Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Well, first of all, it was never announced that the new program would start on Aug 1. A set date was never advertised and all mentions were generic for the month of August. I for one think it may even start earlier than that, on July 27 or 28.

The sample award chart was announced for May, and they came through. The full award chart was announced for June; again, they delivered.

So, what you “hardly call” on schedule, was on schedule.
^^^

Thank you! Indeed!

I’m a bit tired of the naysayers complaining about how Marriott hasn’t delivered on its promises. I doubted like most at the start, but Marriott has come through with remarkably impressive performance and decisions throughout this process. It hasn’t been perfect, but what is these days?

Marriott took Starwood and largely made the new loyalty program adopt a semi-SPG look. SPG was the most impressive loyalty program, and Marriott largely cloned it for itself. Marriott promised to please the SPG elites, and it largely has done an incredible job doing just that. Marriott promised us award charts, and it has delivered us award charts.

Marriott deserves tremendous respect for merging two huge programs and customer bases into one new community. They’ve done it with care, with thought, and with an eye to trying to please as many customers and owners as possible. They even listened when the SPG Lifetime Plats complained about not getting New Lifetime Platinum Premier status like their Marriott counterparts. (FWIW, I’m not benefitting from that.)

Marriott has earned high praise. But the whining and complaining and the constant doubts aren’t warranted. Thus far, Marriott has delivered.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Well, first of all, it was never announced that the new program would start on Aug 1. A set date was never advertised and all mentions were generic for the month of August. I for one think it may even start earlier than that, on July 27 or 28.

The sample award chart was announced for May, and they came through. The full award chart was announced for June; again, they delivered.

So, what you “hardly call” on schedule, was on schedule.
Let's deal with facts. This is from a Marriott/SPG Q&A citing 8/1 as the start date:

Q: Can I receive SPG benefits and earn Starpoints and Elite Night Credits during stays at hotels in the Marriott Rewards portfolio? And can I receive Marriott Rewards benefits and earn Marriott Rewards points and Elite Night Credits for stays at hotels in the SPG portfolio?
A: Until August 1st, 2018, the programs will remain separate: SPG members will continue to earn Starpoints and receive SPG benefits at hotels participating in the SPG program, and Marriott Rewards members will earn Marriott Rewards points and receive Marriott Rewards benefits at hotels participating in that program. You’ll need two loyalty member accounts—one for each program. Starting August 1st, 2018, you’ll be able to seamlessly book, earn points and redeem points across all of Marriott’s 6,500 hotels and 29 hotel brands and you will need to combine your loyalty member accounts online prior to arrival at the hotel to receive the benefits from your combined status. Log in to spg.com and follow the prompts in order to combine your accounts. SPG, Marriott Rewards, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards will maintain their separate names. See Marriott’s Member Benefits page for more information (members.marriott.com).

Any official sources to back up your May and June date citations above? From a customer perspective, 4 weeks notice is too little and cutting it way too close (especially with higher category hotels having limited availability more than a few months out).

Originally Posted by bhrubin
^^^
Thank you! Indeed!

I’m a bit tired of the naysayers complaining about how Marriott hasn’t delivered on its promises. I doubted like most at the start, but Marriott has come through with remarkably impressive performance and decisions throughout this process. It hasn’t been perfect, but what is these days?

Marriott took Starwood and largely made the new loyalty program adopt a semi-SPG look. SPG was the most impressive loyalty program, and Marriott largely cloned it for itself. Marriott promised to please the SPG elites, and it largely has done an incredible job doing just that. Marriott promised us award charts, and it has delivered us award charts.

Marriott deserves tremendous respect for merging two huge programs and customer bases into one new community. They’ve done it with care, with thought, and with an eye to trying to please as many customers and owners as possible. They even listened when the SPG Lifetime Plats complained about not getting New Lifetime Platinum Premier status like their Marriott counterparts. (FWIW, I’m not benefitting from that.)

Marriott has earned high praise. But the whining and complaining and the constant doubts aren’t warranted. Thus far, Marriott has delivered.
I'm not a naysayer nor did I say they haven't delivered. Just providing critique; the world's largest hotel company shouldn't have 90 minute holds on their Platinum Elite line. Period.

Just one example. I don't want to generalize either way, but do want to point out where I think improvements can be made to the merger process. I don't get why you are all about heaping praise on Marriott; it's not a person I have a personal relationship with and want to stay positive with.

It's a for-profit corporation. Decisions made are in pursuit of said profit, and we are the customers providing a lot of that revenue and profit. The feedback and "keeping them honest" is important.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Has Marriott defined "qualifying revenue" for the Platinum Premier Elite 100+ night level? Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Has Marriott defined "qualifying revenue" for the Platinum Premier Elite 100+ night level? Thanks!
Nope, not yet. For those in 2018 stay 100 nights at legacy SPG hotels, there is no $20K req’t until 2019. For those in 2018 who stay a combination of 100 nights between legacy SPG and Marriott hotels, there is the $20K req’t (and for everyone from 2019 onward.)

