Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:25 am

I just don't get why Marriott chose to just announce a date when something will be revealed and not provide any more detailed Information. It's not like Marriott is Apple and everyone is looking for the next big thing. i.e. expecting something positive or an add-on to existing services.

Marriott's announcement has many people (who have been loyal customers) looking forward to today with mixed feelings to say the least. Many are afraid that Marriott will take something away - and having loyal customers fear that is just bad corporate communication. Almost as if Apple loyalists would fear that Apple will announce the discontinuation of iTunes and icloud at the next event...
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by funkbandit
I just don't get why Marriott chose to just announce a date when something will be revealed and not provide any more detailed Information. It's not like Marriott is Apple and everyone is looking for the next big thing. i.e. expecting something positive or an add-on to existing services.

Marriott's announcement has many people (who have been loyal customers) looking forward to today with mixed feelings to say the least. Many are afraid that Marriott will take something away - and having loyal customers fear that is just bad corporate communication. Almost as if Apple loyalists would fear that Apple will announce the discontinuation of iTunes and icloud at the next event...
So you rather not know the date when they will announce stuff? What's the difference?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
So you rather not know the date when they will announce stuff? What's the difference?
Maybe I would've liked an announcement of the date along These lines: "On April 16th Marriott will announce the details of the combined program for 2019 with all changed taking effect from January 1st."

That way, we'd have ample time to learn about the new program and decide what to do with our points. Just better than having people think that an unprecedented devaluation can take immediate effect today.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
The rumor I received from a Chinese source is only top two tier get free breakfast and only top tier get lounge (assuming 75N and 100N respectively)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
SPG is a loyalty program, not an operating business. The operating entity, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, was consistently profitable. Between 2010 and 2015, its net income ranged from $477M (2010) to $635M (2013). Starwood Net Income
Thanks for countering "fake news"...I love the DCS-style "Starwood was unprofitable!" posts that are divorced from reality.

During that same timeframe, Marriott actually had similar mid-9 figure net income, despite much higher revenues...so actually Starwood was MORE profitable percentage-wise.

But no need to re-hash the facts...
MSPeconomist and geclub1 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by hdfdisk
The rumor I received from a Chinese source is only top tier get lounge
In such case it will be yet another IHG, but with much weaker points promos. End of the loyalty program, only corporate clients will stay.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
The rumor I received from a Chinese source is only top two tier get free breakfast and only top tier get lounge (assuming 75N and 100N respectively)
a “Chinese source”? As in a Front Office manager at a Chinese Starriott property? A valet? A bartender? Or or another person staying at a Starriott?

its been fun, but I’m going to wait until 16:30 to revisit this thread. Happy Patriots’ Day!

barracuda93 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767

a “Chinese source”? As in a Front Office manager at a Chinese Starriott property? A valet? A bartender? Or or another person staying at a Starriott?

its been fun, but I’m going to wait until 16:30 to revisit this thread. Happy Patriots’ Day!

Let me just say the source is quite reputable.
the only thing im not quite sure is that inside the screenshot it shows 5 tiers, so I don’t know if top two tiers in the screenshot means 50/75N or 75/100N
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
over the weekend i did a calculation of how much i spent on hotels in 2017....my spread was 79 nights with spg, 67 with trident, 22 with marriott, 7 with ihg, 5 with hilton & over 20 nights with an independent property....

with spg i spent a little over $12k, with the majority of my stays in asia....

with trident i spent a little under $17k, with all my stays coming at a single property....

i didn't spend much combined with marriott, ihg & hilton as all but a couple of nights were reward stays....

with the independent property i spent around $5k....

i would easily do over 100 nights a year with spg / marriott but my travel also took me to a number of places where neither chains were an option....last year i spent close to 100 nights in one city that does not have any chain hotels (except for trident)....i think i'll end up with similar nights at the same city again this year....if the rumors are true about there being a spend requirement for each tier & breakfast or lounge access only for the top tier then with a heavy heart i'll be forced to take my business somewhere else (possibly by default to hilton, since no other chain will work for me)....

the irony is that for most of my work travel i am accompanied by 1, 2 or sometimes 3 colleagues from the team that works under me....none of these guys wanted to be part of a frequent flyer program & were very happy with all the travel being in my name....they saw it as a burden to fill in expense reports for flights & hotel stays, etc so they just let my secretary make & pay for the bookings in my name....i forced them all to join various hotel & airline programs as i felt it was a waste for them to not be earning any miles or points....if this were not the case then i would easily be crossing 250+ nights & $30k+ spend per year....i guess i shot myself in the foot....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....the only thing im not quite sure is that inside the screenshot it shows 5 tiers, so I don’t know if top two tiers in the screenshot means 50/75N or 75/100N
The opening post of this leak thread shows 5 tiers: 10/25/50/75/100 nights. Top two, if correct, should mean 75/100.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Where have you seen LL confirming it is real? He just reported the rumor as a rumor, like everyone.
And it wasn’t even worth reading.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:41 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I'll be going back to Hilton if this is the case.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

Let me just say the source is quite reputable.
the only thing im not quite sure is that inside the screenshot it shows 5 tiers, so I don’t know if top two tiers in the screenshot means 50/75N or 75/100N
I could believe if breakfast was limited to 50+ nights and lounge to 75+ nights. But breakfast at 75 nights and lounge at 100 nights, plus a spend component, I call BS.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I'll be going back to Hilton if this is the case.
+1
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Ambassador is not a tier

Ambassador is a program, not a status tier. Says so right in the first leak. So the top 2 tiers are 50/75. So long as I keep breakfast as a recent lifetime SPG plat, I’ll be happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.