Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Question And for existing Platinum premier

No mention of new elite Status for existing MR PP.

The ‘What’s new’ for Marriott mentions an existing status ‘Platinum with 100 nights and $20K spend’ but doesn’t mention PP !!!!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My questions:

- What is the last date on which to redeem an award under today's rules? (Specifically, a Category 5 Travel Package.)
- What happens to certificates sitting in our account, unattached to a hotel stay, that have an existing Marriott Category on them? Examples include the annual CC certs, Megabonus certs, and unused Travel Package certs. If these certs have an expiration date beyond August, what categories can they be redeemed for?
- When we pull the trigger on our final Travel Package, will we be able to extend it an extra year in 2019, redeeming it in 2020? Or is that option dead as the TP's are retired for good?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
Originally Posted by pinniped
THE GOOD:
- Existing Lifetime status members seem to come out okay. New LT Plat = Today's LT Gold, for the most part.
- "Main" brands like Courtyard and AC will now recognize elite status.
- Category system is still in place. They didn't go Hilton and go dynamic pricing from top to bottom. Although if it's dynamic above Cat 7, that's a bummer because that's where the most aspirational properties will be. (I guess I'm just happy they didn't turn the whole thing into a rebate program.)
- Incidentals count everywhere.

THE BAD:
- I sense a pretty big devaluation coming. Peak and non-peak always scare me, because "peak" ends up being like 8 months out of the year.
- Looks like Ritz is still OUT as far as elite benefits, as are Edition and Design.
- Can't tell if resorts are in or out?

THE UGLY:
- Travel Packages are dead.

What's the latest date we can redeem an existing TP? August sometime?
OneMileAtATime says travel packages are staying around but may change in points required. Where are you hearing they are dead?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Although if it's dynamic above Cat 7, that's a bummer because that's where the most aspirational properties will be. (I guess I'm just happy they didn't turn the whole thing into a rebate program.)
They're going with 8 Categories. Cat 8 will be priced the same way as 1-7; high season (higher points required) and low season (less points required).

High and low season is a better way to do it rather than the same number of points year round. It now better matches demand.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
THE GOOD:
- Existing Lifetime status members seem to come out okay. New LT Plat = Today's LT Gold, for the most part.
- "Main" brands like Courtyard and AC will now recognize elite status.
- Category system is still in place. They didn't go Hilton and go dynamic pricing from top to bottom. Although if it's dynamic above Cat 7, that's a bummer because that's where the most aspirational properties will be. (I guess I'm just happy they didn't turn the whole thing into a rebate program.)
- Incidentals count everywhere.

THE BAD:
- I sense a pretty big devaluation coming. Peak and non-peak always scare me, because "peak" ends up being like 8 months out of the year.
- Looks like Ritz is still OUT as far as elite benefits, as are Edition and Design.
- Can't tell if resorts are in or out?

THE UGLY:
- Travel Packages are dead.

What's the latest date we can redeem an existing TP? August sometime?
Peak/off-peak pricing was Hilton's first step before implementing the dynamic pricing process currently in place. I'd say it's not if, but when is it coming...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:35 pm

looks like off peak travelers win starting in 2019
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by meats10
I'll be LTP next month, I assume that will grandfather me into the new LTPP in August. Is that correct?

I'm getting way too hung up on the 'LTP TODAY' part.

Any thoughts for folks who will be qualifying for a new level between now and August?
Replying to my comment.. but this is encouraging

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ogram-end-spg/

"This new program is more generous than the current Marriott program, and I’m told that “anyone who has achieved the thresholds on August will automatically be upgraded to Lifetime Elite status.”"
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
So is this saying I can't qualify for 2019 status based on SPG stays?
I believe that you can. From the website:
  • Starting January 1, 2019, Elite status will be achieved on nights and not on stays. Until then, SPG members can achieve status based on stays at SPG-associated brands only, but can also qualify based on nights at any of the 29 brands.
So you can qualify based on 25 stays (all must be SPG) or 50 nights across the programs.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ENycSea
OneMileAtATime says travel packages are staying around but may change in points required. Where are you hearing they are dead?
I searched for them, but could not find them. I saw the Starwood-style airline conversions only.

From that, I inferred that the TPs disappear August 1st. I would be happy to be wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thank you for posting the link. My question is answered; Marriott LTPs will be treated as PP, not P in the new program, which means the breakfast and lounge benefits stay!
Yes - very happy about this news!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by itsallgood
They're going with 8 Categories. Cat 8 will be priced the same way as 1-7; high season (higher points required) and low season (less points required).

High and low season is a better way to do it rather than the same number of points year round. It now better matches demand.
Peak and Non-Peak, by itself, isn't a huge deal-breaker to me. It's the subsequent steps that worry me: first, they expand Peak way beyond what any reasonable person would consider true peak periods for the area, and then (Hilton), it goes full-on dynamic pricing - where the "low" rate (what you used to pay in points before they changed the program) almost never shows up. It has to be a Sunday night in January with a $99 rate to get the "low" points requirement.

So I guess my fear is more about Hilton's implementation of peak pricing and then, in 2017, true dynamic pricing. Now I'm watching Marriott start down this same path and am uneasy about it.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Question: Does anyone know how the suite night awards will work for this year?

I'm Marriott Platinum through Feb 2019, so I understand that I'll turn to Platinum Premiere in August (still through Feb 2019?). Will I be able to get 5 suite night awards in August, or will this start only if I requalify for next year?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
Question: Does anyone know how the suite night awards will work for this year?

I'm Marriott Platinum through Feb 2019, so I understand that I'll turn to Platinum Premiere in August (still through Feb 2019?). Will I be able to get 5 suite night awards in August, or will this start only if I requalify for next year?
You should get 10 suite night awards in August according to TPG.

"Marriott has informed us that members who achieved Platinum status prior to the launch of the combined program in August and chose Suite Night Awards for their choice option will receive 10 Suite Night Awards for this year."

I don't totally understand this perk. Can someone walk me through it?

1) When it says "Additional Annual Choice Benefits (5 Suite Night Awards, a Free Night Award or Gift Options)", what are the "gift options"? Points?

2) It still lists "Enhanced Room Upgrade (Including Select Suites)" as a perk for Platinums and Platinum Premiers. What's the difference between this and the Suite Night Awards? The Suite Night Awards are guaranteed upgrades if you use the award?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ENycSea
They are not listed among the redemption options. That said, they may still exist but not be mentioned (perhaps because they are difficult to describe/explain).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by pvn
OK, this is NOT saying I CAN qualify for 2019 status based on SPG stays.

Unless I get them in by august 1st, I guess.
I don't think that's a correct interpretation. You have until 12/31/2018 to earn Platinum with stays at SPG properties, which will carry you through 2019 as a Marriott Platinum in the new program. Then, EFFECTIVE Jan 1, 2019 - they will not be counting stays in the combined program.

https://members.marriott.com/spg/
  • Starting January 1, 2019, Elite status will be achieved on nights and not on stays. Until then, SPG members can achieve status based on stays at SPG-associated brands only, but can also qualify based on nights at any of the 29 brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.