Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jrothenb
Certainly take your points, but consider also that Marriott Rewards goes back to 1983. Starwood Preferred Guest wasn't even rolled out until (I believe) 2000. One would have had to earn SPG PLT in 10 of the program's 18 year history in order to qualify for SPG LTP! I'm no company insider, but I can't believe there are very many of us SPG LTP given the fact that one would have had to have been loyal nearly from the start, and for the first few years, no one even knew what/who Starwood was anyway. We've been super duper loyal, and have (perhaps almost evangelically) been directly responsible for a lot of the growth and success that caused Marriott to want to acquire Starwood in the first place. We're just asking for a fair shake in the new scheme, and for our place to be recognized and appreciated.
Yes but ... after seeing a number of comments on here from SPG plats on how they qualified, its apparent to me that on a yearly basis, someone could qualify with as little as 17 actual nights if they booked three rooms per night under their name. Others qualified on 25 stays which could have been short. So 10 years as an SPG plat could have been less than 200 actual nights but would have credit for 500. In comparison, as a MR plat with a credit card, they needed 60 actual nights or 600 actual nights in 10 years. Yes, there has been rollover for some period but I only receive rollover for years where I stay more than 75 nights. It has never been a benefit to me but it could be to someone who has a short travel year because of an illness, loss of job etc. It's Marriott's way of protecting those people and, for example, Marriott retained my status over the years during various deployments that cut back my travel.

So, for my two cents, I think the method of handling this was very fair. I don't think, on the other hand, that its fare to take a LTP on the SPG side with a couple of hundred actual nights and give them the same status as someone who has been in the Marriott program since 87 and has 2500-2700 actual nights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Apparently there will be a contest for loyalty members to rename the company sometime this year. New name in 2019.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jtmann05
One thing I've found as being pretty funny is that the hotel staff and managers don't seem to really know what's going on. I sat down with the sales manager at the hotel I stay at on a regular basis and he had no idea of any changes - in particular the breakfast (as this is a Courtyard property). I'm sure it varies, but seemed a little odd to me.
I've grown to expect staff and management to be ignorant about what's going on. I'm planning an event in Vegas at Mandalay Bay. As of 2 weeks ago they had a huge Vegas Strong banner down the side of the building. I asked their sales manager how long it would be up to which his reply was "What banner?" To expect them to know about any program changes is really optimistic.
joshua362, jsloan and C17PSGR like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Kinda ridiculous that this SPG Gold thing is still up in the air. Personally, I don't buy the arguments that Marriott was just matching benefits in their properties for SPG Golds and that their real status was never akin to Marriott Gold Elite. If that's the case, then what if you took this so-called Faux Gold in MR via SPG and leveraged it to a successful MR Platinum challenge? Are you now a Faux Platinum (still recorded somewhere internally but never shown in the app or elsewhere)? Why offer you the status challenge if you were never actually a true Marriott Gold? Will you now be sent down to Gold Elite (instead of bumped up to Platinum Premier) in August because your pre-challenge status was never kosher Marriott Gold and is henceforth revoked? Could anyone honestly argue this sort of thing made sense while keeping a straight face?

I don't regard Flueck's comments as the final word. I honestly think they're making it up as they go along. I'd put far more store in what Raffles said today about the European and APAC VPs explicitly saying that SPG Golds (with linked accounts) would get Platinum. Raffles and Tom Otley put the European VP on the spot and he went to clarify it and came back with the confirmation, then the APAC VP chimed in to the same effect. Remember, this is the company that said 4pm checkout was subject to availability and then changed their tune within 24 hours (so there's hope for SPG LPTs yet).

