Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by smgainey
They're giving Marriott members perks that we may not necessarily want or care for. I'd much rather NOT have my points devalued than to have an Ambassador or Your24. If I had wanted the SPG perks then I would have stayed at SPG hotels all these years. You may find it hard to believe but there are those of us for whom SPG's program is not better than Marriott's program.
You are mentioning a devaluation that mostly hasn’t happened yet. I think you’ll find you’re complaining about something that (1) won’t be as bad as you imagine and (2) inevitably was going to happen in due course eventually anyway over the next coming years. Even so, Marriott still is nowhere near the Hilton level of massive devaluation. It isn’t even close.

If they really wanted to give us better perks then they'd do like Hyatt (which is where I would stay if their footprint was big enough) and give the top elites perks such as no resort fees and complimentary parking on award stays (I'd even go so far as to suggest complimentary parking on paid stays as well, or at the very least reserved parking so we don't have to drive all around and to the top of the garage to find a space), and maybe give top elites complimentary breakfast at all properties without exclusions. We don't yet know what their no blackout policy will look like, but if hotels are allowed to reclassify rooms as non-standard or not release standard rooms for award stays (which would essentially be a blackout) then maybe they could allow top elites to book with points even if those rooms aren't open to everyone else for points.

I'm not a fan of Hilton's program, so thanks, but no thanks.
Well, Hyatt has no economy of scale and Marriott has that. That’s a massive difference. Yet Marriott is offering almost as much as Hyatt for fewer nights and with far more properties to satisfy all spenders.

If if you are worried about Marriott and a blackout policy, then you already must know and hate Hyatt hotels and how they ridiculously categorize all but a few rooms as standard to avoid giving out free award rooms! Sorry, but Marriott BEFORE the merger was never as bad as Hyatt is even now with playing games on award availability.

If you think Hyatt’s perks are so much better, you are free to switch your loyalty to Hyatt. I’ve been there, and I know I preferred Starwood...and now Marriott. There just aren’t enough hotels in Hyatt’s portfolio but maybe that doesn’t matter to you as much as not paying resort fees and parking fees?

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Not true. The new Marriott Rewards Premier Visa is the same as the current one. Here is a link to the official page. Click on the second card from the left, Marriott Premier Visa, and scroll down to the Benefits and the third line item is 1 Elite Night Credit per $3000 spent on purchases.
The premier card on that page (that gives the night credit) is going away to new apps once the new card is launched (next week?). Hence why it was mentioned that current card holders of that will be given upgrade offers to swap over to the new card. Id be surprised if current card holders make it to the end of the year before being "forced" upgraded or if they discontinue the elite night credit to force our hand.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

You are mentioning a devaluation that mostly hasn’t happened yet. I think you’ll find you’re complaining about something that (1) won’t be as bad as you imagine and (2) inevitably was going to happen in due course eventually anyway over the next coming years. Even so, Marriott still is nowhere near the Hilton level of massive devaluation. It isn’t even close.

Well, Hyatt has no economy of scale and Marriott has that. That’s a massive difference. Yet Marriott is offering almost as much as Hyatt for fewer nights and with far more properties to satisfy all spenders.

If if you are worried about Marriott and a blackout policy, then you already must know and hate Hyatt hotels and how they ridiculously categorize all but a few rooms as standard to avoid giving out free award rooms! Sorry, but Marriott BEFORE the merger was never as bad as Hyatt is even now with playing games on award availability.

If you think Hyatt’s perks are so much better, you are free to switch your loyalty to Hyatt. I’ve been there, and I know I preferred Starwood...and now Marriott. There just aren’t enough hotels in Hyatt’s portfolio but maybe that doesn’t matter to you as much as not paying resort fees and parking fees?

Of course the devaluation hasn't happened yet, because the new program hasn't started yet. Whenever a devaluation is announced then people who are upset start complaining, they don't wait until it takes effect to complain.

I don't want my points devalued at all, so if even one hotel that currently costs 70k will cost up to 100k in the new program, then that makes me unhappy. I agree that a devaluation was probably going to happen eventually, even without a merger, and I would still be just as unhappy.

