Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I may have missed it in the mountain of posts and the announcement from Marriott, but does anyone know how many rooms we'll get credit for (for earning points and for elite night credit) in the new program?

As someone who almost never books fewer than three rooms, this is of crucial import to me. I'm guessing that they continue with points earning for up to three rooms, but I don't know for certain. I have no idea if they're only giving 1 night credit (like Marriott) or multiple nights credit (like Starwood) for multiple rooms. If I can only earn points on a single room, that will be a massive downgrade for me. If I will be credited for more than one night toward elite status, that's probably an upgrade (though I am likely to hit 100 nights without being credited for more than one room).
A FT post had a video link to The Points Guy interview with David Flueck, SVP of Global Loyalty for Marriott International. David said the Marriott rules for multiple rooms will be the standard going forward. So you would get elite credit for 1 room, but can get points for more than 1 room. Here is the link to the FT post with the video in it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29657355-post2843.html
lexdevil likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AA (EXP), SPG/Marriott (Platinum)
for the 2018 elite qualification year, can we aggregate elite nights from SPG Amex and Marriott Chase credit cards (in addition to actual nights)?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I won't say that your posts are prone to hyperbole, or written in a tone that's designed to generate more heat than light in a discussion, since others have frequently noted this already and saved me the bother.
Starting a sentence with "I won't say" doesn't undo the fact that you just said it.

To me it's akin to the word "but". Ignore everything in a sentence preceding the word "but".
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Obviously in an attempt to keep the news close to the vest it was not shared with employees outside of those within Marriott Rewards until the last minute. The confusion seems to be from a lack of communication to employees and not confusion from those running the program.
What's amazing is that Marriott was obviously the one leaking everything for 7-10 days. They clearly leaked the worst-case scenario to generate publicity and favorable press. Remember during the launch when Marriott's vice president of loyalty said (at the opening!) that he read all the blogs and listened to everyone.

They had all that time to provide clear, concise and accurate information to legacy Marriott Rewards and legacy SPG customer service agents, corporate sales staff, and last, but not least, front line workers and managers at individual properties.

I've spoken to three properties that I regularly book and two sales staff in Marriott's central sales office. Not a single one has any information on how Rewarding Events is changing. The only answer is a single FAQ on the Marriott website that implies there will be a new "construct" for Rewarding Events. I have five events for post-August 1 out for RFP. I also have four signed contracts for events in August. This is ridiculous.

And don't get me started on not having a new name for the unified program until 2019. I'm sure the credit card companies aren't going to appreciate re-issuing all of the new cards in 2019 to reflect the new name.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:51 am

I received Gold status via Taste of Gold through Feb. 2019.

I’m going to assume that Aug.1, I will be Platinum until Feb. 2019. At the rate I’m going, I’ll have 50 nights by the end of 2018 and will be able to maintain Platinum through 2019. The only thing I care about is the late check-out.

I also have the AMEX Platinum card but will be reconsidering whether to keep it. There will be much analysis upcoming!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jeanie
A FT post had a video link to The Points Guy interview with David Flueck, SVP of Global Loyalty for Marriott International. David said the Marriott rules for multiple rooms will be the standard going forward. So you would get elite credit for 1 room, but can get points for more than 1 room. Here is the link to the FT post with the video in it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29657355-post2843.html
The Points Guy's interview might as well been an infomercial for Marriott. I watched it and couldn't believe how deferential he was. It's unfortunate that folks take him as a serious, trusted source of news. He's a credit card pimp, plain and simple. He depends on credit cards for money so he's unlikely to be overly critical.

Thankfully, some of the bloggers for The Points Guy are trained journalists. The quality of the writing and reporting has improved, but I don't like the fact that they depend on credit card revenue for their existence. At least with newspapers there is a wall of separation between the journalists and the business operation.
paolo64 and yurtripper like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Points Guy's interview might as well been an infomercial for Marriott. I watched it and couldn't believe how deferential he was.
Yet on another thread someone is saying there was a gotcha question about SPG Gold members that surprised Flueck so much that he gave the wrong answer when he slowly and methodically explained status in the new program would be based on current earned status not matched, so if you earned SPG Gold and received Marriott Gold by status match you will be Gold in the new program. TPG was reading prepared questions off index cards that had obviously been either run by Flueck before the interview or maybe even given to TPG by Flueck himself. Someone is still claiming it was so hard hitting it rattled Flueck.
paolo64 likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 19, 2018 at 6:40 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:42 am