The linking of accounts was a unique feature of the pre-merger program that was not akin to cross program status matching or provisional recognition of benefits. It compared status levels between the two programs and auto-promoted you to the higher level if there was a difference. Given the auto-promotion logic that has been in place, there's no undeniable reason why SPG Golds (who ARE Marriott Golds by virtue of account linking) will not be given Platinum in August.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The idea that SPG Golds somehow deserve Unified Marriott Platinum, by way of the SPG Gold = MR Gold gravy train of the past year, is patently offensive to me. I find the idea absolutely wreaking of (false) entitlement.
C17PSGR and slowly like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The idea that SPG Golds somehow deserve Unified Marriott Platinum, by way of the SPG Gold = MR Gold gravy train of the past year, is patently offensive to me. I find the idea absolutely wreaking of (false) entitlement.
I won't say that your posts are prone to hyperbole, or written in a tone that's designed to generate more heat than light in a discussion, since others have frequently noted this already and saved me the bother.

Everyone will get what they deserve in 2019, sure enough, but if you're going to do something as audacious as launch a new program mid-year (with consequent mid-year status conversions), you should at least have worked out the implications of what that entails (and be able to offer basic answers to related questions within 72 hours of making it official).
jsloan and paolo64 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fizzer
As an SPG Plat I have had good success with them but always outside the US. The only time I tried in the US was Hawaii during a peak week so I wasn't surprised that they were declined There are many stories on the SPG Board, however, about people who felt that they were worthless.
When I read the terms on the Marriott site they were identical to those of the SPG SNA . At booking or any time thereafter ( up until shortly before your stay) you can check the room types being offered and select one or more of them on the website or over the phone. The earliest you would know that they had cleared would usually be 5 days before your stay when they check for availability. That sweep is repeated daily until the day before your stay. If not cleared by then they are returned to your account.

You can only apply them if you have enough for your entire stay so with 10 I was able to snag a suite for 8 days in Cyprus for example. Now with only 5, unless I hit 75 nights again, they are perhaps less useful except for shorter stays. Perhaps with the option of some night credits from a CC 75 nights might be more achievable, an option not available to Canadian members of SPG at least so far.

As I said I have had good success for the most part, outside of the US. Other members have noted that the chances of clearing are greater on shorter stays but it is the longer vacation stays when they are of greater value. Ironically I have had them fail to clear in Canada, only to receive the UG anyway at check in without using the cert. As it was the end of the year it made no difference and it went unused but that is the only one of 30 I have had in the last 3 years that wasn't used. TBH though when my SNA didn't clear at the Westin Moana in Waikiki I only used them by applying them to a year end stay when I really didn't need or particularly desire a suite.
Definitely a mixed situation the certs. If you have an AMB less need to use them. The facts, as I've been told by my AMB, is that the upgraded are automated in the system, but only for the specific type of suite designated for them. Supposedly it's out of the hotel's hands once you submit them, if the suite type is available at -5 days, the system will assign you, it's not someone at the hotel looking at a list and deciding. I've been told by my AMB that she can't do anything to help the SNA process because of this. But without them an AMB can work with the hotel for any suite they may be willing to ug you to.

As opposed to Marriott (at least when I was PP) you can get a confirmed UG before you leave on your trip and don't have to wonder or beg at the front desk. Used them in Paris and they cleared 5 days ahead so didn't have wonder or worry. I've used almost all of the one's I've gotten but at the same time since it's a choice between the SNA's and some other 'gifts' I usually wait until the end of the year to select them, unless I really need them earlier.

I'd say doling out 5 at a time is more irritating, if you've planned a week vacation but you are between 50 and 75 nights, you are more likely to not use them. Of course I have 10 in my account from last year that are good until 12/31 and will get another 10 at some point this year.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:17 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I won't say that your posts are prone to hyperbole, or written in a tone that's designed to generate more heat than light in a discussion, since others have frequently noted this already and saved me the bother.

