Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

[If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Horace
First, what percentage of Courtyard guests are Platinum and higher?
My guess, which echos my personal stay CY pattern over 15 years, is either a very low percentage or very high percentage at any one time.

A typical smart Platinum stays far away unless forced to due to lack of other choices, geography or high demand in the immediate area!
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 10, 2018 at 5:31 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Newest leak shows 29 brands and excludes BULGARI. So 25/29 means 4 will not.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by stvr
Newest leak shows 29 brands and excludes BULGARI. So 25/29 means 4 will not.
Source?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Source?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29623903-post232.html
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:33 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by khabah

By the look of things, they’ve made great time and things might be getting interesting again very soon.

khabah
I don't get that comment. This is like a turtle swimming in molasses slow....
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[DELETED]

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 12, 2018 at 11:08 am Reason: posted in error
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by joshua362
My guess, which echos my personal stay CY pattern over 15 years, is either a very low percentage or very high percentage at any one time.

A typical smart Platinum stays far away unless forced to due to lack of other choices, geography or high demand in the immediate area!
I'd rather stay at a nice Best Western property than any U.S. Courtyard.

Also, just because there's free breakfast doesn't mean it's worth eating.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
After 50 nights across the portfolio, members will achieve Platinum Elite status. As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option. A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and resorts. Brands that are currently offering lounge access will continue to offer complimentary breakfast as part of the lounge offering.

So that's 23 of 29.

Here are the global footprints of the naughty six per Skift, if it soothes the heart...

EDITION Hotels: 4 hotels; 819 rooms
Marriott Executive Apartments: 28 hotels; 4,181 rooms
Gaylord Hotels: 5 hotels; 8,098 rooms
Marriott Vacation Club: 58 properties; 12,807 rooms
Design Hotels: 290 hotels worldwide; 23,000 rooms
Ritz-Carlton: 96 hotels; 27,131 rooms (THE PAINFUL ONE!!!)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So bizarre on RC and Edition, not that I care ... but why breakfast for LC/StR but not RC/Edition?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Mildly disappointed to see Ritz excluded. I never expected MVCI or Execustay to have breakfast, have yet to run across EDITION or Design, and really hope to never have to set foot inside another Gaylord Hotel.

Happy about Moxy, AC, and Courtyard. I don't particularly love any of these brands, but it's good to know that status will now be recognized there.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
  • Lounge Access (with Breakfast — at JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels by MarriottTM, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance®Hotels, Sheraton®, Westin®, Le Meridien®); Excludes Resorts
Does that mean no breakfast at all at the other brands?

Edit: Never mind, I see that this is specifically dealing with lounges and the list of excluded brands was posted above. The wording had me extra nervous.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
"As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand"

This makes me nervous. "Here's your 4 ounce Juice cup and prepackaged muffin. That's our breakfast offering. Take it or take 500 points".

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 16, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does breakfast benefit start in august or jan 1?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
So bizarre on RC and Edition, not that I care ... but why breakfast for LC/StR but not RC/Edition?
I think it's because of franchise agreements. Starwood legacy luxury brands had breakfast as a Platinum welcome option baked into the agreements. Marriott legacy luxury brands (except for JW Marriott) had nothing similar.

Of course, that raises the question of how the new Platinum breakfast offering at Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, MOXY Hotels, and Protea Hotels is being mandated and funded.

I imagine that the kind of breakfast that guests would expect from Ritz-Carlton and Edition would represent a significant cost to the hotel. A much simpler breakfast at a select service brand would represent a much lower cost, with some of that offset by not having to provide a welcome gift of 400 points and an amenity from the pantry (as Courtyard and AC Hotels do now).

An even bigger (and very welcome) change is that resorts are no longer excluded at the five Marriott brands that excluded them. The cost to the resorts and/or to Marriott marketing is likely to be significant.

When you start to think about 6,500 hotels -- with almost all of them franchised -- it's mind-boggling how much renegotiation and arm-twisting Marriott probably had to do with hotel owners.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Horace
When you start to think about 6,500 hotels -- with almost all of them franchised -- it's mind-boggling how much renegotiation and arm-twisting Marriott probably had to do with hotel owners.
Actually, I suspect there is some kind of clause in the franchise agreements that basically lets Marriott do whatever they want whenever they want. Of course being that blunt about things would be bad business and not in keeping with the values of a company that still promotes ethical behavior, but when push comes to shove I suspect Marriott had to remind some of their franchisees on which side of the relationship the power really lies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.