Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Edition brand is not universally successful (it is no Rosewood), but I do think it occupies a useful space distinct from the W. While both brands have some breadth which means that making definitive statements about their differences is hard, I would guess the average night rate at an Edition to be 50-100% more than the average W night rate. This corresponds with higher quality fittings, larger rooms, better service and more quality F&B. There is no Edition like the weaker W's in Chicago or Atlanta. Editions do not serve Pineapple flavoured Mojitos made out of a paper carton.
I think your perspective on Edition vs W is colored by the simple fact that US based Ws are the oldest and were mostly conversions, and were the true pioneers in creating the lifestyle space. They weren’t originally expected to compete in the luxury space, so the older ones in the USA reflected that—and despite many refurbishments to help assuage that new luxury demand, many still reflect that challenge. Starwood (and everyone else) were quite surprised to discover that the W market shifted into the luxury space! Newer W hotel builds (and conversions) were absolutely created to compete in that higher ADR/price point luxury space. Edition was Marriott’s attempt to clone the success of W in the Marriott portfolio before anyone ever imagined a Marriott-Starwood merge. Edition has so few hotels that comparing ADRs with W is pretty pointless. W has so many new builds in Asia, where ADRs are always less, that it reinforces your insinuation without actually backing up that Ws are now built to comparable standard as Editions.

I think you’ll find that the Editions are not much different more or less than the newer Ws. The W is more brand standardized, and the Edition has a bit more local character, true...but otherwise they ring true from exactly the same basic lifestyle “edgy” formula. W offers free breakfast and Edition doesn’t. I forecast that eventually Edition will have to offer free breakfast as it loses share to W.

As a Millennial, the explicit New York upper East brand of the St Regis doesn't always work for me, though I have always preferred it to what to me feels like the tacky wealthy white baby boomer focus of many RC's.
As a gay man in my 40s who loves Deco and more modern design, it should say something that I was still blown away by our recent stay at the St Regis NYC—and gladly would stay there again. The StR may seem UES but it isn’t all that—and it is actually Midtown! Its incredible service was welcoming to all, even we who abhor the formality that other guests exude and might often more appreciate.

I kinda hope this will change for me to enjoy the benefits of Marriott membership, but given a city with the full range of luxury brands at similar prices and quality my ranking would probably be: Luxury Collection -> St Regis -> Edition -> Ritz-Carlton. Does JW Marriott even belong on the list?
In NYC, no, the JW doesn’t even come close. In some other cities, JW is better relative to the competition. JW is always going to be the ugly stepchild of the Marriott luxury portfolio, as even W easily outperforms JW on ADR worldwide. JW is the staid, affordable luxury option for those who like it more bland and less pricey. I call it luxury lite.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
As a gay man in my 40s who loves Deco and more modern design, it should say something that I was still blown away by our recent stay at the St Regis NYC—and gladly would stay there again. The StR may seem UES but it isn’t all that—and it is actually Midtown! Its incredible service was welcoming to all, even we who abhor the formality that other guests exude and might often more appreciate.
I would note that when actually staying in (or near) the New York Upper East Side, having a hotel designed to be the ultimate Upper East Side Hotel is entirely understandable and indeed welcome My point was that it's a deliberate part of the DNA of the global St Regis brand, in the same way that Miami/ LA/ Millennial/ gay is part of the DNA of the W brand. I do not have deep knowledge of the Ritz Carlton brand, but it conjures connotations of Florida property developers and retired Texan oil workers to me. Anyways, this has gone somewhat off thread. We seem to have agreed that from first principles the breakfast vs. non breakfast brand split can't be said to have been designed from the customer out.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I think it’s a missed opportunity for both RC and Edition, but I’m willing to bet that the current exemptions from breakfast are written into the management contracts. For RC, I’m willing to bet that owners (and perhaps Marriott, too) don’t want the breakfast benefit to cannibalizes their Club revenue. For Edition, it’s just a silly pretense as far as I can tell, in much the same way that RC originally thought being part of a loyalty program would somehow impugn their prestige. Just ask St Regis about that and you have an answer.
I've always wondered the extent that owners can meddle into what the management can or cannot offer.

I find it hard to believe an owner would write a clause prohibiting the management company from giving a complimentary breakfast, particularly if the management company can show that a complimentary breakfast can drive revenue. It would be like a hotel owner refusing to allow complimentary wireless internet access or complimentary TV.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 18, 2018 at 11:39 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Does anyone know , for next year's status changing, is it going to be soft landing or completely calculated by new program?

I am P this year until Feb19, if next year is soft landing, I can still keep P (drop from PP ) even if I didn't stay much.

If not soft landing, that would be bad news.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As a Millennial, the explicit New York upper East brand of the St Regis doesn't always work for me, though I have always preferred it to what to me feels like the tacky wealthy white baby boomer focus of many RC's.

