Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Hey Bill- I've been seeing your fiance'e behind your back

... hey man, it just happened- but I don't regret any of it.

I've actually been an SPG member longer than a MR member, but once I had to travel extensively for work there were more Marriott properties where I was looking and the prices were better, so I made my bones (and LTP) with MR with only an occasional stay in SPG. Lately, I'm now only traveling 2-4 nights a month now, and since the merger and my matched Plat status I've done a few SPG rooms here and there, but only for a night or two because the prices were better in MR properties.

However, since the beginning of the year and perhaps due to the "wedding" getting closer, some of the SPG properties have come down a bit- so what started as mere flirtation has turned into a full-on affair; I haven't stayed in an MR property in a few months now. I'm not staying anywhere that would light up the SPG forum, but the places I have stayed have given me the only kind of "recognition" that actually matters to me- huge upgrades (even this one 4PTS had two-floor loft rooms bigger than my first apartment).

So fair warning, Bill- unless she changes after y'all get married, I'm going to keep seeing her ... sorry dude
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I am your opposite...after an amazing 9 year marriage w/SPG (that got better each year somehow), I have been forced to begin a torrid 7 month affair w/MR (but come 2019, I return to my first love ).

Other than a couple nice dates (The Camby, LAX Marriott), it's been pretty boring (cough endless CYs cough), and it just doesn't make me feel as special...but hey, I'm able to rack up a LOT of nights VERY cheaply so I will take the short-term hit for long-term bliss.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:22 pm

What happen for the award hotel booking if it change to lower category on Aug 1

I have an award booking of several nights for a hotel from Aug 1-Aug 6, it's category level will be lower on Aug 1. I really like to take advantage of the lower points redemption. But we are not allowed to make booking using the new redemption rate until Aug. I called marriott reward and the agent said I can book now using the current points redemption and on the check in day, I can request to cancel the booking and get the new booking with the lower points rdemption.

Marriott changes hotel ceategory level in March every year. Did anyone have experience on the first day of the category change date checking into a hotel that became lower category? What's your experience?

Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
So fair warning, Bill- unless she changes after y'all get married, I'm going to keep seeing her ... sorry dude
I don't understand - are you warning Marriott that you'll stay at "SPG" properties? Marriott and SPG are the same company. They've been "married" for nearly two years.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:09 pm

so still no word on how 7 night certs are getting treated, right?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't understand - are you warning Marriott that you'll stay at "SPG" properties? Marriott and SPG are the same company. They've been "married" for nearly two years.
A better analogy was that they were engaged for a couple years (much like UA and CO were 2010-early 2012)...that marriage was "official" in a sense 3/3/12, as will this one be come 8/1/18.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A better analogy was that they were engaged for a couple years (much likes UA and CO were 2010-early 2012)...that marriage was "official" in a sense 3/3/12, as will this one be come 8/1/18.
No, a better analogy is that Starwood is a Fig Newton and Marriott is the Cookie Monster.

And the loyalty programs are only a very small part of the companies.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
No, a better analogy is that Starwood is a Fig Newton and Marriott is the Cookie Monster.

And the loyalty programs are only a very small part of the companies.
Scale or merger vs. acquisition is quite beside the point in these last few posts...the whole point is that it has been a two year transition period before "one company" really kicks in. Marriott has "owned" Starwood for almost two years now, but the true effects haven't really kicked in yet and won't for a full month.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Can you now confirm what happens to 7-night certificate of a Marriott travel package? Will they carry over, and if so, will they retain their assigned category? Or will they be converted to points, and if so, what is the conversion factor?
They remain unanswered.

You should follow the mirror thread in SPG forum where Lurker has been updating the community on whatever he is allowed to convey.

Lurker actually has a post a few days ago using an FAQ format with the Qs but no As, just that members should redeem the TPs and attach the certs before the programs merger to maximize the value.

As of now, none of your questions have had any answer, other than the answers will come "soon".
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
They remain unanswered.

You should follow the mirror thread in SPG forum where Lurker has been updating the community on whatever he is allowed to convey.

Lurker actually has a post a few days ago using an FAQ format with the Qs but no As, just that members should redeem the TPs and attach the certs before the programs merger to maximize the value.

As of now, none of your questions have had any answer, other than the answers will come "soon".
Thank you, I did see that. I'm an SPG fan, but I posted here because it seemed more appropriate.

ETA: my question was moved here when Marriott Rewards Insider's thread was merged into this one.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Thank you, I did see that. I'm an SPG fan, but I posted here because it seemed more appropriate.

ETA: my question was moved here when Marriott Rewards Insider's thread was merged into this one.
Strangely Marriott has chosen to let SPG's social media rep to be the channel of communication. That is how it is. Go where the information flow is.

Even more strangely, Marriott sent a blogger an email to inform him that -

<<To clarify, we have not announced the date when the programs will unify in August. You cited August 1. The new award chart will take effect when the two programs are unified in August. The date will be announced soon. >>

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...hen-you-think/

So Marriott does NOT even know when the new category charts would become effective, because it does NOT know when the programs would actually merged!

And someone here in the upthread insisted that Marriott would have already decided everything 6 months ago based on his own experiences on program mergers... comical.

In all reality, Marriott seems to be on a "Play by the Ears" to decide which direction it would go when it comes to everything - from elite status, lounge access, breakfast benefits, travel package redemption, new award categories... it can not be more fluid than what is going on since April. I dont see any evidence that Marriott has decided everything 6 months before the actual D Day.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Happy
In all reality, Marriott seems to be on a "Play by the Ears" to decide which direction it would go when it comes to everything - from elite status, lounge access, breakfast benefits, travel package redemption, new award categories... it can not be more fluid than what is going on since April. I dont see any evidence that Marriott has decided everything 6 months before the actual D Day.
My guess is that they have 1 or more consulting firms helping them with this merger, with at least one of them running a Project Management Office. Besides this PMO, things are likely quite decentralized, and the PMO is waiting on 1 or more lagging "groups" to catch up or submit an outstanding piece.

We know they are off of the 8/1 timeline at this point. The question is how behind is the PMO overall and which of the decentralized groups is the laggard.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

We know they are off of the 8/1 timeline at this point. The question is how behind is the PMO overall and which of the decentralized groups is the laggard.
We know that ?!.... so far everything everything coming out of Marriott has been on schedule.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
We know that ?!.... so far everything everything coming out of Marriott has been on schedule.
Yes. Did you see this post a few above? Marriott emailed a blogger to say 8/1 isn't confirmed yet.

What externally-published schedule has there been besides the 8/1 date to say everything is on schedule? I would hardly call new category assignments with ~4 weeks notice "on schedule."
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes. Did you see this post a few above? Marriott emailed a blogger to say 8/1 isn't confirmed yet.

What externally-published schedule has there been besides the 8/1 date to say everything is on schedule? I would hardly call new category assignments with ~4 weeks notice "on schedule."
Well, first of all, it was never announced that the new program would start on Aug 1. A set date was never advertised and all mentions were generic for the month of August. I for one think it may even start earlier than that, on July 27 or 28.

The sample award chart was announced for May, and they came through. The full award chart was announced for June; again, they delivered.

So, what you “hardly call” on schedule, was on schedule.
CPRich and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.