I never said that Hilton's program was better. YOU said that those who are upset can switch to Hilton. I said no thank you as I don't like their program. Also, as I stated, I cannot switch to Hyatt because their footprint isn't big enough (although I would much prefer no resort fees and complimentary parking to Your24 and Ambassador), so no, I'm not free to switch to Hyatt.

I haven't tried booking award stays at all Hyatts and all Marriotts, so I can't compare the games they play to avoid award bookings. I can say that I am aware that some Hyatt properties do play games like that, and that Marriott does not require that all available standard rooms be available for award redemptions...their terms and conditions allow hotels to limit the number of award rooms. I hate both practices. Ideally, in my opinion, all hotels would be required to classify a certain percentage of their rooms as "standard" and allow award redemptions on all standard rooms that are available. I don't know if any program does this, but I hope Marriott will with the new program. We shall see.

Last edited by smgainey; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:59 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:38 am

You've quoted a post of mine from here on FlyerTalk, but you haven't at all referred to my post. That is confusing, to say the least.

We are on FlyerTalk, so I'd be grateful if you keep the conversation to what has been posted on FlyerTalk. Everything else has no context. I'm sorry if I used words not to your liking on other blogs, but I am not sure this is the proper place to have such a conversation.

Again, you are pulling information from outside FlyerTalk and asking me to comment without proper context.

But I'll try to answer. For hotels that currently cost 45,000 or 50,000 or 55,000 points or so, I doubt any will be moving into the new Category 8 that at peak can cost as many as 100,000 points. If you know the ins and outs of the Marriott program, then you know that not a single hotel that costs 45,000 points ever would have moved into even the Ritz Carlton Tier 5 category, either. So they aren't moving into the new Category 8.

You again are referring to some posts outside FlyerTalk. Without the context of those, it is impossible to know exactly what we're discussing.

If I do understand you correctly, you seem to believe that current Marriott category 7 hotels are somehow going to end up in the new Category 8. I find that so unlikely as to be not worth consideration. That isn't berating. That is my starkly different opinion.

I am not sure the point of your hypothetical for St Regis hotels becoming as pricey as 150,000 points. St Regis hotels aren't going up in cost by some insane number of points,. Of course, neither are most Marriott or Ritz Carlton properties. You are assuming a massive devaluation that just hasn't occurred. I believe the hysteria perpetuated by some of a massive devaluation simply isn't accurate. I believe your assessment of a 40% devaluation of Marriott points is also inaccurate and extremely misleading. I'm sorry that we so disagree.

As you and many Marriott elites are now discovering, the average daily rates for many of the luxury brand hotels in the SPG portfolio are significantly more than those of the luxury brands of Marriott/Ritz Carlton. The fact that even many W hotels and resorts have ADRs higher than those of many Ritz Carlton properties is no surprise to me, but it will be a surprise to many MR/RC elites. And that doesn't even consider the many top Luxury Collection and of course many St Regis properties. Too many RC people have assumed that RC was equivalent to St Regis. I'm willing to bet the new categories are going to make it more obvious that was isn't true.

With the ADRs and award demand taken together, the Unified Marriott chart is going to put a lot more St Regis and top Luxury Collection and W hotels (and even Design Hotels) in Category 8 than Ritz Carlton properties. All you need to do is look at the current Tier 5 RC properties and see that there are far more category 7 St Regis, Luxury Collection, Design Hotels, and W hotels in comparison. Everything else will filter down from there. There are going to be far more SPG portfolio properties in the Unified Marriott Category 7, too, though now I expect we will see plenty of Ritz Carlton properties joined by other Luxury Collection, St Regis, W, and Design hotels, as well as pricier Westin, Le Meridien, and even JW properties. If we see any JW properties in Category 8 I will be shocked.

This new reset is why there won't be the massive devaluation for Marriott/RC properties--because there just weren't nearly as many excellent 5* properties in the Marriott and even RC portfolios when compared with SPG! You don't seem to believe or recognize that yet.,..but I am certain you will once the new chart is revealed. Even these first chart releases already show this.

