Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Thinking I'm going to get my hotel+air packages done before "next week" in case this benefit gets enhanced...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by malexander131
$20K for ambassador status may be steep for those of us who work for organizations with high discount/negotiated rates. I'm frequently at 120+ nights across both, and its a big reason of why I pick SPG over other brands. Hopefully they take that into consideration for us corporate travelers who still hit high value of nights but are beholden to policy as well.

If I lost my ambassador and could only get "Platinum Premier", there would be an incentive to diversify a bit after 75.
Originally Posted by lockman21
This is a very good point and one I've been thinking about today. I'm in the exact same boat. I'm stuck with picking rooms within policy and we get good negotiated rates so that spend would be extremely tough for me. Would really be a shame to be at 120+ nights and be stuck at PP thanks to spend.
For years there have been people who think they should be treated better because they spend their own money at Marriott properties as opposed to OPM. Many who spend OPM have explained Marriott does not care where the money comes from. It works the same when the shoe is on the other foot.

The PTB have data that has been studied. If the information claimed to have been leaked is accurate then Marriott will be making it clear that at under $20k in business they would rather a customer go elsewhere than devote a non-cost effective perk. Stomping a foot threatening to go elsewhere when Marriott will have given a clear indication they're okay with the customer going elsewhere is actually pretty funny. What do they care where the money comes from? If a customer doesn't generate enough funds the customer doesn't generate enough funds. Those eligible for government rates have been dealing with this for years on airlines and no waivers have been made for them or others who get cheap airfare because of low negotiated rates. Marriott knows this and it would be unlikely they would establish a similar policy but plan exceptions because your employer has negotiated good rates.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:40 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Handcake
I wondered about this too, especially since for me as a Canadian, my AMEX Plat offers me SPG Gold, which gives me Marriott Gold. If SPG gold becomes like Marriott Silver, it is worthless for me, and I would rather shift to a card that offered me Plat status, which is most likely going to be where you get the free breakfast/lounge access.

I think that the 5 tiers will provide the prioritization that a company of this size needs at the front desk and elsewhere. It was already happening at SPG with Platinum 25/50/75/100 although it wasn't publicly advertised as much.

I am also a Canadian AMEX SPG Card Holder X 4 (between MrsWT73 and I). If the indication is that the hotel stays are going to earn 10 points a dollar, it seems that the credit card customers are going to take a beating. Earning at 1 or 2 points per dollar will not drive a lot of earning in the reward program (unless you stay at the properties). If I recall correctly, the discontinued Marriott credit card in Canada offered silver status; I suspect this will be the level unless it is tied to an annual spend amount.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that the quote from the Hotel News Now interview that states “What we think we can do is deliver even more value to our guests, at more cost effective terms to our hotel owners, and drive a loyalty program which is second to none.” doesn't mean dynamic award prices. For me, this equals no obvious path forward as an "earner" and if there is no ability to transfer to frequent flier points, it lessens the value considerably.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold
So ... I just moved my Amex points to SPG.

Time to redeem the 7 night award now? Or we will still have time after Monday?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Where has Marriott made assurances previously? I've heard others say this before, but I've never once seen something to substantiate it. As everyone should know, lifetime is only for the lifetime of the program.
Marriott has made this claim in writing and verbally several times, including this from the Website:
What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?

Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
This link and answer have been posted on many threads by many people so it is inconceivable that someone who is a regular reader of this thread would have missed this, let alone would try to stir the pot with an irresponsible statement instead of doing a simple search to find the truth. We do not know what the parameters of recognition will be in the new program, but it is pretty clear LT status will be brought into the new program. If Marriott were to renege on this nobody would want to earn LT status in the new program out of fear it would disappear with a name change. Hopefully nobody puts credence in the statement and thinks their LT status will be gone.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I would assume that the names are trying to transition from SPG (50 nights for Plat), Easier to upgrade someone's name, rather than downgrade it, hence don't use MR metal names for night levels.

I would assume that MR Gold become Plat, and MR Plat become PPlat. And I would have to assume that LT status corresponds to the number of nights - LT Gold become LT Plat and LT Plat becomes LT PPlat. Anything else would be illogical. It is the night level that counts not the name. SPF LT Plat would be only LT Plat (50 night level). So keeps SPG LT Plat at their current name (no name downgrade).

I have to assume that Marriott purposely leaked the information to get feedback in advance. Let's all see what happens.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
For years there have been people who think they should be treated better because they spend their own money at Marriott properties as opposed to OPM. Many who spend OPM have explained Marriott does not care where the money comes from. It works the same when the shoe is on the other foot.

