Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

Thank you for the update.

It will be interesting what exactly current LT PLT in Marriott/SPG would give you, either LT PLT or LT PP. Let's hope it's LT PP, but honestly it wouldn't make that much of difference unless they make it as a published status and displays all the benefits that come along with it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, that. My math was a little off. You'd need to do 7 to 8 meetings....how cheap do these meeting rooms get?
Sometimes $50-100 for a boardroom at a random property in the middle of no-where. And it's 10 elite-qualifying nights per event contract.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Hilton didn't even keep one (public) tier sacred - they give it all away..
I think it is too early to tell how Hilton's decision to giveaway top-level diamond status will go over. It's been what under a year?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If it turns out that all the most worthwhile benefits (lounge access, suite upgrades, 4pm checkout, breakfast at resorts) only start from Plat 75 then it doesn't take a genius to work out which level all the LPTs will be grandfathered into.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by airswim
Doesn’t the spend requirement “at all levels above silver” already do this?
maybe but that was posted in a long laundry list of possibilities outside of what the OP told us. i guess anything is on the table at this point.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
What would happen if one manage to reach spend requirements, but short on nights count?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:07 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What about Centurion? They had been getting SPG Plat.

When I originally got the Centurion card in 2004 they comped SPG Platinum status. At some point they changed it and only granted Gold. It was one of the reasons I gave it up since that was a major motivating factor for me.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think it is too early to tell how Hilton's decision to giveaway top-level diamond status will go over. It's been what under a year?
Not even - I think the Aspire card has only been available for a couple months now.

Honestly, I suspect it will go over fine from the HH's perspective (people will sign up for the card) and won't actually affect Diamonds who get their status the "regular" way too much if at all. I've been HH Diamond for a few years...always a kind of low-end Diamond...and I rarely get upgraded. I'm assuming (hoping?) that hotels are recognizing higher-end Diamonds or guests who stay at their property frequently and upgrading them. Assuming that happens, I doubt Aspire Diamonds will jump to the front of the line. Either nobody gets upgraded or the truly top tier Diamonds are getting it. Many Hiltons seem to have very few suites, meaning we are probably all worrying about something that isn't even there in many cases.

I was just remarking that they didn't hold back a level only attainable by frequent stays. Not whether it's a good or bad thing. I can see some marketing benefit in having at least 1 very exclusive tier that you can't just buy into with a $450 credit card.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
An important question: Will I be issued a newly-branded solid metal membership card to replace my current metal SPG Lifetime Platinum membership card?
MilesTalk likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have a feeling one of two things is happening:

1) Someone in Bethesda is upset that this leaked (if it's true) and is trying to figure out the source. Remember, I posted a week or so back that it was unusual there have been no leaks as of now.

2) This was intentionally leaked and someone in Bethesda is copiously taking notes and monitoring this thread as well as the blogs to see the reaction.

If I had to guess, I would guess scenario 2, though I still think this is fake news.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sc flier
An important question: Will I be issued a newly-branded solid metal membership card to replace my current metal SPG Lifetime Platinum membership card?
Metal? I'd want that puppy made out of .999 pure platinum. Anything less and they're just cheaping out on you.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I have a feeling one of two things is happening:

1) Someone in Bethesda is upset that this leaked (if it's true) and is trying to figure out the source. Remember, I posted a week or so back that it was unusual there have been no leaks as of now.

2) This was intentionally leaked and someone in Bethesda is copiously taking notes and monitoring this thread as well as the blogs to see the reaction.

If I had to guess, I would guess scenario 2, though I still think this is fake news.

Leaks can be strategic ....

But Bethesda seems to care more about Insiders than FT. Not sure why as I don't get the sense that those on Insiders travel as much as those on FT. And I haven't seen much in the blogo world.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
$20K for ambassador status may be steep for those of us who work for organizations with high discount/negotiated rates. I'm frequently at 120+ nights across both, and its a big reason of why I pick SPG over other brands. Hopefully they take that into consideration for us corporate travelers who still hit high value of nights but are beholden to policy as well.

If I lost my ambassador and could only get "Platinum Premier", there would be an incentive to diversify a bit after 75.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by malexander131
$20K for ambassador status may be steep for those of us who work for organizations with high discount/negotiated rates. I'm frequently at 120+ nights across both, and its a big reason of why I pick SPG over other brands. Hopefully they take that into consideration for us corporate travelers who still hit high value of nights but are beholden to policy as well.

If I lost my ambassador and could only get "Platinum Premier", there would be an incentive to diversify a bit after 75.
This is a very good point and one I've been thinking about today. I'm in the exact same boat. I'm stuck with picking rooms within policy and we get good negotiated rates so that spend would be extremely tough for me. Would really be a shame to be at 120+ nights and be stuck at PP thanks to spend.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:46 pm

I checked into a Marriott recently using mobile check-in and the check-in card the associate passed me had S, G, P and PP on it (with my status circled).

I was wondering since when Marriott had a PP Status; this probably explains!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yunnnn
I checked into a Marriott recently using mobile check-in and the check-in card the associate passed me had S, G, P and PP on it (with my status circled).

I was wondering since when Marriott had a PP Status; this probably explains!
There wouldn't be materials with this out there yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.