I had no idea about what types of hotels at which you stay. I think it's great that you will qualify for Ambassador status--which for you and any Marriott Platinums will be a very new experience. I wish you well with your new status, and hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
I never said that Marriott hotels that cost 45k points would go cost 100k points. You falsely accused me of saying that because you saw someone else say it. I responded to you but you ignored my response, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it here. Try looking at your posts on that blog for reference and context.

Anyway, to explain the math, if a Tier 5 Ritz Carlton goes from 70k to 100k then that is a 40% increase. You have been berating me (and others, apparently) for being upset about this. Therefore, I posed a hypothetical situation for a St Regis going from 105k to 150k, which is also a 40% increase, and asked if you would be upset if that happened. I'm trying to get you to put yourself in my shoes. If your points were going to lose value like that, wouldn't you be unhappy about it? I can't imagine that anyone would be celebrating. Why is this so difficult to understand?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:57 am

But I'll try to answer. For hotels that currently cost 45,000 or 50,000 or 55,000 points or so, I doubt any will be moving into the new Category 8 that at peak can cost as many as 100,000 points. If you know the ins and outs of the Marriott program, then you know that not a single hotel that costs 45,000 points ever would have moved into even the Ritz Carlton Tier 5 category, either. So they aren't moving into the new Category 8.
I do know the ins and outs of Marriott Rewards well enough to know that there are no Marriott's that cost more than 45k points per night for a standard room. I don't know where you are getting 50k and 55k (the fact that you refuse to admit this error is disturbing to me). Please stop talking about current Category 9 properties moving into the new Category 8. I have never made that claim. YOU are the one making that claim.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by swintec
The premier card on that page (that gives the night credit) is going away to new apps once the new card is launched (next week?). Hence why it was mentioned that current card holders of that will be given upgrade offers to swap over to the new card. Id be surprised if current card holders make it to the end of the year before being "forced" upgraded or if they discontinue the elite night credit to force our hand.
I didn't see where it said that on the Arriving soon page. Actually quite the contrary. But I guess I'll find out since I currently have the Marriott Premier Visa. I haven't decided yet if going to the Premier Plus Visa is worth it. I'll wait until the early adopters vet it.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slowly
It's natural to not like stupid and irrational rules. Why would SPG object if a person wants to stay 5 nights in a suite and 2 nights in a standard room? Makes no sense to me at all.
And there’s nothing wrong with that as per the SPG rules currently in force. Just book two stays, one to which you will apply the SNA’s and the other to which you won’t.

The hotel will of course ask you to leave your suite and change you to a room; they might even ask that you checkout and re-checkin to your new room on that day. And, if you’re lucky, you might get to stay in that suite thanks to your platinum suite upgrade benefit.

There’s no provision — none at all — that requires that back to back reservations be regarded as a single stay for all program purposes, namely the application of SNA’s. There are however provisions that state that for the sole purpose of elite qualification and for any ongoing promotions that are stay-dependant (for example, 3 stays = 1 FNA), consecutive stays at the same property will be counted as a single Eligible Stay. Additionally, in the case of BRG reservations, any consecutive stays will earn only one BRG reward (this will be so even if the stays are at different properties but in the same general location).
rogo likes this.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:19 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I do know the ins and outs of Marriott Rewards well enough to know that there are no Marriott's that cost more than 45k points per night for a standard room. I don't know where you are getting 50k and 55k (the fact that you refuse to admit this error is disturbing to me). Please stop talking about current Category 9 properties moving into the new Category 8. I have never made that claim. YOU are the one making that claim.
I was being facetious.

You and others continue to talk about a massive devaluation that hasn’t happened. You’re entitled to scream bloody murder about a devaluation that hasn’t happened yet as much as I am entitled to refer to those screams as silly.

That some current Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels will end up in the new Category 8 is almost certain. For those properties, they will go from Tier 5 70,000 points to Category 8 85,000 points. That is a slight devaluation for Marriott points (and a discount based on Starwood points). For the new peak redemptions for Category 8, it is true that redemptions will go for 100,000 points, but you can’t call that a 40% devaluation for the entire program when those same Category 8 awards also go off-peak about as often for the same 70,000 points as before!