For Marriott people, the fact that Marriott started the new loyalty program in August allows you the opportunity to qualify for Ambassador service and status as early as 2018 and certainly to have it by the time 2019 starts. Had Marriott not begun the new loyalty program until Jan or Feb 2019, it would take that much longer before anyone from the Marriott side had the opportunity to even try to qualify for Ambassador service and status.

So I don’t think it’s too big a deal to wait up until August to learn what the qualified spending will be towards the $20K.

That being said, I think we safely can assume that room rate, food/beverage, and spa items that can be charged to your room folio should qualify. That’s most of the spending for most people, anyway.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat

So I don’t think it’s too big a deal to wait up until August to learn what the qualified spending will be towards the $20K.
For those of us who book groups, it's a big deal now. The answers to my questions about number of rooms and group reservations are needed now. Waiting until August to book groups for September and October is a mess.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lexdevil
For those of us who book groups, it's a big deal now. The answers to my questions about number of rooms and group reservations are needed now. Waiting until August to book groups for September and October is a mess.
I book groups, too.

The qualified spend details aren’t yet announced, but the elite nights for groups have been announced. If I remember correctly, it’s 10 elite nights for the first group/meeting, plus 1 elite night per 20 rooms consumed after that. The last is pretty much the same as SPG Pro in the final year or so.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Let's deal with facts. This is from a Marriott/SPG Q&A citing 8/1 as the start date:

Q: Can I receive SPG benefits and earn Starpoints and Elite Night Credits during stays at hotels in the Marriott Rewards portfolio? And can I receive Marriott Rewards benefits and earn Marriott Rewards points and Elite Night Credits for stays at hotels in the SPG portfolio?
A: Until August 1st, 2018, the programs will remain separate: SPG members will continue to earn Starpoints and receive SPG benefits at hotels participating in the SPG program, and Marriott Rewards members will earn Marriott Rewards points and receive Marriott Rewards benefits at hotels participating in that program. You’ll need two loyalty member accounts—one for each program. Starting August 1st, 2018, you’ll be able to seamlessly book, earn points and redeem points across all of Marriott’s 6,500 hotels and 29 hotel brands and you will need to combine your loyalty member accounts online prior to arrival at the hotel to receive the benefits from your combined status. Log in to spg.com and follow the prompts in order to combine your accounts. SPG, Marriott Rewards, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards will maintain their separate names. See Marriott’s Member Benefits page for more information (members.marriott.com).
That’s not the Q&A text on members.marriott.com. And I don’t remember ever reading any Aug 1 reference.

The official press release on Apr 16 made no reference to that date. Nor did post #5 on this thread.

Any official sources to back up your May and June date citations above? From a customer perspective, 4 weeks notice is too little and cutting it way too close (especially with higher category hotels having limited availability more than a few months out).
It was clearly mentioned on members.marriott.com and repeated several times by SPG Lurkers on the SPG forum.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Jul 2, 2018 at 9:26 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'm sorry, but does it really make any difference if Marriott thought the crossover date would be Aug 1 and they have now decided to push it back a few days? The same people pointing to a possible date change as proof of incompetence would likely be the first to point to any mistake in an Aug 1 rollout as proof of incompetence. We do not know the reason for any possible push back on the date, but it may be as benign as avoiding someone's vacation date or maybe it is taking longer to get staff updated on the changes than originally anticipated. Those who are attributing anything sinister or pointing to this as proof that Marriott is inept are looking for reasons for those claims. In the scheme of things pushing the official start date back means nothing and likely shows that Marriott is aware enough to know there might be issues and cares enough that they want to get it right.

End of rant.
kennycrudup and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The official press release on Apr 16 made no reference to that date. Nor did post #5 on this thread.
A post on Flyertalk is not an official press release. And what the SPG Lurkers state is based on knowledge at that moment, which is why they frequently caveat it by saying this is all they know now, or the info is subject to change, etc.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I'm sorry, but does it really make any difference if Marriott thought the crossover date would be Aug 1 and they have now decided to push it back a few days?
Yes, it does make a difference. This is not a small mom and pop operating; this is the world's biggest hotel company that likely has consulting firms in there managing towards this deadline.

It is thus perplexing that we are in the last month and they are playing games with the start date in August. Among other things. They should have provided a PP slide/visual that showed all the pertinent dates relating to members in 2018 so that we could know the last day, for example, to book under the old rates.