The PTB have data that has been studied. If the information claimed to have been leaked is accurate then Marriott will be making it clear that at under $20k in business they would rather a customer go elsewhere than devote a non-cost effective perk. Stomping a foot threatening to go elsewhere when Marriott will have given a clear indication they're okay with the customer going elsewhere is actually pretty funny. What do they care where the money comes from? If a customer doesn't generate enough funds the customer doesn't generate enough funds. Those eligible for government rates have been dealing with this for years on airlines and no waivers have been made for them or others who get cheap airfare because of low negotiated rates. Marriott knows this and it would be unlikely they would establish a similar policy but plan exceptions because your employer has negotiated good rates.
Maybe, but don't forget that Asia and the Pacific are Marriott's growing markets. Hotels in these markets, particularly Southeast Asia, are considerably cheaper. You can get properties for under $70 and as low as $30 per night.

Absent a waiver for non-U.S. customers, an entirely arbitrary threshold of $20,000 could have a negative impact.
paolo64 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Maybe, but don't forget that Asia and the Pacific are Marriott's growing markets. Hotels in these markets, particularly Southeast Asia, are considerably cheaper. You can get properties for under $70 and as low as $30 per night.

Absent a waiver for non-U.S. customers, an entirely arbitrary threshold of $20,000 could have a negative impact.
But Asia markets like HKG and Toyko are very expensive. You could get $20K spend with 50 nights.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by davem4
So ... I just moved my Amex points to SPG.

Time to redeem the 7 night award now? Or we will still have time after Monday?
I hate to feed panic, and we do not know specifics yet, and Marriott has usually given us advance notice before significant changes, but...

When it comes to awards, we have seen some sudden changes in the past. The worst was when the weekend BOGO coupon was cut out of nowhere with a promise it would come back. After a year of empty promises, the Marriott employee who used to post here made it clear she was lied to and was irked. Given that weakness within Marriott, I'd order the package now if you are sure you are going to use a package and you have the points.

Sorry to agree with the panic.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Marriott has made this claim in writing and verbally several times, including this from the Website:

This link and answer have been posted on many threads by many people so it is inconceivable that someone who is a regular reader of this thread would have missed this, let alone would try to stir the pot with an irresponsible statement instead of doing a simple search to find the truth. We do not know what the parameters of recognition will be in the new program, but it is pretty clear LT status will be brought into the new program. If Marriott were to renege on this nobody would want to earn LT status in the new program out of fear it would disappear with a name change. Hopefully nobody puts credence in the statement and thinks their LT status will be gone.
Thanks for highlighting, but "we will always recognize your lifetime status" is different from, "We will always your recognize your lifetime status at the equivelent status level if status level names or qualifications change." If the status levels are changed then lifetime-platinum is still lifetime-platinum in name only.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:54 pm

You can get properties for ...as low as $30 per night.
Which properties? What dates?

And if that's the case, Marriott is not generating enough profit from you to justify the expense of having an assigned Ambassador which is the point. It's not charity, it's a business.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
never mind

Last edited by RogerD408; Apr 9, 2018 at 7:15 pm Reason: Deleted
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:59 pm
Suspended

The Fairfield by Marriott Belitung in Indonesia is $39 per night.

The J.W. Marriott Hotel Medan in Indonesia is in the $50-range.

The Fairfield by Marriott Surabaya in Indonesia is $37 per night.

The J.W. Marriott Hotel Surabaya in Indonesia is in the $70-range. The same for the Yogyakarta Marriott Hotel.

Those rates are cheap enough for a mattress run. Check-in, tour around Southeast Asia and come back a month later to check-out.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:01 pm

Thanks for highlighting, but "we will always recognize your lifetime status" is different from, "We will always your recognize your lifetime status at the equivelent (sic) status level if status level names or qualifications change." If the status levels are changed then lifetime-platinum is still lifetime-platinum in name only.
My gosh, Marriott is not looking to play gotcha as that would negatively impact future business. "Relax..." is a straight forward, easy to follow honest statement. LT status will be recognized going forward and will not end with the old program as you originally stated.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

And if that's the case, Marriott is not generating enough profit from you to justify the expense of having an assigned Ambassador which is the point. It's not charity, it's a business.
By that theory then corporate Marriott should cut back the extra service at its Asian properties. Some Courtyard andFairfield Inn properties even exceed the standards of full-service Marriott or Renaissance properties in North America. Asia and the Pacific are Marriott's fastest-growing markets. They've clearly made the calculation that their product there has to be better than it is in other regions.

Someone doing 125, 150 or 200 nights in Asia should be just as important as someone doing the same number of nights in North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.