Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
Yes! For Platinum Elite (and higher), according to https://members.marriott.com/faq/ (bold and red text to highlight text from the FAQ):

Is complimentary breakfast available for Platinum Elite members?

After 50 nights across the portfolio, members will achieve Platinum Elite status. As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option. A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and resorts. Brands that are currently offering lounge access will continue to offer complimentary breakfast as part of the lounge offering.

Resorts are excluded from lounge access, which is a separately listed benefit.
I really want to see the terms and conditions because it is unclear how a property in a brand that has lounges with breakfast as a standard will provide the benefit when either their lounge is closed or they don't have a lounge. Right now, these properties provide a choice between points or breakfast in the restaurant if the lounge is closed or they don't have a lounge. Will this continue being the case or will they get away with not having a lounge or closing the lounge by providing breakfast only if you choose it as a check-in benefit?

I also want to see how the terms and conditions define breakfast because I think it's a safe bet that some properties will try and skimp the benefit by claiming toast, coffee or tea, and orange juice is a breakfast.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
We are working to bring together the best of both programs. And we wanted to give members even more opportunities, so we’re aligning our Elite status tiers, benefits, currency, and digital platforms.

As for the credit cards, some will have new, enhanced benefits that take effect between August and early 2019. Beginning in August, you’ll be able to earn and redeem points across all participating SPG and Rewards hotels with one loyalty account. If your credit card gives you Elite status, your status will be recognized across all our hotels. If you have an SPG credit card, the rate at which you earn points will change. For more specific details on how your card benefits will change in August, click here.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Thanks for the response. In 2019, there is one program with three separate branding credit cards that earns (and redeem) the same point currency. Why not just one branded credit card consistent with the one program and one point currency nomenclature?
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:03 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
What happens to my Starwood Business Amex card that provides me with Lounge access at all Sheratons. I got this card and paid for renewals on this express promise. Can/will Marriott simply void it?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
This is related to one of the questions left for the Lurker on the Starwood WIKI. At present, it remains unresolved (unconfirmed by anyone with official status, rather than FT posters making educated guesses). There are currently four questions on the Starwood Wiki concerning these issues.
This is now confirmed. For 2018 only, Marriott Gold via SPG gold will become new Platinum in August.

See TPG live video interview on FB with SVP Flueck around 10 min mark.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Troopers
I'm referring to transferring points from two different people with same address, eg. husband transfers points into wife's account.
Not only can you transfer points between MR accounts, you can do 50,000 points each year for no charge. Just keep in mind that the transfer affects LT points. LT points go up for the spouse receiving the points and down for the spouse sending the points. To do the no charge 50K transfer you have to call MR.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cooperhs
Horace, thanks for your response, although your opinion seems to be in the minority. I am Marriott Gold. I am also SPG Gold. One links to new Plat, one links to new Gold. Where does it say that "Only earned MR Gold Elite become Plat Elite in August?" I don't see any asterisks on the Marriott chart that says I become Plat.
I far as I know, it doesn't say "based on the earned status, not on linked status" anywhere on Marriott's official website.

By publishing separate charts for how current elite tiers for SPG, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards correspond to new elite tiers in August, it appears that Marriott's intention was to consider in what program the elite status was achieved -- in other words, whether a member actually achieved 50 qualifying elite nights.

It seems highly unlikely that Marriott wants to provide a full array of Platinum Elite benefits -- breakfast at resorts, lounge access at JW Marriott, suite upgrades at St. Regis, and so on -- to SPG Gold members who achieved status by completing just 10 stays or 25 nights in a calendar year (or who got it by using an SPG American Express card).

But what Marriott intends and what they've published are two different things. Based on the website, a reasonable person could easily conclude that his or her linked-account Marriott Gold Elite status will become Platinum Elite in August, even if that member never achieved 50 qualifying elite nights.

At this point, Marriott's website is ambiguous and possibly misleading. Marriott need to fix the ambiguity in either case. If the intention is to give Platinum Elite status only to those who qualified with 50 elite nights, Marriott needs to move quickly.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:31 pm

I far as I know, it doesn't say "based on the earned status, not on linked status" anywhere on Marriott's official website.

By publishing separate charts for how current elite tiers for SPG, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards correspond to new elite tiers in August, it appears that Marriott's intention was to consider in what program the elite status was achieved -- in other words, whether a member actually achieved 50 qualifying elite nights.

It seems highly unlikely that Marriott wants to provide a full array of Platinum Elite benefits -- breakfast at resorts, lounge access at JW Marriott, suite upgrades at St. Regis, and so on -- to SPG Gold members who achieved status by completing just 10 stays or 25 nights in a calendar year (or who got it by using an SPG American Express card).

But what Marriott intends and what they've published are two different things. Based on the website, a reasonable person could easily conclude that his or her linked-account Marriott Gold Elite status will become Platinum Elite in August, even if that member never achieved 50 qualifying elite nights.

At this point, Marriott's website is ambiguous and possibly misleading. Marriott need to fix the ambiguity in either case. If the intention is to give Platinum Elite status only to those who qualified with 50 elite nights, Marriott needs to move quickly.
It's confirmed...SPG Gold maps to new Marriott Platinum only for 2018. See my post two posts directly above your post.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander
Not only can you transfer points between MR accounts, you can do 50,000 points each year for no charge. Just keep in mind that the transfer affects LT points. LT points go up for the spouse receiving the points and down for the spouse sending the points. To do the no charge 50K transfer you have to call MR.
Is this true for new program? From what source?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

This is now confirmed. For 2018 only, Marriott Gold via SPG gold will become new Platinum in August.

That's not what I heard.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

It may be that they were allowing for the possibility that there are members in either scheme who have not yet linked their accounts. For FTers, this idea seems so outlandish that one could scarcely countenance it; for members of the general public, it may actually be more common than we think.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:44 pm

Hello.

I’m Marriott Platinum (from the Marriott Side), and I’m supposedly getting upgraded to Marriott Platinum Premier in August. Does this mean that I’m getting upgraded to United Gold from my current United Silver?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by I Fly Delta Jets
That's not what I heard.
Did you hear/watch the TPG video? Or do you think I am misinterpreting Flueck's statement?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:52 pm

Did you hear/watch the TPG video? Or do you think I am misinterpreting Flueck's statement?
I replayed couple of times, what I heard was SPG Gold who is currently Marriott Gold due to status match will get Marriott Gold from Aug 1st. Unfortunately even I was hoping the opposite.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

Members who have Marriott Gold only via a match from SPG Gold will not become Platinum Elite in August.

Please listen to it again (between the 10-minute mark and 11-minute mark).

YouTube Video: New Marriott and SPG Loyalty Program Questions Answered! (The Points Guy, "Sit down Q&A with David Flueck, SVP of Global Loyalty for Marriott International," published on Apr 17, 2018)

David Flueck explains what will happen in August to those those who have Gold status:

"So the members who have earned Gold on the Marriott side, they'll then get Platinum."

"For members who have matched, they'll be getting then the Gold status, which is really more equivalent to the SPG Gold status."
CJKatl likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 17, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Clear as mud. He was about to say something, then TPG interrupted him. He uses the term "earned." I think I know what that means, but am not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.