Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Front desk staff doing Valet at a full service hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:09 am
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

something I’ve never seen before and was a bit surprised by, maybe it’s the norm though. Staying at a full service Marriott in a Dallas suburb this weekend. Just got back to the hotel (2am local time) and found the valet stand deserted, so went in and asked the front desk what the deal was. They said, “we don’t have valet anymore, I’ll park your car.”
Not that I don’t trust the guy, it just seems odd that front desk staff would be doing valet.
Is it just being short staffed or is this the usual for late night valet? Edit- 2 new things i thought i should add- 1)ordered room service, and guess who delivers it? The same guy from front desk. And 2) I just looked out my window which overlooks the front driveway of the hotel, 30 minutes after I got back, and there my car is, still on and not parked yet. I seriously think the entirety of the staff on duty tonight were the two dudes at the front desk. I mean I get this at like a four points or courtyard, but at a full service Marriott? Just seems odd.

Last edited by S.R; Apr 14, 2018 at 1:32 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
When he said they don't have valet did he mean they don't have valet attendants or they don't offer valet parking? There's a big difference there.

The only suburban flagship Marriott hotel I have ever stayed at with valet parking has been the Westfields Marriott near Dulles. Every other suburban hotel has been self-parking, though a couple hotels have had a couple of reserved spots for guests with platinum elite status.

I also don't remember a single suburban Marriott, unless you consider the Marriott Key Bridge suburban, with a dedicated doorman or bellman. The Marriott hotels at the Detroit airport and in the Detroit suburb of Troy have just pointed me toward the luggage cart. The front desk clerks couldn't even be bothered to retrieve it for me.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond
One of my students just told me he got a job valet parking at a Fairfield. LOL. It is the new one in the Gulch in Nashville. So, urban.

That being said, maybe the clerk meant that they don't 'valet anymore' after midnight. I am not sure why a hotel would pay to have full valet service at 2 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:52 am
S.R
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
When he said they don't have valet did he mean they don't have valet attendants or they don't offer valet parking? There's a big difference there.

The only suburban flagship Marriott hotel I have ever stayed at with valet parking has been the Westfields Marriott near Dulles. Every other suburban hotel has been self-parking, though a couple hotels have had a couple of reserved spots for guests with platinum elite status.

I also don't remember a single suburban Marriott, unless you consider the Marriott Key Bridge suburban, with a dedicated doorman or bellman. The Marriott hotels at the Detroit airport and in the Detroit suburb of Troy have just pointed me toward the luggage cart. The front desk clerks couldn't even be bothered to retrieve it for me.
Suburb might not have been the correct word, FWIW it’s the Marriott Plano at Legacy Town center.
And they do have Valet, they were there when I first arrived to check in around 9pm. I guess it’s just not worth it to have 24/7 valet in an area like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by S.R
And they do have Valet, they were there when I first arrived to check in around 9pm.
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
One of my students just told me he got a job valet parking at a Fairfield.
It would be interesting to know whether the valet parking at both these hotels is through a third-party company. I say that because many hotels have now outsourced valet parking.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:05 pm
S.R
Original Poster

So I spoke to the awesome actual valet guys and they said that they’re usually there till around 1am, and get back at 6am. So between then it’s so empty that the front desk guys usually do any parking that’s needed.
They did apologize for last night though, but these guys are really nice so they make up for the issues last night.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not sure it's an "issue". OP arrived, he was checked in, his vehicle parked for him, and his meal delivered to his room. I don't think that it reflects on much of anything whether that is accomplished by 1 or 3 different employees.

If anything, it is all about management looking at utilization.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:39 pm
S.R
Original Poster

Deleted
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by S.R
[left]

Suburb might not have been the correct word, FWIW it’s the Marriott Plano at Legacy Town center.
What word would be better than "suburb" for plano???
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
One of my students just told me he got a job valet parking at a Fairfield. LOL. It is the new one in the Gulch in Nashville. So, urban.

That being said, maybe the clerk meant that they don't 'valet anymore' after midnight. I am not sure why a hotel would pay to have full valet service at 2 AM.
Often a primary reason for me to usage valet parking is my personal safety. If there's no valet at 2 am, I don't need one at 2 pm.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When I worked front desk at the Hyatt Regency Austin decades ago, the bellmen were forever disappearing. I could never figure out where they were going. A guest checked in with tons of stuff to take up and needed help. So I came out, grabbed a bell cart, went out to her car and helped her. The bellman showed up later, sheepish when I told him. (Probably pissed that he missed a tip on a slow night.)

You 'd be surprised how "full-service" hotels can operate right on the edge of total chaos. That's how it was at that property when I was there. (Of course, *I* was the one preventing its slide into chaos!)
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Often1
I'm not sure it's an "issue". OP arrived, he was checked in, his vehicle parked for him, and his meal delivered to his room. I don't think that it reflects on much of anything whether that is accomplished by 1 or 3 different employees.

If anything, it is all about management looking at utilization.
I applaud the can-do attitude of the employee plus Management's confidence that this works weekdays late at night. Doubtful this would work with late night weekend drunks however. That said, I detest forced valet parking even when not paying the bill.

Contrast this with pulling up at the PHL FS Marriott in 100 degree heat one July afternoon and the bellhops were all hiding inside refusing to come out. A newish date and the one time I would have gladly paid for the service.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotturnip
When I worked front desk at the Hyatt Regency Austin decades ago, the bellmen were forever disappearing. I could never figure out where they were going.
So, where did they go? Smoking dope? Drinking? Having sex with co-workers? Spill the beans.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by S.R
So I spoke to the awesome actual valet guys and they said that they’re usually there till around 1am, and get back at 6am. So between then it’s so empty that the front desk guys usually do any parking that’s needed.
So your original question was answered. You now know the hours of valet at the property & that if your car is brought in after that your car will still be parked, but by the FDC.

Cheers
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Often a primary reason for me to usage valet parking is my personal safety. If there's no valet at 2 am, I don't need one at 2 pm.
While I agree, still not sure why a hotel would pay for all night valet parkers when they could just have the night staff do it. Which is what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.