Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

[If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

Hearing rumors today that going forward 25 of Marriott's 30 brands will reward upper tier elites with free breakfast during their stays. I'm trying to decide which 5 brands Marriott couldn't get it done for. Here are the 11 contenders, excluding brands where I suppose Marriott could *take away* breakfast. I rank from least likely to comp breakfast to most likely:

Executive Apartments — I imagine many properties couldn't provide breakfast even if desired.
Marriott Vacation Club — this would be impractical at properties with only self-catering, I'd imagine.
Design Hotels — so many different properties with different needs. Might have been hard to negotiate without losing properties.
BULGARI — given the small footprint, I imagine they can slip a no-breakfast rule by people without them noticing.
Protea — total wild card. Have no clue.
EDITION — they could want to protect revenue at the luxury properties. But this wouldn't be competitive with the Luxury Collection or St. Regis hotels in their catalog.
Ritz-Carlton — I have a hard time believing they are NOT going to offer free breakfast at Ritz, given what SPG has done in this segment with St. Regis, etc.
Gaylord — the big convention properties in the Hilton and Hyatt portfolio have free breakfast. Shouldn't be hard to achieve, no?
AC Hotels — my gut tells me there is going to be free breakfast at AC.
Courtyard — I have a feeling they got this done just from symbolism alone. This really stuck in people's craw.
Moxy — Every other brand at this level in their portfolio does a breakfast benefit at this point.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My guess is Executive Apartments, MVC, Bvlgari, Edition, and R-C.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
My guess is Executive Apartments, MVC, Bvlgari, Edition, and R-C.
Almost my guess, except that I would exchange R-C (as mentioned above, no reason to exclude that when St. Regis does give breakfast) with either Gaylord or Design...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do we know for sure that Starriott isn't dropping or combining any brands? I'm assuming that they won't create any new brands until the merger is finished.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just don't touch St. Regis...

Going to Bora Bora for our honeymoon in the fall and the free breakfast as a Plat has real value at the StR there (and specifically chose a cash rate with no breakfast included since I assumed I would have it as Platinum)
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I can only think of three options:
- Most expensive brands won't have breakfast (St Regis, Luxury Collection, Ritz-Carlton, Bulgari, Edition)
- Cheapest brands won't have breakfast
- Random brands Marriott doesn't give full recognition to won't have breakfast (Bulgari, Edition, Apartments, etc.)
funkbandit likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:56 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The Design Hotels relationship is really more of a marketing partnership, and benefits are already limited there for elites, so I'd think that would be one of the five.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think this is the explanation, but is there any chance that breakfast for elites in 25 brands means free breakfast only for elites (and not for everyone) in 25 brands? If so, then element, RI, and TPS (FFI too?) already offer free breakfast to everyone. Adding Executive Apartments/Execustay and some vacation brand would account for the five missing brands.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Can the newest generation of Courtyards with the (horrible) Bistro concept even begin to offer breakfast to the masses, let alone free to elites without major retooling? I think they continue a "no" because of this restriction.
LPCJr and davidsc111 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do we know for sure that Starriott isn't dropping or combining any brands? I'm assuming that they won't create any new brands until the merger is finished.
I’ve been watching this particular point very closely and here is what I’ve gathered from the countless interviews and statements they’ve been putting out: they have gone out of their way to assure us that none of the current brands are going anywhere and that the 30 we see now will still be the same 30 going forward. They see strength in their variety and have been working to delineate the brands since a lot of them were competitors pre-merger [especially the independent collection brands of Luxury Collection, Autograph Collection and Tribute Portfolio - which have now been defined with LC as the five-star brand, Autograph as the four-star and Tribute as the three/four-star range].

Marriott hasn’t ruled out acquiring/launching more brands going forward, but they’ll only evaluate that possibility once they’ve gotten the 30 current brands in their portfolio lined up as well as the loyalty program and other issues related to the merger. By the look of things, they’ve made great time and things might be getting interesting again very soon.

khabah
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Assuming the 25/30 speculation is accurate, four are easy: Execustay/Apartments, MVC, Design, and Bulgari. They don't offer anything now and are very different from the other brands.

Would seem odd to treat RC, LC, Edition, or StR differently and to avoid breakfast in just one of those.

One of these things is not like the others ....but which one ....
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Isn't Design just the same as Autograph on the Marriott side, that is independent-y, boutique-y hotels that want the benefit of a marketing relationship and ready access to loyalty program members without having to look and feel like a chain hotel? If so, there is no reason they cannot offer a blanket breakfast benefit.

I agree with joshua362, though, that maybe Courtyard will continue to be an odd holdout for free breakfast. That would put R-C back in, which I would *love*.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:10 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by joshua362
Can the newest generation of Courtyards with the (horrible) Bistro concept even begin to offer breakfast to the masses, let alone free to elites without major retooling? I think they continue a "no" because of this restriction.
That's actually a very good point. The wait at the current Bistros can be long enough just for the paying guests... elite heavy locations would be completely overwhelmed.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a great point. If they were to even combine two brands (Tribute and Autograph, for example), then you would only be looking at 4 brands without breakfast. Hmm.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Regarding AC: I've stayed probably a dozen times at different AC hotels where my corporate rate included breakfast. So I think AC properties will be able to give away a breakfast here and there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.