I kinda hope this will change for me to enjoy the benefits of Marriott membership, but given a city with the full range of luxury brands at similar prices and quality my ranking would probably be: Luxury Collection -> St Regis -> Edition -> Ritz-Carlton. Does JW Marriott even belong on the list?
My Ritz-Carlton experiences have been limited to Aruba, San Juan, St. Thomas, Toronto, both Washington properties, and New York--Battery Park. Of those Ritz-Carlton properties, not a single one was better than the J.W. Marriott hotels that I have stayed at over the years. In most cases, there were no meaningful differences in service, decor, or amenities to justify the premium that Ritz-Carlton charges for a faux luxury experience.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:18 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've always wondered the extent that owners can meddle into what the management cannot or cannot offer.

I find it hard to believe an owner would write a clause prohibiting the management company from giving a complimentary breakfast, particularly if the management company can show that a complimentary breakfast can drive revenue. It would be like a hotel owner refusing to allow complimentary wireless internet access or complimentary TV.
My guess—and just a guess—is that it is in the management contracts for all hotels of that brand, guaranteeing that element as part of the brand standard. I also, like you, doubt that any one owner would write a clause to prohibit an element like that. No breakfast was a brand standard for both Edition and RC prior to the merge, so it isn’t unlikely that the standard might have been part of the contract details for those brands.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Thanks to everyone for giving us your first impressions on the upcoming single loyalty program. You can all be assured that your comments have been passed along to the loyalty team. We will endeavor to catch up to some specific questions as we are able to do so. In the meantime, members.marriott.com will be your best source of information for the time being.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Thank you - very much appreciated by all!

Originally Posted by jrothenb
I believe the concise argument why an SPG LTP with 750 combined nights by 8/1/18 (or 12/31/18 as some others have argued) should be mapped to the new LTPP, rather than the new LTP is as follows.

1. By staying 750 combined nights, the SPG LTP has achieved the same requirements as the legacy MR LTP.

2. Now, given that MR LTP also required 2MM added points over the course of the program membership (not taking into account spending), if Marriott can manage from an IT standpoint, it would also be reasonable for Marriott to take LT SPG points earned, multiply that figure by 3 (given the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), and add that number to the same member's MR account points total.

As far as I'm concerned, and I sincerely hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.
Nicely done, I agree. My concern is that some SPG LTPs were arguing that all SPG LTPs should be mapped to the new LTPP, and that would be extremely dilutive and unfair to MR LTPs. If it's just for 750 nights + 2MIL point SPG LTPs, then I think quite reasonable and fair for all.

Hopefully Marriott Rewards insider and Starwood Lurker are passing along the feedback.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

My guess—and just a guess—is that it is in the management contracts for all hotels of that brand, guaranteeing that element as part of the brand standard. I also, like you, doubt that any one owner would write a clause to prohibit an element like that. No breakfast was a brand standard for both Edition and RC prior to the merge, so it isn’t unlikely that the standard might have been part of the contract details for those brands.
The question seems to be what if the brand standard changes. Could Marriott decide Ritz-Carlton was going to offer complimentary breakfast for eligible elites or even access to club lounges for elites since it's a fact that they (1) determine the standard and (2) manage most Ritz-Carlton properties?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
One thing I've found as being pretty funny is that the hotel staff and managers don't seem to really know what's going on. I sat down with the sales manager at the hotel I stay at on a regular basis and he had no idea of any changes - in particular the breakfast (as this is a Courtyard property). I'm sure it varies, but seemed a little odd to me.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtmann05
One thing I've found as being pretty funny is that the hotel staff and managers don't seem to really know what's going on. I sat down with the sales manager at the hotel I stay at on a regular basis and he had no idea of any changes - in particular the breakfast (as this is a Courtyard property). I'm sure it varies, but seemed a little odd to me.
I've talked with two of the sales staff in Marriott's central sales office as I work with both of them on booking events. Neither knows anything about what, if any, changes have been made to Rewarding Events.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The question seems to be what if the brand standard changes. Could Marriott decide Ritz-Carlton was going to offer complimentary breakfast for eligible elites or even access to club lounges for elites since it's a fact that they (1) determine the standard and (2) manage most Ritz-Carlton properties?
I am sure that—within whatever contract boundaries already might exist for such standards—Marriott could in the future adjust the brand standards. It still might require agreement with owners, as displeased owners can try to get out of management contracts and new and potential owners might not be incentivized to use Ritz Carlton management.

That being said, I doubt that Ritz Carlton will allow a regular Platinum benefit for free breakfast that might cannibalize the Club Level revenue. It is possible in (quite some) time that the top tier (if any) Ambassador PlatPremier guests might gain a breakfast benefit at RC—but that looks doubtful for the time being.

If StR and LuxColl cannibalize too much business from RC and the numbers suggest the breakfast benefit is the chief culprit, then I imagine RC would reconsider the breakfast benefit. Until then, I doubt it!

I don’t think RC ever will make Club Level an elite benefit. It’s likely too big a revenue stream for the brand.

