Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by JohnSIN
I have tried to get clarity from my Ambassador but I believe I got this right.
If I am Lifetime Platinum in Marriott with 750 Nights and 2M points, I get Lifetime Platinum Premier in the new combined program.
If I am Lifetime Platinum in SPG with 1600 nights and way in excess of 2M points equivalent, I get lifetime Platinum.

Do I get this right? Why would Marriott want to piss off the faithful long time SPG lifetime plats?
I don't see an answer to this posted. Yes, you are correct and no, nobody seems to know why Marriott did this. While it seems obvious that they should have grandfathered LTPP those SPG members who met the parameters, they did not. Clearly they sent a message that SPG LTP are not as valuable to them as Marriott LTPs. It has to be assumed that when numbers were crunched there must have been data to support treating SPG LTP this way.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I emailed both SPG and MR customer service to clarify as well. As a current SPG LTP, I wish to know exactly what I need to do between now and the end of 2018 to be grandfathered into LTPP in the combined program. My hope is that we have SPG LTP and >750 nights combined (matching MR requirements), that those SPG LTP will be grandfathered as LTPP in the new program. I know there has been some back and forth on whether this is the case, and I hope and believe that Marriott has not yet definitively answered. Please let this be so. I hope there is a path to grandfathering SPG LTP into LTPP, or if not, that management reconsiders before it's too late. Thank you.

"In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG."
PTahCha likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jrothenb
I emailed both SPG and MR customer service to clarify as well.
Did you try emailing David Flueck, senior vice president for loyalty, at [email protected]?
JohnSIN likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Otherwise. I’m afraid that it is more likely that one who stays more often at such expensive properties is more likely to be wealthier/more affluent. Not sure what that has to do with the current discussion, though—but you’re jumping on that as it isn’t true. It isn’t always true, of course...but it usually is going to be true. You know that.
No, what I know is that people who stay at more expensive properties are more likely to spend more for a hotel room. And while I understand why spending more can be important to a hotel, that has nothing to do with a person's wealth or affluence, nor am I sure why those things would matter. Again, most wealthy people I know do not waste money on hotel rooms unless there is a special occasion or vacation. Can we please retire the meaningless and unnecessary class hysterics, the posts about wealth and affluence and the idea that a great affluent person is defending the rights of the unwashed masses to stay at a SR? Historically we have not had that on the Marriott board.
RichH6109 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I don't think anyone (whether here, a blog or in the news) has disclosed whether the $20,000 threshold is a moving goalpost every year. This year, it's $20,000. For 2020 or 2021, it's $25,000.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:45 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
No, what I know is that people who stay at more expensive properties are more likely to spend more for a hotel room. And while I understand why spending more can be important to a hotel, that has nothing to do with a person's wealth or affluence, nor am I sure why those things would matter. Again, most wealthy people I know do not waste money on hotel rooms unless there is a special occasion or vacation. Can we please retire the meaningless and unnecessary class hysterics, the posts about wealth and affluence and the idea that a great affluent person is defending the rights of the unwashed masses to stay at a SR? Historically we have not had that on the Marriott board.
Wow.

First, you’re the only one who has mentioned “unwashed masses” here. Second, you’re the only one referring to class here, as well.

Third, whether you or I or anyone wants to admit it, most of the people staying at the very expensive hotels are actually wealthier/more affluent. That is a pretty obvious fact. The facts might hurt, but they still are the facts. That of course has nothing to do with what else is being discussed, but you seem to bring it up as if it’s inaccurate or a classist statement. It’s not rocket science to recognize that the most expensive hotels have guests who most often are more affluent.

I responded originally in reaction to other people claiming here that RC owners didn’t want CY guests in their hotels. Those are the people you should be attacking, not me. I only tried to debunk their faulty assertion. Ive stayed in too many StR hotels to know that StR hotels welcome everyone just as much as the RC hotel likely do, as well. To your point, actually.

You are attacking the wrong person.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:46 am

...I hope and believe that Marriott has not yet definitively answered. Please let this be so. I hope there is a path to grandfathering SPG LTP into LTPP, or if not, that management reconsiders before it's too late. Thank you.
I agree this was a bad decision and Marriott should reconsider, but it's clear this is what they did. The charts on the SPG versus MR fliers leave no doubt. The Marriott flier shows LTP becomes grandfathered LTPP where the SPG flier shows LTP becomes LTP. It was also clearly stated on yesterday's Livestream event.

Marriott appears to be trying to make Mr LTP feel superior. but there are a couple reasons why they missed that mark. First, there is not that big a difference between the new LTP and LTPP. Second, it does not impact me as a Marriott LTP if the higher level is granted to some SPG LTP.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I emailed both SPG and MR customer service to clarify as well. As a current SPG LTP, I wish to know exactly what I need to do between now and the end of 2018 to be grandfathered into LTPP in the combined program. My hope is that we have SPG LTP and >750 nights combined (matching MR requirements), that those SPG LTP will be grandfathered as LTPP in the new program. I know there has been some back and forth on whether this is the case, and I hope and believe that Marriott has not yet definitively answered. Please let this be so. I hope there is a path to grandfathering SPG LTP into LTPP, or if not, that management reconsiders before it's too late. Thank you.

"In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG."
Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck. Gary from VFTW outlined this in a recent article. This wasn't a benefit offered by Starwood and won't be recalculated/extended in the new program.