Everyone will get what they deserve in 2019, sure enough, but if you're going to do something as audacious as launch a new program mid-year (with consequent mid-year status conversions), you should at least have worked out the implications of what that entails (and be able to offer basic answers to related questions within 72 hours of making it official).
Elegant reply
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yurtripper

The program parameters are clear. The new written materials are clear. Obviously in an attempt to keep the news close to the vest it was not shared with employees outside of those within Marriott Rewards until the last minute. The confusion seems to be from a lack of communication to employees and not confusion from those running the program. Flueck's answer to the question was simple, clear, repeated and gave the specific example of a current SPG Gold with status match being Gold in the new scheme. As much as a few people with heads in the sand keep saying they believe a blogger who interpreted something a travel writer from some obscure publication heard from a marketing employee in Asia most people believe the head of the program who established the new rules. And his answer makes sense. If all SPG Golds were going to be Plat because of a status match the SPG flier would have shown Golds were going to be Plat instead of showing Gold to Gold but allowing some complicated hokey-pokey for which all members would qualify. Why would there have even been an SPG flier if a Marriott status match would be count?

BTW, if the Asian Marketing person or a blogger had a question about the new program, don't you think they would ask Flueck and go with his answer? He is the ultimate SME on this so why would anyone think he is wrong and the blogger or remote employee or travel report is right and he is wrong? If he answered the question incorrectly it would have been edited, corrected or not released. While it might not be the answer one wants to hear, there is no confusion. Gold to Gold without status match counting is the answer.
Fizzer and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Government rate?

Is there any announcement about whether the combined program will keep Marriott or spg rules? Marriott generally only allows federal gov (US) while SPG tends to allow state gov.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I don't know how effective it will be, but likely more than posting here - I'm trying to move questions over to where actual Marriott representatives have committed to try to answer

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/docs/DOC-15973
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
State Rate

Originally Posted by estnet
Is there any announcement about whether the combined program will keep Marriott or spg rules? Marriott generally only allows federal gov (US) while SPG tends to allow state gov.
​​​​​​​I’ve traveled for years for work and have used the state rate via Marriott all the time.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:21 pm

Just a thought about SPG Gold mapping to the new Platinum uncertainty...

Couldn't someone unlink the two accounts:

Unlinking.
A Linked Member may unlink his or her member accounts at any time by calling (SPG) 1-888-625-4988, (Marriott Rewards) 1-801-468-4000, or (The Ritz-Carlton Rewards) 1-866-922-6882, and the accounts will be unlinked within 48 hours of the Operators’ receipt of such request. Global contact information for customer care can be found at: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ort/index.html, www.marriott.com/help/rewards-customer-support.mi, or www.ritzcarlton.com/en/rewards/guest-services Any benefits that were being provided pursuant to these Terms and Conditions would be forfeited (including status matching) as of the time that the accounts are unlinked.
https://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/

Thus, Marriott status would revert to the lower Marriott status. And then request a Gold challenge (must be Silver), meet 6 stays before August, thus obtaining MR Gold which then maps to new MR Platinum.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by CPRich
Points transferred from SPG to MR will not count for earning MR LT status under the existing program rules, as you state.

Future LT status criteria do not have points requirements. So I'm unclear on the concern/question on how they "count towards lifetime".
Thanks for teaching me to read the thread properly

Appreciated!

I'm currently at 1.1million points, and 450 nights, so don't think I can make gold status, 500k points is .too much for me before year end.

Last edited by Flapster; Apr 18, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I may have missed it in the mountain of posts and the announcement from Marriott, but does anyone know how many rooms we'll get credit for (for earning points and for elite night credit) in the new program?

As someone who almost never books fewer than three rooms, this is of crucial import to me. I'm guessing that they continue with points earning for up to three rooms, but I don't know for certain. I have no idea if they're only giving 1 night credit (like Marriott) or multiple nights credit (like Starwood) for multiple rooms. If I can only earn points on a single room, that will be a massive downgrade for me. If I will be credited for more than one night toward elite status, that's probably an upgrade (though I am likely to hit 100 nights without being credited for more than one room).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.