What stood out to me from the video was the fact they touted a new award chart but have not shared what category will be assigned to each individual property. IMO , that task should have been completed prior to the announcement.
paolo64 and yurtripper like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
What stood out to me from the video was the fact they touted a new award chart but have not shared what category will be assigned to each individual property. IMO , that task should have been completed prior to shared at the same time as the announcement.
Corrected it. Do you really think the cats have not been assigned yet? Marriott is trying to keep the news good this week. Of course they know the new cats, of course they stink and there will be a devaluation but that story will be buried another day and not creep into the one about how great the merger is for everyone.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
What stood out to me from the video was the fact they touted a new award chart but have not shared what category will be assigned to each individual property. IMO , that task should have been completed prior to the announcement.

I think they do have them completed. They are delaying as it will be subject to adjustements (moderate) based on how much blowback they get from current members to the new changes. I expect the same thing once they are ready to announce the peak/off peak dates.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:09 am
Suspended

Not only that, but The Points Guy claimed the new award chart was no big deal. Of course he said that. He's a credit card-pimping blogger. Who's going to click the links and give him money by signing up for a credit card if he acknowledges that award chart is greatly devalued?

Look. I get that some people disagree about the new award-redemption categories. But until Marriott releases the categories and is transparent about what constitutes "peak" and "off-peak" dynamic-pricing it appears to be a devaluation. Of course, I would love to be wrong. Prove me wrong, Marriott by making sure hotels like the Newark airport Marriott or Marriott County Hall in London aren't category 7 and category 8, respectively, in the new chart.
tfred and paolo64 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Except at Resorts which is a loss to all the past SPG loyalists, who had that, even though I recognize that it was always a MR rule.
Actually, I believe that (rather oddly) the original SPG brand resorts WILL offer lounge access to Plats as they always have, and the original Marriott brand resorts WILL NOT offer lounge acess to Plats as they always haven't!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Actually, I believe that (rather oddly) the original SPG brand resorts WILL offer lounge access to Plats as they always have, and the original Marriott brand resorts WILL NOT offer lounge acess to Plats as they always haven't!
I've only been in one SPG Resort with a lounge (Westin PVR) but its lounge was pretty much like an average (well maybe below average) domestic US Marriott lounge. I know at least a couple of Marriott resorts (Cancun, Cabo) have lounges that provide all day food and drinks but you have to pay for access. Not sure how widespread either of these approaches are.

I know you're not a fan of lounges. That being said, have you been in SPG lounges at resorts that have more substantive lounges who historically provided free access to elites?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I know you're not a fan of lounges. That being said, have you been in SPG lounges at resorts that have more substantive lounges who historically provided free access to elites?
Unfortunate to your query, but with my own delightful glee, I can tell you that I’ve only been once ever to any lounge or club at any resort of any hotel/resort brand at which I’ve ever stayed—and that was at the Shangri-La Guilin to make my husband happy. As you say, I’m not a fan! (My husband, on the other hand, poor schmuck that he is, definitely likes a lounge or club—or anywhere else he can get free food or water or alcohol. But I never pay attention to anything he tells me, anyway.)
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've only been in one SPG Resort with a lounge (Westin PVR) but its lounge was pretty much like an average (well maybe below average) domestic US Marriott lounge. I know at least a couple of Marriott resorts (Cancun, Cabo) have lounges that provide all day food and drinks but you have to pay for access. Not sure how widespread either of these approaches are.

Sheraton Na Trang, the Westin Siray Bay Phuket used to have separate Plat amenities on it's Moon Deck ( I think it was called) although recent posts suggest that this has fallen by the wayside and replaced with drinks at the bar: Sheraton Sand key. Tiny and crowded but manned by incredible staff who kept your drinks topped up . Free alcohol not that common in the US IME; Westin Moana Waikiki, Sheraton Maui ( never been in their lounge so won't comment), Sheraton Waikiki ( never been in either) , Sheraton Carlsbad. I'm sure that there are lots more. In fact the SPG site suggests that there are 336 SPG Resorts, 70 of which are Westin ,98 Sheraton and 41 Le Meridien, all of which would theoretically allow lounge access if they had one. I think it was a brand standard for Sheraton at least. More hit and miss with the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.