I’m already sensing some bitterness in the comments from Starwood lifetime Platinums who will keep their lifetime Platinum status, but no matter how much they’ve stayed over time will never get lifetime 75 night elite status — the way Marriott lifetime Platinums get on a grandfathered basis. I don’t think that’s fair.

The new program essentially has the Starwood lifetime component, with slightly higher qualification requirements. It doesn’t offer lifetime 75 night status going forward, just as the Starwood program didn’t. However those who earned lifetime 75 night status in the Marriott program get to keep that. We’d all be livid if that was taken away! It would be nice if Marriott went back and calculated lifetime 75 night status based on historical Starwood stay activity, too, but they aren’t taking anything away from Starwood elites here
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...yalty-program/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob

The silver lining though is that after months of hearing that SPG members are smarter, prettier, richer and more desirable than the Marriott scum we now know that Marriott, which has the data, obviously does not agree.
And for the record, we aren't all like that. I would say that most SPG loyalists are mortified by the superior attitude exhibited by some posters on FT.

Please accept our apologies.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Can we please retire the meaningless and unnecessary class hysterics, the posts about wealth and affluence and the idea that a great affluent person is defending the rights of the unwashed masses to stay at a SR? Historically we have not had that on the Marriott board.
Enough, seriously. The one beginning to look hysterical in this situation actually is not bhrubin.

Regards
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't think anyone (whether here, a blog or in the news) has disclosed whether the $20,000 threshold is a moving goalpost every year. This year, it's $20,000. For 2020 or 2021, it's $25,000.
This seems to be the same hysteria of constantly moving goalposts. The slippery slope mantra of the conspiracy theorist. Your conspiracy theory is that Marriott will increase the $20K threshold in a year or two without any evidence to support it. You could just have easily suggested that Marriott will increase the nights threshold in a year or two.

This is hysteria, yet again, with absolutely no evidence or pattern to support it. It’s just flailing at the wind. This is as bad as the hysterical poster who (falsely) claimed Marriott was getting rid of the Starwood airline transfers
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin

This seems to be the same hysteria of constantly moving goalposts. The slippery slope mantra of the conspiracy theorist. Your conspiracy theory is that Marriott will increase the $20K threshold in a year or two without any evidence to support it. You could just have easily suggested that Marriott will increase the nights threshold in a year or two.

This is hysteria, yet again, with absolutely no evidence or pattern to support it. It’s just flailing at the wind. This is as bad as the hysterical poster who (falsely) claimed Marriott was getting rid of the Starwood airline transfers
I didn't suggest anything. I pointed out that nobody has asked what is a legitimate and perfectly reasonable question since other travel programs that have adopted a revenue component have amended the revenue thresholds in subsequent years.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:04 am

I got the Marriot Biz card several months ago which gives me 15 nights. I have the SPG Biz car many years ago and this gives me 5 nights per year. Come August, will my SPG equate to 15 nights to my Marriot account. So in total I will have 30 nights and I will need to have 20 more nights during 2018 to qualify for Marriott Plat beginning March 2019 to 2020?

Also, if I redeemed one stay consisting of 3 consecutive nights using SPG points on a category 1, will this equate to 3 nights towards my 20 more nights I need?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:05 am

When any significant loyalty program undergoes a transformation , there will always be "winners and losers" - those who feel the program has been enhanced to better suit their stay habits/points earning/benefits and those who feel that the program has become devalued for their needs. Unfortunately , I find myself in the loser category or better phrased, in the IGNORED category, I was really hopeful that the new program would address, in my opinion , the missing link in SPG, MR, and the NEW program. That missing piece is the ability to earn status via spend . There are some of us who are moderate nights but high average daily rate/folio spend travelers. There simply is no place for us in the new program. Hyatt and Hilton allow status to be earned via base points which are determined via spend OR the ability to earn status through the stay/night mechanism. That compromise of an OR proposition is missing from the new program . I also hold the Ritz Carlton CC and will probably ditch that as I can't really see the benefit anymore because of the devaluation from Marriott OLD Gold (50 night benefits) to NEW Gold (25 night benefits). I will have LT Gold in the NEW program anyway. And, no I am not going to keep the RC CC and spend $75,000 to get Platinum - there are far better ways to spend $75,000 on a CC and maximize value. Hyatt will be the new "home" for me . Yes, the Hyatt footprint is smaller but I stay in places where Park Hyatts and Hyatt Grand and Andaz properties will fit my needs.

However, I will be watching this forum with great interest. I want to see what the new award chart will look like (will have close to 2,000,000 MR to burn, Additionally , I eagerly await the reviews of the guests at Marriott properties who will be requesting their comp suite upgrades at Marriott properties in major cities. Hopefully , it will go smoothly. When I was an active SPG Platinum many years ago, I found my overall success with getting suite upgrades to be quite high - occasionally a terse conversation or a call to SPG customer service had to be invoked to get the suite benefit but that was certainly rare. With everyone having access to smart devices and internet, the days of check-in agents saying "we have no standard suites" and having no way to confirm that information are in the rear view mirror. I can't wait to see how the rightfully earned suite upgrade benefit plays out at properties such Marriott Marquis NYC and JW Marriott in DC.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Back to the topic. do we know when the suite awards will become available to current marriott gold/ future platinum members? Have a reservation for 5nights starting jan 1 and would be great to utilize.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.