Also, the 100,000 points is only a devaluation for Marriott points for the few Tier 5 properties going to peak Category 8—it’s actually a discount off the equivalent 105,000 Starwood points for a much larger group of peak Category 7 hotel awards now. Which makes it a discount for everyone for far more properties that currently are Starwood Category 7 than are RC Tier 5. So the net impact is STILL a discount over current rates more often than an increase over current rates.

Your cries of devaluation are overstated. They consider only the properties where it costs more and ignores all the more examples where it has to cost less.

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
There's a good post up at Traveling for Miles that looks at the point redemption examples Marriott provided and does some analysis. One of the key points made is that you really can't evaluate the new redemption levels without knowing the mix/timing of peak/standard/off-peak pricing. For those folks that tend to redeem their points at peak times (holidays, summertime, etc.) the point pricing is clearly going to be higher. For those that that have the freedom to travel in off-peak periods it will be lower.

Seems probable that the point pricing will mimic the cash pricing, so in big cities be prepared for peak pricing during most weekdays and off-peak on the weekends. Resort pricing will be peak in peak season and off peak in low season.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:46 am

You and others continue to talk about a massive devaluation that hasn’t happened. You’re entitled to scream bloody murder about a devaluation that hasn’t happened yet as much as I am entitled to refer to those screams as silly.
Once again you are putting words into my mouth. I have never talked about a "massive devaluation". Perhaps someone else has, but I have not. I said that I don't want to pay up to 100k points per night for a hotel that currently costs 70k points per night. My displeasure is not specific to the merger because I am always unhappy about devaluations. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop attributing words to me that I did not say. Thank you.

For the new peak redemptions for Category 8, it is true that redemptions will go for 100,000 points, but you can’t call that a 40% devaluation for the entire program when those same Category 8 awards also go off-peak about as often for the same 70,000 points as before!
I never said that it was a 40% devaluation for the entire program. I said that the specific scenario I mentioned (going for 70k to 100k) was a 40% devaluation. And I don't want then to ever cost more than 70k points per night.

Your cries of devaluation are overstated. They consider only the properties where it costs more and ignores all the more examples where it has to cost less.
I have sited a very specific scenario, which is completely true and accurate. I have not mentioned the other tiers or categories because I like to use my points at Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels that cost 70k points per night.

Last edited by smgainey; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:00 am Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Once again you are putting words into my mouth. I have never talked about a "massive devaluation". Perhaps someone else has, but I have not. I said that I don't want to pay up to 100k points per night for a hotel that currently costs 70k points per night. My displeasure is not specific to the merger because I am always unhappy about devaluations. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop attributing words to me that I did not say. Thank you.
Wonderful--you and I now can agree that there is no massive devaluation.

Apparently, I misconstrued your charge of 40% devaluation as massive. You must have meant minimal? My apologies.

You don't want to pay 100K points/night for a hotel that currently costs 70K points per night. Wonderful--don't pay it! Problem solved. You're most welcome to stay at those same properties off peak when they still are 70K points/night or find other options. Freedom of choice is alive and well.

Of course, we still don’t know which of the Tier 5 RC properties will move to the new Category 8. So I’d say that everyone’s still getting their panties in a bunch for no definitive reason quite yet.

You're unhappy about devaluations. No one likes devaluations. Yet the rest of us accept that they are a simple fact of life with loyalty programs. If you don't want devaluations, perhaps you might avoid all loyalty programs to save yourself the displeasure?

I have sited a very specific scenario, which is completely true and accurate. I have not mentioned the other tiers or categories because I like to use my points at Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels that cost 70k points per night.
In the case of this loyalty program, while you complain only about some or most of the current Tier 5 Ritz Carlton properties (we still don't know) going from the current 70,000 points to either 70K-85K-100K points, I also consider that the some or most of the current Category 7 SPG properties (we still don't know) are going from the current 90K-105K points to 70K-85K-100K--a pretty obvious discount and revaluation. actually.

