a good deal, while it lasted, especially for SPG Gold Preferred members who got today's Gold Elite level benefits at Rewards properties. Essentially, for almost two years, it was like being an elite level higher with Rewards than with SPG.

If you've stayed at SPG and Rewards properties this years, you'll want to combine your accounts beginning August 18. If the combined total is 50 nights or more, you'll be Platinum Elite in the new program.

It remains to be seen if Marriott will give some SPG Gold Preferred members Platinum Elite in the new program, even they did not quite achieve enough nights. I wouldn't count on it, but you never know.
To be more precise, the hotel will look at your status as reflected in your account at the time of check in to determine benefits during your stay. This means that qualifying for a higher level during your stay doesn't count, nor will hotels honor cases where you would have a higher status if something had posted on time or if status had been updated before your check in. This is SOP, but of course YMMV as some properties may voluntarily go above and beyond.

If your reservation can still be cancelled without penalty, the hotel might (or might not if they can sell the room at a higher rate) be more willing to agree to the benefits as there's an implicit threat (my advice would be to keep it implicit and don't mention this) to go elsewhere while OTOH the hotel might feel more sympathetic about a prepaid booking. Again, YMMV.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To be more precise, the hotel will look at your status as reflected in your account at the time of check in to determine benefits during your stay. This means that qualifying for a higher level during your stay doesn't count, nor will hotels honor cases where you would have a higher status if something had posted on time or if status had been updated before your check in. This is SOP, but of course YMMV as some properties may voluntarily go above and beyond.

If your reservation can still be cancelled without penalty, the hotel might (or might not if they can sell the room at a higher rate) be more willing to agree to the benefits as there's an implicit threat (my advice would be to keep it implicit and don't mention this) to go elsewhere while OTOH the hotel might feel more sympathetic about a prepaid booking. Again, YMMV.
Actually what seems to be happening is the property gets your status at time of booking or latest modification. If they don't have any reason to refresh your reservation then their system will show the old status. This can be good if your status has dropped in the meantime, but bad if it's gone up. You'll never know if they have had reason to refresh their system before your arrival so just about anything can happen. If you want to follow the rules then you should only get benefits for your status at time of check-in. I doubt any property will try to change things after that, and their stay will not reflect in your account until a day or so after you check out. Some have been luck to find properties that will be more generous, some will want you to check out and back in to get the system to update, again a situation where just about anything could happen. I find politely asking for what might be important to me for that visit will get granted. I fully accept an answer of no, if that is what it is. :Properties are allowed to go above and beyond should they choose. Some will interpret that as being the standard and will expect that everywhere, it isn't.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I agree. That's a useful clarification.

In this particular case, changed status is not an issue. A Gold member made a reservation in February, before the program changes were announced, and still expects to have Gold status at check-in in September. The published Gold benefits will have changed significantly by then at some Marriott legacy brands.

The question is whether it's possible to make a compelling case to the hotel that the Gold member should get Platinum benefits, or at least lounge access (if it's one of the five Marriott legacy brands with the lounge/breakfast benefit) because of the timing of when the reservation was made.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 7, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:01 am

Once the situation becomes a bit clearer I will email the hotel directly and ask just that. Seems like not a lot of employees know exactly what's going on from my experience and conversations with them of late.
It is pretty clear. Gold maps to new gold which does not get breakfast. If this is the deciding factor, I would reach out to the hotel before the torrent of program switchover hits them. Then you have time to change your plans if their response is not to your liking.

If you are at or near a combined nights to reach Plat, then perhaps reach out to the program.

Many more details can be found on the wiki from this thread: Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by eracerblue

It is pretty clear. Gold maps to new gold which does not get breakfast. If this is the deciding factor, I would reach out to the hotel before the torrent of program switchover hits them. Then you have time to change your plans if their response is not to your liking.

If you are at or near a combined nights to reach Plat, then perhaps reach out to the program.

Many more details can be found on the wiki from this thread: Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th
Thanks for the assistance. Fired off an email to them now so hopefully I at least get it in writing for my stay if they agree to be generous with it. It's for the Cotton House in Barcelona; not sure if that would increase or decrease my odds.

Cheers
CJKatl and eracerblue like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you want to follow the rules then you should only get benefits for your status at time of check-in.
This misstates the rule. The rule is not that you "should only get benefits for your status at time of check-in" nor has a hotel every been under such a restriction. The rule is someone is entitled to the benefits for his/her status at check-in. Each hotel can decide to give additional benefits to anyone and is not subject to any limit as is stated. It is an important distinction especially for Golds who are losing benefits.
CPRich, C17PSGR, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think the benefits discussion has run its course. Perhaps we might move on?
getagb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.