Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by inflight_irish
I am very disappointed with the new Lifetime status for SPG members. I don't think it is fair that SPG members like me will only receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status instead of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status when I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum member with (1) 879 SPG lifetime nights (actual nights), (2) $179,626 lifetime revenue spent at SPG properties, (3) 1.5 million Starpoints, (4) 112 lifetime nights with Marriott, and (5) 332,010 Marriott points.
I would be disappointed, too, if I were in your shoes.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Combining Rewards/SPG Accounts

So come August we will be able to merge our Rewards and SPG accounts. I already have my Marriott status for the year, but if earn SPG status as well will that count as an extra year towards the new lifetime status? I'm guessing it will based on the e-mail that was sent out.

I'd be starting from scratch with SPG, so while I'd easily be able to hit gold. I'm not sure if I could earn SPG platinum by August 1st.

• If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.
  • And, if you’ve achieve Elite status in both Rewards and SPG in a single year, it will count as two years toward Lifetime status
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Was out of the country when this came out so only now catching up. The changes seem fair overall but the changes from points to years don't really help in my situation. I'm really too old to close to the end of my working years to try for LT Plat. My credit card nights just hit taking me to 50 Marriott nights for the year so I've just moved my future reservations back to Hilton where I'm just 2-3 years from LT Diamond. Looking ahead I'll probably still try to hit 50 nights w/ "the program who has not yet been named" but my priority will be Hilton until I get that LT status. On the whole, I'm very happy that Marriott announced these changes early in the year so folks can evaluate and decide the best course of action for themselves going forward.
LF72 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by inflight_irish
I am very disappointed with the new Lifetime status for SPG members. I don't think it is fair that SPG members like me will only receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status instead of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status when I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum member with (1) 879 SPG lifetime nights (actual nights), (2) $179,626 lifetime revenue spent at SPG properties, (3) 1.5 million Starpoints, (4) 112 lifetime nights with Marriott, and (5) 332,010 Marriott points.
Sucks but from Marriott's standpoint, that's what you get for not spending all 879 SPG nights at a Marriott property.
Brendan and kennycrudup like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flandery
So come August we will be able to merge our Rewards and SPG accounts. I already have my Marriott status for the year, but if earn SPG status as well will that count as an extra year towards the new lifetime status? I'm guessing it will based on the e-mail that was sent out.

I'd be starting from scratch with SPG, so while I'd easily be able to hit gold. I'm not sure if I could earn SPG platinum by August 1st.
No, they'll simply combine the nights you earned with Marriott in 2018 with the nights you earned with SPG in 2018, and use that total to determine your 2019 status. It won't matter whether the nights came from Marriott or SPG at that point, and it won't matter if those nights were all in one place or the other or a mix at that point.

So they won't count how many programs (1 or 2) you earned status in in 2018, they'll take the elite nights you earned in all of 2018 and re-compute your elite status for 2019 from that.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 25, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, they'll simply combine the nights you earned with Marriott in 2018 with the nights you earned with SPG in 2018, and use that total to determine your 2019 status.
True, but that wasn't the question.
Originally Posted by flandery
Yes. You actually have until Dec. 31 to earn status under each program's legacy guidelines to count as a year at status level to qualify for the new Lifetime programs. So if you have both 75 nights in Marriott properties and 25 stays/50 nights in SPG properties this year, you will accrue 2 years of "years at Platinum" toward the requirement of 10 years in the new Lifetime Platinum program.

Similar with earning Gold in both programs, by 12/31.
itsallgood and flandery like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by TomBrady
Sucks but from Marriott's standpoint, that's what you get for not spending all 879 SPG nights at a Marriott property.
"To the victor go the spoils"
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I matched my SPG Gold to Marriott Gold last December, so I'm assuming my Marriott Gold will match to Platinum in August, correct? If yes, when would this status be valid until?

The only reason I ask is because I can complete the SPG Platinum challenge before August. Will there be any significant benefit of matching to Marriott Plat via SPG Plat in August instead?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Anish
I matched my SPG Gold to Marriott Gold last December, so I'm assuming my Marriott Gold will match to Platinum in August, correct? If yes, when would this status be valid until?

The only reason I ask is because I can complete the SPG Platinum challenge before August. Will there be any significant benefit of matching to Marriott Plat via SPG Plat in August instead?
There is an entire thread on this in the SPG forum. The short answer is no, you won't be platinum. You will be gold. Only members who earned gold status with the old Marriott rules (50 nights) will get platinum status.

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

I believe at this stage its not clear if your matched status or earned status will be used to determine your aug 18 status.
Plenty of post talking about the issues and Marriott still not yet release their official stance.
(Other than a screenshot from an email allegedly from marriott)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:32 am

The current information is that your matched Marriott Gold will NOT transfer to Platinum in August. Unless that information changes you should complete the SPG challenge as it would secure your PLT status for 2019.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I wonder if one complete SPG plt challenge prior to feb 18 (his plt will be valid up to feb 19 only) will he get his new program plt up to end of 2019 or just up to feb 19 or even demote to his actual night in 2018 status?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I wonder if one complete SPG plt challenge prior to feb 18 (his plt will be valid up to feb 19 only) will he get his new program plt up to end of 2019 or just up to feb 19 or even demote to his actual night in 2018 status?
Surely it would be up until end ‘19. They couldn’t be so mean to offer it only to Feb, could they?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
That's great news! If I have until 12/31, that's plenty of time to hit SPG platinum just based on nights.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:17 am

For SPG challenge, yes they only valid till feb 19 if you completed the challenge before feb 18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.