Since there are far more current SPG Category 7 properties than there are current Tier 5 RC properties, there is more to be pleased about than to complain about IMO. The fact that some or most of the SPG Category 7 properties are so much better and more appealing than many or most of the Tier 5 RC properties is just icing on the cake. Tier 5 RC includes Naples, Boston, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, and Dubai! RC had you hood-winked into believing those were world class hotels as good as SPG Category 7 examples like the StR Bora Bora, StR San Francisco, StR New York, The Chatwal NYC, Gritti Palace Venice, Mystique Santorini, Prince de Galles Paris, StR Florence, StR Punta Mita, StR Bal Harbour, W South Beach, Canyon Suites at the Phoenician Scottsdale, President Wilson Geneva, W Verbier, Al Maha Dubai,. StR Bali, W Bali, Suiran Kyoto, StR Maldives, W Maldives, etc. Sorry, but you're winning a LOT more than you're losing--you just don't realize it yet.

Certainly, there is at least just as much if not more to be pleased about with the new Category 8 options as there is to complain about. You are only looking at the negatives without any consideration of the substantive positives.

In the scheme of loyalty programs, the fact that so many extraordinary SPG Category 7 properties, many to most of which are superior even to the Tier 5 RC properties, are going DOWN in redemption value is extraordinary. Extraordinarily positive.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Apparently, I misconstrued your charge of 40% devaluation as massive. You must have meant minimal?

You don't want to pay 100K points/night for a hotel that currently costs 70K points per night. Wonderful--don't pay it! Problem solved. You're most welcome to stay at those same properties off peak when they still are 70K points/night or find other options. Freedom of choice is alive and well.

You're unhappy about devaluations. No one likes devaluations. Yet the rest of us accept that they are a simple fact of life with loyalty programs. If you don't want devaluations, perhaps you might avoid all loyalty programs to save yourself the displeasure?

In the case of this loyalty program, while you complain only about some or most of the current Tier 5 Ritz Carlton properties (we still don't know) going from the current 70,000 points to either 70K-85K-100K points, I also consider that the some or most of the current Category 7 SPG properties (we still don't know) are going from the current 90K-105K points to 70K-85K-100K--a pretty obvious discount and revaluation. actually.

Since there are far more current SPG Category 7 properties than there are current Tier 5 RC properties, there is more to be pleased about than to complain about IMO. The fact that some or most of the SPG Category 7 properties are better than some or more of the Tier 5 RC properties is just icing on the cake.

Certainly, there is at least just as much if not more to be pleased about with the new Category 8 options as there is to complain about. You are only looking at the negatives without any consideration of the positives.

In the scheme of loyalty programs, the fact that so many extraordinary SPG Category 7 properties, many to most of which are superior even to the Tier 5 RC properties, are going DOWN in redemption value is extraordinary. Extraordinarily positive.
I think the SPG congregation can use your sermon. Maybe preach over there too? Take a look over at the Starwood forum.

ETA: I'm with you though, program changes are what they are...changes, devaluation, etc will continue to occur.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Apparently, I misconstrued your charge of 40% devaluation as massive. You must have meant minimal? My apologies.

Of course, we still don’t know which of the Tier 5 RC properties will move to the new Category 8. So I’d say that everyone’s still getting their panties in a bunch for no definitive reason quite yet.

Since there are far more current SPG Category 7 properties than there are current Tier 5 RC properties, there is more to be pleased about than to complain about IMO. The fact that some or most of the SPG Category 7 properties are so much better and more appealing than many or most of the Tier 5 RC properties is just icing on the cake. Tier 5 RC includes Naples, Boston, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, and Dubai! RC had you hood-winked into believing those were world class hotels as good as SPG Category 7 examples like the StR Bora Bora, StR San Francisco, StR New York, The Chatwal NYC, Gritti Palace Venice, Mystique Santorini, Prince de Galles Paris, StR Florence, StR Punta Mita, StR Bal Harbour, W South Beach, Canyon Suites at the Phoenician Scottsdale, President Wilson Geneva, W Verbier, Al Maha Dubai,. StR Bali, W Bali, Suiran Kyoto, StR Maldives, W Maldives, etc. Sorry, but you're winning a LOT more than you're losing--you just don't realize it yet.

