Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The program parameters are clear. The new written materials are clear. Obviously in an attempt to keep the news close to the vest it was not shared with employees outside of those within Marriott Rewards until the last minute. The confusion seems to be from a lack of communication to employees and not confusion from those running the program. Flueck's answer to the question was simple, clear, repeated and gave the specific example of a current SPG Gold with status match being Gold in the new scheme. As much as a few people with heads in the sand keep saying they believe a blogger who interpreted something a travel writer from some obscure publication heard from a marketing employee in Asia most people believe the head of the program who established the new rules. And his answer makes sense. If all SPG Golds were going to be Plat because of a status match the SPG flier would have shown Golds were going to be Plat instead of showing Gold to Gold but allowing some complicated hokey-pokey for which all members would qualify. Why would there have even been an SPG flier if a Marriott status match would be count?

BTW, if the Asian Marketing person or a blogger had a question about the new program, don't you think they would ask Flueck and go with his answer? He is the ultimate SME on this so why would anyone think he is wrong and the blogger or remote employee or travel report is right and he is wrong? If he answered the question incorrectly it would have been edited, corrected or not released. While it might not be the answer one wants to hear, there is no confusion. Gold to Gold without status match counting is the answer.
I already pointed out in the equivalent Starwood thread how your high-handed dismissal of Raffles' disclosure of his meeting with the Europe Loyalty VP was a misrepresentation. The VP actually went to the trouble of saying he would seek clarification from others and then returned some time later with the answer that SPG Golds (with linked MR Gold) would get Platinum. You dismissed that as nothing but hacks working for obscure travel magazines, bloggers and Asian marketing people.

If it's all so clear, how is it that none of the status conversion questions in the WIKI on the Starwood page have answers, a full 4 days after the announcement? To you, the matching of Marriott Golds via SPG/Amex to Gold may appear to be self-evident truth, which should not be called into question or open for further discussion. Fine, so why can't anyone out there in Marriott World post up an actual (written) confirmation of the status conversion policy?

If all SPG Golds were going to be Plat because of a status match the SPG flier would have shown Golds were going to be Plat instead of showing Gold to Gold but allowing some complicated hokey-pokey for which all members would qualify. Why would there have even been an SPG flier if a Marriott status match would be count?
This might seem outlandish to FTers but not every person who stays in SPG or MR hotels has linked their accounts. Don't assume that what is a no-brainer to us is as obvious to the travelling public in general. My partner was SPG Gold and she had no idea of it. Even though I'd reminded her about it a few times, eventually I ended up doing the linking of her accounts myself after she logged me in. I'm sure she's not unique and there are many others out there who have SPG Gold but never got round to linking their accounts.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've only been in one SPG Resort with a lounge (Westin PVR) but its lounge was pretty much like an average (well maybe below average) domestic US Marriott lounge. I know at least a couple of Marriott resorts (Cancun, Cabo) have lounges that provide all day food and drinks but you have to pay for access. Not sure how widespread either of these approaches are.

I know you're not a fan of lounges. That being said, have you been in SPG lounges at resorts that have more substantive lounges who historically provided free access to elites?
Sheraton Full Moon Maldives lounge was a godsend to save money as everything is so expensive there, and there is nowhere else to go! Westin Turtle Bay in Mauritius has a lounge but most of the room rates include half board, so the only real advantage is free alcohol before dinner.

The two I would really miss are the Sheraton Waikiki and Moana Surfrider lounges. Both are spectacular, have free alcohol and decent evening offerings.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Andrew DCA
for the 2018 elite qualification year, can we aggregate elite nights from SPG Amex and Marriott Chase credit cards (in addition to actual nights)?
My question exactly! Hopefully and possibly Marriott will honor, let's see.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:51 am

I had a question on suite nights. Does this mean you only get upgraded 5 or 10 nights a year. I've never heard of this before the announcement.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by boardkicker1015
I had a question on suite nights. Does this mean you only get upgraded 5 or 10 nights a year. I've never heard of this before the announcement.
After Aug. 1, you get 5 SNAs when you hit 50 nights and another 5 SNAs when you hit 75 nights. Before Aug. 1, you get 10 SNAs when you hit 50 nights.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
No. Elites may otherwise qualify for upgrades upon checkin.

This is more of a special upgrade that legacy SPG can explain better.

Currently, when I check in Sunday night, I should get upgraded as a Marriott Plat Premier. If I was an SPG Plat at an SPG property, it would be the same.

On the other hand, if I was an SPG Plat at an SPG Property, I could request an SNA in advance and if they had availability, I would get it. Seems like my experience on AA, I request an upgrade upfront and sometimes I clear in advance, Other times I can clear at the gate.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by bhrubin

After Aug. 1, you get 5 SNAs when you hit 50 nights and another 5 SNAs when you hit 75 nights. Before Aug. 1, you get 10 SNAs when you hit 50 nights.
I believe he asked night vs stay. SNAs should be for stay not night.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yurtripper
This might seem outlandish to FTers but not every person who stays in SPG or MR hotels has linked their accounts. Don't assume that what is a no-brainer to us is as obvious to the travelling public in general. My partner was SPG Gold and she had no idea of it. Even though I'd reminded her about it a few times, eventually I ended up doing the linking of her accounts myself after she logged me in. I'm sure she's not unique and there are many others out there who have SPG Gold but never got round to linking their accounts.
So all SPG Golds could be Plat if they link accounts but Marriott is not going to let them know? Instead of instructing those reading the SPG flier to link accounts they are going to let them become Gold and let the fun ensue when those guests find out they could have been Plat but that information was withheld? Marriott does not engage in deceptive business practices like that nor would it set itself up for the obvious pushback from members who followed the flier only to find that Marriott withheld information.