The fact that their call centers for elites alone are overwhelmed shows how little consistent information they've provided to their customer base en masse (not just those of us with more awareness here on this board) and how unprepared they are, at least with regards to merging call center operations, at handling customer volumes (which they've known for 2+ years now).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:48 pm

i mean just look at their IT... i much prefer starwood's site and app over ...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes, it does make a difference. This is not a small mom and pop operating; this is the world's biggest hotel company that likely has consulting firms in there managing towards this deadline.
It clearly makes a huge difference to you and some others, and yet it makes little difference to me and others. I’m going to take a gues that the former group is much smaller than the latter group. Regardless, bellyaching isn’t going to change when that start date might be.

This is the same complaint we hear about a hotel not opening as scheduled; anyone prudent knew that was likely to be the case already.

It is thus perplexing that we are in the last month and they are playing games with the start date in August. Among other things. They should have provided a PP slide/visual that showed all the pertinent dates relating to members in 2018 so that we could know the last day, for example, to book under the old rates.
It may be perplexing to you, but it’s not at all surprising to most of us. They’re not playing games to me, but working hard to get it done as quickly as they can—with the inevitable delays that always come from merging two huge corporate structures. The playing games here seems to be done by people like you (and most everyone else) who want to speculate and make out on the award changes. That’s the pot calling the kettle black if ever I saw it!

The fact that their call centers for elites alone are overwhelmed shows how little consistent information they've provided to their customer base en masse (not just those of us with more awareness here on this board) and how unprepared they are, at least with regards to merging call center operations, at handling customer volumes (which they've known for 2+ years now).
The fact that their call centers are overwhelmed shows that they’ve not managed the transition with their call centers well—and nothing more. You’re trying to draw conclusions to satisfy a confirmation bias that Marriott is out to screw people somehow. But those conclusions aren’t supported by what’s going on.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yerffej201
i mean just look at their IT... i much prefer starwood's site and app over ...
Yeah IMO it wasn't even close and that was before the latest few weeks of Marriott IT issues

This was one of the best FT threads ever and we may need one here too

Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat

I book groups, too.

The qualified spend details aren’t yet announced, but the elite nights for groups have been announced. If I remember correctly, it’s 10 elite nights for the first group/meeting, plus 1 elite night per 20 rooms consumed after that. The last is pretty much the same as SPG Pro in the final year or so.
The nights issue is sill not clear, though that is not my personal concern. I am more concerned about spend.

If we will not get spend credit for room blocks we book and pay for, I may stop booking group contracts and book only individual rooms. Of course I'll need to know how many rooms I'll be credited with (for spend). I'll also need to know if I will get credit for more rooms if I have all of the room charges routed to my room.

In January the Residence Inn Tempe (where I had no group contract) routed all room charges to my room (not at my request). The result was around $7K in charges on my room, but I received no MR points (because I could only be given points on three of the rooms). I had to call in to get the MR points added manually. If doing this will get me spend credit for all of my rooms, I'll opt for this strategy and have them add points manually.

I just need to know what the policy is. Until I know, I'm not signing any group contracts that I can't get out of. I'm just booking (lots of) individual cancelable rooms.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The nights issue is sill not clear, though that is not my personal concern. I am more concerned about spend.

If we will not get spend credit for room blocks we book and pay for, I may stop booking group contracts and book only individual rooms. Of course I'll need to know how many rooms I'll be credited with (for spend). I'll also need to know if I will get credit for more rooms if I have all of the room charges routed to my room.

In January the Residence Inn Tempe (where I had no group contract) routed all room charges to my room (not at my request). The result was around $7K in charges on my room, but I received no MR points (because I could only be given points on three of the rooms). I had to call in to get the MR points added manually. If doing this will get me spend credit for all of my rooms, I'll opt for this strategy and have them add points manually.

I just need to know what the policy is. Until I know, I'm not signing any group contracts that I can't get out of. I'm just booking (lots of) individual cancelable rooms.
Yes, lots of details unknown right now and they do not seem to be rushed to get them out. I'm still trying to understand why they can't even name the program now (yes, very trivial item) but can see all the "fine points" needing washed through the conversion team. Just reading back through these threads of all the people that are going to bail because they don't have the details of the new program is frustrating. Having been involved in new product releases, this is exactly why we did not pre announce anything as it would just about kill current products with customers wanting to wait for the latest/greatest. There is only so much you can hide from customers and everyone wants to think they deserve knowing what's coming down the pipe. The total FT population is a very small percentage of the MR/SPG world, but we just might be among the loudest!

If I were in your position, I'd use what I know now and move forward. Keeping the plans flexible should allow you to adjust as more info is known. And you know there will be more business to leverage the program to your benefit. Given the size of your group (from what I've read) I would feel better knowing things are in place early.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:50 am
Suspended

This:

EARN

Earn points on all eligible charges, including rooms, food and beverage, audio visual charges and more.
  • Earn more as you achieve elite status. Per each qualifying event, base members can earn up to 60,000 points (2 points per $1 USD); while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event.
See benefits chart below for details.

If you choose to earn frequent flyer airline miles instead of points, all member tiers can earn a maximum of 20,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) per qualifying event.
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.