Certainly, there is at least just as much if not more to be pleased about with the new Category 8 options as there is to complain about. You are only looking at the negatives without any consideration of the substantive positives.

I never said that there weren't good things about this merger. Please don't tell me what I do or do not realize. Those are your ignorant assumptions. You seem to think that if someone is unhappy about one specific thing then that means she's unhappy about everything.

Obviously if I want to use points in the new program to stay at a Ritz Carlton that is in the new Category 8 during a peak time then I will have to pay 100k points if that's what they charge (assuming I have enough points). I'm not just going to forgo my vacation or stop participating in loyalty programs. I am also not hoodwinked. Please don't assume that I want to go to the locations for the hotels that you listed. I have been wanting to visit St Thomas for a while and the Ritz Carlton is the best hotel there for which I can use Marriott points. Your point would be valid if there was a better St Regis or Luxury Collection hotel in St Thomas but there is not. We don't yet know if this particular hotel will be Category 8 or when peak times will be, but I have a specific redemption in mind next year for which I've been saving points based on 70k points per night, so if they increase the cost to 100k points per night before I'm able to book my stay (since the hotel was devastated by a hurricane they will not allow bookings even though it's scheduled to open in January) then I may not be able to go on that trip due to lack of points. Can you understand this?

I accept your apology for putting words into my mouth, but I would also appreciate it if you would stop with the sarcasm and condescending tone, and stop making assumptions about what I think or value. Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I have never talked about a "massive devaluation". Perhaps someone else has, but I have not. I said that I don't want to pay up to 100k points per night for a hotel that currently costs 70k points per night. My displeasure is not specific to the merger because I am always unhappy about devaluations. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop attributing words to me that I did not say. Thank you.
The phrase "massive devaluation" might be from another thread here on FlyerTalk's Marriott Rewards forum. The original topic name of that thread was "Massive Points Devaluation Coming In August."

The OP based this incendiary statement entirely on speculation after seeing Marriott's new Award Chart for free nights, effective in August. The chart simply showed that there would be 7 categories in August, and that an 8th category and peak/off-peak would be added in 2019. The chart had nothing about specific hotels.

The only clue from Marriott at that point had been the initial announcement on April 16, 2018, carried live on Facebook. David Flueck, Senior Vice President, Global Loyalty, said, "We're moving to one combined award chart, that's even better value for your points. As we move to one award chart, the amazing thing is we have more hotels that are going down in cost than are going up in cost."

The topic name was changed by a moderator to "SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?"

The thread continued to include assertions of a massive devaluation. There was even a complaint about having "SPECULATION" as part of the topic name.

When Marriott published Preview August Redemption Rates yesterday, it showed some hotels going down, some staying the same, and some going up. Yes, only a tiny fraction of Marriott's properties were listed (after all, it's just a preview), but it seems likely that it's indicative of what to expect.

Honestly, doing a "massive" one-time devaluation -- alienating those who have been loyal to SPG and Rewards -- would be bad business. Marriott is smarter than that.

Category creep over time works much better.

It's always a good idea for members to use points rather than letting them sit and lose value. I've earned over a 3 million Rewards points, but my current balance is below 300,000 (and that includes points I transferred from SPG). I've used travel packages to stay at top hotels in London back when they were category 6.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 24, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Resort pricing will be peak in peak season and off peak in low season.
The question is what is off-peak in places like Hawaii or Aruba, which are pretty popular year-round. Hawaii is always busy and Aruba falls outside the hurricane zone.

The same question applies for London or Paris.

London is pretty busy with tourists year-round, especially with Americans now coming over in the fall and early winter for NFL games. Paris in August is empty, if you're French but not if you're a tourist from abroad.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to dynamic-pricing if it meant that a hotel could drop a category or two in off-peak because the reality is places like Florida or the islands of the Caribbean in the hurricane zone are empty from May through October. Some of the resorts even reduce staff and services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.