People like Raffles are interpreting the policy set by David Flueck who is in charge of setting the policy. On Tuesday he clearly said present SPG Golds will be Gold in the new program; status match does not count. Anyone else is interpreting his statements and rules. At this point because a couple senior team members have apparently gone rouge and given information that contradicts the marketing materials and the SVP's statement, Marriott may need to change course, but if they do so it will be clear and public rather than kept secret from members who followed the Website and flier instructions. If that happens, it will cost Marriott money which would likely also end Peggy Fang Roe her career. There would be no confusion if there was only the marketing materials and David K's.

The best information always comes from the source. If you want to know how the program works you go to the executive in charge who led the team that made the changes and signed off on them all. You don't go to someone his team briefed like a remote employee or a blogger. For example, if you needed a heart transplant in the late sixties you went to Christiaan Bernard, not somebody half a world away who once got briefed by him.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Each suite night is good for one night

If you make a reservation for 7 nights and want a suite upgrade, that costs you 7 suite night upgrades or certificates or whatever they are called

If you make a 7 day reservation you can't do a partial suite upgrade - all nights or none

But, these are guaranteed vs the normal check in maybe upgrade....
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The Australian article in which Ms Roe was credited with the erroneous statement has been updated and corrected. Here is the link and here is the quote:
Under the new program, you’ll be matched to Platinum Elite, Marriott has confirmed, following initial confusion around Marriott Rewards Gold members being given Platinum Elite status in the new program, but SPG Gold members only getting Gold Elite status going forward, when under the current system, having SPG Gold gets your Marriott Gold when you link your accounts.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I believe he asked night vs stay. SNAs should be for stay not night.
Each Suite NIght Award is for 1 night. Always has been with Starwood, and it seems that Marriott will continue that for its new program. Not for stays.

If you prefer suites awarded by stays, you have Hyatt’s Global Suite Upgrades available to you that are good on booking for up to 7 nights. Of course, you’ll need 60 nights to get 4 GSUs. That’s a lot harder to achieve considering how few Hyatts there are.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
So all SPG Golds could be Plat if they link accounts but Marriott is not going to let them know? Instead of instructing those reading the SPG flier to link accounts they are going to let them become Gold and let the fun ensue when those guests find out they could have been Plat but that information was withheld? Marriott does not engage in deceptive business practices like that nor would it set itself up for the obvious pushback from members who followed the flier only to find that Marriott withheld information.

People like Raffles are interpreting the policy set by David Flueck who is in charge of setting the policy. On Tuesday he clearly said present SPG Golds will be Gold in the new program; status match does not count. Anyone else is interpreting his statements and rules. At this point because a couple senior team members have apparently gone rouge and given information that contradicts the marketing materials and the SVP's statement, Marriott may need to change course, but if they do so it will be clear and public rather than kept secret from members who followed the Website and flier instructions. If that happens, it will cost Marriott money which would likely also end Peggy Fang Roe her career. There would be no confusion if there was only the marketing materials and David K's.

The best information always comes from the source. If you want to know how the program works you go to the executive in charge who led the team that made the changes and signed off on them all. You don't go to someone his team briefed like a remote employee or a blogger. For example, if you needed a heart transplant in the late sixties you went to Christiaan Bernard, not somebody half a world away who once got briefed by him.
Quick question - have you been reading the debate about LTPP? There's a bunch of conflicting info coming out of Marriott on whether the cutoff date is Aug 1 or Dec 31. As users like pinniped point out, there's still no definitive answer on this and so those who potentially have a shot at LTPP are left wondering what to do. The situation is just the same with SPG Gold - there's a bunch of 'answers' but no incontrovertible definitive answer that's posted up there for all of us to see. Instead, you're constructing arguments as to why SPG Gold can only possibly get Gold and so we should consider the matter put to bed - and all of this is based on interpreting a single video interview and nothing else (nothing that's written down and therefore capable of being read by lawyers).
Is Flueck infallible, like the Pope? If he truly is the font of all wisdom and incapable of error then it's a pity he never got the chance to tell TPG during that interview what the cutoff date for LTPP will be.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've only been in one SPG Resort with a lounge (Westin PVR) but its lounge was pretty much like an average (well maybe below average) domestic US Marriott lounge. I know at least a couple of Marriott resorts (Cancun, Cabo) have lounges that provide all day food and drinks but you have to pay for access. Not sure how widespread either of these approaches are.

I know you're not a fan of lounges. That being said, have you been in SPG lounges at resorts that have more substantive lounges who historically provided free access to elites?
Many or most of legacy Starwood's Hawaii properties in the Sheraton and Westin brands have lounges accessible to elites.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Sheraton Full Moon Maldives lounge was a godsend to save money as everything is so expensive there, and there is nowhere else to go! Westin Turtle Bay in Mauritius has a lounge but most of the room rates include half board, so the only real advantage is free alcohol before dinner.

The two I would really miss are the Sheraton Waikiki and Moana Surfrider lounges. Both are spectacular, have free alcohol and decent evening offerings.
I wouldn't call the Moana Surfrider Westin's lounge "spectacular." Good for a domestic lounge at a resort, but not spectacular.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

The Australian article in which Ms Roe was credited with the erroneous statement has been updated and corrected. Here is the link and here is the quote:
Great. So, when everyone is a platinum nobody is a platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.