If W (or other brands) cannibalizes too much business from Edition and the numbers suggest the breakfast benefit were the chief culprit, then I imagine Edition would reconsider the breakfast benefit. On this, I actually think there is a chance this may happen in the not too distant future.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Edition was Marriott’s attempt to clone the success of W in the Marriott portfolio before anyone ever imagined a Marriott-Starwood merge. Edition has so few hotels that comparing ADRs with W is pretty pointless. W has so many new builds in Asia, where ADRs are always less, that it reinforces your insinuation without actually backing up that Ws are now built to comparable standard as Editions.

I think you’ll find that the Editions are not much different more or less than the newer Ws. The W is more brand standardized, and the Edition has a bit more local character, true...but otherwise they ring true from exactly the same basic lifestyle “edgy” formula. W offers free breakfast and Edition doesn’t. I forecast that eventually Edition will have to offer free breakfast as it loses share to W.

In NYC, no, the JW doesn’t even come close. In some other cities, JW is better relative to the competition. JW is always going to be the ugly stepchild of the Marriott luxury portfolio, as even W easily outperforms JW on ADR worldwide. JW is the staid, affordable luxury option for those who like it more bland and less pricey. I call it luxury lite.

Edition was actually initially a JV with Ian Schrager. I don't think he was trying to copy anyone.

As for W's, I like the hard product. It's the soft product that fails in my experience. Because they often attract six people to a room in town for a party, they can generate a higher room rate. $300 a night divided by six is only $50 a person. Plus, they don't have W's in Indianapolis or many countries of the world where they have JW's but probably generate lower room rates.

Also, because the staff in many W's doesn't really care about elite status, I suspect that the percentage of Platinums staying in a W is way less than in a StR/JW/Westin/Marriott/Ren. In general, with 125-150 stays a year, my interactions with GM's fall into two categories: (1) stays at legacy Marriott properties where the GM greets me in person, leaves a note at the desk, or sends something to my room or (2) interactions with GM's at W properties over failure to provide elite benefits and the unavailability of amenities (pool/bar) for guests because they have either rented it out for non-guests or allowed so many non-guests to the property that nothing is left. That's not all W's -- West LA is very good and Miami has fixed the situation (at least for me).

I completely agree that it doesn't make sense for Edition to not offer breakfast and hope they change.

As for JW, it's usually a nicer classier place where elite recognition is very good, the soft aspects are better on average than in a W, and I don't have to deal with a bunch of people in town for a bachelor party sneaking in alcohol ... now, if only they had better pools ...

Last edited by C17PSGR; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
My thoughts as well. I'm shocked this isn't being talked about more. I commend Marriott for all the enhancements they've rolled out (esp for lifetime status), but the #1 loyalty reward (IMO) for the entire program, award redemption, is probably getting severely devalued. Those cat 8/9 hotels that were 40k/45k pts a night are probably 60k+ (at minimum) now and more likely in the 80-100 range after you factor in peak times. Heck I stayed at the Ritz Cancun a few weeks ago for 50k a night. No chance that award is anywhere near that in 2019.
Count me in the boat that the devaluation shoe will drop at some point. As mentioned it is almost guaranteed that redemptions in NYC, Southern California, Florida, Caribbean, Hawaii, etc. will fall drastically on the side of peak rewards. The off-peak will be Sunday's in NYC, Wednesday's in Santa Monica, and hurricane season in the Caribbean/Florida.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Asked a few times in various threads and I think most agree it's an open question. My assumption is that SPG members who stay 50 nights in SPG properties will get the 10 they earned, under the guidance that anything earned under the existing program rules will be honored.

As MR members had no such program....I suspect new PLT's will get 5 and New PP/Ambass will get 10. But that's just a guess.
I would be happy if we do. Imagine those who complete 75 nights by August, receiving 10 SNA's at transition plus another 10 in 2019, or even better 10 SNA's and 2 free night awards.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As for JW, it's usually a nicer classier place where elite recognition is very good, the soft aspects are better on average than in a W, and I don't have to deal with a bunch of people in town for a bachelor party sneaking in alcohol ... now, if only they had better pools ...
To me, J.W. Marriott is a classic hotel. Most of the new ones are marginally luxurious -- certainly as good as Ritz-Carlton. I wouldn't call the Grand Rapids or Washington properties luxurious. It's exactly what a full-service hotel should be. Every J.W. Marriott I've ever stayed at has had doormen, bellmen, a full range of toiletries and amenities (robes, slippers, stationary and envelopes), and well-trained staff. Many offer turndown service and several have dedicated concierges. In short, all the trappings you expect.

What surprises me, however, is the number of J.W. Marriott properties with lousy pools. J.W. Marriott Marquis Miami and J.W. Marriott Singapore come to mind. You'd expect them to have excellent rooftop pools.

I can't speak to what Marriott was like 20 or 30 years ago, but I've been traveling enough to remember when Marriott-branded hotels used to always have the trappings. With the exception of marquee properties in big tourist destinations (Paris, London, etc.), there isn't much difference between a regular, vanilla Marriott and a Holiday Inn, at least in terms of amenities and services offered.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.