Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
This has been a much asked question over the years in the SPG forum. Best is to simply think about it as the number of times you qualified for Platinum via nights (or stays in the old SPG program). So your case is one year. You qualified once - it just happened that you were then Plat for the rest of that year but you only qualified once.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
For years of status, has it been determined how they count the partial membership year in which you quality? Starting from no status, you stayed 50 Marriott nights in calendar 2013, this gave 50-night status for the (rest of the) 2013 membership year, and for the 2014 membership year. Does this count as one year of status, or two?
While we may not yet know exactly how it will work, StarwoodLurker also said recently that in August all three program websites (including Marriott's) will show your years for the purpose of qualifying for the combined program version of lifetime status. So by August, you should know what exactly counted, and you can't change that between now and August anyway (for something that was earned back in 2013).
Old May 9, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
While we may not yet know exactly how it will work, StarwoodLurker also said recently that in August all three program websites (including Marriott's) will show your years for the purpose of qualifying for the combined program version of lifetime status. So by August, you should know what exactly counted, and you can't change that between now and August anyway (for something that was earned back in 2013).
Although we now do know that they added a rule to allow combined LT totals to count in the second half of this year and if you qualify based on your combined total you can be grandfathered into LTPP status in Jan 2019. You must be pleased!
Old May 9, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat
sorry if this has been answered already but do we know which day in August these changes are occuring? I called marriott but they weren't sure.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
TPG published a new article this morning indicating that they received confirmation from Marriott that MR/SPG lifetime nights and years of platinum activity will be combined on 8/1/18, and that accounts on both the historical MR and SPG side with 750+ nights and 10+ years platinum will receive LTPP (and any other applicable legacy tiers), as long as those numbers are attained by 12/31/18.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lifetime-status-new-marriott-program/

Key points in the article...

"We’ve received confirmation from Marriott that your activity for the rest of the year at both Marriott and SPG hotels will count toward both of the legacy programs’ qualification criteria. As a result, if you’re within striking distance of any of these levels in one of the programs, it could make a lot of sense to grab the remaining nights and/or base points by December 31, and you have the entire combined portfolio of brands."

"In addition, Marriott just announced an update for those SPG Lifetime Platinums with 750+ nights (who by definition also have 10 or more years of Platinum status). These members will now be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, just like existing Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite members will be."

"Almost SPG Lifetime Platinum members: If you’ve had SPG Platinum status for 10+ years and are within striking distance of SPG Lifetime Platinum but won’t be able to reach the 500-night threshold by December 31, you’re looking at an additional 100 nights to reach that level in the new program. This would be dulled a bit if you’ve also had some significant night activity with Marriott, as those lifetime balances will be combined as of August 1. However, if you’re at 450 nights with Starwood and can’t get another 50 by the end of the year, your qualification threshold jumps from 500 to 600 nights in the new program."

Last edited by jrothenb; May 10, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old May 10, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
"We’ve received confirmation from Marriott that your activity for the rest of the year at both Marriott and SPG hotels will count toward both of the legacy programs’ qualification criteria.
They've previously said that years you were elite in both programs would count as 2, right? So does this mean if I have 50 Marriott nights this year, that will get me 2 additional years counting towards LT status, since I'd earn it in both legacy programs?
Old May 10, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
They've previously said that years you were elite in both programs would count as 2, right? So does this mean if I have 50 Marriott nights this year, that will get me 2 additional years counting towards LT status, since I'd earn it in both legacy programs?
I severely doubt it, because they've said recently that they'll determine years by counting elite nights in each year, not by looking at what actual status you were in each year. Which implies that linked status years won't count, gifted status years won't count (unless they gifted by dumping gobs of elite nights into your account), "tasted" (challanged) status years won't count, etc.

My estimate is that someone who has under or just over 750 nights all at Marriott probably doesn't have 10 years at Marriott Platinum, because that would require a minimum of 750 nights and only that if you earned exactly 75 nights (but no more) each year.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Anyone know, when the CC certs switch from category based to points based will we be able to use them at higher category hotels by spending additional points?
Old May 13, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander
Anyone know, when the CC certs switch from category based to points based will we be able to use them at higher category hotels by spending additional points?
See the wiki for the parallel Starwood thread. (Spoiler: no.)
Old May 13, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Just a quick question after this new announcement: Current MR Lifetime Plats will still be Lifetime Plat Premier in the new program?
Old May 14, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Muerz
Just a quick question after this new announcement: Current MR Lifetime Plats will still be Lifetime Plat Premier in the new program?
Nothing to suggest that has changed.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:32 am

I severely doubt it, because they've said recently that they'll determine years by counting elite nights in each year, not by looking at what actual status you were in each year. Which implies that linked status years won't count, gifted status years won't count (unless they gifted by dumping gobs of elite nights into your account), "tasted" (challanged) status years won't count, etc.

My estimate is that someone who has under or just over 750 nights all at Marriott probably doesn't have 10 years at Marriott Platinum, because that would require a minimum of 750 nights and only that if you earned exactly 75 nights (but no more) each year.
Where have they recently said this?
Old May 15, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Where have they recently said this?
https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...status-updates

"How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing."

So if you were Platinum in some year but only because of a "taste", you wouldn't have 75 nights that year, and the above explanation implies they'll look for 75 nights, not whether you Platinum due to some "special" reason.

Gosh, we don't even know if they've kept a record of everyone who had elite status for some "special" reason years ago. It could be that only way they have of determining status is through saved night counts, which wouldn't work out the same as what status you actually had if you got that status in a "special" way.

Of course, as with so many other things that Marriott has posted, it's not 110% clear, but it's enough to make it suspect that years with status earned in "special" way at least might not count.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:57 pm

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing."

So if you were Platinum in some year but only because of a "taste", you wouldn't have 75 nights that year, and the above explanation implies they'll look for 75 nights, not whether you Platinum due to some "special" reason.

Gosh, we don't even know if they've kept a record of everyone who had elite status for some "special" reason years ago. It could be that only way they have of determining status is through saved night counts, which wouldn't work out the same as what status you actually had if you got that status in a "special" way.

Of course, as with so many other things that Marriott has posted, it's not 110% clear, but it's enough to make it suspect that years with status earned in "special" way at least might not count.
I read the reference to "50 night level" as just hi-lighting the difference between Marriott and SPG (which required fewer nights). I thought the reference to "Gold Elite Status" was the key. But, I could be wrong. I'd be pretty irritated if, at this point, Marriott differentiates between different ways of having achieved status when they didn't differentiate when they emailed me in past years and asked if I'd like to take a short cut and didn't say that i'd be Platinum "Lite" or Gold "Lite" .
Old May 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Note that the statement above is " If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level" and does not say the member has to have earned 50 nights in a particular year. Your made up requirement that things like completing a quick program for status might not count is unsupported by anything Marriott has said, published or forwarded. Their pained effort to use phrases like "at the 50 night level" seem crafted specifically to include years where status was granted without completing the nights. Those who may have been soft landed into Plat despite only having 74 nights in a given year have nothing to worry about. The rug will not be pulled out.

And surely Marriott has a record of who had what status in what year. Given the new program starts shortly it is unlikely the IT has not been worked out. Certainly Marriott knew they had a record of past elite levels prior to deciding you use that as the qualification parameter. They have been straight forward about smaller IT issues where there is no record, specifically on the SPG side, that there should be no worry that a few weeks before the new program is scheduled to start they might announce that they suddenly realize they don't have a record of who had what status in which year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.