Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by khkchan
Amex Plat offers SPG Gold Preferred free and currently its matched to Marriott Gold Elite.

Marriott Gold Elite today will become Platinum Elite after August.
SPG Gold Preferred today will just become Gold Elite after August.

So I guess I will become Platinum in the new program after August - it sounds too good to be true.
I also am in this boat and wanted to ask about this. How can, in August, SPG Gold (which currently gives Marriott Gold status) become Gold, while Marriott Gold becomes Platinum. It doesn't add up. My concern is they will say currently matched Marriott Gold status from SPG Gold will not match to Platinum.

Will be disappointing to lose free breakfast and lounge access at Marriotts if I don't get matched to Platinum but would be great to get those benefits at SPG hotels if I do. Confusing.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
What am I missing? Where's the info about TPs? Is this the dog that didn't bark?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Couple of questions to those who have digested everything (apologies if I missed it but I can't seem to find anything, or, read too fast):

-does this mean that your PLAT amenity is now breakfast OR points? Seems like a downgrade given it was previously 500pts + breakfast for Marriott plats. Although the addition of resorts and courtyards (two of my frequent types of stays) probably means it's a wash overall?
It says:
"Points, Breakfast Offering or Amenity*"
So it is an OR. This how SPG does it but I (and others) have had some luck getting both points and breakfast. If you already get free breakfast, make sure to ask for points! Amenity...pfft.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
-the chart mentions if you're MR plat you will be Plat Premier, however, what if you received the status via your SPG match? I was a SPG Plat so it seems almost too good to be true.. I assume it's based on the original status you qualified for before you matched it over?
New Plat Premier (75 nt) is same as Marriott Plat (75 nt) now.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
If you look at the credit card pages, it seems that the Ritz card which currently match to Gold status after $10K - will continue to match to Gold status in the new program. Which is kind of a sham because that is the only reason to really have this card. It would also be good bye Marriott for me - as breakfast and lounge access is a deal breaker. I guess my annual fee will go toward Hilton card which can give me that instantly.

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Can’t see whether the SPG policy of getting credit for up to 3 rooms toward elite nights is still valid. Anyone?
Originally Posted by kantscholar
Yes, this is the important question. That and do reward nights count towards elite status?
This is from Gary Leff @ View From the Wing:

"Although today you can earn Starwood elite credit on up to 3 rooms you’re paying for at the same time — great for families — however Marriott tells me in the new program “elites will earn points on their own room and two additional rooms” but “elite night credits are awarded for stays elites personally stay and pay for.” (emphasis added)

Direct link and of course credit to Gary:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ogram-end-spg/

Regards

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nova08
Just trying to tackle the details now, any mention of an effective date. I'm a few nights away from LT Plat, with those nights coming up in the next few weeks.
I'm most curious about this as well. Is it TODAY, or is it Lifetime Status by Aug 1?
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I wonder how corporate SET rates will be affected?
I hope they just use the marriott codes. Marriott's website is much easier to use when I'm traveling to hotels where my company has a rate, and it's much easier to remember our three-letter code than a random 5 digit number.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by dmodemd
No lounge access for Gold

https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
Thanks, corrected, mea culpa. I was typing it up too quick.

Lounge access was left on the floor for the 50 night/yr tier... as it was under MR.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Not big changes overall. With more hotels possible, a slight jigger of the elite tiers and/or category changes in beneifts—seems reasonable.

St. Regis, Luxury Collection, and W seem to no longer offer breakfast? Biggest change for SPG elites, perhaps?
where did you read about breakfast being taken away from any chain,
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN
I'm most curious about this as well. Is it TODAY, or is it Lifetime Status by Aug 1?
I actually cannot tell if it is Aug 1 or Jan 1, 2019.

There is this:
Starting in August, you’ll be able to qualify instantly for one of our three Lifetime tiers:
Lifetime Silver Elite, Lifetime Gold Elite and Lifetime Platinum Elite.
But then also this:
You can also qualify via the existing criteria through December 31, 2018.
I do not explicitly see anything to mention that current MR LT Plat is grandfathered to the new Plat Premier. Other than this:
And if you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
If you look at the credit card pages, it seems that the Ritz card which currently match to Gold status after $10K - will continue to match to Gold status in the new program. Which is kind of a sham because that is the only reason to really have this card. It would also be good bye Marriott for me - as breakfast and lounge access is a deal breaker. I guess my annual fee will go toward Hilton card which can give me that instantly.
Supposedly new benefits to the card are coming in August. What those benefits are, has not been detailed.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:23 pm

I'm curious how status is defined for '19 (pretend lifetime status isn't part of the equation). My total night stay this year is 113. 35 paid nights and a rollover from '17 of 78. Does this mean I get ambassador service next year and 10 suite upgrades?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by nova08
I do not explicitly see anything to mention that current MR LT Plat is grandfathered to the new Plat Premier. Other than this:
https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yurtripper
What am I missing? Where's the info about TPs? Is this the dog that didn't bark?
I think they're going away. I've been looking for them too. We got the Starwood airline partners, which is a good thing, but I see no mention of the TPs.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Thanks, just saw your post over on the LT thread. I am still curious about effective date consider "Today" and "previously achieved" terms are used. My hope is that it is all as of Aug 1.
meats10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.